2009 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 042015

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving and accelerating, the vehicle would jerk. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice where it was diagnosed that sensors failed and would need to be replaced. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the fuel pump was changed, but the failure persisted. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Trezevant, TN, USA

Sep 142016

Vehicle took longer than normal to start. Smelled fuel found fuel leak coming from fuel line near drivers side rear wheel. Saw fuel leaking out on to the floor of garage while pulling the car inside.

- Pontiac, IL, USA

Sep 082016

After finding her car hard to start in the morning accompanied by the smell of gasoline (the longer it sits, the worse the smell) my daughter took her car to a local garage. He found gasoline on top of the tank. He advised her to take the car to a dealership because of a previous issue on the Cobalt for a fuel pump module (see NHTSA campaign 12V459000). They pulled the tank down and found the fuel lines rusted through allowing the fuel to come out in an enclosed, inaccessible area. This is a serious risk because of the chance of a spark from the pump contacting these fuel vapors. It is also a very expensive repair (over $1000 charged) that will cause people to delay in having it fixed.

- Okeana, OH, USA

Jul 302016

The car lights will flicker on and off while driving. Strong smell of gas after I put the car in park. Been going on for the flickering 2 months now. For the fuel 2 weeks now

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 082016

I'm smelling a loud gas smell coming from the back of car and light smell coming hrough the vents occasionally. I can smell it will driving and it's louder when it's still

- Thomson, GA, USA

Aug 012016

I smelled a faint gasoline smell and my six year old daughter and I would get headaches during car trips. The smell got worse over a few days and then I noticed a gas dripping from under the rear driver's side area. There is a current recall, however Pennsylvania state is not included under the recall / expansion 09V-419 (GM campaign number 12190). My daughter sits right above this leak and I had the fuel pump replaced years ago due to faulty wiring which caused a melted mess inside gas tank where pump is located GM has yet to respond about that issue). The leak is now constant and the car is not safe.

- Kittanning, PA, USA

Aug 012016

Car starts hard, smells like gas inside and out. Wet with gas near gas tank when running. After sitting a long while, no gas is apparent on gas tank.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Jul 312016

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the vehicle was stationary, fuel leaked from the fuel tank onto the ground. The fuel leak came from under the driver's seat of the vehicle. It was diagnosed that the fuel line disintegrated and the vehicle needed new fuel lines and a new fuel tank. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- St Petersburg, FL, USA

Jul 202016

Fuel leakimg from the gas lines, leaving puddles of fuel underneith vehicle and a strong fuel odor while vehicle is running and turned off. Engine hesitant to start as well.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Jul 182016

I am experiencing a very strong gas smell and now it takes multiple times to start. I am seeing a puddle of gas just below the rear passenger seat on the ground when the car sits for a while. My mechanic says that he is also going to have to drop the fuel tank to fix this. I see that other states have this as a recall and am wondering why Ohio isn't included in the recall. It seems like the right thing to do since it is the same model and year as the recall in other states and it is obviously a related issue!

- West Milton, OH, USA

Jun 232016

Smell of fuel, wiring harness in tank at fuel pump burnt causing car to stall, and towed to steves auto repair, burlington Washington. Vehicle has been there for 5 days cannot find replacement oem parts.

- Bow, WA, USA

Jun 152016

Rusted fuel line leeking gasoline

- Lake Wales, FL, USA

Apr 192016

I have recently had my Cobalt to the Chevy dealership in redlands ca due to a horrible gas smell. The dealership looked if my car was under recall for the fuel pump however it was not. I indeed had a crack on the fuel pump having to replace it as the fuel smell was over the top. I paid for the part and labor out of pocket yet wonder why my VIN was not recalled when I have a 2009 Chevy Cobalt with the exact same fuel pump issue"?"

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Apr 152016

I started to notice a gas smell when my car was parked in the garage. Looking all over the car I don't any indications of a fuel leak, no drips, nothing. The smell is most definitely coming from the rear of the car. Googling around I found bulletin no.: 12190A which talks about certain cars in particular states, of which my state is not included. I called GM to see if there was anything they could do to help me but they said that there were no recalls for my car and that I would have to cover the cost, point blank despite other cars having the very same problem.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Mar 122016

My 2009 Cobalt began jerking when accelerating over the last few months and just 3 days ago, as I was driving down the road, my car stalls and won't turn back on. After looking at symptoms, it is very apparent that the fuel pump has gone out

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Aug 152015

Fuel pump had to be replaced due to a leak of a plastic part on the pump, when I contacted G.M. the recall was only in certain states. With this being a fire hazard why was Ohio not part of recall

- Orient, OH, USA

Nov 202015

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. While the vehicle was parked, a strong odor of fuel was noticed. The contact observed fuel leaking onto the ground. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Nov 022015

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that there was a fuel line failure in front of the rear passenger side tire. The fuel line vibrated on the clamp of the tire, which caused a hole in the fuel line. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Crossville, TN, USA

Oct 032015

Smelt fuel near the car when leaving work about 6:30 pm on 10/3/15. Car did not initially start. Took car to auto zone to have battery, alternator and started checked, which were all in proper working condition. The auto zone worker could smell fuel also and inspected for a leak. He found the leak near the left rear tire. The next day Firestone inspected the car and provided the following: "found hard fuel lines rotted out above the lr tire. Recommend taking to dealership to have new line assembly installed." A local auto mechanic informed me that the part leaking on my car is the same part recalled on other GM vins. He told me to stop driving the car immediately. He told me the only reason my car didn't catch on fire is because of all the recent rain we have had.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Feb 282013

I'm emailing you in regards to problems I had with my car.. all this was repaired and I called back and forth to the manufacture and was treated like I was stupid.. it was a bad time in my life and the car situation didn't help.. now I'm reading this on line, because my fuel line is leaking.. seen this recall, but was told there wasn't a recall on it and that time.. my car was at dealerships on and off for over a month.. then I had to pay.... I listed the VIN#. above and this was the case # 71-1160509209.. GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace the fuel pump module, free of charge. Notification to owners began on on November 21, 2012. Owners were instructed to not bring their vehicles in for repair until January 2013. Additional info:GM's campaign number is 12190.this recall is an expansion of recall.

- Louisville, KY, USA