CarComplaints.com Notes: What’s that smell – it’s a tad sweet with a tinge of chemical toxicity? If you own a 2011 Cruze it’s probably a coolant leak. It’s a widespread and notorious problem for the car and is the subject of a class-action lawsuit filed in the state of New York. And that’s not the only problem 2011 owners face…

Many say the 2011 model year suffers from a throttle lag that is probably due to a fauly electronic throttle control. The problem is signifigant enough that some owners say they are too scared to drive their cars. Those that do get behind the wheel often say their transmission isn’t shifting properly and problems start occuring as early as 15,000 miles.

All of this leads us to say you’re probably better off without this car’s headaches (they’re probably chemically-induced anyway).

2011 Chevrolet Cruze seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze:

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 242012

Cruze 4-cyl

The sensor to turn on the passenger side airbag does not turn on the airbag when my wife sits down. She weighs 115 lbs.. this is the second time this has happened. I first reported it to the Chevrolet dealer about six months ago.the first time the dealer called Chevrolet and changed the seat sensor. This fixed the problem until just this date, July 24, 2012. I just returned the car to the dealer with my wife in the seat and the airbag light indicating the bag was off and no one was in the seat. This is a serious defect and I think Chevrolet or the NHTSA should order a recall. They said it was a weight problem. I was told they would look into it and let me know what will be done. They also indicated it was not a new problem and was occurring in other products. I need your help to get this dangerous problem fixed. Thank you for your consideration.

- Hillsville, VA, USA

Oct 132011

Cruze

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the air bag warning light consistently illuminated, showing that the air bags were disengaged when a person was sitting in the passenger seat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that was the design of the vehicle. There was no recalls for the failure. There was a technical service bulletin available for the failure under NHTSA item number: 10042288 (electrical system: Instrument panel). The manufacturer was not notified of the issue and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 12,700.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Nov 162011

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact wanted owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the front passenger side air bag sensor malfunctioned. The front passenger side air bag would not identify a passenger sitting in the passenger seat and the air bag would not activate. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the front passenger seat cover was removed and the sensor was replaced. The failure continued. The manufacturer was notified and stated that there were no other remedies for the failure. The failure mileage was 2,600. Updated 02/15/12 update 03/16/12

- Waterford, MI, USA

Sep 032011

Cruze 4-cyl

Just a few day's after buying our new car we noticed on occasion the passenger air bag lite would not indicate on.. took it back to the dealer and they tried it out and it worked for them.the second time we took it to the dealer they did see the Chevy said that they could reset something and it would help. The third time we took it back to they put a new sensor in the seat.. now it is up there a 4th time for them to see what is going on... they dealer has been wonderful on trying to take care of the issue... I have looked on the internet and there is several complaints on this... can we just request that Chevy let us buy another model?

- Brush, CO, USA

Sep 012011

Cruze

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the front air bag light would intermittently illuminate while driving 30 mph and above and when a passenger was seated in the front passenger seat. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Olney, MD, USA

Sep 232011

Cruze 4-cyl

The initial problem was the airbag indicator light did not come on when my wife sat down in the passenger seat. It was an intermittent problem with the light not coming on to show the airbags were active. We took it back to the dealer and they could not duplicate it. I waited about a week and it happened again. I took it to the dealer with the airbag light off with my wife in the seat. They replaced the sensor in the seat. For about a week all was ok. Then we were coming home from a shopping trip and my wife sat down and the light indicating the airbags were active did not come on. I drove directly to the dealer, about thirty minutes, and with my wife in the seat showed him. The service manager called GM and was on the phone for about 45 minutes. They connected the vehicle to the GM computer with my wife in the seat and ran a number of tests. The GM people indicated to the service manager that they were aware of the problem and told him not to touch anything that the vehicle meets all government specifications. They said they would call back in 24-48 hours. They did and claimed there was nothing wrong with the airbags and said all of the 2011 Chevrolet Cruze were the same as mine. They said there was nothing more to be done. The problem has not reoccurred yet, but we are skeptical about the outcome and notified you folks. I just hope if we have a headon and the light indicates the airbag is off we will have a problem and GM will have a problem.

- Hillsville,, VA, USA

Feb 182011

Cruze

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact was involved in a crash where the vehicle rear ended another vehicle and went into a ditch. The contact stated that they could smell the powder from the air bags although they did not deploy. An onstar representative called and stated that they received a message stating that the air bags deployed. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop where it would be inspected by the manufacturer to determine why the air bags did not deploy. The current and failure mileages were 7,000.

- Manassas, VA, USA