Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jan 152014

Recently, car radio has been flickering on and off, along with service notifications of stabili trac, traction control. Chevy dealer notified, serviced car, found nothing and has no explanation. Today, stopped at a corner to make a right hand turn. As I was accelerating at approx 2-3 mph around the corner, then steering was lost and could not turn the corner. Lost all control of car. Very fortunate there was no damage or injury to anything or anyone. Scary incident that could of had a worse outcome.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Aug 012013

I am having problems with the electrical inside my car cutting in and out, all electrical turns off. Service checks come across dashboard for power steering, stability check control, and traction control. The power steering has stopped working at times as well. I am not sure but if you are turning it appears that the turn signals stop working from inside the vehicle. Headlights are dimmer than normal when it cuts in and out, it flickers with the shortages. I have taken it to the dealership three times now. The first time they tightened a ground wire, the second time they couldn't find a problem, third time they replaced the engine control module, and now I'm taking it back a fourth time to have the body control module replaced. This problem continues to get worse.

- Otsego, MI, USA

Oct 292013

Cruze 4-cyl

The radio electrical panel would turn on & off intermittently, then the drivers gauge panel would flicker. After the gauge panel flickered, the power steering warning light came on and the power steering shut off. Then the traction control warning light came on and the traction control stopped working. Then I went to roll up the windows and the whole dash panel flickered, then the windows would not roll up. There appears to be a serious electrical problem in the vehicle somewhere. It acts as though there is a short in the wiring harness somewhere. I am taking it to the Chevrolet dealer for diagnostics.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Aug 272013

Cruze 4-cyl

This started this week, the electrical parts (radio, speakers, turning signal clicker, ac etc) will constantly flicker off then come back on after about ten seconds, every time I have the car running. The stability warning will sometimes go on but will eventually go out. The specific incident occurred the the 27th of August when I went to take a left turn, on to a highway. When I went to make a turn my power steering locked up and almost caused me to hit a passing car and get rear ended. It specifically locked up at about ten miles an hour while picking up speed. After I returned to my parking lot it locked up again and caused me to hit a barrier, slightly damaging the front bumper. Since then my power steering will sometimes lock up making it extremely difficult to turn.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Jul 152013

Cruze 4-cyl

While driving on ortega highway which is a two lane highway and is a connector road from inland empire to orange county with narrow lanes running thru cleveland national forest, I was driving with the flow of traffic and the car suddenly shut off, steering wheel locked, various computer panel lights started flashing and the car became uncontrollable to the point where it almost went over cliff. This was the most horrific experience and lucky to be alive. I have contacted GM directly and will contact the media in the event I receive no resolution. The car is a safety hazard at this point and not drivable. Sadly I just purchased the car in March of this year. I refuse to be stuck with this car that I completely lost trust to drive with myself let alone with my children.

- Riverside, CA, USA