2012 Chevrolet Cruze engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 222013

Cruze

1G1gp5sc1C7184724 VIN my car was taken to dealership because it started making a sound like the motor was ticking and had been overfilled with oil about 6 months before by the dealership. The serviceman waited until next day to drive the car. While being test drove by the service man it caught on fire and burned the whole motor and outside of the car up. All plastic was completely burned. My insurance man who went to look at the car said he could not tell if the plastic shield on the bottom had oil on it or not but they could further investigate and would be able to find out. Now I had insurance full coverage on the car and I bought gap from the dealership when I purchased the car. I am paying a 6.25 interest rate on the car which came to $22,740 plus $3,000 down when purchased and been paying for 1 year. Payed for extended warranty and gap. I have waited over a month for GM to investigate this and of today's date the dealership says they have not come to do their job. I am 64 years old and never dreamed that a large dealership could or would do someone like they have done me. There was very large recall on 2012 cars and I don't know if mine was ever fixed because I didn't know about the recall until this happened. I just want my money back for the down payment so I can buy another car and for my car to be paid off by the dealership because they are the ones who over filled the car in the first place. The dealership should be responsible for the car it was in there place there service men was driving it when it caught on fire.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Mar 132014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, a fire started in the engine compartment. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Edna, TX, USA

Oct 092013

Cruze

Driving on rural road temperature gage went all the way to hot. Stopped car looked under hood there was no liquid in the antifreeze tank went to a house and got water to fill it up. Temp gauge went back to normal. Check engine stayed on. Took car to dealer for inspection they said thermostat housing replaced. Every thing fine. On 1/24/2014 the same thing happened this time the cooling fan was racing like I had never heard before pulled in to a mall parking lot raised hood antifreeze tank empty. I looked and saw green liquid where the pipe from antifreeze tank connects to the engine. The vehicle is definitely loosing antifreeze where the coolant goes in to the engine.. this is the second time I almost burned the engine.

- Kemp, TX, USA

Feb 042013

Cruze

Noxious coolant smell inside vehicle when heater is on. Coolant smell coming from engine compartment when it is warm. The water pump has been changed, next repair was re routing coolant resevoir, next repair was mold found in heater core compartment/cleaned and deoderizer was used, last repair was heater core case replaced. This problem started with a leaking water pump and has not been addressed. Seems GM is trying different repairs in hopes it will be fixed. The problem doesn't, T seem to be diagnosed. Only happens in cold weather months with the heater on. Heated air from the vents smell like burned coolant. Very irritating to the eyes and throat, eyes are watery and swollen, very difficult to see and drive. Then severe coughing. We can not safely drive longer than 20 minutes. My dealer tells me they never heard of this problem yet is quick search of the internet shows many documented cases. The smell of coolant is in our clothes and the fabric of the interior of the car.

- Clovis, NM, USA

Jan 142013

Cruze

Engine does not maintain engine temperature and consequently does not have consistent heat. It will go from 170 degrees to 100 in less than 3 blocks. This will cause the windows to frost over and limit visibility. It has become unsafe to drive in the winter. It has been in for repairs about 8 times in two years with no success. I also contacted Chevrolet customer care. They told me not to turn the heater fan in past level 2 until the engine reaches operating temperature. The problem is that it rarely does or holds it very long. This winter in mn has ranged all the way to -20. Regardless of temperature it does the same thing. My research indicates this has been an issue with the Cruze at least since 2011.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Mar 012012

Cruze

Coolant smell inside vehicle cabin and outside of vehicle. Noticed when I first purchased the car during the winter. This occurs after extended drives, typically more than 30 minutes, during cold weather when using the heat. Problem has progressively gotten worse. GM has looked into it approximately 8 times. 4 repair attempts (coolant reservoir cap replacement, water pump, coolant reservoir modification and HVAC assembly replacement). Problem has not been resolved. Internet search has revealed many owners experiencing the same condition, as well as a class action law suit due to the coolant smell inside the vehicle cabin. This is a health risk to all occupants. Further research revealed affected models include the: Cruze, Malibu and sonic.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Nov 112013

Cruze

I bought a 2012 Chevy Cruze received recall letter first of 10/13 was stated in letter no parts were available but when they were I would get it fixed free. I approached intersection my brake went to floor was T boned and total loss of my car this car has 6 airbags none of them deployed..not getting anywhere with GM.

- Salisbury, NC, USA

Sep 182012

Cruze 4-cyl

To begin with, I have had several problems with my 2012 Chevy Cruze and have been given the runaround. My first concern is that I bought my 2012 Chevy Cruze on 09/18/2012 and was notified days later of a major safety recall about the possibility of engine fires from fluid spills. I find out that this recall was announced on 06/22/12.(NHTSA campaign #:12V288000) why was I sold a vehicle that was under recall for 3 months" and was never even mentioned prior or post sale. Onstar had to notify me and then I had to get it fixed. My second concern is that there is an coolant smell in the cab of the vehicle and although not always noticeable, it is more noticeable in colder weather. Took vehicle to dealer and they played stupid and said they don't smell anything and that the smell could be a "dirty cabin air-filter"" nobody wants to smell coolant when driving!! my third concern is that when taking off from a dead stop or accelerating after letting off the gas for a second the vehicle almost always shifts roughly. Took to dealer and was told that its probably just the "turbo kicking in". my fourth concern is about the recall (NHTSA campaign #:12V288000) my vehicle(where the engine shield was) is already rusting and is a very big concern with the future of my vehicle(even after warranty period) rust never goes well with a vehicle! I'm concerned that parts will wear prematurely because of this! not to mention that I am getting less mpg since the shields been removed. Now today I get another major safety recall about my brakes.(NHTSA campaign #:13V360000) which would explain why my brakes sometimes require me to press them really hard all the way down to stop it. It currently sits at around 26,000 miles, I am thus far very dissatisfied with the vehicle. I don't know my options but know that if things don't start looking better, I will never buy Chevy or recommend Chevy again.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Sep 222013

Cruze

Started vehicle drove 2 miles engine RPM started increasing without pressing excellerator I looked down at temperature gage and it was maxed all the way to hot. Stopped the turned engine off raised the hood couldn't see any reason for car to be hot in such a short distance of driving. After about 45 minutes started car up check engine light came on will not go off. The car information center said oil life zero. The oil was changed 3000 mile ago. A week before I checked the info center on oil life and it said 60% luckly I live in a rural area not in a city with traffic. When the engine reved up it sped up and my foot was off the gas.

- Kemp, TX, USA

Nov 162012

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the navigational system provided failed and would provide erroneous directions. In addition, the contact was concerned about the push-to-start button feature because the vehicle could be started within five minutes of being parked without the key being used. In addition, the contact stated that the push-to-start feature could not recognize the key while it was in the trunk of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failures. The dealer advised the contact that the navigational system chip needed to be updated. The manufacturer was also contacted and advised that the push-to-start feature was operating as designed and that the vehicle could not read the key while it was in the trunk because the vehicle was not equipped with the onstar system that was able to perform that function. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 400 and the current mileage was 10,500.

- Estill Springs , TN, USA

Jun 152013

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated while driving approximately 65 mph, the air conditioner failed and emitted hot air. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who confirmed that the condenser needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000. The current mileage was 31,000.

- Weleepka, OK, USA

Feb 152011

Cruze

I don't believe the current resolution to GM's recall on the Chevy Cruze concerning the engine splash pan is adequate as it only addresses safety and not customer satisfaction. As this part directly affects the fuel mileage as advertised as well as the degradation of underwood parts due to water encroachment, I don't believe butchering the existing pan is fair to the consumer. At the least, the redesigned pan on the 2013 and any or all updates made to the 2013 model regarding this safety issue are what should have been completed. I am not satisfied with the current solution in that I no longer have what I paid for due to said recall and its poor solution.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jun 152012

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while parked, he noticed a burning anti-freeze smell through the vents and around the exterior of the vehicle. Additionally, the contact noticed a jerking motion and a hesitation when accelerating. The vehicle was taken to the dealer five times for diagnosis. The technician performed updates to the transmission and replaced the canister inside the dashboard to alleviate the burning smell. The failure continued after the repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 4,000. The VIN was not available.

- Cass City, MI, USA

Oct 102012

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the auto thermostat needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The approximate failure unknown and current mileage was 30,340.

- Marsa, TX, USA

Mar 272013

Cruze

Strong odor of coolant entering the interior of car when heater is used. Becomes stronger if window is open while driving. Odor is not present when at standstill. Open opening hood with engine off odor can be sensed near the water pump area. Dealer replaced water pump a week ago to remedy the problem. The vehicle has 28 K on it.

- Mc Gregor, MN, USA

Aug 152012

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that there was a sour odor being emitted inside the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and found that there was antifreeze, water and mold under the all-weather floor mats. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was determined that a plug had not been removed in the line, causing the leak inside the vehicle. The dealer replaced the carpet and the firewall insulator pad however, the mold remained. In addition, the contact stated that due to the prolonged leak and the extensive mold that accumulated in the vehicle, it was a possibility that the contact had developed legionnaires disease. It was later determined that the contact had inhaled large amounts of ethylene glycol and suffered major respiratory illness. The manufacturer was contacted and offered to purchase the vehicle back from the contact at the original price. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 23,500.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Jul 282012

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 12V288000 (engine and engine cooling). After the repairs were completed, the contact noticed that the power steering harness had been chewed and felt that the engine was no longer protected since the engine cover was removed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the power steering harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 2,535. The current mileage was approximately 6,000.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Jan 152013

Cruze

Coolant smell in cab, HVAC intake duct mounted less than 6inches from coolant surge tank vent. In cold weather it smell seems worse. Love the car but this should not be happening with a 2012 car, within minutes of starting to breath this poison I get cramps in my sinuses & start to get a mild headache. Reading online seems gms current fix to quiet the issue by buying back customers cars, that leaves the rest of us Cruze owners breathing fumes.

- New Glarus, WI, USA

Aug 012012

Cruze 4-cyl

Antifreeze fumes originate in the engine compartment and leak into the passenger compartment.

- Westford, MA, USA

Nov 142012

Cruze 4-cyl

Vehicle vents antifreeze vapors and fuel vapors into driver/passenger compartment. Odors can become noxious.

- Silverdale , WA, USA