2012 Chevrolet Cruze steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 152014

Cruze

Our 2012 Chevy Cruze started with the radio turning "off" and "on" on its own the month after we bought the car. A month later it happened again as well as left my wife stranded at a store. Car didn't want to turn on. I figured it may have been a bad battery. Before I could even "jump" the vehicle, the car got all power back on with no problem. The 3rd time radio turned off and on on its own and then shut down completely with no power to vehicle at the same store near my wife's work. I noticed nothing electrical worked in the car, like hazard lights, brake lights, and anything that should have 12 volt constant power. I now carry a multimeter in the car. On a 400 mile drive on the highway I experience the radio issue as well as "stabilitrac", and many other malfunction lights displaying on and off on my dash while driving 75 mph. I even recorded this while driving. My family and I were on vacation and while driving I lost power steering then the car shut down and left us stranded with no power again. Wait about 10 to 15 minutes, the car will return back to normal like nothing happened. Took it straight to the dealer right at that moment and they couldn't duplicate the problems. Returned home from vacation and it all happened again in traffic while driving. My wife and kids were in the car. I called for a tow truck and towed it to the Chevy dealership in town. I left it with them for 4 days and they still couldn't find anything wrong with the car. This car still continues to turn off to this day and ive only had the car for 6 month now. I won't let my family in this car. I have also experienced the door locks, lock and unlock on its own and the wipers activated on there own. Not sure whether it could be a bad ECU, BCM, electrical harness, fuse boxes. The ECU was reprogrammed at the 2000 miles for an unknown reason. Wish I had bought a different car instead of this lemon

- Corpus Chrisit, TX, USA

Apr 072014

Cruze

As I drive down the road my stability trak light comes on and my radio turns on and off. Now my power steering goes out and my car won't always start. I've taken it in 3 times to have these issues fixed and nobody can seem to figure out what is wrong. I've been left stranded with my 3 year old son because my car wont start. I've only had this car 2 months and it is by far the worst car I have ever had.

- Umatilla, OR, USA

Feb 052014

Cruze

I was sitting at a stoplight to turn left. After the light turned green I applied pressure to the gas pedal and noticed a slight loss of power. As I proceeded through the turn I had difficulty turning as though I had no power steering. Once through the turn I still has no power steering and noted a message on the dash reading "service steering". I controlled the car to the next stoplight which was approximately 1/2 mile during which time I still had no power steering. At the stop light I turned the car off, and started it again. After restarting the car I had no more problems with the steering. Prior to this instance and multiple times following I have had issues with the electrical system failing. It usually begins with the radio board "blinking" off. By blinking I mean that the radio completely shuts off and the radio dash lights blink off and on until it finally returns to full power. But usually its not a one time thing. There are times where this occurs every 5 seconds until I'm able to pull the car over and turn it off. While this occurs I will get a message on my dash cluster saying to "service stabilitrac" along with several other cluster lights that blink. I have taken this car to the dealership where it was purchased and they have not been able to reproduce what I've experienced, and such they have not been able to fix anything. This first began while the car was under bumper to bumper warranty, but that has since passed and if they were able to actually fix anything I would be stuck with the bill.

- Cersco, NE, USA

Apr 012013

Cruze

After about 15 minutes on the interstate at a speed of about 60mph the steering seems to have a spot that it sticks in and does not seem safe. Have called dealership but they say they havent heard of this problem but I can have it checked. It does not seem to happen everytime so I havent taken it in.

- Brownsburg, IN, USA

Apr 012014

Cruze

Vehicle started with the radio panel light flashing on and off and the radio would also turn off. Today the electrical problems progressed greatly, impacting the power stealing I was turing around the corner and, the steering seems to stick/bind and requires additional effort to make a steering correction. I almost hit the car waiting in the corner for the light. But I was able to control the steering while even though it was very hard to do.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Feb 052014

Cruze

While driving all the lights are coming on, on the dashboard. The brake lights, service stabilitrak light, and the ABS light and the radio blinks on and off and then sometimes the radio stays off for several minutes. I had taken the care to the dealership to have them to check it and they advised me it was my thermostat causing the issue. They replaced the thermostat which was under warranty and the dealership said everything was ok to go. A week later the all the lights on the dashboard came back on again I took it back to the dealership and they advised me they didnt see any codes reading that there was and issue. I showed them the pictures and the video that I captured while the car was doing it and they advised me I had a electrical problem but they can't find it. The problem is still an issue and its still doing the same thing

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 222014

Cruze

I purchased a used Chevy Cruze, previous rental, from the Chevy dealer about a month ago. Within the past week I began to have intermittent electrical issues, which started with the radio panel light flashing on and off and the radio would also turn off for several mins at a time. Today the electrical problems progressed greatly, impacting the power stealing and I lost power steering completely while driving. In addition, multiple warning signals began to flash: Power steering, stabilink, brakes and security traction control. This happened while driving, thankfully I was going at a very low speed otherwise this could have been a potential serious and dangerous situation as I briefly lost control of the car and almost crashed at 10mph (or less.) thankfully I was already on my way to the dealer (1 miles away) for an appointment for servicing that I had previously scheduled due to this issue. Once I got to the dealer they were able to see the issues first hand. I turned off the car and then this car completely died. I left the car at the dealer and hope this issue is resolved and the car is safe to drive. Honesty, I am very nervous to drive the car in fear that the car is unsafe and these issues will continue.

- Murrieta , CA, USA

Dec 182013

Cruze

Driving at speeds in the 40 to 75 mph range on a straight road, if there is no steering adjustment for a few seconds, the steering seems to stick/bind and requires additional effort to make a steering correction. Almost as if the electric power steering "falls asleep".

- Florence, AL, USA

Jan 302014

Cruze

Vehicle momentarily steered to right without driver input. Vehicle was going straight on interstate at approx. 70 mph and pulled to right for approx. One second, then went back to normal. Happened approximately seven times on 110 mile drive. We (wife and I) were just fortunate that no one was near us in right lane when these anomalies occurred. Took vehicle to dealer and dealer put approx. 100 more miles on vehicle and could not duplicate problem. Dealer checked alignment and it was within specifications. Have researched online and found vehicles with jtekt eps system having similar steering anomalies. Concerned that steering input not controlled by driver can cause vehicle accident at highway speed. This is a potential "catastrophic" safety issue, so please investigate.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Feb 032014

Cruze

Electrical issues that include loss of power steering while driving: Warning indicators would flash on and off, such as "service stabilitrack", "service power steering" and "service ABS", while driving. Radio began shutting on and off while driving. When the display & radio shuts off, even the blinker wouldn't make a sound. What I find alarming is during these episodes, the power steering actually fails for a short period of time. On a 20 minute drive, I experienced 4 failures and the above electrical issues happening non-stop for the duration of the trip. A day later, as a test, I drove my car around my neighborhood (less than a 1 minute drive) and experienced all the same issues, including loss of power steering. I have scheduled service with a dealer. A search on the internet shows an alarming number of Chevy Cruze owner with this issue, which points to manufacturing or design defect and not wear & tear. Loss of power steering while in motion would seem to be a safety issue and should be addressed.

- Indian Land, SC, USA

Jan 032014

Cruze

It begins with the radio blinking on and off when this is happening there are several things we notice that goes on in the instrument panel such as signal lights no sound, sometimes putting the window up will trigger the wrench to be displayed, also loss of the ability to turn the wheel. No cruse control when the radio is blinking.

- Martinsville, VA, USA

Jan 192014

- Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Nov 152013

Cruze 4-cyl

The center information center with the radio began shutting on and off while driving. When the display & radio shuts off, even the blinker wouldn't make a sound. Sometimes during this a notification would come up "service traction control" and/or "service stabilitrack." I tried troubleshooting it myself for a few days. Sometimes the blinker, seat warmer, or even plugging in my phone to the usb port seemed to trigger it. I noticed the voltage fluctuating from 12.9 - 15.2V while driving or at a stop. The day that I took the vehicle in for repair, all the notification lights began to blink and then the power steering went out during a left turn. The dealership replaced both battery cables and mentioned that they've had many of these cars in with this same issue. The issue appeared to be resolved and the car was running great, until yesterday 1/15/14. Everything mentioned above, except for the power steering loss, is happening again. If you search the internet and youtube, you'll quickly see this is a growing problem that needs to be resolved and recalled.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 152014

Cruze

Recently, car radio has been flickering on and off, along with service notifications of stabili trac, traction control. Chevy dealer notified, serviced car, found nothing and has no explanation. Today, stopped at a corner to make a right hand turn. As I was accelerating at approx 2-3 mph around the corner, then steering was lost and could not turn the corner. Lost all control of car. Very fortunate there was no damage or injury to anything or anyone. Scary incident that could of had a worse outcome.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Cruze 4-cyl

At highway speeds, when trying to make a slight steering correction, the steering wheel seems to stick and it takes extra effort move the steering wheel. That extra effort suddenly moves the steering wheel because the power steering seems to return and this causes the car to move as though the driver is jerking the steering wheel. It is very difficult to hold a steady, smooth track at highway speeds. The steering can also exhibit this same type of sticking while sitting stationary but this doesn not cause a dangerous situation. Though it does not do this all of the time, it is easy to drive the vehicle long enough to start this erratic steering issue. The dealer has stated that the GM service rep has never heard of such a problem and they have no tsb's or recalls in effect so they can do nothing. This is the same method of ignoring the problem that GM used in dealing with the brake booster micro switch issue. Never heard of that problem either, even though many people had complained of the same thing on a Chevy forum and numerous wrecks had occurred. "never heard of the problem so we can't fix it" or is it more like "we can't fix it so we have never heard of that problem".

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Nov 012013

Cruze 4-cyl

Driving in a straight line for ~10-15 seconds at speeds over 40 mph will cause the steering wheel to "stick" in what feels like a notch that requires an over-correction to get the car to respond and change direction again. When this happens, the car's electric steering will kick back in with a little swerve to the left or right that feels slightly dangerous in slick conditions where over-correction could lead to a slide.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Dec 172013

Cruze 4-cyl

The radio and dash board lights (service stabilitrak) have been flashing on and off then this evening while driving on a straight road, the "service power steering" light flashed on and my steering wheel locked up. That continued for approx. 2 minutes then started working correctly. When I got home and pulled into my parking spot and turned my car off everything turned off, including my interior lights and I couldn't remove my key from the ignition. I let it sit for approx. 5 minutes then tried to start the car and it did turn on so I turned it off again and I was able to remove the key. The dealership I bought the car from two months ago (used, with 38K miles) told me that this is not covered under the power train warranty but would have been covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty (expired before I bought the car). Now, I'm responsible for paying for a serious defect that could potentially result in a serious or fatal incident. Chevrolet/General Motors -- please fix this without causing consumers any further monetary, physical, or emotional issues.

- Columbus, MS, USA

Apr 012013

Cruze 4-cyl

Steering binds/sticks at speeds above 45 mph when driving on a straight road. Addition effort is required to adjust steering when this occurs. This could lead to an accident since additional effort is required to change steering direction and could result in over correction. Dealer replaced steering gear assembly but the problem returned after about 5,000 miles.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Aug 012013

Cruze

I am having problems with the electrical inside my car cutting in and out, all electrical turns off. Service checks come across dashboard for power steering, stability check control, and traction control. The power steering has stopped working at times as well. I am not sure but if you are turning it appears that the turn signals stop working from inside the vehicle. Headlights are dimmer than normal when it cuts in and out, it flickers with the shortages. I have taken it to the dealership three times now. The first time they tightened a ground wire, the second time they couldn't find a problem, third time they replaced the engine control module, and now I'm taking it back a fourth time to have the body control module replaced. This problem continues to get worse.

- Otsego, MI, USA

Oct 232013

Cruze 4-cyl

I was driving my vehicle pulling up to a stoplight and as I was stopping my radio turned off and a warning came up on my display saying to service power steering I could feel my power steering go out at this time. This has happened several times as well as warnings saying to service traction control. I took my vehicle to the dealer for repair. Before I did this I researched online my issue and found that the most likely problem was the negative battery cable. I told the repair department about my research and that was what was wrong with the vehicle. My concern is that if the power steering had gone out while I was turning this could have caused and accident.

- Mansfield, TX, USA