2012 Chevrolet Cruze steering NHTSA complaints: Steering

NHTSA — Steering Problems

2012 Chevrolet Cruze (Page 1 of 3)

2012 Chevrolet Cruze steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 232014

Cruze

We were driving on rt 206 in jersey and the steering wheel locked up and the car went off the road. The car was totalled. About a week later I received a letter from Chevy stating this is a known issue that the steering had increased friction and can cause the steering to lock up.

- Milford, PA, USA

Aug 152013

Cruze

While driving on the highway, I noticed that the steering wheel would intermittently "stick" in center position, making it difficult to make the minor adjustments necessary to drive straight on a road that is not perfectly flat. My car has had this issue intermittently the entire time I have owned it, and occurs in varying degrees. I received the letter that Chevrolet was doing a special coverage warranty extension for the problem, yet my dealership cannot reproduce the issue and will not fix it. I feel this is completely unacceptable. A part defect in the steering system like this should be fixed with a recall, fixing every vehicle. Because it's only a warranty extension, they will simply never reproduce the issue and it will never be fixed. This does not make me comfortable.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Dec 082014

Cruze

At low speeds, when turning, there is a grinding sensation in the steering wheel and can be felt in the floorboard. I have taken the vehicle to the dealership and they were unable to reproduce the problem. It only occurs after the car has been sitting for over 15 minute and has a chance to cool down.

- Vincennes, IN, USA

Feb 242014

Cruze

On a straight away the vehicle will drift and when you make a correction the steering wheel catches or sticks. The first time it happened in February 2014 it was discovered that the power steering gear was defective and was replaced under the 36,000 mile warranty. It has failed again on 11-10-14 for the same issue and part at 51,000 miles and is currently being replaced by the dealership at my cost of $1,348. On a snow covered road this vehicle would be uncontrollable and could cause a serious crash. It may also mimic an over correction due to the sudden jerk of the front wheels. If this would or has occurred to other owners, no one would suspect the power steering gear because it would be damaged in the crash.

- Marion, OH, USA

Jul 302014

Cruze

I bought this car for my daughter, the second or third week after she got it she started to notice the radio flickering on and off while driving for no reason, which eventually led to the radio flickering continuously after using blinkers &windows. "service stabilitrak" flashes on the display often but very quickly and goes off. Doesn't occur every time I drive, but it does it more times than not. Now the radio will flicker and I will occasionally lose cruise control and power steering. I also have no blinkers/radio when this happens. It usually only happens briefly and will return to normal soon after, but it continues to do it off and on until I park. I have also noticed this occurring when I shift gears to park. Most recently I went to start my car and it just clicked and wouldn't start. I got it to start and it said "service anti theft deterrent, " then changed to "service power steering" just as I lost power steering while driving. "service stabilitrak quickly flashed next all while I lost blinkers, power steering, and radio. I parked, turned my car off and restarted it and it was just fine. It has been to the Chevy dealer once but they could not get a code to read because they can't get the radio to flicker, etc because it only happens every so often but when it does happen it is scary! so there is nothing they can do to fix it. Please look into it as I do not feel it is safe for her to drive. This has been going on for 3 months now and I do not feel like this car is reliable which is the reason I bought it! there has to be something that can be done as I have read several complaints that are extremely similar to mine! I also have come to the conclusion that the problems are going to continue to worsen after reading the other complaints.it is a major problem. Please don't wait until something tragic happens before something is done about this! please!

- Roxie, MS, USA

Jun 122014

Cruze

I was driving to my parents house and was at a place where I had to turn so I turned and my steering wjeel locked up and I almost hit someone because my steering wheel wouldn't turn. This has happened several times and every time stability track pops up on my screen and my radio flickers on and off and my blinker doesn't make a sound when this happens. Now my brakes are starting to act up too when I press the brakes sometimes it rocks back and fourth while I'm stopped also the car makes a funny noise while in park.

- Whitesboro, TX, USA

Aug 232014

Cruze

I purchased my 2012 Chevy Cruze back in August 2012 at the Chevy dealer in montebello with "0" miles. Two weeks after I purchased the car it began to give me problems. It began to make this very loud noice like if I was driving a trailor. I took it to the dealer an I was told it was normal which is bs because ive never heard a small car that makes noise like that. I wasn't allowed to get refunded I was just given a bunch of bs. A month later it kept doing the same thing but this time the noise was coming from the hood, took it to the dealer and nothing. 3rd time I filed a complaint and said I was going to file a lawsuit and the took my car in an apparently they had to change my radiator, fan, brakes along with the disk. Even after all this my car continued doing the same thing but now it turns off!! I tried to turn on my car this Saturday and it just wouldnt start. It said something about theft, I disconnected the battery and then it gave a message about check power steering! this will be my 5th time taking it in! I think I have gotten ripped off!! I regreat purchasing this vehicle!! now im stuck with a jacked up car and a very high car payment that is not even worth paying for. And to top it off the dealer I purchased it from is no help!! they seem to get upset every time you take the car and tell them there is something wrong with it. Im a mother of 3 and my biggest fear is something happening to my children because of this. I purchase this car because I needed something reliable since im always on the road. One thing for sure, if any of my children get hurt because of this I will file a lawsuit because you guys are receiving many complaints and you are not doing anything about it.!!

- Los Angeles , CA, USA

Jun 012014

Cruze

I got my car in March & absolutely loved it! for the first few months I had no problems. Then I started to notice the radio flickering on and off while driving for no reason, which eventually led to the radio flickering continuously after using blinkers &windows. "service stabilitrak" flashes on the display often but very quickly and goes off. Doesn't occur every time I drive, but it does it more times than not. Now the radio will flicker and I will occasionally lose cruise control and power steering. I also have no blinkers/radio when this happens. It usually only happens briefly and will return to normal soon after, but it continues to do it off and on until I park. I have also noticed this occurring when I shift gears to park. Most recently I went to start my car and it just clicked and wouldn't start. I got it to start and it said "service anti theft deterrent, " then changed to "service power steering" just as I lost power steering while driving. "service stabilitrak quickly flashed next all while I lost blinkers, power steering, and radio. I parked, turned my car off and restarted it and it was just fine. It has been to the Chevy dealer multiple times but they cannot get a code to read because they can't get the radio to flicker, etc because it only happens every so often but when it does happen it is scary! so there is nothing they can do to fix it. Please look into it as I do not feel safe driving. This has been going on for 2 months now and I do not feel like this car is reliable which is the reason I bought it! there has to be something that can be done as I have read several complaints that are extremely similar to mine! I also have come to the conclusion that the problems are going to continue to worsen after reading the other complaints.it is a major problem. Please don't wait until something tragic happens before something is done about this! please!

- York, NE, USA

Jul 262014

Cruze

Stopped car tried to back up and it did not, then tried to turn off vehicle and the key would not go into the turn off mode. Could not turn the steering wheel, could not release the key, could not turn off the engine. The radio kept turning itself on. Waited 2 hours for triple a to come to tow the car to dealership. Engine ran for two hours. Tow arrived the driver said he had to force the gear shift several times in order to release the steering wheel and key and to turn off the engine so he could tow it. Also noticed an anit-freeze leak and this is being fixed under the power train warranty, do not know if is connected to the same issue. Dealer can't find anything wrong and I am afraid to drive this car

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Apr 192014

Cruze 4-cyl

On the first occurrence the lights on the radio display began to flicker and then all electrical power to the dashboard. The electrical came back on and the dash display depicted the warning message check stabilitrak. I took it to the dealership where I purchased the car and they said that high voltage codes C0800, 07 and high voltage history showed up on the scope and there were no issues. The second time the lights on the radio display began to flicker and then all electrical power to the dashboard, airbags and the electrically assisted power steering went out, while on a very steep mountain road and I had no control over the vehicle. The electrical came back on and the dash display depicted the warning message check stabilitrak. I took it to a different dealership and the dash flickering occurred with the service person in the car driving but nothing showed up when the mechanic was trying to fix it so they said there was nothing they could do. Two days later while my daughter was driving she lost power steering and the same issues with the dash and was involved in an accident, thank god her baby was not in the car. Please help!....updated 07/31/14

- Georgetown, CA, USA

Jul 202014

Cruze

Bought the car used from a non-Chevy dealer in June 2014. After about a month or so and 44000 mpg. All of a sudden, the time/temp/date display (along with the radio) started blacking out. Then a few times the "service power steering" warning light flashed on and off and we actually lost our power steering momentarily several times and today 07-20-2014 with me, my husband and 6yr old daughter in the car!!!! very scary. Then the "service stabilitrak" warning light flashed on and off as well. At the same time the time/temp/date blacks out again too. The car loses power when traveling at speeds over 50mph. All the warning lights have flickered on and off several times along with the power steering and stablitrak. This issue needs to be addressed. I will be contacting a dealer and legal action will be taken if issue isn't resovled. Peoples lives and safty are not something to be taken lightly.

- Troy, MO, USA

Jul 012014

Cruze

Purchased used 2012 Cruze from local Chevy dealer. Steering has no free play in the steering wheel, causing constant back and forth corrections and swerving in lane especially at high way speeds. Got pulled over by police thinking I was drunk. Also takes a lot of effort to keep the car centered down the lane, and if you stop focusing on the steering for even a second the car is swerving out of the lane. Congratulations to Chevy for producing such a fine product. Apparently they never thought to drive the prototype to see if the stupid thing works. Duhhhh thank you.

- Hollywood , CA, USA

Jun 192014

Cruze

On this particular occurrence the lights on the radio display began to flicker and then all electrical power to the dashboard, airbags, and the electrically assisted power steering went out. It remained off for approximately 10 to 15 seconds. As a result I had no control over the vehicle. The electrical came back on and the dash display depicted the warning message check stabltrack, or words to that effect. I took it to the dealership and they said that nothing showed up on the scope and there was nothing they could do. This has also happened to my grand daughter on 07/09/2014 out in Colorado as she is using the vehicle for school and work. Again the dealer states there is nothing showing up on the scope and they have not been able to duplicate the issue even though she had her friend record the event with their cell phone. During this event the vehicle could not be restarted after the vehicle was turned off in a parking lot. After an hour wait the vehicle was started.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Jul 052014

Cruze

-the following symptoms occur intermittently (approximately one time per month) -while operating the vehicle, the issue typically begins with the center radio display and sound flickering on and off. -next, various electrical systems in the car begin to malfunction. This includes traction control, power steering, headlights, turn signals cruise control, window functions, and brake lights. -the vehicle does not only report the system malfunction, but will actually experience failure (etc, power steering is actually disabled in the car). Power steering was once lost at the bottom of a switchback in the mountains. I nearly lost control of the vehicle. -after this issue occurs, if the vehicle is turned off it will not restart for 30-60 minutes (unless the battery is disconnected and reconnected). -during this period it will not restart, none of the electrical functions of the car will work (doors will not lock, windows will not move, lights will not turn on, etc). -also, during this period I have noticed a sound within the dashboard. This sounds like a small electric motor running for approximately 60 seconds.

- Peoria, IL, USA

May 142014

Cruze

I am filing a complaint on a 2012 Chevrolet cruz ls, that I purchased at cowboy motors. I purchased this vehicle on June 07, 2013, it had 46211 miles and it now has 49789 miles. Recently, my wife noticed the radio would cut off and a month ago she told me about an issue dealing with the steering. She said it would get hard to control and sometimes almost impossible. Also, the dash indicator light came on symbolizing that we needed to check the steering. I begin to drive the car to see what was happening, nothing happened, until about 10 days ago it happen to me. I have called the dealership and asked if there has been any problems listed with the steering, I was told no but I should bring it in since I had a extended warranty and it would cost a $50 deductible if the warranty covered it. I got on the internet and found out that there is a list of people with the same problem as ours. I am fearful for my wife and grandchildren. I feel that this is a defect in the automobile and something should be done by the dealer or manufacture, to address the problem and from what I read, no one seems to know what the problem is exactly. This is a safety factor issue and my concern is what can I do to get my car fix without it costing me.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Jun 132014

Cruze

Since 11/13 to present, I've been experiencing instances with the stability trak issues with the radio turning on/off for a few mins; the dashboard lights would blink and go dim; it happened often when I'd use the defogger and try to let the window up/down and it would also dim my headlights (I noticed that in the evenings) or even just using the turn signal. Recently I was hitting the highway & the power steering went out, the doors unlocked & the messages were on my dash. There's also a dark ring around my steering wheel for the airbag that I believed tried to open. I had to turn the steering wheel with a lot of force to pull to the side of the road to avoid getting hit from behind. I turned the car off & waited a few minutes & turned it back on. It came back on with no issues. The next day the power steering went out again but this time I was in the driveway after arriving home. Both times that this has happened, I was using my ac. I went to the dealership & was told that the codes may not come up since it had only happened 2 times. I took it to advance auto and they put it on their computer and no codes showed up. I was told by the place that I purchased my car from to wait for the recall. I've been checking every day since then to see if there is a recall for my car because I don't want to pay for repairs that should already be on the recall list! I'm too afraid to drive the car a long distance for fear of getting hit or even killed by other vehicles if & when my car does it again.

- Kittrell, NC, USA

Feb 202014

Cruze

My 2012 Chevy Cruze turned the radio dashboard on/off and the heck engine light came on in December 2013 the engine light remained on the radio only once then didn't do it again. In February 2014 it started doing it again this time the stereo would turn on/of, the dash board on/off and my locks would unlock and lock themselves the blinker stopped making the clicking sound and the open door sound failed as well. This problem would occur occasionally until April 2014 the vehicle started to do all the issues above except this time it would include anti theft, service stabiltrack, and power warnings every time and the vehicle would turn off/on the engine and required me to put it on park and turn it off/on. In May 12 of 2014 I took the vehicle into the Chevrolet dealer to resolve this issue.they resolved several issues to what they believed resolved the issue of the vehicle turning on off. That didn't resolve the issue. My vehicle now is worse it turns off/on while driving accelerating or decelerating. It turns the radio on/off and gives me the same errors codes. Its life threatening as I almost got into a accident jumping onto the free way June 1014, my vehicle turned off and would not turn on on the free way entrance and a vehicle from behind was about to hit me. My vehicle is un safe for, me and my family keeps turning on/off and I have taken it to Chevrolet dealer 3 times and they do not know what is wrong. Life threatening issues!!

- San Jacinto, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Cruze 4-cyl

Car shuts down and it can not be restarted, (no dome light, no on start) no power anywhere..can't get keys out of ignition, going down the road, steering service light come on and off, radio display shuts down and restarts, gauges turn on and off..dealership has replaced battery, generator and it is still doing the same thing. Currently at dealership again.!....updated 07/31/14 it was determined the ground wire on the battery was broke. Which caused the vehicle to stall, shutting down all the gauges. There have been no problems, since it was replaced. Updated 09/23/14

- Hillsdale, MI, USA

May 302014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. The contact stated that the power steering suddenly malfunctioned causing the steering wheel to become very difficult to turn. Additionally, the contact stated that the vehicle was unable to be controlled as the steering warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Rush City, MN, USA

May 052014

Cruze 4-cyl

Purchased the car on 28 April 2014 from knox Ford in radcliff, ky. Noticed a faint burning smell. Was advised that I rode the clutch during the test drive. Had the car checked out and was advised it was good to go. The car was delivered on 30 April. It was finally driven on 5 Monday 2014 down to fort campbell, ky. At that point the car reeked of burning ceramic and the power steering locked up completely. After resting it for a few minutes and restating the car, it reengaged. Contacted dealer and was advised to go to local Chevy dealer for assessment. Chevy dealer advised that the power steering module was reading that it was out of center and disengaging. Was also advised that a part of the clutch assembly had been replaced a few thousand miles previously and seemed to be rubbing incorrectly. Knox Ford advised me to return the car to their dealership (120 miles away) and they would work on the car. Upon leaving the other dealership, the power steering locked up again and didn't reengage. Drove the car 120 miles without power steering and returned to knox Ford to have them take to to a Chevy dealership. The power steering module was replaced and the car aligned. The Chevy dealer couldn't find an issue with the clutch. Reclaimed the car on 16 May 2014 and drove the car back down to fort campbell today 19 May 2014. Once again, the burning smell has returned. Not as strong but it's still there.

- Vine Grove, KY, USA