CarComplaints.com Notes: In many ways, the 2012 Cruze continues the legacy of its predecessor. It's a legacy of sluggish transmissions and coolant leaks, but it's still a legacy.

To be fair, the number of complaints about the cooling system are way down versus the 2011 model which led to a class-action lawsuit.

On the flip-side, there's more concerns about brake problems.

However, there were far more Cruze vehicles sold for the 2012 model year so we'll give it our "Beware of this Clunker" badge rather than the "Avoid Like the Plague."

2012 Chevrolet Cruze steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Cruze:

2012 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Feb 012016

Cruze

While driving the power steering shuts off, radio blinks on and off, and the brakes get spongy making it hard to drive and stop. I have had it in the shop and the mechanics were unable to find an problem.

- Burnet, TX, USA

Feb 132016

Cruze

Recall 14311 but dealer does not do anything about it, my car have done this few times already but last couple of times it was really scary because I lost total control over the vehicle including steering and braking the car just show a sing on the dash and radio goes of as well as the rest of the vehicle electrical parts, almost causing a crash due to this issue, I was driving about 35mph and 40mph when this happen, also I notice the it happens when I use my turn signals and when I press up or down on the windows

- Franklin Park, IL, USA

Dec 012015

Cruze

Left outer tie rod began to show problems at 59000 miles. The steering had a thud sound when turning left or right. Also, when driving over bumps on the road or grass you could feel strong vibrations from the front steering.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Jan 012016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving at an unknown speed, the power steering warning lights illuminated and the headlamps turned off without warning. The contact experienced several electrical issues with the vehicle, including the key failing to dislodge from the ignition switch. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,000.

- Norman, OK, USA

Oct 182015

Cruze

Driving the radio cuts in and out meanwhile service stabilitrac warning comes on. Does this around 6-12 times in a 30 minute drive to and from work. On a few instances the vehicle lost all power while driving. This occures on a daily basis. This happens while driving and at a stand still. Also the check engine light has come on numerous times. It is a P0597 code stating temp sensor is inoperable. Non of these issues should be going on in a 2012 with less than 45,000 miles on it.

- Northlake, TX, USA

Sep 122015

Cruze

For the whole month the red warning lights have been flashing, today the lights were dimming and radio was going on and off. The steering wheel locked on its own and the key wouldn't come out when tried to remove and the truck wouldn't pop up when tried to open it from the outside. Vehicle is not cranking at moment and key is still in ignition. This is a serious safety problem or issue. Electrical problem hazard that could kill any driver or passengers when driving. Has to be as major safety recall. Contact the owner as soon as possible at 334-368-4373 this is my daughter latoria womack cell number and I am her dad ronnal womack at 843-870-2625. Please is there a recall on vehicle? my daughter drives this car to college classes every day. Please advice asap. Her life is in danger here. James and pamela are the owners but daughter drives vehicle to college. I am biological father and very concerned. Due to mother and stepfather at wife's surgery please notify me of matter to get help.

- Greenville, AL, USA

Apr 152015

Cruze 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While making a left turn at approximately 10 mph, the air bag service soon warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column air bag coil needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V300000 (air bags). The failure mileage was 40,565. Updated 10/06/15 updated 12/21/2015

- Coshocton, OH, USA

Jul 292014

Cruze

Driving down highway and the dic starts flashing and then the power steering failed and the car then lost power and the engine cut out. I was able to pull the car over to the shoulder and stop the car. I was able to restart the vehicle. I took to dealer and they replaced the negative battery cable. I soon received an extended warranty for the cable from GM for 10 yrs or 120000 miles. So they are aware of the issue and cars cutting out and losing power on the highway is not considered dangerous to the drivers or their passengers.

- Islip, NY, USA

Jul 162015

Cruze

I was driving down the interstate and the steering locked up and the power steering warning light came on. I pulled onto the side of the interstate, put my hazards on and turned the car off. After calling for assistance I was told I could drive to the nearest auto repair. I turned the car on and driving was like pushing the car down the road and steering was dangerously difficult. I got to the repair shop turned off the car asked for assistance. When mechanic turned the car on light was off and power steering had been restored. He could not explain the glitch that caused the problem and suggested I contact my dealership.

- Florence, MS, USA

Mar 122015

Cruze

Since March 2015, I have been experiencing issues with and I have video evidence while in failure mode, of what I believe to be failures of the body computer(s) in this vehicle. The dashboard displays have been going on and off under a wide variety of driving situations, and while sitting at idle. They fault when the vehicle is simply driving down the highway. More often I notice it when utilizing turn signals, hazard lights, and breaking. During these faults, the center information display for the HVAC and entertainment will frequently turn off. This kills the radio. It at times kills the HVAC systems and the turn signals (at least the noise for the turn signal indicators). At times, the center display above the steering column will go black and then display a message about the stabilitrak having failed and requiring it to be checked or the ABS needing to be serviced. Then it returns to normal mode. The frequency has increased to every time I drive the vehicle. Also on at least 3 occasions the ABS has actually failed. On one of those occasions, I hit another vehicle while parking. Thankfully there was no damage to either vehicle. When connecting the vehicle to a diagnostic device, no issues are indicated. I'm in the military in germany where the roads and highways are extremely hilly and it snows heavily. I'd rather not die in an accident before this issue is rectified.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 042015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel was extremely tight causing the contact to have to apply force in order to steer the vehicle. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V288000 (engine and engine cooling), but the remedy was not available. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Uvalde, TX, USA

Feb 092015

Cruze

While driving the car would continuously reboot the radio and the warning stabilitrak light as well as the power steering warning will show up on the dash. The car would experience very stiff steering and I almost got into a crash 3 times because of it. I took it to the autonation Chevrolet laurel, md dealership and they could not diagnose a problem with the battery. Another technichian from tnt auto in columbia, md said that all the wires seem to be on there tight too.

- Beltsville, MD, USA

Apr 072015

Cruze

I received my Chevy Cruze in November of 2014 used with aprox. 59K miles. April 7th driving down a highway at 55-60mph it suddenly started slowing down and would not accelerate. It would jerk and the engine would rev like if you were to be idle and in park and press the gas that's the sound it made. I did not notice the check engine come on or any other lights as I was trying to control my car. The speedometer and RPM indicator started acting erratically while doing so. The gauge would go up and down and the car was slowing down. The steering also became very soft. If I were to take my pinky finger and turn the wheel it would have moved that's how soft it was. All this happened multiple times during a 30 minute time period. After I slowed down and tried going over 30mph it would start to act up again. While this was happened I only had 66K miles. I got it towed to the dealer instead of taking my chances driving it there. It was sitting there a week before they even touched it and they claim they cant find anything wrong with it. I think Chevy dealers claim they cant find anything when your car is still under warranty so they don't have to fix it.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Apr 052015

Cruze

This is my second complaint on this vehicle for the same problem. At low speeds the car makes a grinding noise that can be felt when taking off and turning. It has gotten worse and occasionally it can be felt when I am not even turning. This needs to be addressed before it turns into something serious.

- Vincennes, IN, USA

Mar 262015

Cruze

At low speeds, when turning, there is a grinding sensation in the steering wheel and can be felt in the floorboard. After taking this to the dealer twice, I was told it was the steering column. My extended warranty does not cover a "noise" and GM will not cover an issue if there is an extended warranty. I was told that changing out a $400+ part might not make a difference, and the noice could return again.

- Avon, IN, USA

Mar 242015

Cruze

I was driving, and the radio dash began to flash on and off. Then the steering became very difficult, and the power steering light came on, the words "service power steering" came on, then the car began to pulse, and then "service traction" came on, then the car shut off completely.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 102014

Cruze

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving approximately 35 mph and making a left turn, the steering wheel seized. In addition, the instrument panel and radio intermittently operated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the positive battery cable and generator starter cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Macomb , MI, USA

Nov 262014

Cruze 4-cyl

2012 Chevrolet Cruze. Consumer writes in regards to power steering malfunction. Consumer has different vehicle complaints listed in artemis. The consumer stated the vehicle stalled, in the midst of driving. An alert displayed traction control error and power steering malfunction. The drive train was disabled and apparently locked down. The shift lever moved freely from park, reverse and the drive position. The steering wheel would not move. Hydraulic resistance was apparent when attempting to turn left and right. Three hours later, the alert disappeared and the vehicle performed as it was designed.

- Placitas, NM, USA

Feb 042015

Cruze

While driving to work I was signaling to switch lanes for my exit off the freeway. Began to merge and my steering wheel locked. Luckily it's wasn't for long and the freeway was not busy. However the fact that my newly purchased vehicle has a glitch is saddening. What's even worse theirs no maintenance light or check engine light, something to make the dealership believe their is a problem. Only a flashing light that says check stabilitrack, traction control, powering steering and at the same time my ABS service light begins to flash. Really hope Chevy puts out a recall..

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Nov 232014

Cruze 4-cyl

We were driving on rt 206 in jersey and the steering wheel locked up and the car went off the road. The car was totaled. About a week later I received a letter from Chevy stating this is a known issue that the steering had increased friction and can cause the steering to lock up.

- Milford, PA, USA