CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

2006 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 212014

Equinox 6-cyl

Vehicle runs fine, shut it off it won't start. Sometimes it will take 2 or 3 turns to start it other times 10 to 15 minutes to start it. Replaced ignition cylinder, switch and tumblers, thinking this was it. No. no one can fine problem. This is a problem with other 2006 Equinox from the forums I read. This is a safety issue, because it leaves people like me stranded. I have emailed Chevrolet once already and told them if anything happens to me when I get stranded for my family to sue them. Chevrolet told me to take my car to a dealer, I called and the person I talked to told me to bring it in and if the problem didn't happen while the car was there, they would charge me $ $85 per hr., it doesn't happen every day, it might go a month without doing it and then it might do it 3 times in one day. I just bought this car January 2014. I hate to trade it in, because they will just sell it to someone and I don't want it to be someone with children and have this happen to them. So, in ending this complaint I hope that you will look into this 2006 Equinox problem. Thank you !! ( this gets scary to a 63 yr. Women at nighttime ).

- Nanticoke, PA, USA

Jun 022014

Equinox

Car wont start, turns over but have to put foot on gas to make it start. Sputters for a few seconds and is then ok. Sometimes it takes more than 1 time to start it.

- Bath, NY, USA

Dec 192014

Equinox 6-cyl

Equinox overheated. We immediately replaced the thermostat and water pump. Did not fix the problem. The Equinox is currently in the shop, the tests showed the Equinox has two cracked heads.

- East Canton, OH, USA

Dec 172014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. While the vehicle was being serviced, the engine compartment caught fire. The fire was extinguished. The technician diagnosed that the injector O-ring failed. The vehicle was not repaired. A police and a fire report were not filed and no injuries were reported. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 120,381.

- Famingdale, NJ, USA

Nov 152014

Equinox

We just purchased our 2006 Chevy Equinox on 11-15-2014 an after leaving the dealership we were caught in a snow storm and attempted to turn on the heat to warm up inside. The heat wasn't hot and the defrost would not work either and so need less to say we had to use A/C an crack the windows an constantly wipe windshield to be able to safely drive home. That being said I began to do research on the problem an as searching I am finding out that there are neuromas complaints of the Chevy Equinox having the same problem I have described. Reading the complaints I have found out the repairs are costly and GM has not made any attempts to recall the faulty parts. An so I felt that I had a duty to step up an join the patrons who are also or have experienced the same problem. Unfortunately GM needs to step up an take responsibility for the problems before someone is killed because of faulty parts.

- Canon City, CO, USA

May 142014

Equinox 6-cyl

The engine failed. This is mechanic report from Chevy dealership:" The technician performed diagnosis and found misfire on the number 4 cylinder. The exhaust lifter is collapsed causing noise and not operating, also heard a lower end knock from rod bearings, suspect loss of oil pressure at one time to be the cause of internal damage. With the upper and lower internal noises, recommend engine replacement to avoid further repairs due to being run on low oil pressure. ". I had to pay to replace the engine.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Apr 032014

Equinox 6-cyl

Our 2006 Equinox has had our engine shut down on us several times between April 3rd thru Sept. 4th of 2014. It has shut down twice while at a stop and about 4 times while driving. After 1-2 minutes, the car will start back up. It seems it could be dangerous if the car shuts down while driving 50-60 miles per hour and there is no where to pull over and a car behind you may not notice that your car has shut down and may not stop quick enough. At times, the brakes are hard to stop the car and the steering wheel is hard to turn when the engine shuts down.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jul 162014

Equinox

In the last month my 2006 Equinox's engine has failed 5 times, 3 times while sitting at intersections and twice while driving down the road. All 5 times the lights have gone on the dash and then all power to the engine has been lost. It takes a good minute before the engine will turn over again. We have taken the car to the shop for extensive work (including wheel bearings and ignition switch) and they have not been able to fix or even pinpoint the problem. I know that the 2005 Equinox was recalled for this issue and want to know when the '06 will be added to the list"?"

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Jul 112011

Equinox 6-cyl

I first reported to Chevrolet in 2011 that my ignition/key in my 2006 Equinox would get "stuck". it wouldn't turn and I'd spend sometimes several minutes just trying to get the key to turn so I could start the car. I sometimes had to tap the key forward with a screwdriver handle. I reported this issue because I found numerous complaints from other people reporting the same issue. Chevrolet simply said thanks for telling us that you and many many others are having the same issue but we're not going to do anything about it. Now I have a problem with the blower fan not working. It seems this is a commonly reported issue as well but I cant seem to find an actual service bulletin on the blower resistor motor/fan problem. I'm just so disappointed in Chevy! can't they at least offer free labor if you buy the parts or something" when issues are widely reported??"

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Apr 242014

Equinox

Engine light came on and the car is hard to start. I took the car back to the dealership and had it tested. They said it is on because of the gas cap. I was told to replace the gas cap and that would solve the issue with the starting. They reset the light. I bought a new gas cap. Light came back on. It is till on and having problems starting. No more Chevrolet for me.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Mar 162013

Equinox

I was driving on the interstate (out of state - hours away from home), which had a steep grade and all of a sudden the lights on the dash came on and the car began to slow down. I was able to pull over on the side of the road. Had to have the car towed to the nearest dealership. Ended up having to get a new engine ( well warranty company put in used engine that had 40,000 miles on it). Had to rent a car to get home and to get back to pick up the car weeks later.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 072012

Equinox 6-cyl

Water swishing noise in dash area. Increasing difficulty turning key in ignition switch. Must pull it out, turn it over and push up and turn to get it to start car. At 65,000 miles door flap on A/C heater failed, weather was 15-20 degrees F in December and caused heater and defrost system to fail. We, incurred a $1400 repair bill for a $129 part, labor expensive as part is "difficult to get to". many other complaints for these same issue are posted on-line. Does someone have to get in a serious accident or die before they recall any of these?

- Oak Ridge, NJ, USA

Jul 122007

Equinox 6-cyl

A. I began to notice that at times the car would not start the first time I turned the key. I would have to turn the key to off position and try again, this could sometimes take a couple of times. The dealer did state that it was indeed the ignition switch. B. we also have an issue with the ignition when you turn it over it continues to try to start after it is running. The only way to make is stop is to step on the gas. C. when the car is shut off with the wipers or heater or even the radio on; when we start the Equinox, there is smoke coming out of the steering wheel area. It has a burning smell with it. Very dangerous. Just last week, I had my Equinox on with the air, and smoke came out of the steering wheel area while it was running idle. D. in the colder weather, there is frost on my inside front windshield. All windows are up, and there is no reason for this. This vehicle needs to have a massive recall as there are many issues going on with it. I would hate to see someone get hurt but I could see it happening if something is not done to correct these issues.

- Groveport, OH, USA

May 132014

Equinox

It would chug when I started it and check engine light came on. I took it in to a dealership to get fixed and they said there is a big crack in the egr valve piping.

- Menominee, MI, USA

Mar 212014

Equinox 6-cyl

2006 Equinox overheated causing car to quit on interstate, had to be towed, rent a car, rent a motel room, had my car towed to Chevrolet service tallahassee, was told that had head gasket problem ext cost $2400 if no other problems so I had car towed home, had to pay for trailer and gas, took to local mechanic he verified what Chevrolet dealer had said est cost at this point $2000 may be more if other damages found, researched online found there are multiple complaints regarding this problem for this year Equinox called GMC was told had I took it to chev. Dealership they might could have helped me get discount but could not help me because I took it took local mechanic. This car is a big danger me and my grandkids could have been killed we barely made it off the interstate. GMC needs to step up to the plate and take responsibility.

- Milton, FL, USA

Dec 152013

Equinox

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the water pump failed. The water pump was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to an authorized dealer, who then advised that the head gasket would need replacing. The vehicle was not further repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Howell, MI, USA

Nov 142013

Equinox

Hit a one ton low bed dump truck, the whole front end of my SUV was demolished, my airbags didn't deploy and I ended up with really bad whiplash from the accident, to where I'm still in major pain! wondering if there was a lawsuit against this? never dealt with a wreck this bad, I was just curious!

- Vanceburg, KY, USA

Jan 072014

Equinox

Was idling in car at military check point to get to school in 2012 and fans under hood got loud to cool it down. Went dead several times. Let sit 45 minutes. Checked radiator and was full of water. Barely made it home, going dead all the way. Took to dealer and said could not find problem at all charged me over $100 to check it. For months it would do this off and on. Then the fan under the hood started coming on and would not go off. Then the car would run when I turned the key off. Now in January 2014, the heater is blowing cold air and I have no defrost and the engine temp. Gauge is all of the way to hot. I can only run it for 15 minutes then it goes dead and I have to wait 45 minutes for it to cool down to go another 45 minutes. Really bad for me because it take me 30 minutes to get to work so I have to add another 45 minutes.....that's there and then 45 extra home.

- Leesville, LA, USA

Aug 112010

Equinox

I have a 2006 Equinox after I drive it and it sits for awhile...30 mins or so....it doesn't want to start again....I have read several people complaining about this problem.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Nov 082012

Equinox 6-cyl

Over heating blew all water out had wrecker take to lynn smith dealership for repairs !St time. Took back to lynnsmith heating up again, could not find problem 2nd time.over heated on Dec 15 th, replaced thermostat good for to days over heated a 3rd time blue all warer out again and would not restart a real problem car not running and payments wont stop coming.

- Alvarado, TX, USA