2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 15 of 20)

Oct 202009

Speedometer has a mind of it's own sometimes it works, some times it doesn't, this is a real safety concern when I cannot tell the true speed in which I am driving.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Dec 082009

First noticed a problem over a year ago when the tachometer went to zero while cruising down the interstate highway. The next time I drove the car it was fine. Recently I noticed that the coolant temp gauge was reading way past "hot, " however the car was not overheating. It continues to read this way. Next it was the speedometer reading much faster than actual speed, approximately 50 to 70 mph high. Once again the tachometer has gone haywire as well. Since this started I have noted that the tach and speedometer are functioning, (they movie higher and lower with changes in engine and vehicle speed) but appear to have lost their "zero" reference. I recalled that they would normally drop to below zero and then snap to zero when the key is first turned on. With the engine off I repeatedly cycled the key on then off, gradually backing the tach and speedometer to zero. They then functioned properly for a short time before wigging out again. It is my guess that the problem lies in the gauges losing their home pulse. So far, the fuel gauge has continued to operate normally. This failure is very dangerous as well as leaving me open to speed related tickets as I can only estimate my speed based on experience. After researching this problem and discovering the high number of complaints already filed with NHTSA it seems to me that this problem should result in a recall of these vehicles.

- Hillsboro, OR, USA

Dec 132009

The night of 12/13, my temperature gauge was reading very high. I checked my coolant and did some trouble shooting. My car was not over heating as indicated on the gauge. Two days later, this problem resolved, however another problem with the speedometer developed. On 12/15, my speedometer was reading 60mph while I was parked in a parking garage. As I accelerated (going no more than 10mph) my speedometer was reading 120mph. It now rests at 120mph while parked and the needle goes above any readable mph while driving. Since Dec 15th, I have no idea how fast I am actually driving.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Nov 012008

The speedometer on my 2004 Chevy Impala is defective, it has not been working for at least a year. As there are many complaints about the same issue with the same car, it should be a GM recall.

- Butler, NJ, USA

Dec 082009

Instrument cluster for speedometer needed to be replaced because speedometer reads 45 mph while stopped and at 30 it reads 80 mph.

- Kaysville, UT, USA

Oct 012009

2004 Chevrolet Impala speedometer with 60K mileage completely went out of order. It could point at any speed gauge in driving. Very dangerous on the road. Thousands of Impala owners reported the same problem on the web. GM should recall before anyone has road accident.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Nov 202009

My turn signals intermittently don't function for a period of time, and then suddenly start working again. Restarting the car fixes the problem sometimes, but isn't very helpful when you¿re on the highway traveling somewhere. This is a dangerous situation, especially at night on busy streets when you can¿T signal to turn or merge. Also, this has happened only once, but my car would not start as others have stated¿ the interior lights turned on but the car would not turn over. After twenty minutes the car started fine. This hasn't happened since, but if it did it would be a major inconvenience..

- Rockledge, FL, USA

May 142006

Speedometer stopped working. Failure began with sporadic inaccurate readings, from zero to 120 mph readings, regardless of actual speed. After several months, it stopped working altogether.

- Flora, MS, USA

Apr 092006

The contact owns a 2004 Chevy Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle shuts off while driving various speeds. The failure has occurred for three years. The dealer installed a path lock system and stated that the cpu may have been stolen. Three days after the path lock system was installed the vehicle shut off. The dealer diagnosed the failure again and stated that a BCM may need to be installed. The contact would like for the manufacturer to assume responsibility for the repairs. The current mileage was 77,000 and the failure mileage was 23,000.

- Medesto, CA, USA

Dec 052008

I have had a number of problems with my 2004 Chevy Impala, it started with my temperature gauge not reading correctly, blinkers working when they wanted too and then the speedometer one day just stopped at 5 mph. The final straw was that my security light came on and after I shut my vehicle off and try to restart it, it would not start. I would have to wait for about 20 minutes to start my vehicle. This has happened numerous times and I finally had to spend over $1200 dollars to get my vehicle fixed. Not happy with Chevy.

- South Porltnad, ME, USA

May 202008

2004 Impala, speedometer problem works when it wants to, at times registers 0 and at other times the needle buries itself, would be able to click back to 0 by turning the ignition on and off until it went back to 0 but worked erratically, finally stopped working altogether, temp gauge same way. Only way to fix problem was to have each and every gauge rebuilt and not replaced with GM part as the part they replace it with is the same ¿!@#$% originally installed, researched this on line and found 1000's of others with same problem, this should be recalled, as when the temp gauge buries itself you don't know for sure what is going on, if its for real or "??"

- Dousman, WI, USA

Nov 042008

My speedometer stopped working about a year ago. One day I was driving at it just stopped working. After I turned my car off and then back on a little later it started to work again. Then it would randomly stop working and then work fine again later. It would either stop working all together or read the numbers wrong by saying I was doing 45 mph when I wasn't even moving. I didn't have the money to spend on getting it fixed so I borrowed my boyfriends gps so I could read my speed. Since then I noticed a pattern of the problems, every time I was getting close to the time to change my oil it would start acting up again. Now the problem has gotten worse and all my gauges are acting the same way. My fuel gauge, temperature gauge, and speedometer all pick and choose when they want to work and when they don't and they frequently don't work now. I decided to see if there was a recall and noticed that this was a common problem in this type of car. From how common this problem seems to be there should have been a recall on this a long time ago.

- Port Richey, FL, USA

Nov 062009

2004 Chevrolet Impala ls speedometer suddenly started to malfunction. Sometimes reads 0 when car is in motion. Often reads -0 at stop, jittery movement when the indicator moves at all, sometimes stops @ 20 or 30 mph and will not show higher number even while continuing to accelerate. Actual speed can not be determined while operating the vehicle. GM has issued a recall for the Tahoe for the same problem but refuses to recall the defect in the Impala. Clearly a manufacturing defect and not do to age or mileage.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Oct 032009

The car wont start but all the lights and it acts like it started but the motor wont turn and NO1 nos how to fit it does this ever day I try to start it and it wont do anything until I wait 10to 20 min and then it starts like nothing happen if I know how to fit it I wont but NO1 can tell me what's the calls of it can you just tell me what I need to do to get it fixed?

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 172009

The speedometer in my '04 Chevy Impala ss is very erratic. It displays incorrect speed. I was traveling @ 70mph but the speedometer displays @ 49 mph. When stopping it will drop below the zero mark at @ 15 mph. The needle ticks around on the face of the dial. This seems dangerous to me not knowing the speed you are traveling. From internet research I've seen this is a common problem on '04 GM cars. This problem is erratic. In my opinion there should be a recall on these cars.

- Huber Heights, OH, USA

Jun 232009

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. When the contact attempted to start the vehicle she noticed that occasionally the vehicle would not start. The contact also noticed that all of the dashboard lights would flicker on and off while the contact was attempting to start the vehicle. A local dealer stated that the failure could not be reproduced. There were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 52998. Updated 12/7/09 the consumer stated the security light would come on. The consumer believed there was a problem with the pass lock system. Updated 12/08/09.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Sep 142009

Having same problem as many others. Security light blinking, car wont start for 10 min called Chevy no solution. Recall and fix. Safety issue. Attention Chevy your car is not safe!!!

- Bonners Ferry, ID, USA

Aug 212009

My 2004 Chevy Impala will not start sometimes. This is very inconvenient as I have a young child and this has happened at night far from home on more than one occasion. My security light also comes on at times and will just go off by itself. I have been told it is a BCM problem or a pass lock sensor problem, but this is an issue on many Impala. I can't believe GM has not issued a recall on this as I am sure many people are put at risk daily.

- Chillicothe, MO, USA

Aug 062009

My vehicle was parked in my garage overnight and on 8-6-09, I tried to start the car to go work and it would not crank. I had lights but it would not start. Checked battery-O.K. hit starter with a hammer. Vehicle started. Taken to garage for a new started. Started installed; next morning it would not crank. Towed to Chevy dealer. Told it needed a new PCM(powertraincontrolmodule) which was under the emissions warranty. Vehicle now starts, but the security warning light stays on and the ignition sensor would have to be replaced. ( a new battery was installed.) ignition keys had to be reprogrammed. This failure has occurred only 1 time so far. I've been told this is a problem with this model vehicle and the problem is in the ignition switch which may fail again at anytime.

- Strasburg, PA, USA

Jul 152009

First speedometer quit working, now temperature gauge is not reading correctly.

- Elgin, SC, USA