2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 16 of 20)

Jul 272009

Impala

While driving my 2004 Chevy Impala the speedometer and tach meter needles went hay wire. They have not gone back to their original state. I have no idea what caused this problem, but would like to know what can be done about it.

- Cookeville, TN, USA

Jan 012005

Impala

Speedometer gives false readings.

- Malden, MA, USA

Jul 072009

Impala

My 2004 Chevy Impala speedometer has stopped tracking the correct speed. It is usually reading much less than I am actually moving but can report much higher speeds. This is a real safety issue because it is difficult to judge your actual speed without it. Typically with a working speedometer I have to brake to keep my speed in check. The car rides so smooth that it is easy to go faster than one should.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Jun 232009

Impala

I own a 2004 Chevy Impala. I found this website full of the same complaints as mine, with the vehicle not starting when it should. I have first experienced this at 75,000 miles and I would put in the key and nothing happens except the lights and radio come on. No click no nothing... had the alternator replaced, and it still does it. Had the starter checked, it still does it. I have been stranded at work, late for work at home, at restaurants in below zero weather with a child. Please see this website, because there are thousands of complaints, and it appears this is a GM issue that should be recalled. I can give the date that happened the other day at work in 110 weather (with humidity) had to wait 1/2 hour then it finally started. Something is wrong, and why should consumers have to pay for this problem when clearly it is a GM problem. The website of the complaints (that in order to get an answer you have to pay for..seriously come on) is www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Impala/2000/electrical/passlock_problem_security_light_is_on.shtml I appreciate your time. Because this happens at random times, it is too hard to pinpoint exact times and places that this has indeed happened. My alternator was replaced by a GM dealer and funny they "never heard of this problem before"... although my neighbor who owns a 2002 has the same problem.

- Stillwater, MN, USA

Jun 222009

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 25 mph, the anti theft warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The power steering failed and the vehicle shut off. The contact waited a few seconds and restarted the vehicle. She called the dealer and was informed that the cylinder on the pass lock system was failing, or possibly the body lock control module or the box sensor. The repair would cost $600. The vehicle has not been repaired. The contact is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 71,800 and current mileage was 71,989. Updated 07/28/09. The consumer did not have power steering or brakes. Updated 07/30/09.

- Souix City, IA, USA

Jun 062009

Impala

I own a 2004 Chevy Impala. My security light comes on once in a while and then my car won't start. I've been told by my dealer that it is a passlock issue and that it happens in many GM vehicles.

- Norwich, NY, USA

Dec 102007

Impala

My instrument panel also went out in winter of 2007. Called GM directly who refused to help with this problem. My father in law owns an Avalanche and received recall notice for the instrument panel for his truck and other large SUV's that are made by Chevrolet. The years covered included 2004. If GM knows that the instrument panels were bad for other models, why haven't they been recalled for the Impala. My car did the same thing; driving approx 40 mph and car read 75 mph. The speedometer read 120 mph on the highway that day when cars were flying by me. This is most definitely a safety issue. Unfortunately, GM seems to be waiting for serious injury or death before recalling the bad parts. This goes along with the steering column shafts being bad also. What a joke!! I too will never purchase another american made car as long as I am able to drive. I had to take GM to court over my car due to the car being in the shop approx. 25 times for repairs before it was 4 years old. My whole car has basically been replaced (including the instrument panel and steering column shaft) except for the slipping transmission now. I take very good care of my car as I have the indy motor speedway ss. Paid a lot of $$ for nothing. It's no wonder GM is going under. Their cars are junk and they don't stand behind their products. What a shame. Hopefully no one has serious injury due to all the safety failures with these cars.

- Reading, OH, USA

Dec 102008

Impala

Speedometer false reading, works fine under 50 miles an hour over drops to zero and will not register or works erratic, might read 100 or even higher or lower.

- Memphis, TN, USA

May 282009

Impala

Electronically problems with doors locks and instrument panel. Both problems were repaired. Now a year later, experiencing both problems. Lights on the instrument panel will come on and speedometer will go crazy while driving. Unable to lock the car with either key or key fob.

- Irmo, SC, USA

Mar 152009

Impala

Gerald king name/firm/company: General Motors Corp. Subject/category: Automobiles questions/comments: The speedometer in my 2004 Impala works sometimes and does not work sometimes. On autobeef's web site alone there are 109 complaints about the speedometer. It should be a recall item. See below 2004 Chevrolet Impala speedometer gone haywire severity rating 8.1 pretty bad typical repair cost: $454 average mileage: 61,315 miles number of complaints: 109 www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Impala/2004/accessories-interior/speedometer_gone_haywire.shtml.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Sep 012008

Impala

Fall of 2008 noticed that my security light was coming on while I was driving and then when I would start my vehicle it would not start. Called my dealership and they told me it could be a few things and that if I tried to start my vehicle and it would not start to shut off the ignition and wait about 20 mins, winter of 2008 noticed that the temperature gauge was completely over running as hot as it could go. Brought it in to my Chevrolet dealer and they did a test on it and said it was fine and that just make sure if it started to have smoke from the hood to get it in. I then lost my speedometer and my turn signals and called yet again to see if there by any chance was a recall because it had become obvious to me that after searching on line that there seems to be some sort of defect with the computer board somewhere. Spoke with Chevrolet again to find out that there was no recall on this problem. Brought my vehicle in on March 4, 2009 and paid out of my pocket $1100.95 to get my vehicle where I could trust it. My vehicle is a 2004 Chevrolet and when the problems started it had less than 44,000 miles on it.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Oct 252008

Impala

The cluster for the 2004 Chevy Impala. It makes not sense that this system goes out after 75,000 miles on a car. The dealer ship want to charge $600 to replace the part for the car. I will never buy another american car because of this problem and the problem I am having with the security light keep coming on, and then shutting the engine off for 15min until the car will run again. That happen when I was out late at night and I was the only one left in the parking lot waiting on my car to start. I feel that is a security problem with my safety. I have to keep taking my car to the dealership to have that problem reset. My cluster is still out don't know how fast I am driving nor if my car is running hot, nor how gas I have N my car.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 142008

Impala

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala that started having problems with the speedometer. The speedometer will read the wrong speed when it is moving and standing still. It would even read over 120mph when the car is turned off. I am an electronics technician and do almost all of my auto work myself. I have 2 brothers that are mechanics. It seems to me that the stepper motors are going bad inside the instrument cluster. The cluster should be recalled, but I cannot wait for this to happen. I found a GM parts website and tried to order the whole new cluster from them for $154.64. It only took me 20 minutes to pull the old one out. I received an E-mail stating that GM will no longer let the average person buy this instrument cluster. You now need to get it from a dealer at a largely inflated price. What a scam. Not only are we dealing with a safety issue, it sounds like there is a scam going on also. I hope this is not being done to protect the dealers. I think that GM needs to step up to the plate and make things right with all of these upset people. I'll bet none of these people will buy another GM product again, including me.

- Madison, SD, USA

Apr 122009

Impala

Security light comes on car will not start battery and starter all fine. Thousands of people have the same problem with these gms and still no recall. Let them go under and I hope they loose their homes and boats.

- Nevada, OH, USA

Apr 202009

Impala

Car intermittently fails to start. Power to accessories good, but ignition will not work. After 30 minutes or so, it starts, with no problems for 1 -2 months, then it happens again. I took it to the dealer, who read the code and replaced a part, but after a few moths it started happening again.

- Lenoir, NC, USA

Jul 122008

Impala

I was driving my car and notice that I was going 80mph, but I could not have been going that fast. I pulled over to the side of the road scared! noticed that my car was still stuck on 80mph. A few weeks later the gage that tells me that the car is over heating went out on me as well. It cost way to much to repair this defect that many people are having with this make and model of car.

- Lombard, IL, USA

Feb 282009

Impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala dashboard cluster failure. The instrumentation provides inaccurate data, speed, fuel and temperature gauges are not accurate. Speed shows more than 100 mph standing still. Car has 44,000 miles and no longer under warranty service.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Oct 132008

Impala

Speedometer goes haywire; "traction active" sensor comes on and makes a strange noise.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Dec 092008

Impala

2004 Chevrolet Impala speedometer went erratic at ~ 65,000 miles. The speedometer then failed. Dealer stated it is a failed a stepper motor and will require ~ $500 for repair. Having the speedometer fail causes a major safety concern due to vehicle speed is unknown.

- Surry, VA, USA

Apr 122009

Impala

2004 Chevy Impala has a malfunctioning "passlock" system. The ignition will not allow you to start the car at times - very frustrating. You must wait for it to reset itself, which sometimes takes a half hour, I know many other Impala owners are having the same problem.

- Sheboygan, WI, USA