2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 5 of 20)

Jun 122013

Impala 6-cyl

Car would not start security light blinking, let it sit for 15 minutes then it starts, really disappointed.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 012010

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated the key was hard to turn in the ignition and the engine would hesitate before starting. The contact mentioned that there were times the vehicle would not start. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the failure was normal. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 10/30/14 the consumer stated a recall was performed where a metal piece was added to the key for the sliding of the key switch. The ignition remained hard to turn. The manufacturer was notified and advised that the consumer pay for the vehicle to be diagnosed. Updated 04/27/2015

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Sep 222014

Impala 6-cyl

Pursuant to the letter I got in regard to recall 14350, I contacted the dealer where I bought my car, jim butler Chevrolet. I got an email back from them saying the only recall they show on my car is 13036, and they will only schedule me for that service. I verified the VIN on your website, and 14350 is indeed correct. Note that I have contacted this dealer repeatedly over the past two to three years, because my car won't start after I shut it off when it isn't in park. It's left me stranded more than 20 times (which is dangerous in itself, plus I had to call for road service, which isn't free), and the service manager has so far refused to take any action and in fact did not even return my many phonecalls about it. Now they can't even get the safety recall number straight (until I let them know I'd be contacting you, suddenly, it is the right number). This is why people are dying: Dealers ignore reported problems because it costs GM money; they stonewall you until you die in a crash or die standing by your car waiting for the tenth tow. Thanks to GM, I am done buying american cars. Please investigate this common Impala non-starting issue (search online: It's not the starter, and I've already paid to replace the ignition, but they still won't give me my key codes).

- High Ridge, MO, USA

Feb 112010

Impala

My car has had a problem with periodic not starting, this has been going on for years off and on. The other day was when I finally realized my car had put me in a dangerous situation. I went to the store late right before it was about to close. Went and made my purchase. When I came out my car would not start. I have been reading about a passlock issue on certain GM models and mine falls within the make and year of vehicle with this issue. There were a group of men whom kept lingering around the store after it had closed, and here I am a female alone stranded due to a vehicle that wouldn't start. Because of a passlock defect. Thank goodness the police came by wondering why there was a car in the parking lot of a closed store. He sat and waiting for my car to reset so that it would start. I guess it is gonna take someone to lose their life or be severely injured for GM to feel they need to fix this. I don't think anyone should have to spend their own money on a issue that GM is fully aware exists. Someone may not be so lucky next time being stranded and having their car not start. Death wont wait 10 minutes for a reset.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 012012

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the key released from the ignition switch intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact stated that the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Aug 302012

Impala 4WD 6-cyl

Tried to start car, wouldn't turn over even though car had power, no noises or sounds made when trying to turn over even though I had full power to radio winders doors and electric dash board. Had a new starter put in because I thought that was the issue. 2 weeks later security light comes on while driving and stayed on. Tried to turn car on same thing happened have power. But no turn over and security light is still on. Turned off car took out keys and left car alone came back later and car started w/O incident. No security light on. Same issue keeps happening maybe 4 times a month if not more have to wait 10 mins in order for car to start. Issue happens at gas station, home, work, hot and cold weather. Before I figured out 10 min delay had car towed and spent money on repairs that aren't necessary. Noticed one day while I sat in car for 10 mins in summer heat with 3 month daughter, that car makes a sort of computer humming/buzzing sound. After the 10 or so I hear a click or as I call it a shut down sound and then I am able to start car.

- Merced, CA, USA

Aug 012009

Impala 6-cyl

Please help. I have a 2004 Chevy Impala. It has the GM passlock. The security light comes on the message board and sometimes the car will not start. The car has left me stranded about 25 times. I'm afraid one day it will be an emergency and my car is going to leave me stranded. This is a very common among Impala and other GM vehicles. This should be a recall asap. Thank you!

- El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 092008

Impala

For 5 or more years when I try to start the motor I get nor response from the starter, the lights dim and other electrical driven things shut down. If I touch the solenoid terminal of the starter with a hot wire the starter runs and the engine starts. When I take the hot wire off the terminal the engine dies. Sometimes if I clean the fuse contact and try again it will start but often will not. I have found that reaching under the dash and moving the wires that come out of the switch behind the dash key will get it to activate the started but even this some times isn't immediately effective. I have at time had to walk and try again at a latter time. This could be a very severe safety hazard. If me and my family members including many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren could be stranded when we stop along the road or even in the back country where we like to go. Example: A severe storm or other reason to have get going fast such as injury or sudden sever illness, when I discussed this problem with Chevy dealers they say that this recall will not even get me and inspection re the ignition switch without a large service fee. I feel that is a defective switch and should be replaced. It appears that the power wire to the coil is on the same circuit as the one activating the starter solenoid so if the engine should stall for any reason one may not be able to start it and you would have the condition that this recall is about. I T doesn't matter if I use a single key and I have tried both keys. The dealers don't will not even look at the switch itself. My experience shows that just putting a plug in the in the key slot will not solve the problem..

- Fountain Valley, CA, USA

Sep 122014

Impala 6-cyl

When I started my car Friday after getting gas, the security light came on. When I was finally somewhere safe, I shut the car off and restarted it. It started just fine and the light did not come back on. Today (Sunday) I left work and drove 4 miles to get my daughters check from her work. I left the car running while I ran in and grabbed the check. The moment I got back into the car I noticed the security light was back on. When I got home I shut the car off and restarted it. It started just fine and the security light did not come back on.

- Neapolis, OH, USA

Aug 182012

Impala

I have been having problems with my 2004 Chevrolet Impala off and on since I got it. There are times when I turn the ignition off and it will not start. The dash and lights will work, but when I turn the key over it does nothing. This just recently occurred while I was out of town. I had to leave the car and go back for it 2 to 3 hours later, and it still did not start right away. I got to my hotel room and turned the ignition off and immediately tried to restart it and it failed again. After tossing and turning all night and worrying that I would have to call a tow truck, the car started the next morning. I dared not turn the ignition off until I made it home safely. This was the scariest incident of them all, a country girl being stranded in the city. I notice that other 2004 Impala have the same problem. It would be nice to get the problem taken care of.

- White Stone, VA, USA

Jul 112014

Impala 6-cyl

I was out running errands. I turn on my left turn signals and it was not working. I depressed my hazard switch, and turned it off and turned my left turn signals again and it started working. I have been having this problem off and on since the beginning of July,2014. I have read numerous complaints about this same issue. This is a safety issue that GM needs to address today!

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 242014

Impala 6-cyl

Now car was pulled into drive, has windows down, and will not start, key does not turn but half of lighting works, we are having bad storms an with a 5 year old child to Transport, cant move the car and has another one blocked in has set for 4 days no way to get the key to turn am able to open door was told it needed ignition switch but cant be put in because car key will not turn so car cannot be put on acc, had to transfer insurance to another vehicle that we are trying to get rid of I cannot take the car anywhere and very devastated, have to tell people when they ask it was a junker going to try to fix, ha ha junker but mr fix it I am a disabled 68 yesr oldto have it draped in plastic and I live in a very up dated community where there is lots of traffic cannot afford to keep driving the van, license and title up in two days I am disabled and we have a child to pick up and return after visitation I need an answer right away ordered the stupid ignition switch and paid for it and now it cant be installed because the key will not turn says it has to be set on acc. Cant do that, cant push it because it wont move owned this car less than a month tax license, title and insurance lots of money I don't have they need to get this car fixed asap or I will have to have a loaner car, to pick up my daughter social security is not enough to live on and I don't have the money paid it all out for what I was told was a good car and it was cheaper on gas bought from an insurance man, please I cant wait I do not have money to drive around in some one else's vehicle help help help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaze urgent help needed 3. personal information

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Jul 112014

Impala 6-cyl

Brakes making loud noise, had front brake pads put on and now back brakes making loud noises car all of sudden didnt want to stop, now car was pulled into drive, has windows down, and will not start, key does not turn but half of lighting works, we are having bad storms an with a 5 year old child to Transport, cant move the car and has another one blocked in has set for 4 days no way to get the key to turn am able to open door was told it needed iginition switch but cant be put in because car key will not turn so car cannot be put on acc, had to transfer insurance to another vehicle that we are trying to get rid of I cannot take the car anywhere and very devastated, have to tell people when they ask it was a junker gonna try to fix, ha ha junker but mr fix it I am a disabled 68 yesr oldto have it draped in plastic and I live in a very up dated community where there is lots of traffic cannot afford to keep driving the van, licence and title up in two days I am disabled and we have a child to pick up and return fter visitation I need an answer right away ordered the stupid iginition switch and paid for it and now it cant be installed because the key will not turn says it has to be set on acc. Cant do that, cant push it because it wont move owned this car less than a month tax license, title and insurance lots of money I dont have they need to get this car fixed asap or I will have to have a loaner car, to pick up my daughter social security is not enough to live on and I dont have the money paid it all out for what I was told was a good car and it was cheaper on gas bought from an insurance man, please I cant wait I do not have money to drive around in some one else's vehicele help help help pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeaze urgent help needed.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Feb 052014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle would shake vigorously when the brakes were applied. The failure occurred while driving various speeds. The dealer replaced all four brakes, rotors, and tires and performed an alignment; however, the failure recurred. In addition, the vehicle would fail to restart when turned off for thirty minutes or longer. The starter was replaced twice, but this did not remedy the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 161,000.

- Chubbuck , ID, USA

Jul 192014

Impala

Often my 2004 Chevy Impala will not start on the initial try. I have to wait several minutes with the ignition on for the system to reset. This is a widely known issue and Chevrolet should own up to the mistake and fix the problem.

- Antelope, CA, USA

May 152013

Impala 6-cyl

The day I bought the car used, the lights went out on the way home. After complaining on a Chevy forum, I bought a used multifunction switch which I learned was a common problem in Impala and monti carlos. This year in spring (sorry I don't remember the exact date or miles) that part malfunctioned when on bright. The salvage yard was sold out in used switches because it was such a common defect and I couldn't afford a ne, w one. While driving on dim I hit two deer which caused $100S of dollars in damages. I complained Chevy said they knew it was a problem and that I would have to pay for the part myself. I paid over $300 to replace with my labor. Then my lights went out on dim. Chevy did the math, its cheaper to take the chance O someone dying and suing then to take away this money source for dealers

- Roach, MO, USA

Mar 132009

Impala 6-cyl

My car as well as other GM cars of my year, 2000-2006 have experienced a "no-start" condition when the key is turned to the start position to start the engine. It is a very prevalent problem that occurs with GM's passlock anti-theft system. My car does not start right away at times. The "security" light would illuminate while driving and when I tried to start the car, it would not turn on at all. While it won't start, the "security" light would flash several times. It takes over 10 minutes for the car to start. Although, this may not seem like a life-threatening recall, but it can be. If anyone were to be in a very dangerous area and the car takes over 10 minutes to start, the odds of that person getting hurt or possibly killed are extremely high! GM has never ever recalled their passlock issue, and it can cost over $2,000 to repair the problem for which there is no guarantee that it will fix the problem. Please take this matter seriously, it can cost someone's life, someone's lost wages for work, and a host other unfortunate results if it's going to take a car over 10 minutes to start because of a faulty, anti-theft system.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 272014

Impala 6-cyl

I have had issues with lights for the past 6 months. First started out where if I had my bright lights on every now and again all my lights would go off while driving. The bright lights wouldn't stay on so had to hold to keep them on. Then it came a period of time where all my lights would not work. On Friday, June 27th 2014, I was at work and happened to look out the window and noticed my lights were on. Went outside to see if car was dead. When I got in the car I could see that my steering column was smoking (on fire) coming from the turn signal switch. The bright lights had stuck to on somehow and this is why I could see that my llights were on. I unhooked the battery and the smoking stopped. When I went to hook battery back up there wasn't any more smoking but my windshield wipers were going as fast as they could and I couldn't switch or do anything to make them stop. The hazards or all my lights were blinking on/off repeatedly. Nothing I could do to stop. As of now I'm driving without any fuse to the wipers and the lights work during the daytime but will not work at all after dark. I've been told the part that is needed to replace this is a multi-functional switch. However, this is going to cost $800 to replace. Many complaints out there about the same thing happening to same year/make/model car and no recall??

- Marshall, WI, USA

Feb 272014

Impala

I own a 2004 Chevrolet Impala an in February while driving up tha high way my keys just like popped out of the ignition my car lost power and I hit the guard rail at 60 mph my air bags didn't come out. Me N my girlfriend was in the car. On July 1st I find out there's a recall on my car I tried contacting a few Chevrolet dealership companies near me an I've been denied any car repairs.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

May 132014

Impala 6-cyl

I leased the car 5/10/2014 and I had seven occasions where the car simply wouldn't start and the check engine light came on over night on its own which caused the battery to die.

- Rockford, IL, USA