2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 6 of 20)

Jan 162013

Impala 6-cyl

I was in a K mart parking lot I hit a speed bump and when I did my car just shut off. Recently I was at work I got in my car to go St home and my car wouldn't start I waited 20 minutes tried it again it started up this has occurred quite frequently now and when I took it to my mechanic he hooked it to a car analyzing machine it just says security fault. My mechanic feels it is in the switch and my father is a retired mechanic and he said it is a bad part of the switch also.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Jan 102013

Impala 6-cyl

I have a electrical problem with my ignition switch. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn't do anything, sometimes security light comes on. Sometimes it shuts off. Had it looked at and they said it needs a new ignition switch. Is that under a recall. Had problem for about a year or so, but they couldn't say for sure it is the switch"??????????"

- Grafton, WI, USA

Mar 122014

Impala 6-cyl

First of all my security light flashed on and off several months before, and then it stayed on right before these times my car would not start. I was out of town at the hospital.went to start my Impala and it wouldn't start. I had to wait 20 minutes and it started up and ran perfect. Got home, shut the car off, went back out to go to the store and it wouldn't start again.waited 10 minutes, still would not work.waited another 15 minutes, car started. Went to the store. Came out of the store started right up. Went home shut the car off, next morning had my husband try and start the car.it started right up. So I thought everythings ok. Got in my car to go to the doctor would not start. Waited 30 minutes started. That's were I'm at now. I was told while im driving my car it might shut down and cause me to wreck, it has something to do with the security passlock system.I've read a lot about other 2004 Chevy Impala doing this also.should'nt GM do a recall before someone gets killed.

- Beverly, WV, USA

Mar 222010

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle will on occasion not start and displays a flashing security light in the information center. If I wait 10 minutes the security light will go out and the car will start. Dealer stated they could not diagnose as problem was intermittent and not reproducible. Problem happened on occasion over next several years, all with same symptoms. Each time met with the same dealer denial and lack of ability to reproduce the symptoms. This year the problem became frequent and turns out to be a defective passlock II sensor or ignition switch. From reading this is a common problem but was never addressed or acknowledged by GM. Paid $1500 for replacement of ignition switch and BCM at local Chevy dealer, who acknowledged this is a common problem.

- Independence, MO, USA

May 102014

Impala

The key does not turn in the ignition. I have switched keys and it still does not work. I've tried pressing the break and turning the steering wheel at the same time as turning the key. I have to try to keep turning the key until it finally decides to turn. There has been no mistreatment of the ignition at all.

- Fredonia, NY, USA

Apr 022013

Impala 6-cyl

When I attempt to start the vehicle, sometimes it will not start. No ignition. There is power but not ignition. After I wait 10 minutes it will start. It has something to do with the ignition switch. I have been informed that this is a security switch in the ignition switch, the shuts the car down, so the car cannot be started. And after 10 minutes exactly the vehicle will start. I have talked with other individuals that state that they too have this problem.

- Staunton, IL, USA

May 012012

Impala 6-cyl

Intermittently when driving vehicle at night and switching on high beams, then when switching back to low beams, the headlights go off completely. I have to remember to put the fog lights on, so if the lights go out I will still be able to see.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Mar 062013

Impala

Head lights will not turn on, blinkers will not turn on, traction control turns itself of and you cannot turn it back on. The following dash lights illuminate. Check engine, battery and ABS. This has been happening for about a year on and off. Started at about 80,000 miles. Sometimes only one of the above conditions occur and sometimes all at once. Problems happen day and night, damp or dry, usually only occur during engine start up, but occasionally has occurred while driving. I found a trick to make the head lights come on (turning on and off my hazard lights). My fog lights are not affected by these issues. I have had the battery and alternator tested multiple times because that is the direction everyone points me too. Both are good. I see others having the same issues. I hope this gets look into.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Apr 242014

Impala 6-cyl

On the night of April 24, 2014 at approximately 10:30 pm I had just got off work and went to start my car and it would not start I got a message displayed on the control panel which says security after sitting about 30 minutes in the rain and cold it started up then I got home and turn it off then tried to turn it back on and it would not start it show security on the dashboard I have reviewed a couple sites on the internet and a lot of people having this problem with Chevrolet Impala's from 2000 to 2004 I think that's a big concern being a electric problem because you can be in the middle-of-the-road and a car just cuts off and will not start back up.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 212014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway thinking I was doing 80 mph and traffic was passing me. When I exited the highway and came to a stop my speedometer still said I was doing 30 mph. From that point on it went haywire. When I am at a stop it now says I am doing 60 mph and when I start to move forward it jumps to 120 mph. I have no idea how fast I am going. I have read hundreds of complaints for the same thing. The cost to repair is close to $500. This is obviously a safety issue and is a widespread problem. Should be a recall.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Jan 022012

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the security light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer multiple times but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Tonawanda, NY, USA

Apr 152014

Impala

I have been having a problem with the fact that my 2004 Chevrolet Impala has a habit of not wanting to start, and also the fact that at any time the car is running, I can pull the key from the ignition and the car continues running. I would like these problems taken care of a.S.a.P. please find a way to fix these problems soon. My job depends on my car being reliable.

- Muncy, PA, USA

Apr 112014

Impala

I'm experiencing the same affects as the newer models and it has been a problem now for the 1 and a half years I've owned this vechicle. I want this problem fixed.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Mar 172014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to turn in any direction after numerous attempts. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 092012

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving, the vehicle suddenly stalled and the engine was unable to be restarted. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch was faulty. The ignition switch was replaced and the defect was remedied. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 113,000. Updated 06/10/14

- Union Town , OH, USA

Feb 042013

Impala

Went out to the car to start it and it wouldn't start or turnover. This happened on various occasions. I had to put it in neutral than slam it into park and then turn the key over. I did this a couple times before it finally started. I was told that it sounded like my neutral safety switch but another mechanic said these cars don't have neutral safety switches. Very annoying especially when your on vacation and far from comfort.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Aug 012008

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving various speeds the vehicle would suddenly lose power and stall. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the ignition switch was defective and needed to be replaced. The ignition switch was replaced and the defect was remedied. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Surf Side Beach, SC, USA

Mar 312014

Impala 6-cyl

I went out to start my Impala to get ready for work. Unlock my doors as I normally do, and proceed to start the car. It is the Chevy key that comes with the car. Anyway, I turn the key and nothing, all I get on my dash is the flashing security light. So I went back inside and done some research while on the phone with my supervisor letting him know that I was going to be late. Turns out, this is a common problem with the Impala of my body style, the ignition switch or the pass lock module. Very inconvenient, this is the 5th or 6th time this has happened, really hurts when you have kids with you and its hot or cold outside. This issue needs to be looked into!

- Campobello, SC, USA

Mar 172010

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving my father's 2004 Chevy Impala at the time of the mechanical failure. I was making a left hand turn from orchard lake rd onto northwestern hwy (I believe this is farmington mich) at this point I lost power to the vehicle (engine, brakes & power steering dead) and coasted to the right hand lane on northwestern hwy. I proceeded to restart the engine and continued on my merry way. No problems going the rest of the way home. The next day I had a problem starting the vehicle. This went on for several days until I took the vehicle to the auto dealership where they replaced the ignition switch. The dealership charged my father $481.39 to replace the ignition switch. I have the work invoice from the dealership showing the work performed. I also have proof of payment to mastercard showing the work was paid for.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Nov 122013

Impala

The turn signals stopped working. After panicking and turning on hazard lights, then again trying the turn signals, did they decide to begin working again. Now the turn signals randomly decide to stop working, and must use the hazard trick again to get them working. Almost caused numerous accidents, and caused a traffic ticket. Can not figure out the problem as to why they do this, but read up on many different sites that many different people experiencing the same difficulties. Very dangerous for people with children.

- Maple Heights, OH, USA