2005 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 4 of 11)

Aug 022014

Impala 6-cyl

The ignition on my Chevy Impala will not turn. It is locked and will not turn. I have read of other sights that other Impala are having the same issue. The dealer is not helpful and tom gill Chevrolet in florence, ky said there were no recalls on my car. However, I saw one on the web. No wonder Chevy is having issues with the recall the reps are not helpful and do not want to find a solution. The dealer says there was never a recall affecting my car.

- Union, KY, USA

Aug 012014

Impala 6-cyl

Ignition: Driving on highway, his small pot hole and ignition shut off causing loss of steering, gas etc. Was able to maneuver to side of road and shut car off and restarted. Dash: Temperature gauge doesn't work at all making it difficult to tell whether car is overheating or not.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Feb 032014

Seems a lot of 2000-2005 Impala are experiencing the same issues as I am with the dash instrument panel and possible issues with the passlock system. Sometimes I have to wait 10-15 minutes to crank my car when it wont start or do the lock and unlock trick to reset the passlock system. Ironically enough haven't had issues with the ignition switch which now has an active recall. Instrument panel speedometer stuck on 120 mph while in stop position...almost got a ticket over memorial day weekend because I was speeding...showed the officer my speedometer that was sitting on 90 mph at the time and he gave me a warning and told me to get that fixed.

- Odenville, AL, USA

Mar 162010

Impala 6-cyl

The passlock sensor went bad at 74000 miles. I could not start my car for up to a 1/2 hour. This happened several times. I had the pass lock sensor replaced at a cost of approximately $600. Shortly after the replacement the speedometer became stuck at 60 mph. I discovered when I turned my key in the ignition the needle on the speedometer would drop. If I turned the key several times it would reset itself. I do not want to do this because I fear it will wear out the ignition switch. Then the gas gauge stopped working. The needle gets stuck far beyond the full or empty line and will not budge unless I do ignition switch thing. I have to use my trip meter and guess how much fuel I have left. The "needs fuel" light is still working so far. Then the temperature gauge stopped working and now the fan motor sensor is also going bad on the A/C unit. These issues should be part of a recall. I cannot afford to keep fixing this vehicle. As I understand it these problems are part of the cluster gauge system and there have been many complaints about it.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 092010

Impala 6-cyl

This is for information only: Our car's speed odometer started acting up--registering high speeds when hardly moving and no speed when on the interstate- in November, 2010. I called the 800 number in the owners manual and after exchanging phone calls for several weeks the told me that they would furnish a new instrument cluster for our car free as long as we paid the labor to have it installed at a local dealer. I had to take car to dealer so they could get correct instrument cluster number so they could send correct one. Dealer contacted us when cluster was there and we took car in. As luck would have it we had a card from either the dealer or GM for a one time 10% discount. We were able to use this and had cluster replaced for $135 total labor and no cost for parts. Well worth a few phone calls to GM/Chevrolet.

- Greenleaf, ID, USA

Apr 282014

Impala 6-cyl

The problem started with the security light coming on. Then the temp gauge stopped working. Sporadically would not start. I waited 15 minutes with key in the on position, when security light went off, turn off and back on. Most times this would work. Headlights would flicker on and off. Driver side window stopped working. One day my dashboard, and door controls just went hay wire. Car will not turn over at all now. Key easily slides out of the on position. Have already had car looked at several times with no success. When researching this issue online, it seems that many other people are having this very similar issue. At this point it is a safety concern for me and my family.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Feb 012013

Impala 6-cyl

My 2005 Chevy Impala intermittently fails to start. It will restart after waiting about 15-20 minutes. This is a similar problem (potential safety issue) I had with a previously owned 2000 Impala, and other frustrated Impala owners express online. Certified technicians are unable to pin point the cause and GM customer service was not helpful when contacted on the matter.

- Kendall Pk., NJ, USA

Aug 192013

Ignition not working properly. While driving security light comes on. Multiple times a week car won't start. Battery's perfect.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Dec 212012

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated the ignition failed to start until after numerous attempts. The failure recurred seven times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the ignition switch would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was unavailable. Updated 8/19/14 the consumer stated the steering mechanism failed also. Updated 09/5/2014

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 222014

Security system comes on and the vehicle will not start...........

- Ladysmith , WI, USA

May 212014

I recently purchased a 2005 Impala in April of 2014. There was no check light engine on for about a week, but the light did come on and also with the airbags light. When braking both lights will disappear. At times of accelerating, the lights will appear. Also, I have a faulty ignition switch that is affecting my headlights, radio, interior lights, and my key will barely turn.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 192014

Impala 6-cyl

Found out my horn stopped working while driving. Nearly got in several accidents because I couldn't sound my horn as warning. Found out from shinee la fleur at the dealership that Chevy put in a update to cover the horn from water damage. This should have been a recall not an update. The horn shorted out because water got to the electric part of the horn. This problem could have shorted out my entire electrical system but luckily it only shorted out the horn. The dealer wants to charge me $425 for there mistake. I would like this car to be on a recall for possible damage by water because the shield they put on now protects it. Why wasn't this shield sold with the car from the beginning. The tech stated that this problem does exist on all these cars but Chevy does nothing about it.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

May 092012

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at night, he noticed that the instrument panel failed to illuminate. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000 and current mileage was 200,000. Updated 7/22/14 the consumer stated there was an issue with the ABS and ignition. Updated 07/29/14

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Apr 022014

Impala 6-cyl

I've heard a lot about the recalls regarding several Chevy vehicles in regards to the ignition and I was wondering why Impala are not on the list. You can look at numerous web forms with people having trouble starting their Impala's like my self. You can also read that there is really no explanation or fix to the problem. The problem in general is a good majority of the time older Chevy Impala's have a hard time starting or just won't start for a good 15 minutes. From the many Impala owners I talk to a lot of them are wondering if this was the start of the issue with the recalled Chevy vehicles. I have yet to experience any other described issue related to the recall but again I am worried if this is a sign of the issues or slightly related.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Sep 062010

Impala 6-cyl

Driving on grande blvd tyler tx, on my way to work, headlights turned off completely, turned the high beams on and the headlights came back on.

- Flint, TX, USA

Feb 032014

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle shut off while driving, this has occurred twice, able to direct vehicle to side of the road safely. At time had multiple keys and items hanging from keychain. Now drive with just key alone in ignition has not occurred since.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Mar 172014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving at approximately 40 mph on a straight roadway with brights on when the headlights went out. This occurred in the early morning while it was still dark out. The parking lights remained on. Pulling the headlight switch on the left side of dash to the "manual on" position did not help. I turned on the fog lights and returned home using the fog lights only. Upon arriving home, I was able to get the headlights to work again by switching to high beam and back. This has been an intermittent problem for this vehicle in the past month. The multifunction switch felt like it was fully engaged and gave an audible click when pulled. I have ordered a replacement multifunction switch to repair this.

- Lowell, MI, USA

Feb 132014

I noticed a strange smell like melting plastic coming from my passenger side dashboard under the glove compartment. Took it straight to the dealer. They discovered my back window defrost shorted out the fuse box on the passenger side. Completely melted it and ruined the box. If I had waited any longer it probably would have started a fire.

- Hales Corners, WI, USA

Jun 012013

Speedometer stopped working properly. Would register zero or off the scale. Never correct. With so many complaints you would think that something would be done as this is a necessary instrument but obviously GM doesn't care and ntsb is too busy until someone is killed.

- Lihue, HI, USA

Nov 142013

While driving on the interstate with the cruise set to 65 mph, the needle on the speedometer started to slowly show a decrease in speed eventhough the actual speed of the car did not change. Over the next 50 miles the speedometer continued to decrease until it was below 0 although the cars speed stayed a 65mph. Since then similar problems appeared with the RPM gauge where the needle shows it redlining even though the car is idling.

- Bloomington, IL, USA