2005 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 5 of 11)

Nov 082011

Impala 6-cyl

During a snow storm, traveling with traffic at a safe speed. I was cut off by another vehicle because my horn failed. I was not able to alert the other driver that it was not safe to merge into my lane. Resulting in my car entering the ditch to avoid a multi-car accident. I have researched 2005 Chevy Impala horn failure, and I have found many have burned out. My mechanic states he believes it is a known issue with Chevrolet due to the placement of the horn itself, the horn is in an unprotected area, it can and will "burn" out due to rain water, snow, etc. This is a safety issue. As important as any other. The cost to replace the horn is over $200 with labor because of the additional labor to get to the horn.

- Dunkerton, IA, USA

Oct 152013

This has happened a few times now with both the speedometer and temperature gauge. I start the car and start driving and happen to look down and either the speedometer or the temperature gauge will be giving a false high reading. Seeing as the car had just started it could not possibly be overheating. I find if I shut the car off and cycle the key from off to on without starting engine I can get it to drop back to where it should be. I hear this is a very common problem and it will fail eventually. I drive highways mostly and not knowing my correct speed when trying to enter and merge with traffic is very dangerous.

- Jordan, MN, USA

Oct 222013

Noticed a smell and started seeing smoke coming out of the glove compartment. Turned off car and checked to find out the blower motor, resister and harness melted.

- Holland, MI, USA

Aug 042011

Impala 6-cyl

Car has just rolled over to a little over 165, ,000 miles and when we bought it at the time we didn't think anything of it and then turns out a year after we bought the car it started smelling like gas big time but we didn't know where it was coming from then when I went to put the car in park the check engine light came on so im like thinking now what and so we take it to a garage and they say oh your entire exhaust system is rusted out and that there's a dollar size hole near the front of the exhaust but we didn't get it fixed becuz we couldn't at the time so they just told me to drive it as is and I have been but I've been noticing that it sounds louder and louder almost like how a car does not have an exhaust system and I really don't feel safe becuz its loud and it smells like gas on the inside and im afraid of it catching on fire one of these days and as for the resistor blower module for the A/C and heater we already had to replace that three times becuz it kept going out and I really don't want to have the car catch on fire becuz the blower motor resistor module isn't working properly and I don't have any money to keep fixing things on my car.

- Fort Dodge, IA, USA

Dec 122012

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated after adding gasoline to the vehicle, the fuel gauge displayed an inaccurate reading. The speed odometer remained at zero regardless upon the speed the vehicle was driven. In addition, the temperature gauge would fluctuate. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- North, SC, USA

Apr 012013

It started with the tachometer not reading right, then it started working, then stopped, now the speedometer and tachometer is not working right, if I turn off the car or be at a non-moving state it will read anywhere from 10-20mph, if I am driving it will read or not at all, nothing is accurate...good grief my car has under 41000 miles on it. It seems like to me after looking at the extensive complaints on this problem with the Impala, Chevrolet would issue a recall and fix this ridiculous issue. It certainly makes me not want to buy another Chevrolet again! I would think they would want to have more of their cars on the road than foreign and realize the american people are more informed and do research before buying large purchases such as a car, and we base our decisions on what we hear and read on companies customer satisfaction, and most importantly the safety issues!

- Marysville, CA, USA

Mar 062013

My Impala is having traction control and ABS issues making it harder to feel safe on the road. ABS starts working for no reason when stopping lightly and the traction control also starts working when taking off in normal conditions making the car hesitant.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 012012

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer and temperature on the instrument cluster read eradicate at all speeds. When I went to a mechanic he said he was changing 3 to 5 of these a week. Just think hundreds of thousands or maybe millions of vehicles on the road with no clue as to how fast they are going. It's not just this make and model GM has a lot of them. There are many businesses that are rebuilding these instrument clusters because of the failures. Check it out on the internet. When is GM going to be made to correct there faulty products?

- Menominee, MI, USA

Aug 012011

Impala 6-cyl

From stop I would step on the gas, and the car would slam into gear. I have had to have the electrical cluster replaced $300, and the fuel control replaced (car always smelt like gas) now they think this slam is the tcc valve in the transmission which is anywhere from $600-$900. Also the steering knuckle makes a loud noise on sharp turns. Whats next" are any of these issues recalls"

- New Era, MI, USA

Sep 032012

Speedometer was first off by 5 miles then worked, few months later you would be driving 30 and it would say 60 then it would work fine at random last time it actually spun around and the pointer was all the way down to the gear information. After that the heat gage would read at max temp but the temperature was fine and then it to stopped working. Replaced the cluster for around $350.

- Elysain, MN, USA

Jul 182012

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the instrument panel cluster was inoperable and would fail mostly when driving during evening hours. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who performed a diagnostic test but to no avail. The dealer also could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact to take the vehicle back to the dealer for another diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 59,600.

- Guiton, GA, USA

Oct 032012

I am the original owner of a 68K miles 2005 Chevy Impala. The car was parked at my place of employment for the 8 hrs. My work hours ended and I started the car to proceed home. I pressed the sunroof switch to make it automatically open. It did not open. Smoke started to fill the passenger compartment and I noticed a flicker coming from the headliner. It was a flame. I tapped the headliner to make it go out and exited the car and removed my keys from the ignition upon exiting.

- Parma, OH, USA

Sep 042012

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer wasn't registering any speed at all when car was movin approximately 50 mph. Next day, speedometer was reading approximately 30mph faster than probably traveling (90-100mph) on city streets. Dealer estimates about $275 for parts, and $190 for labor to fix instrumentation panel.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 282012

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala ls. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the speedometer fluctuated continuously. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 102010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that upon starting the vehicle, the gauges on the instrument panel did not display their proper readings. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer did not perform a diagnosis. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 92,000 and the current mileage was 120,000. The VIN was not available.

- Tumwater, WA, USA

May 142012

Impala 6-cyl

Horn was working fine and it was nice and loud always sounded like a tractor trailer horn. Then the horn started getting weaker and sounding like a regular horn then the horn just quit working. This happen within two weeks time. Replaced fuses but that didn't work.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 072012

Impala 6-cyl

I have had this car towed 4 times since March 2012. When the car decides to start and is driven for short destinations, it will not start. Problem is intermittent. Gives no warning of impending doom! cranks but will not start. On April 13, 2012 vehicle started after having set in driveway for a week or more. I drove it to nearest dealer, merollis Chevrolet. After 7 days, dealer requested I pick-up vehicle because it started each day and they could not diagnose. Fearful of a repeat performance, I drove car home and parked it. Several days later, car failed to start. Following day 5/7/12, car would not start. Towed car to james martin Chevrolet. They cannot diagnose because it has started daily for dealer. Our world is too dangerous for anyone to drive a car that will leave them stranded for unknown reason. This is a life and death issue. Help!

- Detroit,, MI, USA

Mar 172012

Impala 6-cyl

I'm not sure what this would be classified under but here's the description. The gauges go haywire, I.e. the speedometer just keeps going up even if you slow down - until it goes almost all the way around again. It normally stops at the bottom like at the 200 degree position if on a 360 degree view. This has been happening on my car since around the 30K mileage. Starting just last week [March 2012], now the temperature gauge is starting to do the same thing. It started running "hot", [but not really] so I immediately shut down my car, called my mechanic, etc. The temp gauge also went all the way around and sometimes stays there, sometimes it comes back around to normal. Upon restarting the car, the temp gauge would start coming back down in segments - turning the ignition switch on/off would make the gauges come back down to normal in notches or spaced increments. Now I'm running my car without knowing the proper speed and also not sure if my car is really overheating or not.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Dec 242010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the speedometer and the entire instrument panel failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was advised that the instrument panel needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,000 and the current mileage was 85,456.

- Abbyville, AL, USA

Feb 162012

Impala 6-cyl

This report is about sudden and repeated headlight electrical system failure in a 2005 Chevrolet Impala sedan, and a request for a nationwide safety recall and repair at GM expense for this issue. After getting in my 2005 Impala sedan at approximately 4:55 pm on 16 February 2012, I started up and drove out on the road then I smelled burning plastic and noticed the headlights (low beam) were out. I tried the high beams and they worked as did the left and right turn signals, the windshield wiper controls and the cruise control functioned. As darkness increased I had to hold the switch in the high beam position so I could see to drive so I could get home. From what I could determine the problem seems to be in the wiring to/from the multifunction light control switch or maybe it is the switch itself on the steering column. The fuses and relays and the all seemed to be in working order but the low beam lights still did not work. This failure is extremely dangerous and happens without warning. This is the second time this has happened to me now. With dealer parts cost for a replacement multifunction light switch at $350 alone, not to mention labor costs and the criticality of lights while driving means this should be a required safety recall item. I have searched mechanical forums on this subject and there are many such occurrences documented, but GM does not seem to think there is a common problem or a reason to investigate and fix the malfunction. This problem is common knowledge at GM dealerships nationwide. Smelling burning plastic is an indication of a serious electrical problem which could lead to an onboard fire in the car in addition to causing injury and or death from a sudden light outage at night. Again, I request a nationwide safety recall and repair be initiated as it appears to be a manufacturing defect and an extreme safety issue.

- Tumwater, WA, USA