2005 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 7 of 11)

Jan 012011

Impala

All three of the gauges in my 05 Impala have malfunctioned. I have no way of knowing how much fuel is in the car, the temp of the engine, and at times the speed of the car. My research suggests a faulty stepper motor used by GM. While I can live with the fuel gauge malfunction and the temperature gauge malfunction, the speedometer malfunctioning presents a safety issue. When it acts up the gauge will indicate a speed that is obviously errant, leaving me guessing as to my actual speed.

- Pleasant City, OH, USA

Jan 102011

Impala

The instrument panel on my 2005 Chevy Impala works intermittently. This includes gas, speedometer, and temperature gauges. The driver is left not knowing conditions of the vehicle. Seems to be worse in cold weather.

- Farmington, NM, USA

Jun 012009

Impala 6-cyl

2005 Impala, failed instrument panel. Like the other 65+ complaints, my instrument panel began failing at 75,000 miles. At first, could reset with key to acc numerous times, no longer works. Unplug battery resets, but at any time starts again. It seems especially bad in cold weather. When speedometer does work, jumps from 20-40-60 mph with no change in actual speed of vehicle, or drops to 0. cost is over $500 from shadetree mechanic, $800 dealership, with no vehicle for days. Now, at 90,000 the temp gauge is gone too, constantly straight down, 400+ degrees, but vehicle not running hot. Am starting to fill gas tank even when not necessary, should be the next gauge to fail in the cluster. Unacceptable that there is no recourse for the consumer for what a $10 part, which is why it failed in the first place. My guess is, it isn't a pricey enough car to rate a repair.

- East Bend, NC, USA

Nov 252010

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 70 mph the speedometer stopped working. The speedometer would fail intermittently and over time it stopped functioning. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Richmond, IN, USA

Sep 012010

Impala

The speedometer on my 2005 Chevrolet Impala ls stopped working and now the needle points straight down. There is no way for me to judge my speed which is very dangerous for me and other motorists. After researching this situation there seems to be a defect in a part called a cluster which is a dealer item and is very costly to repair, therefore my car has yet to be repaired. This bad cluster has also caused other system problems, gauges, heater, and traction control problems because apparently this part controls a lot of different systems. Someone needs to make GM recall this cluster and do the right thing by replacing these parts and repairing these dangerous cars.

- Fayetteville, TN, USA

Nov 082010

Impala

1. my fuel gauge quit working as I was driving to work. All the other gauges kept working. The needle was pointing down and would move at the bottom when the vehicle was turned on and off. I spent $400 to replace the instrument cluster which appears to be a problem as listed on the complaints section. 2. I purchased a 2005 chev Impala 01/2006 with15,00 miles on it. I started to notice a bit of a hard shifting on take off, only after driving it in the city after about the 2nd year of driving. The problem never left, in fact it has gotten worse over the years that we have owned the car. The problem with my car is the transmission shifts hard and only seems to do it if you did a a lot of start and stopping and you could turn the car off and let it sit for 10 min. Or so then it won't do it again. Sometimes it would go for several days or weeks before it would happen again or will do it several times in a row. When I had the instrument cluster replaced I had them check for codes and found a P1811.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Oct 102010

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer is miss-reading, at 65mph I am reading 140mph, it will not reset back to zero. Now it has went a complete circle and is reading 3mph at 65mph GM will not cover the cost of replacement. I have no idea how fast or slow I'm going in a city in a school zone. This is a safety issue.

- Johnstown, OH, USA

Sep 162010

Impala

Speedometer displays incorrect speed.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jul 012009

Impala

I own a 2005 Chevy Impala and for the last year my speedometer has failed on several occasions. The speedometer will jump without warning leading to unsafe traveling conditions especially while traveling on highways. Cycling the ignition will temporarily fix the issue but this has become a hassle. When I started to research the issue on the internet I found hundreds of complaints on the same issue. I also found where there was a class action law suit that forced the repair of the same problem on other vehicles for the same model year range. Why do we as consumers have to pay for and fix the problem when it is an obvious defect in manufacturing" why didn't the class action lawsuit alert the NHTSA that this is potentially a bigger problem? do we have to wait for deaths like the Toyota recall before someone takes this seriously? imagine that you think you are traveling at a safe rate of speed on ice covered roads when in reality you are not because of defective electronics¿ hmmm. I refuse to pay for a known defect, us consumers are entitled to protection from a blatant disregard to manufacturing standards and safety. I welcome your response. www.topix.com/forum/autos/Chevrolet-Impala/tjsmiqpd8J0ft5dk8 www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Impala/2005/accessories-interior/speedometer_cluster_gauges_gone_haywire.shtml wiki.answers.com/Q/how_do_you_change_the_speedometer_on_A_2005_chevy_impala www.justanswer.com/questions/jhfu-I-have-A-2005-Chevy-Impala-the-speedometer-works-correctly www.2carpros.com/forum/2005-Chevy-Impala-speedometer-does-not-work-all-the-time-VT115821.html "Q=&page=5 townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee9E83D/13472 www.gmspeedometerrecall.com/.

- Auburn, ME, USA

Aug 152010

Impala

First issue took place on a clear sunny day at highway speed. The speedometer at first seemed to stick as it moved up and down instead of moving normally. The speedometer jumps to extremes in speed, either substantially higher or substantially lower than actual. Once the issue started, it has remained a problem. After looking into the issue, it appears this is a fairly common complaint for GM vehicles, specifically with model years 2000 - 2006. The car in question is a 2005 Impala. The current recommended fix by GM seems to be to replace the instrument panel which can cost upwards of 700 dollars.

- Dalals, GA, USA

May 142007

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer and fuel gauge malfunction. Same as other complaints I've hear and read about. Speedometer and fuel gauge do not work properly. A drivers discussions behind the wheel can only be as good as the information that is displayed to the driver. If speed is not a safety issue, what is?

- Meridian, MS, USA

Dec 172007

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer, gas gauge, tachometer, stopped working @ 41,000 miles. Tach works once in a great while. This is very dangerous as you can't tell how fast you are traveling, and you have no idea how much gas you have until the gas warning indicator comes on. This problem was not corrected yet.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Apr 272010

Impala

My Chevy Impala gauge cluster began to work inappropriately in July 2007. It started with the speedometer, I was driving to work and thought that I was going 55mph but was really going 77mph. I got a ticket and three days later the needle stopped working. Two months later the temp needle and fuel needle stopped working. I continued to drive the car because the dealership where I purchased the car had closed and there was not a Chevy dealership in the area. In April, 2010, my entire dash stopped working, including the message center.

- Buena Vista, GA, USA

Feb 152010

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. While the vehicle was parked, the contact stated that she was unable to start the vehicle. She waited thirty minutes and the vehicle started. The failure occurred intermittently at first but became progressively worse and occurred more often. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where she was informed that the pass lock system was the cause of failure. She took the vehicle to the vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000. The current mileage was approximately 54,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 272009

Impala 6-cyl

With approximately 100,000 miles on 2005 Impala speedometer started to falsely report vehicle speed when driving for more then 3 hours. This has occurred approximately 5 times. Stopping and turning off the vehicle will resolve the issue.

- Howell, MI, USA

Nov 172009

Impala 6-cyl

I bought 2005 Impala ss with 83,000 miles and soon after my speedometer started showing the wrong speed. I thought I was going 55 when I was pulled over for doing 77. Now the needle just hangs straight down, so I started relying on my tach to guess my speed. Then about 1 month later my tachometer started messing up and now it just stays between 1,500 and 2,000 rpms so I have no idea how fast or slow I'm going. Now my gas gauge has messed up it showed I had 3/4 of a tank when my car quit, I thought it was some major problem till my friend talked me into putting some gas in and it started right up. Now I have no idea how fast I'm going or how much gas I have. This doesn't seem right with only 85,000 miles on my car. I have seen several complaints on the Impala instrument clusters so why doesn't Chevrolet do something about it" is it the money it would cost, or the money they would lose with all of us having to replace them with another faulty cluster"

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Nov 012009

Impala

My Chevrolet Impala 2005 started running hot and leaking water took to Chevrolet here in fort pierce they replace the water pump hoses and belts but the car temp gauge is still going into the red on the dash, so I took it back they said that they could've find nothing that was wrong with the car now the ignition sticks and the car won't start, security light comes on, I'm thinking that there's a electrical problem with this car and I wanting to report the problem I'm having.

- Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Mar 122010

Impala

My 2005 Impala speedometer and temperature gauge are working when they want to. I set the cruise controll at 70 mph and car seems to do fine. I dont use the cruise controll and try to hold the car at 70 mph and got a ticket for doing 82 in a 65. After getting the ticket on 12 March the speedometer after either 20 minutes of sitting or driving does not read right says below zero, then I turn car off and on to try and reset the guages work on and off.

- Erie, PA, USA

Mar 082010

Impala 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Impala. Passlock security system is malfunctioning. Will not allow car to start. Electrical issue. No way to reset. Frequently leaves driver stranded for ten to fifteen minutes.

- Hampton , VA, USA

Dec 272008

Impala

About 1 1/2 yrs ago I bought a 2005 Impala, within 4 mths my speedometer, gas gauge & RPM gauge all started acting up. My gas gauge goes way past the full line and never comes back down, the speedometer will say I am doing over 200 km when I may be doing 50 km, the only way I have found to "fix" this is by letting the car cool off for about ten minutes and then turn the key off and on until it drops the speedometer back down to zero, and my RPM gauge will drop to under zero while driving. This happens mostly during cold weather, but has been known to happen while highway driving during the rest of the year. I have been in contact with the rcmp and they feel this is a disaster waiting to happen. I have been in contact with the company and have only been told that I may get a discount on having the part in question replaced...I was told by one dealership it was a cluster problem in the dash and the part alone is $600 not including labor. I have to travel 6 hrs a month atleast for doctors appointments and the safety issue makes me very nervous on the drives to and from my doctor appointments as I do not know how fast I am going on the curves, down hills, or on icy patches on the secondary roads I have to take to my appointments. I know there are other people who have had the same issue from the complaints on the internet. The first time this happened I was December 2008 and since then has happened numerous times.

- Dodsland, 00, USA