2005 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Dec 272009

Impala

The speedometer is constantly inconsistent. Sitting at a stoplight it reads 40"120? 75? I never know what speed im doing. I just go with the flow of traffic, and once again it reads something like 90mph. Sometimes it is even pointing straight down. This has got to be a safety issue right?? I would like a response. How do I go about getting this problem fixed" I have found many complaints about this problem on the internet. This happens at all times, your form does not allow me to tell you this in the " speed at which this occurs" only allows me to put numbers.

- Scottsdale , AZ, USA

Nov 202009

Impala

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Impala and the speedometer is not working properly. I've checked NHTSA complaints and find over and over this same complaint but was told by a Chevrolet dealership this was not a recall. With the number of complaints filed this should be a recall by Chevrolet instead of making the consumer pay for the repairs. In light of recent Toyota recalls I would think Chevrolet would take similar action for this defect in their automobiles.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Dec 012009

Impala 6-cyl

On an almost continuous basis, my 2005 Chevrolet Impala is incapable of reporting accurate speed and gas level.. 9 out of 10 times, I have to guess how much gas I have in the tank, and how fast I am going. At least with the speedometer I can see what it reads at a stop and subtract that amount and get close to actual speed.

- Northport, AL, USA

Oct 212009

Impala

On my grandfathers 2005 Chevrolet Impala the gauge cluster stops working. It first started with the water temp gauge. And now the speedometer works intermittently. Its definitely a safety issue because you don't know how fast your going. And after typing the problem into google.com their are other owners of Impala who have the same problem. The car only has 51K miles on it. Im currently looking online for a reasonable gauge cluster so I can replace it. I feel a recall is in order since this isn't a localized problem. Thank you for your time.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 022009

Impala

I have a 2005 Chevy Impala. The speedometer will quit working and either drops to zero or shows a slower speed than what you are traveling. In addition the temperature gauge will also show a lesser temperature than what is normally shown. This is a problem that has going on since 2007. I have tried to get this repaired but the technicians say they have an issue isolating the problem.

- Britton, MI, USA

Jun 192009

Impala

I have a 2005 Chevy Impala..mileage about 83000. My problem started last year when the speedometer just froze. When I got home and shut the car off it still stayed in the same position. I turned the key on and off and the speedometer went down 5mph each time I turned the key until it went back to Z ero.. then sometimes after it sticks it unfreezes and starts going again. I've had the speed reading 120mph before standing still. This happens every day while driving and is very unsafe because I never know how fast I am going..

- Clinton, IA, USA

Dec 152009

Impala

Instrument cluster has failed, speedometer does not work or is incorrect all the time. Driver does not know how fast or slow they are going, this creates numerous safety issues while driving with or with out other traffic around you. Also the fuel gauge has stopped working and has ran out of fuel in major traffic. I see there have been hundred of complaints filed with NHTSA, there are even more on various websites.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Jan 012009

Impala

2005 Chevrolet Impala instrument cluster failure. Speedometer works intermittently and temp gauge stopped working all together. Unsure if fuel gauge is accurate. Will GM repay me if I am issued a speeding ticket? unsure if engine is operating at safe operating temperature or if engine damage is occurring due to inoperative gauge. Please recommend quickly to General Motors to either recall these defective clusters or add this vehicle to the letter of understanding they issued for the SUV and trucks with the same problem.

- Grafton, OH, USA

Jul 302009

Impala

Speedometer began not working. Now the tachometer & heat gauge don't work. Am going to have to pay to have the gears in the instrument cluster rebuilt because they've bit the dust & I have no way to tell how fast I'm going or how hot my engine might be.

- Pauls Valley, OK, USA

Oct 012009

Impala

Purchase one owner 2005 Impala -5-09. Previous owner reported intermittent fuel gauge reading as only problem, now temp gauge has quit, fuel gauge has quit, speedometer works intermittently. Dealer price to repair $650 to $750. Guess I'll tear out the dash and send cluster for repair.

- Clinton, OK, USA

Jun 142009

Impala

While driving down the road my instrument cluster lights went out. Then I was wondering why everybody was going so slow (45mph) on my speedometer. So I passed them. I had a gps and turned it on it was recording 75mph. It was 20 mph off.

- Marsing, ID, USA

Jul 172009

Impala

In July, 2009, I noticed that my temperature gauge on my 2005 Impala was not working. I took it to the Chevrolet dealer who told me the instrument cluster would need to be replaced and it would affect my mileage. It was a cost prohibitive issue, so I elected just to keep an eye on my radiator and coolant. In September, my fuel gauge quit working, and since that time, I've had to gauge when fuel was low by clocking my mileage. Now, as of today, my speedometer has failed, and this is a problem. I have no way of knowing how fast I'm going. I've checked several sites online, and this seems to be a common issue with the Chevrolet Impala, and one that is a safety issue with regard to speed. Despite the numerous complaints, there has been no recall on the cluster. How would a person go about trying to get a recall issued?

- Braselton, GA, USA

May 102008

Impala

For over a year the speedometer has not been accurate. Speed may register over 100 mph while just barely moving. At the present time it does not register at all.

- Groton, NY, USA

May 012008

Impala

Ongoing problem I hear from Chevy bout this, the speedometer clusters continually fail, speedometer intermittently works, or doesn't work T all, speed sensor is functioning properly, just speedometer reads anywhere from 0 to 100, hangs up anywhere in between, when stopped can show any speed, or when moving may show 0 and not work at all, also temp gauge does not register engine temp anymore, so you have no idea when engine is overheating, both problems can cause dangerous situations from inaccurate speeds to overheating engine which could cause a fire, I have been told from GM employees that they are aware of these problems and will not do anything to correct their defect, online you will find many many clusters for sale to replace bad ones, but they are out of other crashed Impala, and the dealer will charge way to much to correct their defect. Looks like when this causes a death then it will get someone's attention, speed kills especially depending on weather and road conditions, gauges are equipment to help us judge what we do safely, when they don't work then we put everyone in harms way.

- Butte, MT, USA

Nov 122009

Impala

Speedometer on 2005 Impala just quit working. Wont move past 0. so many complaints.....

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Nov 112009

Impala

2005 Chevrolet Impala speedometer goes wacky at intermittent times. I was going 65 mph speedo showed 40mph. Other times I could be stopped at a red light, speedo shows going 50mph. This can lead to a very dangerous condition.

- Seaford, NY, USA

Aug 012009

Impala

Chevrolet speedometer does not work correctly. It will jump or drop at any moment and you have no idea what speed you are actually traveling at. This happens regularly and apparently is a common knowledge problem with these GM cars.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Sep 012009

Impala

The contact owns 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The speedometer displays inaccurate readings. As a consequence he cannot determine the speed he's driving. The manufacturer stated that his information was included in the law suit; therefore they will not repair the vehicle. He was then referred to the dealer, whom will charge an $100 diagnostic fee. No repairs were made. The failure and current mileages were 67,000. The vehicle identification number was unavailable.

- Garland , TX, USA

Jun 172009

Impala

Speedometer and gas gauge stopped working.

- Hemet, CA, USA

Sep 222009

Impala

2002 Chevrolet Impala passlock problem, won't start and security light is on(page 1 of 4 it is defective.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA