CarComplaints.com Notes: Top complaints for the 2006 Chevy Impala include how the transmission slips, clunks and fails. Or how the power steering knocks and squeals. In other words, this car is a noisy bucket of eventual failure points.

2006 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Impala:

2006 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 112014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at 4 mph, the engine lost power and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact mentioned that the vehicle stalled on several occasions. A police report was filed and there were two injuries reported that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed and repaired but the specifics were not available. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 052014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The engine remained running when the vehicle was shut off. The failure has occurred for the past few months. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Floral Park, NY, USA

Jul 152012

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle jerked violently. Immediately following the initial failure, fuel spewed out of the fuel pump. An independent mechanic stated that the engine needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the independent mechanic who stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 162,000.

- Martin, TN, USA

Aug 182014

Impala 6-cyl

I've received a letter stating my vehicle is involved in GM recall 14299, thanks for the update, but parts are not currently available"! the letter repeats how the repairs will be performed for me at no charge... whoopie its your mistake I should not even have to worry about this type of thing. And so what you repair what you didnt get right in the first place, what about the gas I have to put in to drive over 50 miles away to get to a GM dealer? what about the days I miss from work and/or my college classes? oh you're sorry for my inconvenience? what good does your sorry do for me? I work full time, go to college full time and I run my own household I dont have the time or money to drive that far to sit around a garage for an hour or more for it to get fixed. Not to mention the stress I endure while im driving in what I thought was a reliable family car, now I am merely waiting for it to go off the road unintentionally move the key away from the run position and lose my engine power, power steering, power braking and the air bags not deploying increasing my risk of injury or fatality"! now I am supposed to just rest easy and wait for my fatality to possibly occur at any moment while im driving my car that I pay good money for while you figure out when you'll be able to send me a letter which could take months and then set me up an appointment that doesnt interfere with my schedule which is highly unlikely and could also take months. So until then I am to just drive my death trap and wait for the next letter to arrive. I've never bought anything but a Chevrolet but with this incident im not sure I'll ever buy one again. Something should be done. I understand you make mistakes im not blaming you there but you should have to pay for your mistakes not me, a full time college/working student trying to make my while through college on what little I make.

- Enfield, IL, USA

Aug 202014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the engine failed to start. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, the battery was jumped and the vehicle was able to resume normal function. The failure recurred. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Jul 032014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Rohnert Park, CA, USA

Dec 202012

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle decreased in acceleration and the transmission shifted. In addition, the engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled after the accelerator pedal was applied. The failure occurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 131,000. The VIN was not available.

- Fort Washignton, MD, USA

Feb 052011

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala super sport. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled numerous times upon hitting a bump in the road or unleveled land. The vehicle was merged to the side of the road when he was able to restart the vehicle multiple times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was not able to neither duplicate nor diagnose the failure. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V355000 (electrical system). The vehicle was to be inspected by an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 102014

Impala 8-cyl

While driving home from work traveling at a speed of 70 mph I suddenly received a notification of reduced power and to service my traction control had the problem diagnosed as a faulty engine control module still having this problem.

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 042014

Impala

I was driving 35mph down my road in my Impala. The engine light came on and a traction control/reduced engine power message came on. The car suddenly slowed to 20mpg and I almost got rear ended. I was told by a mechanic that this is a hugely popular issue with this car and Chevy refuses to fix it. This is dangerous as I almost lost control when this happened.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Feb 172014

Impala 6-cyl

Shortly after purchasing the vehicle I noticed that when opening the driver's side or any other doors dic (driver's info center) stays lit and radio stays on for 15 minutes. Was told it may be the BCM (body control module). Also checked vehicle's oil and all was fine then 2 weeks later check engine light comes on and dipstick shows no oil. No leaks anywhere on driveway nor under carriage. Steering wheel squeals when turning yet all fluids are topped off. Is this vehicle a lemon?

- Palm Bay, FL, USA

Apr 172013

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted on the first attempt and resumed normally. The failure recurred on two separate occasions. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer to be diagnosed. The manufacture was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000 and current mileage was 42,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Mar 102014

Impala 6-cyl

Driving 65 speed limit, traction control light and engine light came on. Traction control alternates with engine power reduced. Slowed vehicle to 40 mph. Other cars dangerously close and blowing horns. Pulled off road, opened hood shut off engine. Found nothing wrong. Restarted everything normal except engine light still on but power is available. This cycle repeats every few days. There are many people with this problem. About time GM sheds some light on the problem.

- La Crosse, VA, USA

Mar 072014

Impala

There are thousands of complaints over this problem. Not a lot have reported to you but just look up engine power reduced on google. I can not believe GM hasn't done a recall, I guess enough people haven't died yet. You will be driving and all of a sudden the car will loose speed, your car will not accelerate and the engine power reduced will appear on the info bar. I was lucky no one was behind me and I made it home safely. Maybe I should call my local news station and have them do an investigation since GM doesn't care about their customers lives only their payments.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 152014

Impala 6-cyl

Going 55 mph car suddenly dropped to 35 mph almost got rear ended by cars behind me. Dash lights came on service traction control, engine power reduced, check engine light came on, cruise control not working. Had some work done at Chevrolet dealership 100 miles ago so maybe something they did wrong. But I see there are many complaints and dangerous situations caused by this very same message. Someone is going to get hurt or killed by this sudden deceleration with no warning.

- Braselton, GA, USA

Feb 022014

Impala

I was jus leaving my job on my way to school when as I reached about half a mile away from my job the car displayed a message engine power reduced I was goin the speed limit which was about 45 to 50 when I was suddenly uncontrollably brought to under 20 mph cars nearly ran into my rear several times so I had to quickly put on my hazards N pull into a nearby shopping center I had to have the car towed home N now I'm car I don't have the necessary funds my local Chevrolet dealership is chagrin to fix this issue especially when they charge by how long the job takes after for the life of me I can't understand how my 2005 Chevy Impala which had 155000 miles performed better than my 2006 I never had as much issue as I did with this car as I did with older also in this 2006 Impala this cooling system part are very cheap I would not recommend a Chevy to any one after experience the problems I did with this car especially when I was driving and lost all my power steering fluid after just having a recall for an power steering pump hose repaired.

- Miramar , FL, USA

Jan 082014

Impala

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving 55 mph, the engine power reduce light and the check engine light illuminated as the vehicle slowed down independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but they could not determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Patchogue, NY, USA

Dec 112013

Impala 6-cyl

Driving on freeway when a reduced engine power light came on and the car shut off, luckily I was able to pull aside from big trucks, otherwise I would be struck by. No codes and no one knows what the problem is. As far as I know this is a major incident that someone can get hurt or loses life. I went online thru edmunds and saw a lots of complains about the same problem, but when I called the dealer they said nothing about a recall !! been a Chevy customer for a long time. I just can't believe it. Something or someone got to do something about this problem, please !!!

- Hyde Park, NY, USA

Oct 102013

Impala

Was driving in to work. Stopped at mcdonald's and noticed car smoking. Drove across the street to my job to my dash board lighting up warning me to shut the engine off because the car was overheating. I did exactly that (shut the car off) and went inside to call for help. This is the 3rd problem that I have had with this car and I have had the car almost 4 years. Like many other complaints, my heat doesn't work properly, I'm going through oil like crazy, and I seem to be having transmission issues as it hard to get the car out of park and into drive and when it does finally go, I get whiplash from the jerk. GM needs to step up before someone is severely hurt.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Aug 142013

Impala

My car had been showing the service battery charging system for about two days. When I called southeast Kia of somerset, they tried to say it was the actually battery, keep in mind, I have only had this car for six weeks. I knew that it wasn't because I had been having no problems with my car whatsoever before this, and I was raised around mechanics and truck drivers, I do know a little about cars. When I turned the car off it would not start back up. I had the battery jumped three times and it died sitting there, we finally got it charged so that I could drive to my mothers, but had problems on the way there. As I was driving, all of my gauges completely stopped working in my car, and I thought the car had died and that I was coasting. So I pulled over to the side of the road, with my three children in the car, and realized the car was running. I shut the car off, but it kept running. Now, Kia is saying that if it's the alternator it's not covered under a two year warranty that I have, because they don't want to have to fix it basically. I have been severely ripped off, and now me and my children are without a car. I think it is ridiculous that car lots are able to send out terrible and unreliable cars to people without a second thought, and then don't want to fix things. Now I am trying to find a way to get a different car and leave this piece of junk on their lot, I will probably never buy a car again unless it only has about 20 miles on it and is brand new, and will definitely do more research on the type of car, along with the dealership selling it to me. And Kia has not heard the last of me as well.

- Somerset, KY, USA