2008 Chevrolet Impala brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 272014

Impala

So im drving down the expressway I57 at about 85mph and the car beeps 3 times displaying service stabilatrack/ service traction and check engine seconds later the car completely cut off. While in traffic.

- Country Club Hills, IL, USA

Jul 182014

Impala 6-cyl

The airbag light will not go out, the stability control light comes on and the car loses power and the engine starts to cut off. I have sent my car to the dealership twice for the same problem I have even called the Chevrolet corporate office. Each time I get a different answer as to what the problem is the first time. I was told it was sensors that needed to be replace and that it would cost $1200. This time I was told it was the spark plugs that is causing the car to shut down and the cost would be around $400 or $500. The first service in July my receipt says they did a multi-point inspection would that not tell them my plugs were bad? my car is still at friendly Chevrolet in dallas can you please help. My daughter drives this car and she a high risk pregnancy.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 122014

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving to work going about 60 mph on the beltway and the traction control light came on and then the notification light said that the engine speed was reduced check traction control. I couldn't go past 40 mph. I made it to work and parked the car. I went back 8 and half hours later thinking it wasn't going to start or I wasn't going to be able to get home. I started the car and was fine. I haven't had the issue since. Of course I researched and this is an ongoing issue with this car. Hopefully there will be a recall. It is a shame that people have to pay money to fix things that many are having issues with. Apparently, it is the travel pedal sensor. So now I have to fix the travel pedal sensor and get the key from being stuck in the ignition. Another complaint made today by separate entry.

- Newburg, MD, USA

Apr 172013

Impala 6-cyl

While driving 65mph vehicle just died. Was not able to start for about 15 mins. This has happened several times nearly causing several accidents. The vehicle intermittently has reduced engine power while driving and jerks from a complete stop sometimes. Now the oil engine pressure/turn off engine light and alarm go off all the time. Replace the sensor, but to no avail. The loud knocking sound from the dash is utterly annoying. I think the fact that only the police cars got recalled is insane, no matter what the recall was. I'm sure once they took those vehicles in; all the other issues I have mentioned were also fixed. Also the rear driver side power lock is faulty and unsafe when traveling with young children. I honestly believe with so many consumers having the exact same problems, GM should issue a recall on these vehicles before several tragedies occur and we then just become statistics. Please help. There are so many of us out here with the exact same issues on these Impala who should not have to pay for the repair of something that apparently should be recalled by GM. Thank you for your attention to this matter. Updated 2/18/2015

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jun 202014

Impala

Service traction control/engine power reduced lights came on dash. Car lost all power and when stomping the gas pedal speed would resume, very hesitant from a dead stop. Car was jerking, shut off traction control and car jerked then too. GM needs to fix this before there are deaths. Also I have no unlocking doors. They have to all be manually unlocked. Battery was replaced in car and on key fab. Gas pedal sensor and throttle body sensor are the triggered codes, GM needs to find the real solution as these don't seem to fix problem.

- Eureka, IL, USA

May 212014

Impala 6-cyl

This is the second incident we have had with our 2008 Chevrolet Impala where this problem has occurred. The most recent incident was on Wednesday May 21st, around 730 pm. My wife was driving on a road with a posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour, she said she was going about 48 when the traction control light came on, and the messaging system indicated "reduced engine power." When this happens the vehicle slows rather rapidly, and then it is impossible to accelerate beyond about 30 miles per hour or so. Due to the rapid decline in speed and the fact that this occurs without warning, I believe this should be an immediately acted upon problem. I contacted GM only to be told that I have to take it to get it looked at by one of their local dealerships, and pay for that diagnostic. In my online research I have discovered many, probably in the hundreds, who've experienced this identical issue. Some of which have take their car to GM who has concluded according to post of experiences on edmunds that they were unable to determine the source of the problem or repair it. This is a problem that require immediate attention. I can't imagine how differently this could have gone should my wife have been going 75 mph on interstate 80. We live along I-80 and travel it frequently. However as a result of this problem we are essentially unable to trust our vehicle beyond about 50 miles per hour.

- Bettendorf, IA, USA

Sep 182013

Impala

I drive the car and it says engine power reduced stabilatrak it slows down and it feels forced to drive so I pull to the side of the road wait about 10 to 15 minutes and it starts but then it got to the point were it wasn't even drivable with it stating engine power reduced stabilatrak so I called Chevy in modesto ca asked if there was a recall they said no and I told them I seen a lot of complaints on line with the same problems I was going through they said you cant believe everything online miss I took the car into the a mechanic I know he diagnosed it as being a throttle sensor and pedal sensor charged me 587$ I thought the problem was solved a week later it did again engine power reduced but this time it started over heating to ive had nothing but problembs with this car ive also changed the tires numerous times the sensor for tires is always lighthing up and saying check left front tire or back tire I take it to the tire shop they say tires are fine but the back ones need to be changed I change the back tires it still says check back tires ive also had the suspension fixed a few times when itswindy I feel the car moving from side to side I also have had engine problems with the transmission was replaced nowit has has 2 blown head gaskets all in all the past 2 to 3 years I have payed 4 to 6,000 in repair and itsstill running like with it stating engine power reduced stabilatrak I need my vehicleto befixed of this problem.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Feb 262010

Impala

Every time I would drive the 08 Chevy Impala the key would not turn all the way out. It did that for about a week. Then when I made it to work it did the same thing. Came out to go home it would not start at all the key wouldn't turn over. So we had to put it in manual mode to drive it to a shop. A wire in the handle to change gears broke because I was told the wire was to short. Now this was 42 or 43 thousand miles now at 82 its doing the same thing again. Why no recall?

- Gary, IN, USA

Dec 082013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the traction control, stability track and engine reduce power warning lamp illuminated. After the warning lamps illuminated, the vehicle suddenly decelerated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 92,000....updated 03-12-14 the consumer stated the problem was intermittent

- Monroe, NY, USA

Dec 022013

Impala

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Impala ltz. I have had several occasions now when my car has started flashing "service stabilitrak" "engine power reduced" "service airbags" and then all the corresponding lights come on. One of the times the vehicle flashed all of those warnings, the lights came on and the car died, while I was driving. It lost all power and it took everything I had to steer the vehicle off the road. I had my four year old with me that time and was scared I was not going to be able to get us to a safe spot to sit and wait for help. The most recent incident happened last evening on my way home from work. I was driving on the freeway going about 75mph, the warnings flashed and then my car lost power and felt as though it was not handling the road as well as it should. I live in mn and we are in the middle of winter now. I need my car to be safe and I rely on this car to get my son and I to where we need to go safely! this is the only vehicle I have and cannot afford for something to happen to it. I have been reading several forums about others that this is happening to and can't help but feel there has to be something more to the situation. I would feel horrible if something ever happened to my family or anyone else because of my faulty vehicle!! this needs to be figured out and taken care of.

- Dayton, MN, USA

Dec 132013

Impala

I was driving at highway speed (60 mph) on a two lane road. Temperature was below freezing, no ice or snow. Suddenly a bell sounded, the "service traction control" blinked on the display, the traction light came on, and then the vehicle suddenly reduced power, and "engine power reduced" displayed alternately with the "service traction control" warning. I was scared, but had about 8 miles to drive to my home town. I pulled to the shoulder at about 40 mph, turned on my flashers, and continued on to my home. If this had happened with ice on the road, as there had been that morning on my way to work, a crash would no doubt have occurred as these roads are very slippery in winter.

- Superior, NE, USA

Feb 172009

Impala

While driving at 60 mph the cars service traction control light comes on and so does the ABS brake service light. The car then reduces power to no more then 35-40 mph and that's with the gas pedal floored. It has happened since new. I have changed out the harness, and wheel hub and it still happens, sometimes in very dangerous situations like while driving on a hwy with a truck behind you and the car goes from 60 mph to 40 mph in a heart beat. The dealership said its a common electrical problem with GM cars in 2006-2009. The only part left to change would be the computer modulator, however talking to other GM owners with the same problem it doesn't seem to help.

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Jul 162013

Impala 6-cyl

Stability control light and ABS braking system lights came on and stayed on for about a mile. Had short bursts of reduction in power causing the car to slow down for brief periods of time. This is an intermittent problem and has been happening frequently for the past couple of weeks.the risk of this happening at high speeds in traffic is very concerning.

- Weirton, WV, USA

Jul 132013

Impala 6-cyl

A few months ago, while driving my vehicle the service stabilitrak warning came on and engine power was reduced causing a safety hazard on a busy road. Following instructions from GM, my mechanic cleaned connections on the pedal relay. The same problem occurred this past Saturday while driving on the highway, nearly causing a collision. I have been told the repairs to fix this issue will run close to $1,000. I have also read many forums on the internet indicating this is a consistent problem with Impala's. it is my belief that this should be addressed with a safety recall.

- Livonia, MI, USA

May 032013

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the accelerator pedal would have to be replaced. After the repair was performed, the traction control and power reduction warning lights illuminated as the failure continued. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 222013

Impala

On June 22, 2012 as I was driving approximately 40 mph, the reduced engine power and traction control message popped up on the dash. I know my car slowed down a lot and then picked up speed again. I notice that each time I pressed on the petal to stop at a light or stop sign the car would jerk forward. I did not think too much of it until my husband then drove it and said the same thing happened to him and the car was driving really rough. I did some research and see that lots of Chevy owners have been experiencing the same problem. Please enforce a recall as this is not safe especially when you are driving on a freeway.

- Duncanville, TX, USA

Jun 112012

Impala

I currently drive a 2008 Chevy Impala, I've only had the car 1 1/2 and not even a year after I purchased it, I start experiencing the (tcs) traction control sensor - which alternatively reduce the speed of the engine; it happens sporadically, ... I took it to auto zone to have a diagnostic performed on the car, and they reader said it was due to a cylinder 5 misfire.... my car is a 6 cylinder, it is dangerous when driving on the highway as when the (tcs) does come on' the reduce engine speed is well under the highway speed limit. Other concerns that arise is that sense this sensor has been own, it' has accumulated other sensors' (ABS) (!) and the throttle pedal sensor. I have reached out to the GM to see if there was any recall on this, and was advise that nothing has been done. I think this is a huge danger, as this is a commonly used car in the U.S & if there has been several complaints thus far over the same issue, why hasn't anything been done to resolve the issue" what if you've worked hard to drive the vehicle you want;& have to pay out of cost; other than basic maintenance"

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 142013

Impala

I have read many other complaints similar to mine. I was driving yesterday and the "service stabilitrak, service traction control" warnings came on. After a few minutes "engine power reduced" warning came on and the car would not run over 50 mph. This is on a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. I was driving 45 mph and when the lights come on, they just as quickly turn off and on again. The car shook and the throttle was a bit off. It was very scary to drive, especially since this happened at night and it is not the first incident.as of today, this is the 5th time I have dealt with "reduced engine power"/"service stabilitrak". such a safety issue. Instead of being scared of getting into an accident, I'm fearful I will be the one causing the pile up.

- Katy, TX, USA

Mar 162013

Impala 6-cyl

When my Impala first started to display the engine power reduce message. I was told that it was the accelerator pedal position sensor. So I change the gas pedal the engine light when off for about two weeks. Then my car cut off one day as I was on my way to work. When I went to get it check they told me it might be the alternator and then it was the throttle body. Then there was nothing wrong with it but my car is now park and refuse to stay running. It will start only to cut off a mile or so into driving.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Apr 022013

Impala

The car is always giving me a hard time and it almost caused an incident from shutting down on service stabilitrak, engine power is reduced, service traction control for no reason. Take it to the dealer and they say its just a malfunction and want to charge money not even sure what it is. They don't even know say it the computer and it happens to a lot of people and don't know what to do about it. This is unsafe almost got rear end.

- Hewitt, TX, USA