2008 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Aug 132013

Impala 6-cyl

Yesterday on my way home from work.. I exit off of 55 onto 1st avenue. Got to odgen avenue and suddenly the car went into a slow motion. Message appeared reduce engine and transaction control. I was not able to go pass 20 miles. I pulled over at a walgreens. Shut off the car and started again. Same message. I finally made it home ( 1-1/2 ), usually 20-25 minutes. I looked on line last night and saw numerous calls and complaints regarding the same issue. I called GMC this morning and of course no recalls for this problem.. this is a serious issue and I or someone else could have been hurt..

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 102013

I had just started my 2008 Chevrolet Impala ltz and was leaving when the service stabilitrak warning came on and engine power was reduced warning came on. The vehicle lost power and began to jerk as it shifted gears. Unfortunately, it occurred at a time when the local Chevrolet dealer's service department was closed and on the weekend. I'm hoping to get this problem resolved on Monday as this is my only mode of transportation and I'm 8 weeks from graduating from college!! it would suck if I have spend all this time and money in getting my education only to fail due to a vehicle breakdown that seems to be an issue with this very make and model. This could be a very dangerous situation for anyone having this problem with their Impala. It shouldn't take a loss of life or injury, fire or crash to make the manufacturer place a recall on the faulty part that is causing this.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Aug 012013

This is the third time I had to fix this passlock thing on my Impala and im getting so sick and tired of

- Corona, CA, USA

Jul 312013

I was just driving and the check engine light popped on. In the message box it said engine power reduced, and the traction control light also came on. I have no idea what's going on. I couldn't pick up speed, when I tried to it would jerk. I've never had any problems out of my car until now.

- Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Jul 132013

Impala 6-cyl

A few months ago, while driving my vehicle the service stabilitrak warning came on and engine power was reduced causing a safety hazard on a busy road. Following instructions from GM, my mechanic cleaned connections on the pedal relay. The same problem occurred this past Saturday while driving on the highway, nearly causing a collision. I have been told the repairs to fix this issue will run close to $1,000. I have also read many forums on the internet indicating this is a consistent problem with Impala's. it is my belief that this should be addressed with a safety recall.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jun 222013

On June 22, 2012 as I was driving approximately 40 mph, the reduced engine power and traction control message popped up on the dash. I know my car slowed down a lot and then picked up speed again. I notice that each time I pressed on the petal to stop at a light or stop sign the car would jerk forward. I did not think too much of it until my husband then drove it and said the same thing happened to him and the car was driving really rough. I did some research and see that lots of Chevy owners have been experiencing the same problem. Please enforce a recall as this is not safe especially when you are driving on a freeway.

- Duncanville, TX, USA

Jun 182013

Impala 6-cyl

As I was driving, all of a sudden the service traction control light came on and then engine power reduced light came on. This caused my car to slow down without warning which could have been a dangerous situation had I been on a busy highway which fortunately I wasn't. I read up on this and noticed that this is happening quite often and this should really be remedied before an unfortunate death or injury occurs from this.

- Coleman, GA, USA

May 102013

I have a 2008 Chevy Impala. Starting last month (May 2013) the service traction light and reduce engine power lights started coming on. I took it back to the place where I purchased the vehicle and it came back that it was the accelerator pedal. It was replaced and 5 days later the lights were back on again. I called the shop and they told me to bring it back to them on Monday because they were closed Saturday and Sunday. I took the car back to the shop and the lights weren't on. They told me that they could not get a reading on the car and to come pick it up. I drove off the lot and 3 days later the lights were back on. This has happened every week since they replaced the accelerator pedal. When I took it in initially they said it was either the accelerator pedal or the throttle. On Friday June 14th the car stopped the service traction system light, reduced engine power light and starting disabled service/check throttle light came on and the car stopped. It was still running but when I pressed the accelerator pedal it would not move. I cut it off and sat for about 10 minutes. I started it and drove straight to the lot it was Friday at 4:45 pm they closed at 5:00 the guy said bring it back Monday (wow really). I parked the car again all weekend didn't start it until Monday. The lights were off when I got in it on Monday as soon as I backed out of my drive way the lights popped back on and it would only go 40 mph. Luckily the place is about 3 miles from my house when I got there they weren't open yet so I sat there. When they finally opened I drove in and told the guy who I was. The drove the car around several times and could not get the lights to come back on. It is now Tuesday and I still don't have my car back. They say that they took it to the dealership to have them look at it. I'm not sure what to do at this point I need my car to get back and forth to work.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 172013

I was making a left hand turn. I slowed to turn. A car was coming but far away. The "reduced engine power" light came on and I had minimal power to complete the turn and was nearly struck in the side. I had the decreased power, only after completing my turn did I stop and notice the light had come on. My car has significantly decreased power and acceleration. It is intermittent. I had a very unsafe drive back home. I wish I would have had it towed because it was intermittent decrease of power.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

May 312013

Impala 6-cyl

Out of nowhere my door lock actuators for all three passenger doors are not working neither is my trunk opening and to make it worse im sitting in my job parking lot with the A/C on waiting for my break to be over and all of a sudden my car starts blowing air from the outside inside the car and I looked at my dash and my temp level was rising to in between 1/2 and 3/4 got out check coolant was fine and everything else checked fine but now everytime I sit in my car with the engine running and my A/C on it only stays on for about 20 mins, then the A/C cut off, starts blowing hot air, and the A/C nor the recirculation will engage it blinks. And to make it worse I smell fuel on my oil dipstick and my car is drinking fuel like water someone please help me.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 282013

On 4/28/13, while turning into church parking lot, traction control and check engine lights came on. Computer check the next day showed code 2127. The computer was cleared and this problem code did not reappear. On 5/28/13, while driving on a flat country road at about 50 mph, traction control and check engine lights again came on. I had to drive approx. 20 miles to get back to my mechanic. Part of the computer response during the this time was to reduce engine power. This was noticeable on any minor hill. Again, my mechanic checked the computer diagnostic and said code 2127. I took my car to my dealer 5/29/13 and they replaced the accelerator pedal assembly.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 172013

Impala 6-cyl

On Friday 5/17/2013 I was driving home from work as I usually do and I made a stop at a red light. When the light turned green and I stepped on the gas to drive, I felt the car jerk and then the engine light came on and a message popped up and said engine power reduced. The car struggled to accelerate often feeling like it was going to cut off. I was able to make it to a parking lot where I felt safe in see the car broke down and I turned the car off an sat there for about 10 min and restarted the car. I was able to make it home by taking the highway since that is the only way I can make it home. When I got home the light turned off and I drove the car again and it appears to be driving normal. Then again today 5/19/2013, the same thing happened but this time the engine light did not shut off. I have no choice but to take the highway home and the car was very dangerous to drive because it does not accelerate the way it should. His poses as a danger to my life as well as others. After further research online I discovers that many people with Chevy Impala have reported and complained out the same issue that it can possibly be a sensor in the gas pedal which apparently isn't covered under the warranty and its costly consumers hundreds of dollars to correct. This vehicle definitely needs to be recalled as it is a safety threat.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Apr 012009

I was driving my sales route and over a few days time, my car would have the engine picture lit and a message of reduced power would appear and I could not drive any faster than 50 and my foot was to the floorboard. This was very scary in that if you are on the highway the cars behind you do not know you are having a problem before you are able to exit off. Even starting from a stop light is dangerous because you can't get your speed up very fast. There were a few times where the car lost total power and I had to coast over to the side of the road. After letting the car sit for a few minutes, it started again but still had the engine icon lit and he same message appeared. I did have a part replaced at my expense of $200+ and for a very short time it did fix the problem but then very shortly it started doing it again. I was laid off my job so was not doing the route sales any longer and was using the car just for personal running so didn't pay to much attention to getting it looked at and my wife had her car to use for trips. It recently has been to where the light and message will not go off and it is constantly in the reduced power made. This is a very dangerous situation and due to the number of complaints this must be taken care of. I did take it to the Chevy dealership this week to see if I had missed a recall. The mechanic was well aware of the problem and said there was a recall for trucks not cars and he did not understand that. Nor do we. Now if you know this is a potential and is very common on these cars as we are told, then it needs fixed now. Fixing this, since you know the severity and possible problems would sure be better than a lawsuit I would think. I await your timely response. I will kick this up higher but wanted to start here. Compensation is due on this matter. I have my receipts.

- Mustang, OK, USA

Aug 252008

My wife and I purchased the Chevy Impala to be our first vehicle together after getting married. Bought this vehicle brand new only 102 miles on it before we drove it off the lot. Little did we know it was going to be 4 years of nightmares and headaches. At the time read many review about the Impala, nothing too major was found. After the first week, the power steering seemed to be failing, especially during rain. Took it back to the dealer and they could not replicate the incident. They told us they could not find anything wrong and to bring it back if the problem continued. It didn't take long and we were back at the dealer with the same problem. Dealer said they checked the belts and the fluid all working properly. After a few other times of the power steering failing took the vehicle to another dealer and they too could not find anything wrong with the ps. So, after several trips back to dealer we decided to just deal with it. Which brings me to my next complaint about the 2008 Impala, at just over 10,000 noted abnormal wear on tires, and wires peeking through on the inside. Took it in to dealer and they accused us of abusive driving behavior and neglect, which was a new on to me. Anyway, they refused to replace the tires sitting the warranty only covers defects and normal driving conditions. So, by this time we are starting to regret the purchase of this vehicle. We had to replace all 4 tires @ $98 each. About year later at 28,000 miles began to have this problem once again. After many hours of debates and phone calls they agree to "check out our problem" with no cost to us. Low and behold wouldn't you know it, they found nothing wrong with the vehicle and advised us to purchase better brand tires. The last time I looked Michelin was a top brand tire. On top of everything else, main seal in motor began to leak. This was the last straw!

- Jackson, MS, USA

Mar 012013

Impala 6-cyl

While driving, fast or slow, my car will slow down abruptly and a "engine power is reduced" warning comes up on the lcd dash. This has also happened while I've been standing idle at traffic lights. I am afraid that one day my car will stop completely while I'm on the highway, resulting in a crash of some sort.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Mar 162013

Impala 6-cyl

When my Impala first started to display the engine power reduce message. I was told that it was the accelerator pedal position sensor. So I change the gas pedal the engine light when off for about two weeks. Then my car cut off one day as I was on my way to work. When I went to get it check they told me it might be the alternator and then it was the throttle body. Then there was nothing wrong with it but my car is now park and refuse to stay running. It will start only to cut off a mile or so into driving.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Apr 042012

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the driver noticed a warning that stated engine power reduced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. After inspection, they advised her that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 98,000. The current mileage was approximately 105,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hewitt, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Impala 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala ss. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, he noticed a warning that stated engine power reduced. Immediately after, the vehicle decelerated. The vehicle was later taken to dealer. After inspection, they advised him that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000. The current mileage was approximately 75,500.

- Hewitt, TX, USA

Mar 202013

Impala 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway at approximately 60 mph and my check engine and traction control light came on. Additionally, the dash alternately flashed between "service traction control" and "reduced engine power." My car slowed down, but never cut off. My acceleration wasn't what it normally is. I was able to make it to my destination, but was not a fun experience.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Dec 202012

Impala 8-cyl

When taking off from a start the transmission doesn't engage causing the engine to rev, then it slams into gear eventually. Have also noticed a decrease in power somewhat. Have had it in the dealer for service 3 times and of course they say they cant find anything wrong with it. Kinda crappy since the warranty just went out on the drive train about a month ago. Problem only seems to be getting worse. I have read on forums of this issue on numerous vehicles that use the 4T65-hd transmission and that GM refuses to acknowledge that there is a flaw in these transmissions.

- Irving, TX, USA