2008 Chevrolet Impala suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Impala:

2008 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Nov 182011

Impala 6-cyl

Premature tire wear attributed to faulty rods in the rear suspension linkage suspension defect.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 172011

Impala 6-cyl

New tires installed January 2011 with proper rotation every 6000-7500 miles. Inside tread of rear tires are prematurely wearing. I drive mostly highway miles to and from work, about 150 miles a day round trip. I have to have new tires installed again today as inside tread is wearing and belts are starting to show. I have seen many consumer reports and claims regarding the rear spindles as being bad. I was not able to locate any recalls on this matter but kept locating the class action lawsuit for the rear spindles of the Impala I cannot afford to have to put new tires on the car every year let alone 2 or more times a year. After looking into the repair cost of replacing the rear spindles is pretty expensive, especially for the consumer to take on when it appears GM should recall for the cars for the fix as they did for the police departments.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Oct 012011

Impala

When the tires needed replacing on the car, I spent $1100 on a set of premium tires, after 10,000 miles I noticed a roaring sound from the tires. I took the car to the tire dealer. He said the problem was with the alignment of the vehicle, causing the tires to wear uneven, I had the tires rotated every 5,000 miles, I took the car straight to my Chevy. Dealer. I was told the struts would have to be ground off and the car realigned and the cost would be mine. I worry about this kind of repair when you alter the part by mis-shaping the part. The cost to me was $197 after hearing about other owners with the problem. I worry about taking road trips with my vehicle. I think that GM should be held liable and the proper fix done to the vehicles for the safety of the car owners. I like the car fine, except for the worry of our safety while on the road.

- College Grove, TN, USA

Oct 192011

Impala

I had been complaining to my husband that the car's rearend has poor stability and it's hard to maintain it during rain and snow and ice. When we went to have it inspected this week, we were informed that it could not pass as the rear tires were bald on the inside. As it turns out, there have been repeated problems with this car, and a recall was done only on the police models" are you kidding me? what about the average person driving this car???" we are not as important. Obviously there is a problem and now I have to get new tires (that only have about 10,000 miles on them) at my freaking expense and I will need to have the suspension fixed. Someone needs to get a general recall done for this model car....we are just as important as the cops....wth.

- Newark, NY, USA

Jul 032010

Impala 6-cyl

Vehicle had been pulling to the right. It also needed oil change also so took it to local Chevrolet dealer, alexandria motors. The service tech informed me I needed to replace tires since they were worn to the tread. They would not cover it under warranty so I took it to an independent repair shop and was informed this was a frequent (normal?) occurrence on these vehicles due to factory defects. I paid the $581.12 for tires and repair due to the faulty alignment from factory. I was not aware of extensive involvement until I did a google search recently. I did keep the receipts, etc and have had no subsequent problems with the vehicle now having over 40,000 miles on it.

- Alexandria, MN, USA

Jun 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Excessive rear tire wear, rear spindle, known problem that GM should recall. GM repaired same known problem with police vehicles, same repair needs done to all vehicles. Rear tires are wearing out very aggressively on the outside edges of rear tires.

- Napoleon, OH, USA

May 032010

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while having routine maintenance performed by an independent mechanic, the mechanic stated that both rear tires exhibited excessive wear. The mechanic replaced both rear tires and performed an alignment. Approximately 7,000 miles after the replacement of the tires, the contact noticed excessive wear on both rear tires again. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic, where both rear tires were replaced and aligned. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that there was a recall addressing the failure, but the recall only included police issued vehicles. The approximate failure mileage was 18,000. Updated 01/11/12

- Brightwaters, NY, USA

Nov 012008

Impala 6-cyl

Had several tires wear out prematurely on the Impala in the first year and have had to pay for constant alignments ever since. Isn't there a law suit regarding this issue?

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Jun 092010

Impala

Rear tires were worn out due to known defect in rear linkage had to pay $69.95 for a wheel alignment and $180.72 for two new tires. Alignment was probably not necessary since original problem was in the rear linkage, I feel I should be reimbursed for tires and alignment.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Jul 112011

Impala 6-cyl

My 2008 Chevrolet Impala required alignment of all 4 wheels after 35000 miles of use which is not unusual. However, the rear wheels required a special process wherein bolts had to be punched out and shimming was required to allow proper alignment. This effort doubled my cost from $89 to $178. The problem is obviously a manufacturing defect. The General Motors problems and complaints department has failed to respond to my complaint which was submitted July 11th, 2011.

- Fort Walton Beach , FL, USA

Aug 012011

Impala

2008 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer states problem with vehicle tire wear the consumer stated he almost had an accident when the vehicle spun out of control due to a manufactures defect causing tire wear. The consumer requested compensation for three sets of tires that had to be put on the vehicle by January 2010. The service manager at the dealer stated GM was aware of the problem, and refused to reimburse the consumer. The consumer has since traded the vehicle.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Dec 172008

Impala 6-cyl

I have had numerous issues with unusual wear and/or blowouts on the tires of my 2008 Chevy Impala. I first started having issue with tires in Dec 2008 and still continue til this day. When I questioned if there was a possibility it was the vehicle and not the tires, I was told by the dealership in 2010, it was faulty 'factory installed' tires. I have replaced more than once all the tires on my vehicle. Now I find out that GM has recalled police issue 2008 Impala but not those for the everyday consumer.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Nov 242009

Impala

There was no incident. The rear tires wear out prematurely due to GM's aknowledged rear spindle rod defect. Excessive wear on the tires creates a safety hazard within a few thousand miles. GM dealer (graff Chevrolet okemos Michigan) refused to repair even at my expense.

- Haslett, MI, USA

Apr 292009

Impala

2008 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer states severe problem with tires the consumer stated he has spent more than $588.54 on wheel alignment checks and new tires, not knowing about the spindle rod problem. The consumer encountered severe and dangerous uneven tire wear. The consumer finally replaced all the tires.

- Ridge, NY, USA

Jun 292011

Impala

Could not keep alignment correct. Three sets of tires were ruined by 60,000 M. consequences were noise of tires, then alignment costs, and replacement of expensive tires.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Nov 152010

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 30 mph in snowy weather, the vehicle swerved from uncontrollably from side to side. The contact gained control of the vehicle by driving at a slower speed. The failure also recurred when driving during rainy weather. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostics where the mechanic stated that the spindle rod was defective and caused the misalignment of the tires. The mechanic advised that the spindle rod would wear out unevenly and rapidly. The mechanic installed camber bolts to the rear passenger side wheel yet the failure persisted. The vehicle was not further repaired.the approximate failure mileage was 30,0000. Updated 08/22/11 updated 3/06/2012

- Coldwater, MI, USA

Jun 302011

Impala 6-cyl

2008 Chevy Impala (owned 8/10): 80K Goodyear tires wore with less than 10K miles replaced by certified tire center 6/11 with uniroyal tp touring 70K, left hub worn with less than 1 year ownership replaced by dealer, right hub play refusal of replacement by dealership (also 6/11). Alignments off/ will not stay--reports available from dealer and certified tire replacement shop. Will not go in full alignment, may need chamber kit, spindle out on left front (also 6/11). Rear passenger door lock (car seat side), replaced by dealer 11/10, at this time inability to maintain tire pressure and mislocation of sensors/pressure indicators was corrected as well as rotation per repeated complaint (11/10)---note: Wear should have been reported/ documenter per my complaint to dealer. Front passenger door lock going bad also, reported to dealer 7/11. Tires continuing to wear with alignment suspension issues pending, dealership refusing responsibility or denying issue exists.

- Petersburg, VA, USA

Mar 072011

Impala

Vehicle won't hold alignment and when it does it's still wearing out the rear tires at a rate 1/32 per 1,000 miles, it wore out the rear tires in 6,000 miles just lucky that I looked at them when I did. The vehicle has 45,000 miles on it and this is the second set of tires in 6,000 miles.

- Logan, OH, USA

Jan 062011

Impala

Driving the Impala ss on winter roads in Indiana has become a challenge with this car. Any ice or snow on the road will only allow you to drive 45 mph at the max and then the rear of the car starts to swerve back and forth as if the tires are fighting one and another for control. Contacted the local Chevy dealer and was told by the service department that it is a tire problem with the good year Eagle rs-a P235/50 R 18 and they have had a lot of complaints on no traction with these tires. Service rep stated the tires needed to be taken off and new tires put on. Not covered by the warranty. Called good year customer service told them the problem and they schedule an appointment for me. Took it to the authorized good year dealer and they called back and said the tires have half their tread left and no problems with the tires. He stated that the tire is to wide for driving in the winter time and basically floats on the ice and snow and would suggest only diving the car in the summer months. So here is the dilemma, the manufacture knows that they have had a lot of complaints with the tires (which are the original tires that are sold with the car. The tire manufacture states the tire is to wide for driving on snow or ice and I need to park it into summer gets here and if so if I drive the car in the winter, I have been warned that it is too dangerous to drive.

- Plymouth, IN, USA

Feb 072011

Impala 6-cyl

2008 Chevrolet Impala is very unstable on snow or ice covered roads. The rear end tends to swerve back and forth when it encounters even the slightest amount of ice or snow. I have over thirty years driving in Michigan winters and I have never had a car so unstable in these conditions. I have a 2002 Chevy Venture and a 97 Bonneville that I drove in the same conditions (same road and time for comparison) and they both felt solid even at higher speeds. I have noticed similar complaints in internet forums. I had the tires inspected by a tire dealer and he said that the tires are original equipment and that they had adequate tread. This should be investigated.

- Watervliet, MI, USA