2005 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu:

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 15 of 17)

Oct 222009

Malibu

On October 22, 2009, while driving on the highway, steering column in car began making popping noise when turning in either direction. (vehicle mileage at time of this incident just over 52,000) some loss of steering control experienced. No warning light or notification from vehicle. Vehicle was immediately taken to a mechanic. Steering column replaced for a cost over $650. This is the second steering column replacement on this vehicle, which is a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu.the first replacement was done at 25,145 miles on February 13, 2008 was done within the warranty period by dealership.

- Warwick, NY, USA

Mar 012009

Malibu

2005 Chevy Malibu, there is a popping noise when you turn the steering wheel. This occurs all the time you drive the car. The car is not under warranty and GM will not recall the problem.

- Damascus, MD, USA

May 202009

Malibu

Clicking/popping noise in the steering column when turning the wheel. Just started happening one day and never stopped. Happens constantly. Does not seem to affect steering yet. When took it in for repairs was told that the column need lubrication. Spent $100 to have it lubed only to have the problem start again approximately a month later.

- Farmington, NY, USA

Aug 142007

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 10 mph and making a left turn, he heard a loud clicking noise under the accelerator and brake pedal. The dealer repaired the steering shaft; however, the failure resurfaced and the technicians installed a modified part. The vehicle identification number was unavailable. The failure mileage was 20,000. The current mileage was 31,800.

- East Providence, RI, USA

Aug 152009

Malibu

On 8/29/09 I asked my mechanic to listen to the clunking sound made when the steering wheel was turned left and right. He checked and said it was the rack and pinion. I have had this problem before and had 2 steering columns replaced and the steering shaft. Now it's the rack and pinion. The above incidents were covered under warranty but not now. I checked for recalls but there are none. I have seen many complaints about the same thing on car stats. Can't something be done by Chevy before someone gets killed.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA

Mar 242009

Malibu

The power steering on my 2005 Chevrolet Malibu goes out intermittently driving on the free way, making a right turn, or when starting the car. On a right turn the car wants to keep going right instead of straightening out. Sitting at a red light, the steering wheel chatters and moves back and forth on its own, there is a loud clunking sound when making turns.this car is dangerous to drive. Dealer says there iis no recall. This is an obvious design defect and GM should be made to recall the vehicles and fix the problem. This problem started about 8 months ago. Cannot give an exact date.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Mar 112009

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that intermittently the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrumental panel and a loud noise is present when turning the steering wheel. If the power steering failed while driving, a vehicle crash could occur. The vehicle has not been inspected to determine the cause of the failure. The failure mileage was 58000. The current mileage was 77000. Updated 10/20/09 the consumer stated the power steering went out intermittently. The power steering would go out about half way into a turn. The steering would make noises and turn back and forth by itself. The steering column was replaced. Updated 10/23/09

- Chual Vista, CA, USA

Sep 052009

Malibu

I have experienced some pulling from my steering wheel while driving on the highway, more than once. I have spoken with GM mechanics ( or representatives) who have told me nothing was wrong. Who else should I speak with to get to the bottom of the problem? my car only has 46,700 miles on it, which makes this a little scary.

- Hartford, CT, USA

Sep 032009

Malibu

My steering went out while on my way home from work on a busy highway luckily there was no accident but I did do research and this is a common thing for not just 2005 Chevy Malibu and alot of people have been complaining about this with nothing to be done about it but most Malibu I think if something not done it will cause a serious accident one day.. my car only has 42852 miles on it I haven't even owned it 2yrs yet and bought it with about 32000 miles or so on it there is no reason this should have happened and think something should be done about the Chevy Malibu now.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Aug 272009

Malibu

Bought the 2005 Malibu used in August 2007. I have replaced the both front directional bulbs at least 10 times since buying the car. The lights work intermittently or not at all. The right bulb was out for about 3 months then the left bulb went out. I went to replace the bulbs again yesterday. I jimmied the socket they go into and now they both appear to be working. However, I noticed the amber plastic covering on the left bulb was burned, there was a large burn hole in it, and the melted plastic was dripping into the bottom of the covering. I am also noticing, and have been noticing, a loud thumping sound when I hit the gas as if something has to roll into place. Lately it also seems as though the anti-lock brakes very, very slightly kick in when I am braking and go over a bump. After reading the other comments I am going to my mechanic to have him look at the issues as safety is a large concern.

- Newton, MA, USA

Jul 012007

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at various speeds and turning the steering wheel to the left and right the vehicle made a very loud thumping noise. The vehicle has been diagnosed by the dealer on numerous occasions. The mechanic replaced the steering rack and pinion and corrected the failure for 2 years; however, it recurred. The second time the steering column was replaced and failed after 8 months. The steering shaft was also replaced on two occasions. The contact is aware of the safety risk involved due to frequent failures. The failure mileage was 12,000 and the current mileage was 27,927. Updated 09/11/09 updated 09/15/09.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 172009

Malibu

I need your help. I bought a 2005 Malibu from a local car dealer. The car had low miles and I thought it would be a safe and reliable car. So safe, that I allowed my teenage son to drive my car. While he was making a left hand turn from a 4-way stop, he heard a pop and then had no steering without any way to control the car he ended up in a field. I thank god he was not going fast, that there was no other cars or people involved, and he was not hurt. I had the car towed to my mechanic who is a certified master technician, who worked for GM as a line tech for 25 yrs. He informs me that this should have never happened in a car that is only 4 yrs old, and felt it was defective. He said the failure occurred inside the steering rack causing the pinion to disengage resulting in loss of control. I then had the car towed to a GM dealer who"S mechanic said the same thing but because I did not buy the car from them, they would not help me?.my next step was to contact GM?.they took a week to investigate?and decided that because I bought the car from a private car dealer, it had 86K miles on it and it was past the factory warranty they felt no need to do any thing about this. Not only was the steering rack and pinion damaged, the power steering unit under the dash and the air bag coils were damaged as well. The cost to repair this is over $2000. It?S not just the cost to repair the car that upsets me; it?S the fact that GM has no concern for safety. I have found long list for consumer complaints about GM?S steering failures. ?unbelievable" and this is not the only site that has complaints. I know there was a recall to address the steering defect in the Malibu. But they obviously decided it was of no big concern to fix the problem.

- Ottawa, IL, USA

Jul 012009

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering locks whenever he starts his vehicle and begins driving. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The contact stated that he cannot afford to replace the steering column at this time. The failure mileage was 44,000.

- Taylor, TX, USA

Nov 142006

Malibu

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 30 mph, the contact heard a knocking sound coming from the steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they determined that the power steering gear assembly failed. The vehicle was repaired at the cost of $1,000. Three years later, while driving at an unknown speed, the contact heard a knocking sound coming from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop and the mechanic determined that the rack and pinion was failing. The repair would cost $500. The vehicle has not been repaired. The contact called the manufacturer and was informed that a complaint was filed and that he would receive a follow up call on the next business day. The failure mileage was 35,748 and current mileage was 103,000.

- Hemingway , SC, USA

Apr 302009

Malibu

I purchased a 2005 Chevy Malibu in March of 09 it's now May 09 and I will be replacing my intermediate steering shaft the car check that was performed after I bought the vehicle showed that is was replaced 30K miles ago. The car pops and cracks whenever I slow down or turn afraid it will break before it is fixed.

- Celina, OH, USA

Apr 272008

Malibu

Power steering goes out while driving at low and highway speeds. Steering wheel becomes stiff and hard to turn. Manufacturer replaced electric steering columns on vehicles but mine was ineligible because of mileage accumulated.

- Windsor Mill, MD, USA

Apr 232009

Power steering failure.

- Moscow Mills, MO, USA

Feb 272009

Malibu

My wife almost had an accident when the power steering failed. She pulled out into an intersection and the power steering failed and then the car stalled in the intersection the car to a certified repair shop. He said there was a bulletin out by General Motors dated November 8, 2007 that 2004-2005 Malibu's and 2005 Pontiac G 6's are having problems with the power steering. General Motors knew that you might have a lack of power steering, vibration, or a rattle or clunk noise from the left lower instrument panel. GM should have recalled these cars to fix their problem. I was told that this problem was a safety issue and that General Motors should be responsible. I took the car to a GM dealer and he agreed that GM should fix the car. I filed a complaint with GM and finally after calling for 2 weeks, they said they would do nothing. I am very upset with GM and just wonder how many people have wrecked Malibu's because of the failure of power steering. If you have one of these cars, I suggest you sell it or take it to the dealer for repair before you lose your power steering when pulling out into an intersection and the car dies in front of another vehicle. I will never buy another GM product and advise the same for anyone else.

- Piedmont, SC, USA

Sep 122006

Malibu 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu. On several occasions, the power steering failed. While driving 25 mph, the contact lost control of the steering and it became very stiff. He was able to safely maneuver the vehicle to his destination. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and they determined that the steering column failed. The vehicle was repaired for free. Four months later, while driving 20 mph, the steering failed again. The dealer made the repairs for free once again. The steering column continued to fail over the next three years on five occasions. The vehicle was recently repaired in January of 2009 for the steering shaft. The steering shaft was repaired at the cost of $100. The contact had to pay a deductible for this repair because the steering column was not included in the warranty. The contact called the manufacturer and was informed that they were going to offer him a seven years or 70,000 mile warranty for the steering column. The failure mileage was 14,838 and current mileage was 31,000. Updated 3/16/09 updated 03/20/09.

- Ordell, NJ, USA

Aug 151995

Malibu

As of this date, Feb. 17, 2009, the part in question has not failed, causing any crashes or injuries. Shortly after I purchased the vehicle, I noticed a thumping whenever the steering wheel was turned sharply to the right or to the left. While under manufacturer's warranty, I had it checked out at least 3 times, and each time the dealership service department assured me there was no recall on the part, the boot of joint somehow connected to the steering. Since that time, I have had my personal mechanic check out the problem and he has diligently checked for a recall or a corrective measure from Chevrolet, but there has been none. The mechanic has greased this joint several times, and it helps the thumping, but eventually it returns over time. I have read where others have experienced their steering totally going out because of this issue. I am afraid for my family's safety due to this problem that Chevrolet has constantly refused to address. Component #2: I was constantly having to replace the front turn signals as the bulbs were constantly burning out. Component #3 the fan which controls the inside air flow has constantly rattled unless the fan is turned on the highest setting. The dealership even replaced that fan, telling me a broken part had fallen down into it. I returned the car to the dealership at least 3 times, but they finally said they could not find anything else. It still rattles horribly.

- Etowah, TN, USA