2006 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Malibu:

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 8 of 28)

Jul 212014

Malibu

After finding out that there are recalls for my car per dot.gov, I scheduled an appointment for repairs with vandergriff Chevrolet in arlington for 7-21-14. I requested that they repair the parts under recall and issue a refund for the amount I paid previously for repair to power steering on my vehicle. I was told that someone would be in touch with me. When I did not get contacted, I returned to the service department to speak with a technician in regard to my service request. Once again, as previously, I was told that there are no recalls on my car. When I directed the technician to the information released by the dept. Of transportation, he stated that GM sent out additional recall letters to recall the original recall notices because they were issued in error, and that there are none in effect for my vehicle. No repairs were done.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 232014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the power steering failed intermittently and the power steering sensor illuminated. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering). The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the electronic power assist system and the steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,688.

- Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Jul 072012

Malibu

TL- the contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated while traveling to approach a stop or when a turn was made the steering wheel was extremely hard to turn. The electric power steering failed intermittently. The contact had to apply force to turn the wheel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who replaced the steering column and the ignition switch. The failure recurred and the contact was not able to turn the key to start the ignition along with the vehicle stalling intermittently. The anti-theft sensor illuminated, service engine sensor and a lock symbol on the radio continued to illuminate. The radio was not working. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V153000 (steering). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000. Dyd

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 072011

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 45 mph, the contact experienced difficulty maneuvering the steering wheel. The instrument panel indicators illuminated and the contact heard a chime sounding throughout the cabin of the vehicle. When the contact's foot was removed from the accelerator pedal, the steering returned to normal. The failure occurred on two separate occasions. The dealer recalibrated the vehicle, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jul 222013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, a chime sounded throughout the vehicle and the power steering seized without warning. The vehicle was able to restart and resumed to normal. The failure occurred on three separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the power steering column needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 69,100. Updated 9/3/14

- South Pasedna, FL, USA

Jul 012010

Malibu

Beginning in 2010 I had to replace the brakes on my car multiple times. To date I have replaced brake pads, drums, and lines 5 different times. My brakes seem to wear easily and frequently screech. Beginning in 2013 after filling my car with gas my "low fuel" indicator dings and my fuel gauge shows empty. This happens every time I fill my car with gas. I have received a recall notice regarding power steering. On two separate occasions I have experienced my power steering going out and I am forced to pull over and turn off my car and turn it back on for the car to work properly. I have contacted GM regarding the recall notice and I have been advised that no parts are available and they will not provide me with a rental vehicle and expect me to continue to drive the vehicle "until the parts are available". they will not provide me with a timeline and have been unresponsive to my other complaints regarding the vehicle.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jul 142014

Malibu 4-cyl

Decelerating from highway to off ramp. Chime sounded and display column showed power steering. Steering required force and as the vehicle stopped the steering wheel began to subtle shift left and right with audible sound when reaching left and right. Continued to safe area off the highway, however had to use quite a bit of force to steer the vehicle.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Aug 012013

Malibu

The car stalls when I go from a complete stop into fast-moving traffic. The lug nuts on the wheel covers do not stay securely fastened. I have increasing problems with my power steering function. It would randomly fail and then correct itself initially. Sometimes it would go out when I backed up and then come back when I was in drive. Sometimes it would go out for 5-10 minutes and then come back. Sometimes it would be out for a day or two and then come back. Therefore, I brought it in to the Chevrolet dealership for repair. A few months afterwards, it began to go out again, but just for a moment at a time. This seemed to subside. However, this began happening again from time to time when I would merge onto the freeway. When I accelerate, the power steering goes out completely, the car yanks very hard to the right, and the lights and information display all blink repeatedly. This now happens each time I accelerate to either merge onto the freeway, go into passing gear to get around traffic, climb a hill, or simply quickly speed up on the road. I have brought the car back to the Chevrolet dealership citing this problem, especially since I have just had the problem fixed recently. For all of these, I was told that there is no problem and no recalls for my car make and model. I do not have the option of driving another car or affording a newer one. This is a continually dangerous situation. I am fearful that these defects will cause me and my family harm. When the power steering suddenly went out and the car yanked hard to the right just last night as I went over a raised bridge, I was afraid that I would hit the guard wall and perhaps even go over it. I have had to swerve to avoid being hit from behind because the car stalled as I got into traffic. I do not know if my wheel is loose or if the wheel cover is going to come loose while I drive.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 012014

Malibu 4-cyl

Car has low mileage for its year as it was driven infrequently by elderly lady. Esp fails at least 3 times per trip no matter if it is day or night cold or hot and occurs with no warning (except for the chimes). Iam currently driving this vehicle with this condition on a daily basis. I have gotten used to it, and do not panic when it happens although I would like to drive this vehicle with power steering assist in tact! as far as the recall is concerned GM informed me that this particular 2006 Malibu ls is not eligible for the recall because of where it was built!!!" why does that make a difference? what kind of GM logic is that" it was built by the way in Kansas City, Kansas us.

- Telford, PA, USA

Jul 152013

Malibu

While wife turning into drivrway power steering quit, causing her to wipe out mail box. Touned out to be power steering assist failed.contacted GM about a recall, said there was one for power steering assist, by my VIN # was not included.after weeks of back and forth with GM they decided to pay half the bill my half was 700 dollars(which was had to get seeing im retired gi on fixed income.a couple of months ago they came out with the same recall, a if repairs wewe already made you would get reimbursed I feel im due back that 700 dollars and GM says im not.the work was don at taylor Chevrolet in taylor Michigan, repairs were made on 8/01/13/ invoice # cvc275940

- Romulus, MI, USA

Jul 092014

Malibu

My power steering went out just as I was getting ready to back out of parking space. Had car towed to dealership, no parts will be ready for awhile. The car is paid for, Chevy will not pay for me a rental and I need one. It is not my fault for this problem it is GM. Now they do not want to help. I need a car for seeing my doctors and work. Please help. Thanks

- Gillette, WY, USA

May 162007

Malibu 6-cyl

Turning right into side street loss of power steering. Turned car off then started again. The car was fine. Every year it happens more. The other day I pulled into the side street and the power steering went off and I went onto the side walk. Did not hit any thing. Now it happens about every week only when I turn right.

- Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Jan 022012

Malibu

Power steering often stops working at low speed.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jul 072014

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that the steering wheel seized causing the vehicle difficult to maneuver. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 (steering). The contact stated that the repair was not taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. The dealer indicated that parts were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure and current mileage was 97,000.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Sep 062013

Malibu 4-cyl

There is a clicking or clunking type sound when turning. Not with every turn but it is consistent.

- Loves Park, IL, USA

Aug 072013

Malibu

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 70 mph, the steering wheel seized and the power steering warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the technician stated that the power steering pump and the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic who diagnosed that the steering column needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Auburn, ME, USA

Mar 252014

Malibu 4-cyl

Hears a clicking noise from car then it will loose steering and shut off, no acceleration, steering wheel locks up, no lights. All turns off, has happen about 8 times. Next time, put foot on brake it jumps, all shuts off, it some times take 3 or 4 times for the car to start back up. Chevrolet shop has replaced parts, still can not find out why it shut off. If this has happen to others that has a Malibu, please help, with suggestion on what the Chevy house can do to help me out. Thanks

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 032014

Malibu 6-cyl

Power steering goes out when accelerating. This started approximately 6 months ago and is becoming more and more frequent. Whenever the car reaches 2500 - 3000 RPM's, the power steering stops working.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Mar 312014

Malibu 5-cyl

My vehicle is on a recall with GMC and other things are malfunctioning but GMC are only replacing one issue. Chevrolet says they don't know when the parts are going to be available to fix the steering issue but my car has another issue in which the turn signal has a short in it and it doesn't work properly.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 272013

Malibu 6-cyl

I was driving down I 40 when all lights on the dashboard lit up the bell started chiming and the power steering message came across the screen. It also happened when my teenager was driving he came home and told me he almost had an accident he pulled out of the shopping center and the dash lit up the bell started chiming and he said it took all the strength he had to turn the wheel to get into the correct lane. I took the car to hendricks auto mall in July 2013 but they said that there is no recall on my VIN, so we have been driving it just the way it is praying that we don't have a serious accident.

- Durham, NC, USA