CarComplaints.com Notes: Carrying the not-so-proud traditions of its 2002 predecessor, the 2003 has a handful of instrument panel malfunctions that can leave you guessing your speed, engine temperature or how much gas is left in the tank.

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Oct 012014

Trailblazer

Fuel gauge and speedometer have stopped working.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Sep 202014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving in the left lane on interstate highway 290 (youngman highway) at about 65 M.P.H. when smoke began wafting from the area where the steering column meets the dashboard. I took immediate evasive action, pulled onto and off the shoulder onto the grass, shut the engine off, ran to the barrier fence and watched to see if vehicle was going to burst into flames. After calling aaa, about ten minutes had elapsed without further smoke so I assumed I could drive to the next exit ramp at colvin blvd. (about 1,000 feet away) and off to a wendy's parking lot where I waited for a aaa flatbed truck. My SUV was flatbed towed to my dealership, fuccillo Chevrolet on grand island, where the problem was diagnosed as a faulty ignition switch, code number C0379. Total cost of repair was$222.66. It would be nice to be reimbursed for this expense. Though no visible fire was observed, the smoke was a clear sign of problem that was so hot it caused oxidation of material into visible smoke.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

May 012009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

...the instrument cluster...tach, speedometer, gas gauge, have all malfunctioned...the tach stopped working all together in '09....the speedo has stopped, ...miss read speed which means that I have no idea how fast I'm going..the gas gauge is inaccurate...telling me that I have more fuel than I actually have....there is no one fuse, solenoid, or fix per instrument...I'm told the whole cluster must be replaced...$275 last time I checked...this has be brought up to my local dealership...this is "not" acceptable!!!....there should be individual "fixes' and not a "money making' situation for GM...!!!

- Springfield, OH, USA

Jul 232014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

One day I woke up and got in my car to go to work and before I left I noticed my gauges were messed up. The ABS symbol, the parking break symbol, and the low battery lights all were on and my temperature gauge was at zero and still is. The gas gauge is at zero the battery and oil gauges are all placed at zero. I checked all my fuses found a couple bad ones and replaced them and the problem is still not fixed. The car still drives. But I am fearful of a shut down in the middle of the road with it acting like this.

- Kettering , OH, USA

Dec 202012

Trailblazer

Car is a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer the ignition key is still stuck in the car. There where no warning lights that anything was wrong with the car. Brakes failed after 7 months of having the car, I had to go to an outside company to fix car. Also when hitting brake lights it comes on as hazard lights. Car started to shake when turning on A/C took to dealership I was told to contact someone else that can fix the car. Also the only way for me to start the car and turn the car off is by unhooking the battery due to key being stuck in the ignition I went to dealership to get car fixed or replace and dealership was bankrupt. Please help I really feel that I got a bad car or a recall car.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Jun 072013

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the front and rear drivers side power window failed. Additionally, the contact stated that the parking brake failed to activate when engaged. The contact mentioned that she replaced the rear drivers side tail light and brake light on more than two occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 147,000.

- Rossville, GA, USA

Jun 012014

Trailblazer

While driving down the road, my car shut off and I almost drove off the road because all of the lights shut off and I lost control of my power steering and brakes.

- Arthur, IA, USA

Jun 112012

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated that the ignition failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the warning indicators illuminated and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 08/11/14 the ignition switch failed three times. Updated 08/19/14

- Furnley, NV, USA

Sep 022013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I have a 2003 Trailblazer that has a speedometer that does not work correctly, on the highway the speeds vary and sometimes show that it is going 0 miles for hours other times it will show different speeds such as 35 or 45 while driving at the same speed of traffic which is 70 mph. The oil pressure gauge is stuck beyond the highest lever and at intermittent times the tachometer does not work. There is also an issue with the heating and cooling fan where the fan will not blow at all and you have to shut the car down and restart it to get the fan to blow at all. The ac and heat are also not changing in temperature at all. I have read many complaints about the speedometer and instrument cluster and find it ridiculous that there has not been a recall put forth on this, especially to ensure motorists are traveling at the correct speeds ensuring the safety for all and that GM has not offered any type of recall for the Trailblazer but has on different models with the same problem in the same model years.

- Madison Heights, MI, USA

Jul 212011

Trailblazer 8-cyl

Vehicle stopped at light hit from rear.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

May 192014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Stopped along interstate for gas last night. Started the vehicle after filling up and the instrument panel would not illuminate, the radio was dead, the A/C was blowing hot air on high fan (which I could not turn down or off), the interior lights were out and the brake lights / tail lights failed to illuminate. Restarted the vehicle 3 times with no change. Placed the vehicle in gear to move to a parking spot and everything started working again. Drove remaining 70 miles down the interstate w/O further issue. Drove vehicle to work and home today. Pulled into driveway, put vehicle in park and got out to open garage door. Got back in vehicle, put it in gear and ran into the same problem from last night. This vehicle's electrical system has been wacky from the day I purchased it brand new. A/C or heat goes out intermittently, instruments quit working, battery suddenly drains, windshield wipers come on by themselves (even after the recall work), cruise control disengages for no reason, headlights/taillights fail, etc. Service techs willingly admit there is an issue with the electrical system, but GM will not acknowledge it nor issue a recall. I should have gotten rid of the damn thing along time ago, but my wife loves it because of the room. I hope it doesn't wind up killing her one day.

- Sierra Vista, AZ, USA

May 012014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Instrument panel not working. Tachometer get stuck.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Jan 012007

Trailblazer

First rear A/C stopped working and repaired but stopped working less than a year later. Gas gauge stopped registering amount left so now we go by fill ups and reset mileage each time. Rear brake lights have been replaced multiple times because of melting in sockets and now right turn signal won't work bc there is problem with socket again. Passenger side rear door handle doesn't engage consistently either. Repairs are frustrating. Biggest issue was transmission died right after warranty expired and we had to cover entire cost of this. Kind of sucks because I love my truck but the electrical system seems to have problems.

- Miami, FL, USA

Apr 012014

Trailblazer

Was driving on the highway to lansing when my check engine light came on and I lost all power and guage function.I began to hear a loud howling noise, pulled off at the exit went to the repair shop in portland, mi where my wheel hub exploded in their hand on the passenger side. The fan clutch has completely stopped working witch caused the vehicle to overheat, and loose all power and my 4 wheel drive locked right up and stopped working. This was extremely dangerous at a rate of 70 mph because the vehicle slowed all the way down to 25 and had no power. I have had so many issues with this vehicle that I am now checking for recalls to have the vehicle serviced completely.

- Morley, MI, USA

Mar 102014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The car takes off as if it doesn't want to allow shift change. It automatically changes on it's on. Transmission starting to slip.

- Rock Hill, SC, USA

Apr 082013

Trailblazer

We own a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer and the gauges constantly mess up. Some my speed, oil gauge and RPM seem to act normal, then all of a sudden the gauges start misreading or the speedometer will go down to zero. This is a major safety issue. I can't tell how fast I'm going and I don't understand why there is no recall on this problem. I have read numerous post with people having the same issues. Its not safe for anybody not to know how fast their going. GM needs to initiate a recall and cover the cost for this problem. What has to happen to someone for a recall to take place, why not be smart and prevent a safety hazard before someone is hurt. This is a manufacturer fault, not an operator fault. Numerous dealerships have told us this is a manufacturer fault.

- Bennett, NC, USA

Feb 282014

Trailblazer

2003 Trailblazer ltz. I've been having problems with the gauges on the dashboard. Oil gauge went out about a year ago, then the fuel gauge went out about 6 months ago, and now the RPM just went out a few weeks ago. Are there a recall to fix the electrical problem on the dashboard? I was able to look at the odometer and see how many miles I have left until I need to fill up.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Feb 052014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

This is a third time the ABS warning light has come on malfunctioning saying we need service once in Montana and then another incident in 2008. "service brakes, air antilock ABS warning lights come on in the drivers information center. However, it happens every time it gets 5 to 10 degrees or more below zero. The first time I took it into garage and they cleaned up the ABS ground connection on the frame. This is a safety issue because a person doesn't know if it is accurate or another false alert. I would hope that other persons report these issues, and that the manufacturers would be forced to repair the issue.

- Sparta , WI, USA

Jan 102012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

When driving my vehicle that speedometer on the RPM does not work, and now I was told that the computer was messed up. I have replaced the battery, and then the fuse under the seat gets really hot, and something needs to be done about it. I have even got a ticket for speeding and my speed O meter was set at 65 and I was told by the highway patrol that I was going 75.

- Watonga, OK, USA

Jun 082013

Trailblazer

The speedometer worked great for about 20 minutes then it just slowly stopped working. Sometimes it comes on sometimes it doesn't, I have no idea how fast I'm driving.

- Bellingham, WA, USA