CarComplaints.com Notes: Carrying the not-so-proud traditions of its 2002 predecessor, the 2003 has a handful of instrument panel malfunctions that can leave you guessing your speed, engine temperature or how much gas is left in the tank.

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Sep 022016

Trailblazer

The dashboard cluster malfunctions. The first time it went out, the fuel guage and oil pressure guage stopped working and all other guages went out one by one soon after. We had a new GM cluster installed by the GM dealership at a cost of $600. This time, all guages stopped working and the alert lights stay on. (I.e. service 4WD, seat belt, service engine, brake and ABS) other GM vehicles with this same cluster have been recalled but not the 2003trailblazer.

- Farmington, NM, USA

Apr 042016

Trailblazer

"takata recall" we just purchased this car from my husband's deceased mother's estate and it had a recall on the lighting inside and outside tail lights. The vehicle has 83 thousand miles on it and the vehicle rear lights are not working when I brake only one that is is the third light on top of car. GM (Chevrolet) I live on a very limited income and due to disability as well. My income is 1330 a month. How can I get this fixed? they want to charge me for diagnostics, as I stated we fixed it once it seems to be that it may get hot and blows fuses and then I have no idea I have no tail lights this is very dangerous and someone could rear end me and kill themselves and or myself. Please help me in understanding are they responsible to fix their defects as they did it once when it was recalled and we also just bought this car. Paid about 5 thousand for it. Excellent condition. Other than the lighting system not working only on and off. I have not had an accident but I do not want to have a accident. I find it unfair that they dont want to fix the problem unless they are paid because apparently it is a problem that is and will recur. We have actually fixed the problem once but apparently something is wrong that we cannot secure the issue properly. Kindest regards carolyn otoole.

- Lake Hamilton, FL, USA

Feb 242016

Trailblazer

Instrument cluster gadge stepper motors all are bad. Have read hundreds of other Trailblazer owners complain of the same. Also the ignition switches are very faulty.

- Dunkirk, IN, USA

May 052016

Trailblazer

Travelling to work on 5/5/2016 @ 30mph vehicle completely shut down. Luckily pulled to side road. Was unable to start no power to ignition circuit, locked in park. Towed to repair shop & replaced faulty ignition switch @ cost of $300. Very dangerous situation!

- Howell, NJ, USA

Aug 082014

Trailblazer

Electrical problems in the instrument panel (dashboard). All gauges intermittently quits working, on startup, sitting running or in motion. Tachometer never reads correctly. Can occasionally get gauges to reset by clicking ignition back and forth between run and start positions. I know of 5 other vehicle's that are having similar problems.

- Selbyville, WV, USA

Mar 012016

Trailblazer

"takata recall" was driving down the highway doing bout 70mph and I hear a nosie on the roof and then I saw my whole 3rd break light asmbley break off and fly into the air and almost hit the car in back of me this can cause a major accident if it fly's off and hit a car in back of you and I was doing research online and saw its a common problem with these SUV its a poor design and needs to be recalled before somebody dies.

- Parkton, NC, USA

Dec 222015

Trailblazer

My wife started to drive the car and came in and said that the guages stopped working, I went out to see, turned the ignition on a couple of times and they came on and in about 30 seconds they went off and are still not working. The car was in the driveway at 2666 madison 248 fredericktown mo. It has the same as the ones that are included in other 2003 recalls but the Trailblazer hasn't had as many complaints. I would like to file one.

- Fredericktown, MO, USA

Jun 152012

Trailblazer

Speedometer and/or tachometer stop working or are inaccurate. Especially during cold or rainy weather. Problem happens more often as time goes by.

- Orange Park, FL, USA

Sep 252014

Trailblazer

The mileage on the Trailblazer does not light up or any info on the instrument panel

- Williams, SC, USA

Jul 162015

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. While driving at a high speed, the speedometer displayed an incorrect reading. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the speedometer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Bloomington, CA, USA

Jul 232015

Trailblazer

I went to pick up my grandson who lives approximately 1 mile away, drove back home making it 2 miles. Upon parking in the driveway we both smelled something burning and noticed smoke coming out from under the hood. The ignition was switched off. Upon opening the hood I discovered the fuse box smoldering and melting away, so I quickly used a wrench to disconnect the battery terminals. Before doing so I noticed that the headlights were still on but growing dimmer by the minute. The vehicle is not in drivable condition.

- Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Jun 132015

Trailblazer

The RPM gauge and speedometer have quit working on the instrument panel. The blower motor switch has gone bad and the ac blower will not work.

- Loxley, AL, USA

Feb 102015

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the air conditioner light, rear brake light, and rear driver side tail light malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the technician diagnosed that the lights malfunctioned due to electrical issues with the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Waianae, HI, USA

May 182015

Trailblazer

I purchased my 2003 chev Trailblazer new in 2003. I have never had any problems with it. It was parked in my driveway and I just went outside and unlocked it to put something in the vehicle and locked it back. About an hour or so later, I heard the horn start to blow but the keys were hanging up inside the house. I went out to see what the problem was and the vehicle started trying to crank on its on several times. Then I smelled something and raised the hood and the fuse box located under the hood was melting. We disconnected the battery but it had already melted the box by that time. I had it towed to the dealership but they didn't know if there was a recall or not. I need for someone to tell me why a vehicle would do something like that when I was not even driving it at the time and if hopefully there is some kind of recall because I can't afford what they are telling me it will take to fix it. They said it destroyed all three wiring harnesses. ??

- Blountsville, AL, USA

Sep 082010

Trailblazer

In 2010 I had to have the ignition starter switch because my 2003 Trailblazer would not start. This cost $300 plus the tow charge. On May 7th. 2015 I had to have the same switch replaced again, now not two weeks later the ignition switch is acting up again. I called General Motors and they said there was no recall on my Trailblazer, and I could contact my local Chevrolet dealer and see if they can tell me what I can do. I know what that information will be, bring it in and they will repair it, and that will cost me several hundred dollars. Thanks to General Motors.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Feb 042014

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, a burning odor was present inside the vehicle. The contact diagnosed that a failed electrical wiring attached to the heater blower caused the failure. The vehicle was repaired by the contact on multiple occasions but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Leon, KS, USA

Nov 212014

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Turning the key in the ignition, the car does not start and the key cannot be removed from the ignition. It is stuck in the on position, the wheel does turn but the shifter cannot be taken from the park position. Car is being towed today to aaa for assessment and repair. I found no recall but am concerned with the stuck ignition in the on position and the key not being removable.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Nov 082014

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

The speedometer is no longer reporting the correct vehicle speed. I may indicate 50mph while the vehicle is actually going 20mph, but it is not the same each time the vehicle is driven. The is the same problem that has been widely reported on many other GM models.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Oct 092013

Trailblazer 6-cyl

About 1 year ago all dashboard instruments quit working, or all gauges quit working only thing that works is the speed odometer and when it gets cold it doesn't work. And the back window latch doesn't lock even with the key. And the rear wiper also quit working at the time that everything else quit.

- Smiths Station, AL, USA

Dec 192008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The back hatch latch will at times go for months, not locking with the inside lock & sometimes it even has to be shut 2-3 times for it to catch & latch shut. Then for some reason it will seem to be ok. Then it is right back to not locking & having to shut it hard 2-3 times to catch. When it will not lock with the inside lock, you can not even lock it with the key, the key will not turn completely so it is locked. I never know when it is locked until I check it manually I have at times though it is locked & when I come out of the store (or "?"business work etc..) I check the back hatch & it has been unlocked the whole time I was away from the vehicle. I can't leave anything in it my jack, a tire, groceries, christmas anything, we can't take it on vacation, nothing is safe. This has happened over & over, at least 5-6 times over the years. And lasting from a couple of weeks, to several months at a time. It has been broken this time for over 6 months. I like the vehicle but all I get is flack from my husband because of the security issue.

- Manchester, TN, USA