CarComplaints.com Notes: Carrying the not-so-proud traditions of its 2002 predecessor, the 2003 has a handful of instrument panel malfunctions that can leave you guessing your speed, engine temperature or how much gas is left in the tank.

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

May 162008

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Speedometer on our 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer started acting erratically--never going down to zero, going up to 80 or above for no reason, etc.--about 2 years ago. In a matter of weeks, after the first onset of the problem, it stopped working altogether and has not moved above zero since. We were told that the whole instrument cluster would have to be replaced to fix the issue with the speedometer. Luckily, all of the other gauges are still functioning properly as of right now but from what I have found in my research of this issue it seems to be only a matter of time before they all will cease to function properly as well. I have seen and read many reports about this problem but I am sure it would be safe to say that there are many more instances that have gone unreported. Please look into this very serious safety issue as soon as possible. It does not seem likely or merely coincidental that so many Trailblazers are experiencing the very same instrument cluster failure.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jul 022010

Trailblazer

In July 2010 my Trailblazers clutch fan and thermostat went out. I was able to diagnose the problem by the number of complaints filed on this model that were on the internet. Then in October my tachometer started acting up, it broke November 24, 2010. The speedometer broke on December 3, 2010. I have found many complaints on the clutch fan going out and the cluster going out on the internet. Someone at work had a problem with their Envoy and it was the thermostat and their clutch fan going out. All at fairly low mileage. I am very disappointed in GM for not wanting to repair these issues so the consumer bears the costs of repair which is about 500 for the clutch fan and thermostat and 400 for the cluster.

- Lockport, KY, USA

Oct 282010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph the speedometer displayed that he was traveling 100 mph. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 98,000.

- Harrisburgh, PA, USA

Nov 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

2003 Chevy Trailblazer 2wd, ltz - instrument panel is failing. Began with the speedometer, which does not accurately reflect the correct speed 100% of the time. Now, the oil gauge is not working properly and the fuel gauge is off as well. I checked with Chevrolet directly (800 222 1020) and was told that there is not a recall for this issue. However, for the same years, the Silverado, Avalanche were recalled! if it's an issue across Chevy trucks, then the Trailblazer should be recalled as well.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Oct 292010

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

Speedometer on my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer does not calibrate to zero when starting vehicle. This is causing erroneous speedometer display when operating the vehicle causing serious safety issues. I have read several other complaints of the exact issue. A recall should be issued to correct the problem while the number of deaths reported for this issue is still 0. does someone need to die before the problem is addressed?

- Wetumpka, AL, USA

Oct 262010

Trailblazer

TL * the contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the instrument cluster malfunctioned while driving 25 mph. The speedometer would not read accurate speeds traveled and the fuele lvel indicator would not read accurate fuel levels. The contact stated that there were numerous complaints found online regarding the instrument cluster failure and stated that the manufacturer should issue a recall. The contact stated the failure was a major safety issue. The failure mileage was 82,000.

- New Carlisle, OH, USA

Sep 062010

Trailblazer

My tachometer went out on my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer on 9-6-10. I have around 100,000 miles on the vehicle, but this is not the first of many complaints on this vehicle.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jun 272010

Trailblazer

Speedometer and fuel gauge quit working.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 062009

Trailblazer

Driving along and speedometer showed almost 100mph. After turning off the engine the speed read about 30mph. Call the Chevrolet dealer and they stated this is a very common problem with GM, and well known with the Trailblazers. They stated that it was the cluster panel and GM was repairing almost all the vehicles but the Trailblazer. My daughter drives the Trailblazer to college and this happens all the time which is a danger not knowing what speed you are going. The dealer said GM is refusing to pay for the repairs due to so many Trailblazers with this problem and it would cost up to $1500 to repair. I've made several calls to GM this past year and just get a runaround.

- Millstadt, IL, USA

Nov 132009

Trailblazer

My 2003 Chevy Trailblazer seems to have a cluster motor problem. It started late last year, the speedometer was erratic, fails, starts working again. The fuel gauge has stopped working altogether. I brought the car to a dealership to have it diagnosed and they said they was nothing wrong with the cluster. I understand that the Chevy Tahoe, Suburban, Avalanche and others have been recalled on this, why not the Trailblazer...same engine, different model. This is a safety issue and needs to be addressed. Chevy will not do anything about it and they know that there is a problem, they just refuse to admit it. Why should consumers have to pay for the $800-$900 repair when obviously its faulty?

- Chelsea, ME, USA

Sep 072009

Trailblazer

My 2003 Chevy Trailblazer's speedometer does not work. Thought I was going 65mph on the highway and other cars were zipping past me turned out I was only going 51 mph. I pulled over and stopped and the speedometer was just stuck on 51. I looked on-line to see if anybody had, similar problems and to my surprise there were 100's if not 1000's of complaints for the same problems. Contacted Chevy and they said it was not a "safety hazard", how can not knowing your exact speed all the time not be a safety hazard"?? granted there were no incidents but eventually something will happen, not to mention the fact that not knowing your speed could cause you to get pulled over by the police. It will cost consumers between 400-600 dollars to fix, when it is a manufactures defect, to whom we the taxpayers just bailed out. Chevy should rectify this problem as they have with the same problem for other models. They know the problem but since there are so many complaints they do not want to cover the costs. What happens if you think you are going 55 mph and actually going 70" could be alot of problems.

- Northlake, IL, USA

May 182010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The speedometer on my 2003 Trailblazer ls is malfunctioning. It won't go down past 30 mph - thus when I'm going 45 mph, it reads 75 mph. First time was in 2009, and then yesterday (5/18/2010) it started doing the same thing again. The first time the shop I took it to was able to repair it, but today they told me I need a new cluster. Went online and found I am not the only person to have this happen to me, and that there are many people with the same issue.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Speedometer and oil pressure gauge not working. Was told by my mechanic that I need a new control panel cluster.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Mar 012010

Trailblazer

The speedometer gives false readings sometimes displaying over 120 mph when sitting still. The gauge is usually off by 10 or more miles per hour. Also, the tach gauge is off as well. Similar failures on other Chevrolet models have been subject to recall.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Feb 242010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the entire insturment panel malfunctioned. The contact called the manufacturer regarding the failure and was informed that there were no recalls and he would have to pay all repair expenses. The failure mileage was approximately 133,000.

- Fellsmere, FL, USA

Mar 012010

Trailblazer

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the instrument cluster was not functioning properly; the speedometer did not register the correct speed. At times when the vehicle was shut off, the speedometer would indicate that the vehicle was moving 70 mph, or register a speed of 120 mph when the vehicle was moving 40 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was repaired. The VIN was not available. The contact also called the manufacturer who referred him to NHTSA. The current and failure mileage was approximately 65,000.

- Nashville , TN, USA

Dec 262009

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Last Dec I was driving and my tachometer began reading higher than expected. When I turned off the vehicle to refuel, the tachometer continued to read ~3000 RPM. My vehicle had approx. 38K miles on it at the time. I researched this symptom and found this is a common problem that was addressed by a recall on other GM vehicles using the same instrument clusters. One solution is to remove a fuse and then turn on the ignition switch. This resets the cluster. However, this is temporary and the problem soon returns. According to numerous internet forums, it is only a matter of time until more critical instruments (speedometer, fuel gauge, etc.) exhibit the same erratic symptoms.

- Centreville, VA, USA

Jan 252008

Trailblazer

My 2003 Chevy Trailblazers speedometer doesn't work anymore. The lights on the dash and tail lights on the drivers side won't work anymore. GM says they don't have enough complaints to do anything about the problem. There are recalls on other models around the same year with the same problem but no recall on the Trailblazer yet.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Mar 012003

Trailblazer

Speedometer on my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer not working. Tachometer not working. Speed not being measured right. I ran off the road turning on a curve because I was going too fast and was not aware of the incorrect speed.

- Palacios, TX, USA

Feb 222010

Trailblazer

Lights dim during acceleration. Rumor has it that the car is doing diagnostic tests with extra loads, or the secondary air pump is kicking on.

- Washington, MI, USA