CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

7.2

2. replaced instrument cluster (2 reports)
  3. check all modules in dash to locate bad communication (1 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments

Apr 132010

Trailblazer LX V6

Fuel gage quit working. Could not tell how much gas we had in vehicle. Now the engine light stays on all the time and they say it still has something to do with the gas. This vehicle has been nothing but a pain in the ass

- , Bangor, MI, USA

Jun 012013

Trailblazer LS

A number of times when I stopped the motor, the truck would then not re-start. A lock symbol then appeared as a dashboard warning. A service tech at the local Chevy dealership said the computer would reset in about 20 minutes, but it always took at least an hour. For short stops, I decided to leave it running and locked, run my errand, then return to unlock it with the second key. That is unsafe and burns fuel, but at least I could ACT as if I had a running vehicle. Yesterday afternoon I was in a place of business for over an hour, and it would not start. I sat in the parking lot until long after they closed -- 5.5 hours to be exact. This was in a local city about 20 miles from my home, and it was going to be dark soon. Roadside Assistance finally arrived at 7 p.m. and towed it to the nearest Chevy dealership. The technician said there is a problem with either the low-speed or the high-speed data line in the CAN (controller area network). There are 13 modules in the dash, and one or more could be faulty or the wiring could be faulty. It will cost $366 just to remove different parts of the dash to find the problem -- all of this possible by later today (4 hours). My friend who retired from GM advised me to let them fix that problem alone, then sell the truck. I got the same advice from a reputable mechanic who works on auto electrical systems. Apparently (and from the internet) a costly professional or factory scan tool is required to diagnose the computer inside the vehicle. There are many comments on the internet about the unreliability of the 2005 Trailblazer -- with well over 816 complaints compared to about 300 for other year models. The total cost of repair is unknown at this point.

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 072013

Trailblazer EXT 6

While checking the fuses in the fusebox under the 2nd row seat for an another problem, I burned the back of my hand on the 15 amp circuit breaker that powers the circuit for the windshield wiper on the rear window. The circuit is drawing power even though everything is turned off. I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the circuit breaker out because it was too hot to touch.

- , Negaunee, MI, USA

Oct 112011

Trailblazer 4.2L

main blower switch levels 1 -2-3-4 work fine # 5 doesn't work at all rear blower doesn't come on until you are driving for a few minutes. oooook !

- , Grand Island, NE, USA

Jun 022011

Trailblazer LT V6

I never gripped to much about the heating system, which is terrible, but when my electric seat stopped working I knew it was time to complain. I spent to much money on this car . I cannot believe with all the same complaints about the electrical seat they have not been recalled. I think it's about time to go back to a Ford.

- , Morganton, NC, USA

Mar 012010

Trailblazer LT 4.0L 6 cyl

My speedometer will not work during winter when the weather is freezing. When the weather gets warm it will go back to its right place again.

- , Reno, NV, USA

Apr 102007

Trailblazer XLT

The fuel gauge in my 2005 Trailblazer stopped working. I had to track my usage by keeping the mileage set to trip to know when to gas up. I soon got this down pat, and then my speedometer deciding that I wasn't annoyed enough, so it went out too. So, not only could I not see how much gas I had, I couldn't see how fast I was going either!! I had to get the entire instrument cluster replaced, and of course I was no longer under warranty. It costs over $400.00. Did not see this coming since I had only had the truck for a year and a half (purchased 10/2005 problem occurred 2007)!!!

- , Pearl, MS, USA

Dec 012010

Trailblazer LS V6

I bought my Trailblazer a couple years ago with just 20 K miles on it. Since about 80 K, I have experienced annoying electrical issues. It all started with my radio not staying on after I turned off my car. Then, my back hatch started locking on its own- does not unlock with my remote or master unlock buttons- and there is no way to unlock it from the inside.This problem would come and go periodically but never last more than a week or so. My headlights and interior lights dim often while I am driving, it feels as if my truck will die and then it comes back rapidly. We have had very cold weather in Wisconsin the last month or so and these "periodic problems" have come back to stay. This time, the trailblazer has new issues. I will turn my key, hear a single click and nothing happens. When I turn the key to off my radio will turn on and my windshield wipers sometimes will turn on by themselves. I will have to attempt to start my vehicle several times before it decides to fire. A few days ago, tried to start my car and my key locked between the "start" and "on" functions for several minutes before I could move it. When I finally was able to start the vehicle, my 6 CD changer ejected all of my CD's and my windshield washer fluid motor ceased to function. I have an appointment with my mechanic this week, but from when I have read from other reviews, my hopes are not very high. I really like my Trailblazer but am so disappointed with all of these issues. I am sure I will never purchase another Chevy or GM product. Wish me luck @ the the mechanic!

- , Tomahawk, WI, USA