Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002-2007 Chevrolet Trailblazer is known for many things, but perhaps it is most famous for its faulty fuel gauge.

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer:

2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Sep 102011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

While driving my 2006 Chevy Trailblazer I noticed the strong smell of an electric fire. Almost immediately after noticing the smell smoke began to come out of the door panel on the drivers side. By the time we were able to pull off the road onto a side street (about 30 seconds) the smell and smoke had increased considerably. We had the vehicle towed to a repair shop and we were told the drivers side window switch went bad and caught fire. We had to have the electrical replaced on the entire driver's side of the vehicle. I noticed that this same issue has been reported by others for Chevy Trailblazer's of the same model year and would request this issue continue to be investigated in the event a recall is necessary. Updated 6/26/12

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Feb 072012

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Trailblazer 4WD. The driver's side window become erratic during operation at first. Then entire electrical system was affected over next day or two, including making door locks operate on their own, heard electrical crackling sounds in door and dashboard. Smelled electrical fire fumes slightly once. Engine warning light came on, followed by light warning that stabilatrak had issues. Took it into Chevrolet dealership (harbor, 9911 w 300 N, Michigan city, in. Phone (219) 210-4266.) after the service department investigated, they reported that the issue was a burned out drivers door module that had obvious charring on it. The service tech noted on invoice sheet that he found the engine light was indicating a P0171 diagnostic issue which he traced to the "failed/shorted" driver door module. The solution was to replace the module and program the new module. The next day after getting back the vehicle, the engine warning light came on again. A check by me using my obd unit shows that once again the P0107 is the issue. I have also again heard crackling in the door, but no electrical issues seen thus far. Will be heading back to dealership first chance that I get. Cost of the unit replacement was $524.62.

- Michigan City, IN, USA

Jan 262012

Trailblazer 6-cyl

I smelled something burning and tried to roll my window down with no success. I have a friend who is a mechanic, remove the master switch from the door. There burn marks and melting on the plastic outside components. I am fearful that this could have caught fire and me or someone in my family would become seriously injured or worse. And who is to say that is would not do it again if the piece was only replaced. I feel this should be seriously looked at by Chevrolet before something tragic happens.

- Germantown, OH, USA

Jan 242011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel gauge would fail intermittently. In addition, the check engine light would illuminate sporadically. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 94,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mt. Pleasant, MI, USA

Aug 282011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

While driving down the road the headlights will start flickering the traction control lights will come on it the dash and all of the buttons on the drivers door will stop working and the rear heater will only work when it wants too the power light on the rear heater will not even come on then your driving along and it will light up and start working the only way to get the buttons on the door to work again and the lights in the dash to go off is to pull over and shut the truck off and then restart it up again but you may be doing this again with in the hour if still driving and if you don't look for those lights on in the dash you could be in trouble cause if they stay on long enough you will go to stop and the brake paddle will go to the floor and you won't stop but if you quickly hit the brake again it stops the truck is extremely dangerous to drive anymore it scares me every time I get in it I think there should be a recall on these trucks from what I have seen online alot of people are having the same problems and if I hit someone because of this thing I will sue GM for making junk.

- Corryton, TN, USA

Feb 022010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

All repairs done within 20,000 of use (purchased used at 50,000 currently have 70,000) back windshield water pump does not work brake lights/left signal light are not working correctly, back up lights illuminate when braking left front driver side tie metal rods visible due to suspension errors causing too much wear on tire service stability track error check engine light on bottom of car is rusting out ABS failed on ice car runs rough left outer tie rod end replaced front/rear alignment done front brakes replaced rear brakes replace left front wheel barring replaced left rear brake caliber replaced driver master switch replaced windshield washer pump replaced fuel level sensor replaced left outer tie rod replaced (second time) front end alignment ignition switch replaced water pump replaced solenoid replaced front hub R/F replaced front disc brake pads replaced brake rotor replaced rear disc brake pad replaced rear brake rotor replaced gas cap replaced tail light assembly L/R. battery replaced.

- Windham, NH, USA

Aug 012011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The gas gauge on my 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer began to show an empty tank when I filled up, after driving about 50 miles the gauge would properly show the amount of gas I had in the tank until the next fill up. The problem has gotten worse and I have read that other Trailblazer owners are having the same problem. The defect seems to be common, expensive to repair, and should be the responsibility of Chevrolet.

- Astoria , NY, USA

May 012010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel sending unit began sending intermittent false readings, resulting in running out of gas mid-intersection, while on freeways where the loss of speed might result in an obstruction of traffic, in mid-acceleration where the loss of acceleration might result in an immediate danger to the occupants and surrounding vehicles, or while driving while gauge indicator indicated the availability of fuel within the system to perform combustion.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Aug 032009

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

After changing the vehicle's battery, the fuel system, air system and 4X4 system have all failed. GMC is aware of my issue and hundreds of others. They refuse to fix this known issue, this vehicle is very dangerous to drive.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Oct 012011

Trailblazer 4WD 6-cyl

My fuel indicator has all sorts of mis-readings. Examples: Reads empty with low fuel light on when just filled, begins to read somewhere near 3/4 at a mileage point, (50), that it usually reads full. Very annoying and distracting to driver. Distracts the drivers attention to driving. Dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Sewickley, PA, USA

Jan 052011

Trailblazer 6-cyl

The 2006 Trailblazer had issues with the 2-wheel drive/4-wheel drive actuator and sensor. I had the sensor replace under warranty because the indicator light on the actuator handle was in a different range than what the knob indicated. After replacement, the truck indicator light would occasionally change while driving. There were no warning lights indicating that there was an issue with the power train system. The transfer case eventually burned up due to continuous switching between high and low hears while driving. The truck lost power while driving at 65 miles an hour in mountainous and snowy conditions. The transfer case, and sensor and actuator were all paid my the car owner.

- Denver , CO, USA

Oct 022011

While driving our gas gauge went down to empty even though we had a full tank. This posed a safety hazard as we were then unable to determine how much gas we actually had. It seems the fuel gauge is faulty. This could lead to running out of gas while driving causing a potential accident.

- North Wales, PA, USA

Aug 042010

Trailblazer 6-cyl

Fuel gauge began to show incorrect and erratic levels. It now shows that the tank is alway empty and puts on the service engine soon light every time I fill the tank all the way up. I have been told by the dealer that is needs a new fuel level sending unit at a cost of nearly $600.

- Belleville, WI, USA

Jul 152011

There was a burning smell in the car and then the high setting on the air fan speed stopped working. Then about a month later the second to highest speed stopped working also. I opened my glove when my wife was driving and then the highest setting started working again, then stopped working a few minutes later. I looked in the dash behind the glove box and found that there was a connector for the fan motor controller was heating up and started melting. I checked the connection and inside the connector was burnt and blackened. I contacted General Motors about my 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. They setup an appointment at the nearest Chevrolet dealer and had it checked. They found that the fan motor connector was bad and that the fan motor controller was bad also, they contacted General Motors and told them it wasn't a defect and it was not a safety hazard. I cannot believe that the connector almost catching fire is not a fire hazard or a defect. They wanted to replace the connector and the motor controller. I denied the service because they wanted to charge me $365 to do so. When I found the parts elsewhere for $75 and im going to do the repairs myself. I have pictures of the burnt connector and fan motor controller. I will be repairing the issue once the parts are delivered. I am also experiencing the fuel level problem also, the fuel gauge says its empty when I fill it up.

- Heber City, UT, USA

Jun 252011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer ls. The contact stated that while rolling down the front drivers side window, smoke began to rise from the door panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the control module in the front drivers side door melted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The contact also stated that the fuel gauge would display improper readings after refueling. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was informed that the fuel sending unit failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 93,600.

- Fife Lake, MI, USA

Jan 012010

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet trail Blazer. The contact stated that the check engine light illuminated on the instrument panel. The dealer diagnosed that the sensor ignition was defective and the vehicle was repaired numerous times, but the failure continuously recurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 27,000.

- South Gate, MI, USA

Mar 222011

Car fuel gauge failed to show accurate amount of fuel. Sporadic readings

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Mar 032011

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer. The contact stated that the fuel gauge malfunctioned. After refilling the fuel tank, the fuel level gauge would read empty. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic and they advised him that there was an electrical failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 75,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Sep 012010

When I filled my car up it would suddenly show it was empty & a check engine icon showed up & yellow low on gas warning light started dinging last fall 2010. When I drove approx 25 to 30 miles it would register gas normally & engine light would go away. I fill up every 2- 3 weeks normally. Then this past February it went haywire & when I fill up it goes to the empty side, engine icon shows up & low on gas light dings & it never registers correctly at all, the gas hand is all over and I have been having to use the mileage gauge to even know how much I might have. It low gas warning will star dinging & I am driving down the road or interstate for no reason & startle me. It has caused me to suddenly jerk the steering wheel because I am startled & that is dangerous in itself. Our family has been owned GM cars from the mid 1990's on and this has caused a very unsafe feeling for me. I have children & grandchildren with me and I feel very unsafe for the 1st time in this vehicle I am so nervous just driving to work & back & my eyes are constantly monitoring the panel when I need to keep focused on my drive. I am so concerned that since the gas gages are so wrong what would just keep it from "sensing" there is no gas and suddenly stop! I would hate for it to take a death to push this problem to be a recall. I am also a consumers report panelist and this will be on their report this year for sure. I have dealt with the noise issues as you drive & small things that happen as time goes on, but this is definitely an issue for recall. I need a safe vehicle and to trade is not the answer yet as I would not be honest in something else buying this car and maybe losing their life please I beg listen to the notices you have received concerning this, these are real as I have sensed myself in their concerns & complaints.

- Lafayette, TN, USA

May 012010

The fuel sending unit on my trailbalzer has failed and I have run out of gas several times causing dangerous situations. I have had to call aaa several times. The repair job will cost about $800 and I cannot afford to do it. The gas tank must be pulled down and the entire fuel pump/sending unit must be replaced by a mechanic. It is a dangerous job. I think General Motors should issue a recall and repair free to the owners I know of several others running with the same condition. It will not pass New York state inspection with this condition...thank you.

- Churchville, NY, USA