CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2.1

2010 Chevrolet Traverse brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 152016

Traverse

June 2016, approx. 114,000 mi - felt a lurch in stop & go traffic; flashed "service stabilitrak, " "service traction control, " "backup alerts = off". the check engine light appeared. A few miles down the road when traffic sped up, I realized I only had one gear and could not accelerate above 60mph. A serious problem on the interstate! several hours later, the check engine light remained on, but the car drove normally -- straight to the repair shop, where it was deemed to need $2400 in transmission repair due to the following fault codes: P182E & C0561. They will replace the transmission mode shift sensor and the transmission control module. The mechanic also informed us that we will eventually need a $700 repair for the control arms in the rear suspension -- ge has corrected a known fault in the parts. All this is on top of a $3000 repair done in April 2015 at 92,500 mi. For known steering defects. In that case, as the Traverse warmed up, the power steering got hard to turn. GM repaired part of the problem at no cost, replacing power steering pump and gear housing. Another mechanic completed the replacement of the rack and pinion assembly that was also part of the problem. These are both substantial defects and repairs needed in a vehicle that was expected to last much longer before needing more than routine maintenance.

- Worthington, OH, USA

Mar 082016

Traverse

The stability/track light turned on while driving home from a meeting. The airbag service light goes on and off too.

- Jacobus, PA, USA

Feb 232016

Traverse

The current mileage on my 2010 Traverse is 74K... driving down the highway at 60mph all of a sudden the traction stabilizer control/ABS lights come on the dashboard and the car started decelerating, down to 45 mph and more. While the gas petal was being pressed no acceleration would happen. Went to pull off to the side of the road to get out of harms way, and all of a sudden the acceleration came back. The remainder of my drive the traction stablizer control/ABS stayed on with no other acceleration problems, until I arrived to work. When backing out of a parking space the vehicle would not go in reverse, while giving it gas in reverse the vehicle continued to go forward. Put in park, waiting, then tried it again. The traction stabilizer control/ABS lights went off and I was able to reverse just fine. Over the pas few months the vehicle has experienced only with the traction stabilizer/ABS light indicators no other problems. We had taken it to the dealership and they find no codes. Could it be the sensor or now could it be the throttle body??

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Feb 082016

Traverse

While driving our vehicle some sensors starting to go off and we started losing power to the vehicle which in turn caused a huge and very dangerous situation. The Traverse we were driving showed a traction control, service stabilitrak signal. It began to lose power and slow down. If we were in the middle of the highway we would have wrecked, luckily we were not. I have noticed that this has been an issue on many other Traverse's as well as many other vehicles within the Chevrolet lineup, yet there is still no recall. I am not sure what needs to be done or if someone really needs to hurt before a recall is made, but someone need to make the right call before anyone gets hurt with this issue. I have contacted Chevrolet and they said it is a know issue but there is no recall for it, what needs to be done to make this recall happen, does someone need to seriously get hurt" it also appears that there are no fixes for this issue and it is just costing owners, more and more money to get repairs they don't really need. Where do I go from here"

- New Hudson, MI, USA

Oct 152014

Traverse

On the highway doing around 65 mph, alarm chimes went off, display center showed "service stabilitrak", "service traction control", "engine power reduced". the car quickly decelerated to 10 mph and would not go any faster. Had to pull over and shut down. This was only one of the many times this has happened over the past year and a half. It has been in and out of the service center, diagnosed with 4 or 5 different issues, repaired 2 or 3 components all with the same outcome: The engine power reduced issue comes back. The dealer tells me it's a "new issue" every time so at this point I have no faith in their "fixes", I feel that when my wife, kids, or me are in the car I will eventually be in a horrific accident where we all die and hope that at least this message will come out then. GM has been sort of helpful but from my research/dealings with this issue (30+ hours), it seems like something that should have been recalled on several different model GM automobiles. I am at a loss. I haven't fixed the most recent issue ($700, transmission internal mode switch) in hopes that, using my own research/technical expertise, I can find the real issue behind these failures and not just what the "computer error codes" are pointing too. The irony in this "feature" is that, from my understanding, it goes into this engine power reduced mode for safety reasons so that you won't lose control of the car or other problem. Yet reducing the engine power on a busy highway or the pa turnpike where there is nowhere to safely pull over is the most dangerous problem of all. Notes for other consumers: So far the mechanic has flushed the throttle body (cleaned it), and replaced the timing belt. Taking to a different mechanic for a 2nd opinion on the most recent internal mode switch diagnosis.

- Bradford Woods, PA, USA

Dec 012015

Traverse

I was driving on highway going 70mph. Traction control/stabilitrak off came on dash along with park assist off. I felt the engine lose power and speed dropped to 25mph. I has to swerve and miss several cars from hitting me due to this reduce speed on the highway. Pressed on the peddle to speed up and the engine would not go past 1st gear ( well at least that's what it felt like) I had the car towed home. To afraid to drive. Took it to our shop and nothing was registered on the diagnostic code. Car seems fine now, just afraid to drive. Is there a recall for this?

- Covina, CA, USA

Nov 282015

Traverse

Stabilitrak/traction control/reduce engine power. While driving down interstate 75 North in tn on November 28, 2015 at approximately 10:30pm with my husband, 6 year old, and 3 year old; my 2010 Chevrolet Traverse suddenly dinged and then the flashed the following messages on my display: Stabilitrak, traction control, reduce engine power. This resulted in a rapid deceleration from about 75mph to about 25mph. We narrowly avoided being hit by a semi-truck behind us, as the car rapidly slows without brake lights notifying other drivers. Thankfully, the semi was able to quickly swerve into the left lane to avoid hitting us. We pulled over and shut down the engine. When we turned it back on, the warning lights were off and the car ran normally. This is an extremely dangerous situation, which appears to be quite common in numerous GM vehicles. I'm alarmed that NHTSA hasn't required a recall for this issue, which looks to be related to a throttle-body problem. I was able to locate a service alert from GM for this issue, so it appears that they are very aware of the problem.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 232015

Traverse

My car could have gotten me killed. I was on my way to work, stopped at a stop sign and when I mashed the gas to go it said stability track off, motor reduced. My car literally was in the road with traffic coming. There was no way to turn it off. Another day I had to pull over on a four lane because it done the same and wouldn't go. This is so dangerous to anyone who has these Chevy Traverse.I have looked at many reviews and this is a big complaint out of hundreds of people on the same issue. It's a matter of time before someone is killed. It's not safe for an individual much less a family, because you never know when it's going to shut down. No shop can fix this problem. I've had new tires, sensor, and reset and it doesn't work. Please consider looking at all the reviews on these cars.

- Philadelphia, MS, USA

Feb 242015

Traverse

Me & my family were driving on the highway, doing 65 mph, & suddenly the chime in my vehicle goes off, & in the display window it reads service traction control, service stabilitrak & park assist off. Also the engine light & I believe the stabilitrak light come on. Then the vehicle just slows down & when I try to push the gas to go, it will not go over 20 mph. I put my hazard lights on & luckily I was just a few minutes from home. The next day I take my vehicle back to greg may Honda where I purchased it, they put it on that machine & they said I would have to take it to a Chevy dealership. That same day I take it & they tell me it's the throttle body. So I drive my vehicle home & try to come up with the money to make the repair & I take my vehicle to my personnel mechanic on Feb 27, 2015, they replace the throttle body for $521.79 (I do have receipt). 3 months later on May 23, 2015 the same problem happened again while I was out of town. 3 months after that on Aug 7, 2015 it did it. And again on Sept 1, 2015. I purchased this vehicle used on Nov 29, 2014, I only had it 3 months when it began to mess up on me. Each time it happened I am either on a busy city street or on the highway. I have 5 children in my vehicle & this is extremely dangerous for my family.

- Waco, TX, USA

Aug 212015

Traverse

I have a 2010 Chevy Traverse lt with 67000 miles. Last month while driving my all the controls started going crazy and error message was saying "traction control off, service stabilitrac, service traction control" service stabilitrak / reduced engine / traction control off/ parking assist off message appeared on the dic and the car went into "reduced engine power" mode and would only blem to have been fixed. Now today I was driving my cat to the vet when all of a sudden here we go again the same problem as last month. I went from 45 mph down to dropping down to 15 mph at random is not safe and very dangerous considering you cant just over lanes if you are in traffic when I topped for gas I tried to turn it off and wait then restart as manual suggests but it didn't help, the message reappeared. Once the car finally started I went straight to waldorf Chevy dealer. I took it in to see what codes and everything pointed to needing a computer board which ended up costing $1009 Chevy dealership said "probably just fluke, hopefully won't happen again"! not a good answer for me because I drive around and my husband deployed to afghanistan I don't need issues with my only car. This should be a covered repair. I called both Chevy and GM and have to say I was happy with the customer service I received. I want to know why GM knows this is a reoccurring issue in the Traverse and have not notified owners and sent out a factory recall. If the dealer dares come back and say throttle position sensor needs replaced and refuses to fix it at no cost at lease I called corporate so they will be involved in this matter this time!!!! :)

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jun 242015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 50 mph, the ABS and electronic stability control warning indicators illuminated. The contact pulled over and powered the vehicle off and back on. The vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure occurred multiple times during the day. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the stability traction system needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Los Angles, CA, USA

Jun 112015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 60 mph, the ABS and electronic stability control warning indicators illuminated. The speed reduced to 25 mph and the accelerator pedal failed to respond. When the contact pulled over and powered the vehicle off and back on, the warning indicators were no longer illuminated and the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure recurred on two other occasions. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,889. The VIN was unavailable.

- Burlington, NC, USA

Feb 272015

Traverse

On the way to longview Texas, we were driving on the loop in palestine when the stabilitrak light came on, the check engine light came on, and park assist light came on. The vehicle lost power quickly and we had to cross two lanes of traffic to get to the shoulder. I am pregnant and my 3 year old was in the car. Vehicle was towed, I had to pay for a rental car. The bacon Chevrolet in palestine charged me $150 to run diagnostics and give me an oil change since that was due up. They fixed three recalls that were due on my vehicle I had owned for 1.5 yrs, then none of the lights came back on. Again on May 12th, yesterday, my vehicle stabilitrac light came on, check engine light came on, and the vehicle RPM's would go to about 3,000 only driving 40 mph. I was able to make it home and parked the car. My husband came out to check on it and the stabilitrak light had gone off but check engine light is still on. I called local dealership tom light Chevy and was told "there have been no issues with this", they must not get the internet there. This has been a huge problem with multiple owners of both the Traverse and the equinox (my sister has one that has the same issue) from the 2009 all the way to 2013 model from what I have seen. I want to know why there has been no recall and why we are paying to run diagnostics or to fix things when the lights come on again and tell us the issue is something else?! GM needs to do a recall or they are going to lose many customers with the way it is being handled. If these lights come on again soon, this will be three times in six months! I am looking at trading this vehicle in and telling everyone I know to stay away from GM if this is handled improperly.

- College Station , TX, USA

Nov 032014

Traverse 6-cyl

Error message says traction control off, service stabilitrak, engine power reduced then vehicle drops speed to under 20mph. I have to try and safely pull off the side of the road and wait until I can turn the car back on to continue driving. This can last an hour or more. Dealer says the throttle body needs replaced. Tsb #pi-0097A and NHTSA #10036514 shows a known issue. Dealer says not covered. Dealer serviced vehicle by cleaning the throttle bottle and problem stopped for about 2 weeks. Symptoms happen again and now engine light stays on all the time. I am very discouraged with this vehicle. Why does Chevy publish these tsb's if the dealers won't cover them?

- Middletown, PA, USA

Feb 192015

Traverse 6-cyl

My wife was running errands with 2010 Traverse and the bell started chiming while driving down the road. "service traction control, service stabilitrak and reduced engine power" came up on dash display and she had hardly enough power to drive around town. I advised her to turn it off and restart it, it worked for a few miles but it happened again. I looked up symptoms online and found many reports of this problem with few resolutions made by GM dealers, even after replacing very expensive parts at owners expense.

- Montevideo, MN, USA

Feb 142015

Traverse 6-cyl

Was driving my Chevy Traverse at around 45mph when suddenly received vehicle notifications stating "service traction control service stabilitrac and reduced engine power." Immediately I was at a loss of engine power and was suddenly reduced to 15mph nearly being rear-ended. I had to vear off the road, shut the vehicle down, and then restart it only to make it another mile up the road before the symptoms occurred again. I was forced to repeat these steps 5 more times before making it to my destination. Upon investigation of this mechanical issue I've learned of hundreds of other consumers experiencing the same exact symptoms with not one providing a repair solution. Many have paid upwards of $500-$1000 in repair costs and are still experiencing the same problems. I have driven my vehicle twice since the first occurrence and each time experience the same symptoms. Am I to pay for dealer repair when it seems there is no proper solution? I now have a $20000 vehicle that I don't feel safe putting my family in, which is ironically why I purchased it in the first place. I suppose I am forced to have it serviced at my local dealer but am certainly not optimistic about the results. This vehicle is a death trap! recall this very dangerous problem before someone is seriously injured or killed.

- Chesterfield , MI, USA

Dec 162014

Traverse 6-cyl

2010 Traverse. Displayed showed traction control off, service stabilitrac, engine power reduced. The car suddenly dropped to 25mph. I see these problems all over and it seems as if my VIN isn't covered. This could have caused serious harm to my family and others. Had car in the shop two months earlier because the drive train had to be replaced.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Jan 082015

Traverse

My 2010 Traverse experienced a severe safety issue this morning. While driving approximately 65 mph, the traction control warning light illuminated and the engine speed was immediately reduced to approximately 15 mph. This occurred without warning and in heavy freeway traffic nearly causing my vehicle to be rear ended by several other cars. I turned on my hazard signal and managed to reach the road shoulder after traffic had cleared. After stopping for 10 minutes I restarted the vehicle in an attempt to drive to the closest dealer for service. After covering about 6 miles the same warning lights appeared and the vehicle speed was reduced again, but I manage to reach the dealership. At the Chevrolet dealer the vehicle was diagnosed that the throttle body had failed & needed to be replaced. The dealer service department stated that this was not a warranty item. I paid the significant cost for the repair myself and contacted both GM & Chevrolet division to notify them of the failure and ask for reimbursement for what is clearly a major safety issue. Further research indicates that a significant number of Traverse owners have reported the same problem and service reps at both Chevrolet & GM said they were familiar with the issue but no recall has been issued from them. My case for cost reimbursement is still pending.

- New Albany, OH, USA

Oct 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

Driving on the freeway, suddenly several dings go off and a service stabilitrack light go off, with lights noting the malfunction light is off and that the stabilitrack is off. This was followed by a reduced engine power light, then a slow reduction in engine power to where I could not go over 35 mph, until I pulled over and repeatedly turned the car on and off. This has happened numerous times over the past year+ but by the time I made it back home the issue was fine. Until the past 2 weeks. It seems to be occurring more frequently, including today while I was driving on the road ( I drive a lot for work). Today it happen a total of 6 times. I have taken it in to my mechanic several weeks ago and they checked the sensors, cleaned them and thought we could see if that would work. It did not, he said the next step is a pricey replacement of the throttle body. I see that this is not included on the list of recall items for the 2010 Chevy Traverse. I have already had 2 this year. This is a dangerous issue, I was lucky to not be hit by the sudden decrease in engine power, each time this has happened. I know I am not the only one with this issue with the Traverse and I am wondering why this is not included in the recall items, as the seat belt issue was. I don't know if there have been any deaths from this issue, but honestly if there hasn't been it is only a matter of time. Driving a vehicle that sudden loses power on I-80, where the speed limit is 70 mph, with many semi trucks, and your vehicle speed drops down to 35 mph and you need to pull over is a safety hazard and needs to be recalled. I am currently looking into getting a different SUV, that I can drive myself and my family safely in. Please investigate this. Thank you.

- Burlington, IA, USA

Dec 152014

Traverse 6-cyl

Stabilitrak light comes on/off, message shows that stabilitrak/park assist are off randomly. Numerous complains for Chevrolet stabilitrak issues. Traverseforum.net, edmonds.com. Stability control is a federally mandated feature, the NHTSA should be vigorously researching these complaints.

- Roanoke, TX, USA