CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 092014

Traverse 6-cyl

Purchased car used 47011, a little over 2 wks "check engine"=fuel pump control module, next was seat assembly. & alternator...whining. Engine noise reported, nothing done...no problems detected at time due to problem being "intermittent"! contacted GM exec office reported issues, got file number--no resolution! received special coverage letter from Chevrolet dated Sept 2014 're: #14329 @ power steering pump with extension of warranty coverage. Took vehicle to chev dealership for two recalls (14030 & 14187) and check power steering...recalls handled, power steering pump replaced and installed new gear housing kit. One month later took back for state inspection, failed because now power steering rack leaking on both sides!!?! after reading several other similar accounts, I am convinced that the power steering pump and rack issues are contingent on the other...also hefty amount for repair $1500-1900; which I am also very concerned may just be a temporary fix!! we desperately need help correcting this injustice in lieu of safety concerns and being duped while investing in american-made products...please advise, research, and help us!! families and lives depend on it.

- Gloucester , VA, USA

Dec 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

Transmission seems like it slips when going from reverse to drive.

- Harlingen, TX, USA

Nov 262014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 65 mph, the transmission downshifted independently. The electronic stability control and traction control indicators illuminated continuously. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 84,161.

- Elk Grove Village , IL, USA

Sep 012014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated when driving on an incline, the transmission would shift from drive to reverse independently. Also, the contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer however, the dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer three times and each time, the dealer was not able to provide a diagnosis of the failure. The vehicle was taken to two additional mechanics. However, the technicians were also unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Shirley, NY, USA

May 092012

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering gives out, and the vehicle is hard to turn and steer. Makes it hard to park or drive at slow speeds.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Mar 052014

Traverse

You guys need to check out this website, I'm having the exact same problems as many listed here, and many who don't even look into this issue!!! something has to be wrong with the Traverse, and GM is picking out 1 at a time, and offering to fix the issues at a lesser charge (out of warranty). Please get someone to look into this. Our steering has been an issue, along with the electronic control module having been replaced 4 times!! wiring harness replaced, leaking power steering, and struts/mounts. After doing much research, I find so many people having the exact same issues!!! there has to be a problem somewhere, and many people unknowingly are paying full price for this unless they complain!!! I ended up paying $950 for a $4000 bill at the dealer after negotiating with GM. Something is wrong here folks!! forums.edmunds.com/discussion/14979/Chevrolet/Traverse/Chevy-Traverse-stabilitrak-traction-control-problems there are many other forums if you google this issue of other consumers with these issues!! with some losing power and dropping from 65mph on interstate to 20 mph within a matter of seconds!! I don't want this to happen to my family!!!!

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

Feb 222014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving my Chevy Traverse on a main road when it started making a loud noise, steering wheel got very stiff and it was hard for me to steer. I immediately tried making a left turn in order to pull into a residential block and out of harms way. It was really hard for me to try to drive my vehicle and get both me and my child out of harms way. Thankfully, I was able to park it in a safe spot and out of the way of on coming traffic. If I wouldn't have reacted quickly and used all of my strength to try to steer the vehicle it could've turned into a tragic accident. I was very afraid for both me and my child. GM/Chevy should place an immediate recall on this before someone gets hurt. Now my truck is in the shop and I am looking at a cost of $2100 for a power steering pump. I bought this vehicle thinking it was a safe crossover for my family.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Nov 092011

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the vehicle could only be removed from park in colder weather. There were no warning indicators lights illuminated. The problem recurred several times over the course of two years. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was not able to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 69,000.

- Watertown, SD, USA

Oct 162013

Traverse

The power steering gets stuck. I can't turn the steering wheel. The steering wheel has gotten stuck while turning at a light.

- Imperial, CA, USA

Jan 032013

Traverse 6-cyl

I bought this vehicle in October 2012. After driving for a while I noticed a funny sound coming from the steering wheel. I took it to for an oil change and was informed my power steering was leaking. I called the dealer and informed them of the issue. Due to having the vehicle over 30 days they would not repair it they stated I could use the extended warranty I purchased. I was not happy with the decision and they paid half of the deductible. So some months later I started having issues with turning corners and into my parking lot. The steering wheel would lock up and I had to use everything in me to turn the wheel. This is very concerning and scary. It is almost a year and I have had 2 recalls on this vehicle. The headlight has blown out. The interior lights have stopped working and I am not happy with this Chevy Traverse. I called Chevrolet customer service and they said before I talk with someone I have to take the truck to a dealer and have them diagnose the problem and I have to pay for the diagnosis. They also said that they are not aware of the problem and there is no warranty at this time for the power steering only for the 2 recalls. I think we should file a class action against Chevrolet. This is ridiculous that we are all having the same issues and there has not been a recall yet. Lives are at risk with these types of problems.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jan 242013

Traverse

Loud whining noise while turning, and occasional difficult turning period. Contatced Chevy dealership and they quoted $1000, repair when I explained the issue. Took to mechanic who flushed the power steering fluid but the issue persisted. I've seen numerous complaints about this issue on line, it has to be addressed by the manufacturer before someone is seriouly hurt or killed.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 082013

Traverse 6-cyl

Water pump replaced in March 2013, covered under warranty. HVAC actuator also replaced at this time. 2000 mile trip made after repair and upon return engine suffered catastrophic failure on April 2, 2013. Diagnosis catastrophic failure of the 3rd cylinder. Cause unknown. Occurred during morning commute on heavily trafficked highway. Children were in car when it stalled. Had to be pushed from center lane of traffic and then towed to dealer. One week after car returned from engine replacement, leak appeared in HVAC. Leak repaired and car retrieved April 29, 2013. A week to the day of the car being repaired, service stabilitrak system light came on. Power steering seemed non existent and check engine light appeared. This problem required replacement of internal mode switch, reprogramming of electronic control module and transmission control module. Car retrieved May 7, 2013. Car returned but steering wheel still difficult to turn and squeaks when in use. Problem seems to worsen with increasing temperatures. Additionally, radio will not always shut off after driver door opened. Service stated they could not reproduce problem but happens frequently to driver. 4 serious service requirements in two months for a 2.5 year old car with under 60K miles. Chevrolet certainly doesn't make a vehicle to last and this vehicle is certainly not a car to call safe or reliable.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jun 032010

Traverse

While stopped at a traffic light on hill or grade, the Traverse rolls backward when the brake pedal is released. The front wheel drive auto transmission does not hold the Traverse in place.

- Wooster, OH, USA