CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2.2

2010 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Mar 042015

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving around 40 mph several dtc codes appeared on the dic including stability service and engine power reduced. Vehicle speed reduced significantly (20-30mph) while in moving traffic and extremely bad weather conditions. Took vehicle to the dealer who reported codes of P0008 (timing chain stretched), P2610 (ECM faults) and P2101 or P1122 (not sure but dealer stated throttle body control error). Vehicle is under 5 years old (purchased in Aug 2010) and under 100,000 miles to timing chain and ECM were covered in full under GM warranty. Throttle body coverage was removed in 2009 (per what I've read on the internet) and was not covered. Dealer agreed to split cost (they covered labor, I paid for parts at dealer cost). Good deal on the warranty and dealership's honorable effort to fix my 2010 Chevy Traverse but there are many complaints about the timing chain and throttle body and lost power while driving in traffic. This is a serious safety issue and GM should recall all vehicles involved and not wait until there is injury or death involved.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

May 232013

Traverse 6-cyl

On the day of purchasing the vehicle, only seconds after signing the contract, I was told the vehicle could not be driven because of safety recalls. Had to wait three weeks before getting the vehicle I purchased, very nervous after that situation. Then after only having the vehicle approximately 8 months the power steering pump, water pump, and leaking hoses went out with over $1,500 in repairs. Three days after the second incident they called, after I brought the vehicle in for more business to get an oil change, tires rotated and a safety check, and they told me the tires were unsafe and they would not rotate the tires. They further stated that they would replace the tires for approximately $800. I am now on the fifth (5th) day without the family vehicle and very stressed. A 20 year veteran retired from the United States marines is asking for your support and assistance to make a bad deal right. Here is my statement on the last 9 months with dealing with prince Chevrolet of albany, 2701 ledo road, albany, ga 31707 and my breaking down lemon and vehicle. I am outraged that this is the type of customer service I am receiving from Chevy and I want out of the contract. I no longer want anything to do with Chevy or GMC. I hope to hear back from someone other than the local prince of albany staff, they are obviously giving me the run around. Thank you prince Chevrolet for not supporting your veterans and customers of Georgia with the right service. A great way to show the example of the rich stealing from the poor. I am not rich enough or powerful enough to hold prince Chevrolet of albany, 2701 ledo road, albany, ga 31707 accountable but ask that someone assist me so I can just get back to a normal life and Transport my family around safely.

- Leesburg, GA, USA

Feb 142015

Traverse 6-cyl

Was driving my Chevy Traverse at around 45mph when suddenly received vehicle notifications stating "service traction control service stabilitrac and reduced engine power." Immediately I was at a loss of engine power and was suddenly reduced to 15mph nearly being rear-ended. I had to vear off the road, shut the vehicle down, and then restart it only to make it another mile up the road before the symptoms occurred again. I was forced to repeat these steps 5 more times before making it to my destination. Upon investigation of this mechanical issue I've learned of hundreds of other consumers experiencing the same exact symptoms with not one providing a repair solution. Many have paid upwards of $500-$1000 in repair costs and are still experiencing the same problems. I have driven my vehicle twice since the first occurrence and each time experience the same symptoms. Am I to pay for dealer repair when it seems there is no proper solution? I now have a $20000 vehicle that I don't feel safe putting my family in, which is ironically why I purchased it in the first place. I suppose I am forced to have it serviced at my local dealer but am certainly not optimistic about the results. This vehicle is a death trap! recall this very dangerous problem before someone is seriously injured or killed.

- Chesterfield , MI, USA

Dec 302014

Traverse 6-cyl

Tdc P008 is tripped in vehicle. It says something is wrong with the timing. It just happens that this code showed up the day after I had recall work on the vehicle for seat belts and airbags. They also checked the water pump for leaks. The dealer said that it has nothing to do with work they did the day before.

- Two Rivers, WI, USA

Jan 062015

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the check engine warning light illuminated while driving at unknown speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the timing chain failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000. Updated 04/06/15 the consumer stated 2010 model year vehicles should be included in the special bulletin #11340. The vehicle was repaired at the owner's expense. Updated 11/3/2015

- Godfrey, IL, USA

Dec 092009

Traverse 6-cyl

I purchased our 2010 Traverse new in September of 2009. We have experienced the power steering failure and replacement 3 times. The power steering gear was replaced at 9500 miles, at 35,000 miles, and now it is out again at 48,000 miles. I have a check engine light that won't go off, now they are telling me my timing chain needs replaced based on the codes detected from the computer. I have tried to get GM, and or a local dealer to work with me on these on going issues, and they could care less.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Jan 082015

Traverse

My 2010 Traverse experienced a severe safety issue this morning. While driving approximately 65 mph, the traction control warning light illuminated and the engine speed was immediately reduced to approximately 15 mph. This occurred without warning and in heavy freeway traffic nearly causing my vehicle to be rear ended by several other cars. I turned on my hazard signal and managed to reach the road shoulder after traffic had cleared. After stopping for 10 minutes I restarted the vehicle in an attempt to drive to the closest dealer for service. After covering about 6 miles the same warning lights appeared and the vehicle speed was reduced again, but I manage to reach the dealership. At the Chevrolet dealer the vehicle was diagnosed that the throttle body had failed & needed to be replaced. The dealer service department stated that this was not a warranty item. I paid the significant cost for the repair myself and contacted both GM & Chevrolet division to notify them of the failure and ask for reimbursement for what is clearly a major safety issue. Further research indicates that a significant number of Traverse owners have reported the same problem and service reps at both Chevrolet & GM said they were familiar with the issue but no recall has been issued from them. My case for cost reimbursement is still pending.

- New Albany, OH, USA

Dec 172014

Traverse 6-cyl

Transmission slipped then vehicle surged ahead. Soon after while traveling 40 mph an alarm sounded with the message "traction control off" and "service stabilitrac / engine power reduced" and the vehicle slowed rapidly.

- Holland, MI, USA

Aug 292014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle went into power safe mode and stalled without warning. The dealer stated that the throttle body needed to be cleaned. The throttle body was cleaned, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and decided to replace the throttle body. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Clinton , OH, USA

Jul 152014

Traverse 4WD 6-cyl

July 2014 my Traverse had around 67,000 miles on it, and it had started overheating. We took it to a Chevrolet dealership and had the issue taken care of. We had also asked them to address the recalls that we had received notice on.one issue was fixed, and on the invoice they had made note that they would contact us when the other recall parts were in. For 2 months, no phone call from them.we had received no call that the parts were in.then the end of September while driving back from the coast, I heard a noise that sounded like a cap being clicked by a teen. Blamed my niece, but after reading the legal documents on the lawsuit, it had to have been the same thing. The next issue that would be what I consider the last straw with this vehicle.in the next day or so, it became hard to turn at low speeds.we checked steering fluid, and it was low but no where near empty.we added additional fluid and thought that was the fix.the steering issue continued to worsen.driving into work I needed to turn off the main hwy onto a St., during the morning rush hour.I was barely able to make the turn. It took all I could do to turn. Was very scary, and I was thankful that our children were not in the car.when I arrived to work, I was unable to pull into the parking lot of the office. I ended up having to park on the St due to being unable to effectively turn.we took the Traverse to a different Chevrolet dealership to find out that the pump, rack and pinion, strut and cv boot were failing. Found this to be very odd, most often a cv boot wears out on a vehicle with higher miles than the 70,000miles.cost to repair is at $2500, due to Chevrolet for the neglect. Now we are looking for a different vehicle and they only want to offer 14,000 trade in?a $40,000 vehicle worth near 1/4 of what we have paid for it in only 4 years.it is now worth nothing, but I'm upside down on an loan!

- Terrebonne , OR, USA

Oct 082014

Traverse

While at a stop sign our 2010 Traverse shut off. It powered down everything, it would start up again but would shut down several times again. My son was in the passenger seat and noticed when he pressed down on a certain spot on the passenger side floor the car shut off. We have our car at the Chevrolet place now and they were very skeptical until my son placed his foot on the spot and the car shut down right in front of them. They will be looking at the car Monday 10/13/14 to see what the problem is. This car in no longer under warranty, I would think this is Chevrolet problem with the Traverse. (?)

- Coppell, TX, USA

Sep 092013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the air bag sensor illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician cleared the code but the failure recurred. Also, the contact indicated that while traveling approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who indicated that the engine may need to be replaced. The technician stated that further diagnosis was required. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 302014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving and I heard the check engine alert (3 dings). The warning said service traction control service stabilitrak. After that, the car would take longer and I had to press a lot harder on the gas to accelerate. There are about 3 forums which all include complaints like this however the dealer is saying they will not recall the throttle body which is the part that they are replacing. The throttle body is also in several other GMC vehicles such as the acadia

- Schertz, TX, USA

May 152014

Traverse 6-cyl

Having hard steering at low speeds! have read many threads about this! also have had oil being sucked up into engine intake and burned into engine causing premature converter and O2 sensor failure! also have check engine light for P0008 due to crankshaft reluctor moving?

- Taylorsville, KY, USA

Jul 112013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the vehicle vibrated as the engine warning light illuminated. In addition, the vehicle stalled. The failure occurred on four different occasions. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fractured valve spring and the engine assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 57,300 and the current mileage was 57,330.

- Borchester, MA, USA

May 212014

Traverse 6-cyl

My car engine continues to run while the key is out of the ignition. This has happened several times, I have to put the key in and try turning the ignition off several times before the engine will actually shut down, after each incident this drains my battery and then my car requires to be jumped it also has takes several attempts to get the car running again and sometimes after this happens it puts my car in "limp" mode meaning the car will not shift out of second gear while driving it. I took the car back to the Chevy dealer (bob steele in cocoa fl) explained to them the issues and told them I have googled the issues as well and that lots of people are having the same problem with the engine still running while the key is in their hand and Chevy stated they never heard of this before. The dealer called and stated that it would cost me $200 to replace my ignition in my car which I did and that would fix the engine running issue and would fix the "limp" mode issue. The repair lasted a week and then I stopped to get gas and the car would not shut off again after several attempts of turning the key to the off position it finally shut down, after getting gas it took several attempts for the car to turn back on ( at this time it did not go into "limp" mode) I took the car directly back to the dealer who has had the car for four days now. I just recieved a call from the Chevy dealer stating it would now cost me $1200 to repair the fuse box and wiring that has some how become wet in my glove compartment.. again I stated that I am not the only person having this problem and that other people have also been told that they have water in their fuse box (which I assume should of been sealed properly to prevent this from happening)so I am now driving a car that refuses to shut off or can put itself into "limp" mode affecting the driving ability of the car.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Feb 112014

Traverse

Throttle body went out at 66000 K miles. Was told by dealership that the sensor on throttle body shorted out. At the point that it went out. Power to the engine was reduced and car immediately decelerated, almost causing an accident.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Dec 072013

Traverse

Driving to our work christmas party on the hwy then suddenly 3 chimes and "traction control off, service steadily track, engine power reduced" shows on dash board. We pull over to the nearest safe location. Turn the vehicle off for about 5 min. Then start again, we drive 5 miles then the exact same thing again. We end up having to pull over another 4 times before we reach our destination. Next daytook it in to Chevy dealership, charged me 100 diagnostic fee. Told me it was throttle body needed replacing, and sparkplugs and injectors needs changed. Total was going to be about $1200, I declined because I was told I had "bumper to bumper" extended warranty. Come to find out none of the repairs were covered by this "bumper to bumper" warranty. This is definitely a problem that is found on a lot of Chevy vehicles and needs to be taken care of. We spend so much money on these vehicles for Chevy not to accept there is obviously a safety concern here, and they need to be responsible.....first and last GM vehicle we will ever own for sure.

- Grandfield, OK, USA

Jan 182014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving on the expressway at a speed of 55mph when I heard a ding sound, my stabilitrak light came on and the dash board read "service stabilitrak". another ding sound was made and my dash board then read "engine reducing speed" and my SUV immediately began to reduce my speed to 25mph.. immediately had to get over to the side so that no other cars or trucks would crash into me.. I drove it for another week and the same thing happened again while pulling out of my parking lot. Took to dealer and behold they told me it was the throttle body the same that others online were told. And yes just as others have mentioned online, its not covered under the power train warranty although it reduces your engine power. Many have had the throttle body replaced only to have the same problem happen again a few months later. This is happening to numerous amounts of people that have GM cars, SUV's, and trucks. This can not be a coincidence that this many people have had the same scenario and problem happen to them. This is a very dangerous situation to be on an expressway and have your speed be reduce immediately. I had my kids in the car and even they were scared of what occurred. This is very dangerous when you have trucks and semi's driving behind you, they can not stop that fast. Does someone have to die in an accident before there is a recall on this matter??

- Westmont, IL, USA

Jan 062014

Traverse 6-cyl

This vehicle was taken to champion Chevrolet for a recall for a failing water pump seal. During that analysis, the power steering pump and rack assembly was found to be low on oil and with metal shavings in the pinion rack was near failure. The failure mode on this model and all Traverses, enclaves, and acadias is the ultimately steering lock and a probably crash. This is a definite recall item that should be finally determined by NHTSA for all years of this vehicle. The repair estimate is over $2600 as the entire front engine assembly has to be removed. Other owner experiences indicate that this repair is widespread in these GM models and is a serious safety issue.

- Sparks, NV, USA