CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2.2

2010 Chevrolet Traverse engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 032016

Traverse

I am writing because I have had this vehicle a little over 1 year and put less than 18,000 miles on it and yet it is constantly in the shop for costly repairs. I am currently wondering where drivetime sources these vehicles from because a used car should not have to be in the shop as much as my car is especially when drivetime's chosed extended warranty company aeverex only wants to pay for repairs that they deem fair to pay for which is a disadvantage for a buyer such as myself. I have consistently paid my note on time and got the run around for 2 weeks on the last repairs that aeverex took their time addressing. I don't mind making minor repairs like tires or maybe a hole in the muffler but to have to replace a timing chain within a week of the purchase and an engine flywheel and starter in barely a year of the purchase makes it seem as if these cars were broken down before being sold to unsuspecting customers such as myself by drivetime and their refusal to assist to the customers in their time of need makes it seem as if they were intentional on getting these damaged goods off of their hands. I am filing this formal complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration because this is an important issue as my car has stopped in the middle of oncoming highway traffic and I could have been killed. This vehicle is a true lemon and I only wished that I had done more research on drivetime before purchasing from them. I have had to replace wipers in the first month in addition to the timing chain and tires the next month, front brake lights, back brake lights, a flexplate, a flywheel, and multiple other repairs. Please respond and offer some type of assistance.

- Washington, DC, USA

Feb 232016

Traverse

The current mileage on my 2010 Traverse is 74K... driving down the highway at 60mph all of a sudden the traction stabilizer control/ABS lights come on the dashboard and the car started decelerating, down to 45 mph and more. While the gas petal was being pressed no acceleration would happen. Went to pull off to the side of the road to get out of harms way, and all of a sudden the acceleration came back. The remainder of my drive the traction stablizer control/ABS stayed on with no other acceleration problems, until I arrived to work. When backing out of a parking space the vehicle would not go in reverse, while giving it gas in reverse the vehicle continued to go forward. Put in park, waiting, then tried it again. The traction stabilizer control/ABS lights went off and I was able to reverse just fine. Over the pas few months the vehicle has experienced only with the traction stabilizer/ABS light indicators no other problems. We had taken it to the dealership and they find no codes. Could it be the sensor or now could it be the throttle body??

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Oct 152014

Traverse

On the highway doing around 65 mph, alarm chimes went off, display center showed "service stabilitrak", "service traction control", "engine power reduced". the car quickly decelerated to 10 mph and would not go any faster. Had to pull over and shut down. This was only one of the many times this has happened over the past year and a half. It has been in and out of the service center, diagnosed with 4 or 5 different issues, repaired 2 or 3 components all with the same outcome: The engine power reduced issue comes back. The dealer tells me it's a "new issue" every time so at this point I have no faith in their "fixes", I feel that when my wife, kids, or me are in the car I will eventually be in a horrific accident where we all die and hope that at least this message will come out then. GM has been sort of helpful but from my research/dealings with this issue (30+ hours), it seems like something that should have been recalled on several different model GM automobiles. I am at a loss. I haven't fixed the most recent issue ($700, transmission internal mode switch) in hopes that, using my own research/technical expertise, I can find the real issue behind these failures and not just what the "computer error codes" are pointing too. The irony in this "feature" is that, from my understanding, it goes into this engine power reduced mode for safety reasons so that you won't lose control of the car or other problem. Yet reducing the engine power on a busy highway or the pa turnpike where there is nowhere to safely pull over is the most dangerous problem of all. Notes for other consumers: So far the mechanic has flushed the throttle body (cleaned it), and replaced the timing belt. Taking to a different mechanic for a 2nd opinion on the most recent internal mode switch diagnosis.

- Bradford Woods, PA, USA

Dec 012015

Traverse

I was driving on highway going 70mph. Traction control/stabilitrak off came on dash along with park assist off. I felt the engine lose power and speed dropped to 25mph. I has to swerve and miss several cars from hitting me due to this reduce speed on the highway. Pressed on the peddle to speed up and the engine would not go past 1st gear ( well at least that's what it felt like) I had the car towed home. To afraid to drive. Took it to our shop and nothing was registered on the diagnostic code. Car seems fine now, just afraid to drive. Is there a recall for this?

- Covina, CA, USA

Nov 282015

Traverse

Stabilitrak/traction control/reduce engine power. While driving down interstate 75 North in tn on November 28, 2015 at approximately 10:30pm with my husband, 6 year old, and 3 year old; my 2010 Chevrolet Traverse suddenly dinged and then the flashed the following messages on my display: Stabilitrak, traction control, reduce engine power. This resulted in a rapid deceleration from about 75mph to about 25mph. We narrowly avoided being hit by a semi-truck behind us, as the car rapidly slows without brake lights notifying other drivers. Thankfully, the semi was able to quickly swerve into the left lane to avoid hitting us. We pulled over and shut down the engine. When we turned it back on, the warning lights were off and the car ran normally. This is an extremely dangerous situation, which appears to be quite common in numerous GM vehicles. I'm alarmed that NHTSA hasn't required a recall for this issue, which looks to be related to a throttle-body problem. I was able to locate a service alert from GM for this issue, so it appears that they are very aware of the problem.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Oct 232015

Traverse

My car could have gotten me killed. I was on my way to work, stopped at a stop sign and when I mashed the gas to go it said stability track off, motor reduced. My car literally was in the road with traffic coming. There was no way to turn it off. Another day I had to pull over on a four lane because it done the same and wouldn't go. This is so dangerous to anyone who has these Chevy Traverse.I have looked at many reviews and this is a big complaint out of hundreds of people on the same issue. It's a matter of time before someone is killed. It's not safe for an individual much less a family, because you never know when it's going to shut down. No shop can fix this problem. I've had new tires, sensor, and reset and it doesn't work. Please consider looking at all the reviews on these cars.

- Philadelphia, MS, USA

Jul 062015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 60 mph, an unknown warning light illuminated and the vehicle's speed reduced. The vehicle would not accelerate. The contact stated that the engine stalled and was able to restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was unknown hat needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Lexington, NC, USA

Mar 282015

Traverse

Truck was being driven on the freeway, driver accelerated to pass another vehicle and it acted as though it had run out of gas. It was pushed to the gas station and filled up with gas, then it wouldn't start and eventually the battery died. It was jump started and drove a few miles to the house with a knocking sound. Independent mechanic evaluated it and said the engine is blown. It had regular maintenance, without missing an oil change, all maintenance has always been done on this vehicle since it was bought brand new in June of 2010. There were three safety recalls, one including a gas tank issue, and although several messages were left on the "recall hotline", no return call was ever received. Mechanic says there is metal in the oil but the engine oil is not low.this vehicle is too new to have a blown engine. Help!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 082015

Traverse

My 2010 Traverse experienced a severe safety issue this morning. While driving approximately 65 mph, the traction control warning light illuminated and the engine speed was immediately reduced to approximately 15 mph. This occurred without warning and in heavy freeway traffic nearly causing my vehicle to be rear ended by several other cars. I turned on my hazard signal and managed to reach the road shoulder after traffic had cleared. After stopping for 10 minutes I restarted the vehicle in an attempt to drive to the closest dealer for service. After covering about 6 miles the same warning lights appeared and the vehicle speed was reduced again, but I manage to reach the dealership. At the Chevrolet dealer the vehicle was diagnosed that the throttle body had failed & needed to be replaced. The dealer service department stated that this was not a warranty item. I paid the significant cost for the repair myself and contacted both GM & Chevrolet division to notify them of the failure and ask for reimbursement for what is clearly a major safety issue. Further research indicates that a significant number of Traverse owners have reported the same problem and service reps at both Chevrolet & GM said they were familiar with the issue but no recall has been issued from them. My case for cost reimbursement is still pending.

- New Albany, OH, USA

Oct 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

Driving on the freeway, suddenly several dings go off and a service stabilitrack light go off, with lights noting the malfunction light is off and that the stabilitrack is off. This was followed by a reduced engine power light, then a slow reduction in engine power to where I could not go over 35 mph, until I pulled over and repeatedly turned the car on and off. This has happened numerous times over the past year+ but by the time I made it back home the issue was fine. Until the past 2 weeks. It seems to be occurring more frequently, including today while I was driving on the road ( I drive a lot for work). Today it happen a total of 6 times. I have taken it in to my mechanic several weeks ago and they checked the sensors, cleaned them and thought we could see if that would work. It did not, he said the next step is a pricey replacement of the throttle body. I see that this is not included on the list of recall items for the 2010 Chevy Traverse. I have already had 2 this year. This is a dangerous issue, I was lucky to not be hit by the sudden decrease in engine power, each time this has happened. I know I am not the only one with this issue with the Traverse and I am wondering why this is not included in the recall items, as the seat belt issue was. I don't know if there have been any deaths from this issue, but honestly if there hasn't been it is only a matter of time. Driving a vehicle that sudden loses power on I-80, where the speed limit is 70 mph, with many semi trucks, and your vehicle speed drops down to 35 mph and you need to pull over is a safety hazard and needs to be recalled. I am currently looking into getting a different SUV, that I can drive myself and my family safely in. Please investigate this. Thank you.

- Burlington, IA, USA

Jun 192014

Traverse 6-cyl

Was driving at 65 mph with cruise control on when we heard ding ding ding....service stabilitrac service traction control..traction control off.... when this happened the cruise control no longer would work.....this keeps happening ever so often...my car barely has over 50,000 miles on it...and naturally the warranty has expired /or it doesn't cover it....this could be a real safety hazard if there is a semi truck behind me when it shuts down.. at 50,000 miles a car that U pay 27,000$ for should not be having these kind of issues..not to mention all the other recalls we have had this year on this car.

- Madill, OK, USA

Jul 302014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving and I heard the check engine alert (3 dings). The warning said service traction control service stabilitrak. After that, the car would take longer and I had to press a lot harder on the gas to accelerate. There are about 3 forums which all include complaints like this however the dealer is saying they will not recall the throttle body which is the part that they are replacing. The throttle body is also in several other GMC vehicles such as the acadia

- Schertz, TX, USA

Sep 262013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph and attempting to pass another vehicle, the accelerator pedal became stuck in open throttle position. The contact pumped the brakes repeatedly and had to reach down to manually release the pedal with her hands. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection but they were unable to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired however, the failure was recurring. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- Knoxville, PA, USA

Dec 112013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the engine power reduce warning lamp illuminated as the vehicle decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Hawasse, AR, USA

Sep 132013

Traverse

When attempting to pass (at a normal speed & situation) accelerator sticks & continues speeding up until I slammed on brakes(which didn't stop me) & pulled the accelerator up at the same time, this has now occurred 5 times over the last 7 months, it is terrifying when it happens, I have 3 kids in the vehicle with me most of the time, then today when it happened right after it started working properly I lost power steering when I apply my brakes!! not impressed with this vehicle right now!

- Knoxville, PA, USA

Feb 182014

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving into parking lot, slowing down, the power steering failed and I was no longer able to steer the Traverse, unless I applied power (accelerated on the gas pedal). I brought the vehicle into the dealership. They diagnosed the problem as a leaking power steering pump and the rack and pinion was faulty, both which needed to be replaced (at significant cost, over $2,000).

- Deer Park, NY, USA

Jan 272014

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated his wife was driving approximately 55 mph, when vehicle stalled without warning and dropped down to 25 mph.. the vehicle was able to be driven to an authorized dealer where the contact was advised that the throttle body would need replacing. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 59,378. Updated 03/25/14 updated 03/27/13

- Bridgman, MI, USA

Feb 112014

Traverse

Throttle body went out at 66000 K miles. Was told by dealership that the sensor on throttle body shorted out. At the point that it went out. Power to the engine was reduced and car immediately decelerated, almost causing an accident.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Dec 072013

Traverse

Driving to our work christmas party on the hwy then suddenly 3 chimes and "traction control off, service steadily track, engine power reduced" shows on dash board. We pull over to the nearest safe location. Turn the vehicle off for about 5 min. Then start again, we drive 5 miles then the exact same thing again. We end up having to pull over another 4 times before we reach our destination. Next daytook it in to Chevy dealership, charged me 100 diagnostic fee. Told me it was throttle body needed replacing, and sparkplugs and injectors needs changed. Total was going to be about $1200, I declined because I was told I had "bumper to bumper" extended warranty. Come to find out none of the repairs were covered by this "bumper to bumper" warranty. This is definitely a problem that is found on a lot of Chevy vehicles and needs to be taken care of. We spend so much money on these vehicles for Chevy not to accept there is obviously a safety concern here, and they need to be responsible.....first and last GM vehicle we will ever own for sure.

- Grandfield, OK, USA

Jan 182014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving on the expressway at a speed of 55mph when I heard a ding sound, my stabilitrak light came on and the dash board read "service stabilitrak". another ding sound was made and my dash board then read "engine reducing speed" and my SUV immediately began to reduce my speed to 25mph.. immediately had to get over to the side so that no other cars or trucks would crash into me.. I drove it for another week and the same thing happened again while pulling out of my parking lot. Took to dealer and behold they told me it was the throttle body the same that others online were told. And yes just as others have mentioned online, its not covered under the power train warranty although it reduces your engine power. Many have had the throttle body replaced only to have the same problem happen again a few months later. This is happening to numerous amounts of people that have GM cars, SUV's, and trucks. This can not be a coincidence that this many people have had the same scenario and problem happen to them. This is a very dangerous situation to be on an expressway and have your speed be reduce immediately. I had my kids in the car and even they were scared of what occurred. This is very dangerous when you have trucks and semi's driving behind you, they can not stop that fast. Does someone have to die in an accident before there is a recall on this matter??

- Westmont, IL, USA