CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 4 of 14)

Sep 212014

Traverse 6-cyl

I bought this vehicle in 2012 and the steering column has always made a weird noise. In September of 2014 while driving with my 1 and 2 year old daughters in the vehicle the power steering went out altogether. I got the power steering pump replaced the following day. However, this was just a short, temporary fix (about a week). The steering column makes even a louder and greater noise but the power steering comes and goes. It is very stiff all of the time. Makes driving a real chore, especially when you live way out of time on curvy back roads. It's only a matter of time before an accident occurs because the steering will be fine for a minute then you go to turn and it vanishes and you have to pull on the steering wheel to get it to turn. This is not safe for myself, family, or others on the road. I see many others have had similar issues. I do not like the fact that I have to worry every time I get behind the wheel by myself or with my children in the car if I am going to make it somewhere safely. Please help me with this issue.

- Port Washington, OH, USA

May 012014

Traverse

2010 Chevrolet Traverse. Consumer writes in regards to air conditioner and power steering failure. The consumer also stated there was an issue with the power window and driver side seat.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the power steering intermittently failed while making a turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was not able to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Huntingburg, IN, USA

Sep 122011

Traverse 6-cyl

Lost power steering, took vehicle to dealer for repair but to this day it is still occurring this problem is so dangerous that I can't see how GM wouldn't recall to repair so I've been waiting because of the expense associated. It's just a matter of time before someone is killed from this nationwide problem.

- Hartford, WI, USA

Traverse

When traveling at low speed and attempting to make a turn I lose all power steering. Very difficult to keep control of the car. Problem lasts for about 3 seconds but very unnerving.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Sep 112014

Traverse

For the last several weeks the power steering has been going out intermittently while driving at slow speeds. It is dangerous and scary. We finally had to get the power steering pump replaced yesterday. This seems to have corrected the problem.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 102014

Traverse 6-cyl

We have been having trouble turning at slow speeds. Almost ran into another car head on because the car wouldn't turn. Ask our dealer service center and of course they said they never heard of anyone having problem. That we need a new power steering rack at $1400. Funny that this web site has tons. In today's world - where customer service should be top of the line it is at the bottom. No wonder people buy foreign cars.

- Duncannon, PA, USA

Traverse

Power steering gives out at low speeds. Took to Chevrolet dealer and they could not find any problems. This occurs frequently.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Jun 012014

Traverse

The steering gets extremely hard to turn on occasions. Potential for dangerous accidents.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 172014

Traverse

While traveling at low speed steering quits working causing car not to turn. At one point my wife almost hit a retaining wall with our kids. Sometimes it makes it hard to park and hard to turn in a parking lot.

- Valley Park, MO, USA

Mar 052014

Traverse 6-cyl

The Traverse has a serious problem with the steering, as in it does not turn(at all) at low speeds. The power steering will not work 90% of the time when turning at 10mph or lower. Getting out of a parking place is almost impossible if you are required to only pull out one way. The scariest instance for us was when we tried to pull into a turn lane across a five lane highway and the car wouldn't turn to straighten up in the turn lane. Luckily the other drivers stopped but that would have been a serious accident had they not. We have taken it in before to have it looked at and nothing was found. We are taking it to someone new next week.

- Mobile, AL, USA

May 062011

Traverse 6-cyl

The power steering goes out all the time when car is moving slowly.

- Woodland Park, CO, USA

Jan 152014

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering suddenly stopped working for couple of seconds. It's still keep continuing. I approached Chevrolet authorized service center and requested for service. They never found any issues on power steering and charged me $180 for diagnosing. Problem still happening while my car turning slowly, suddenly power steering will loose it's power and very hard to turn. It's really dangerous while turning can't turn the wheels..definitely it's going to hits some innocent people.

- Elkins Park, PA, USA

Jun 022014

Traverse

The power steering goes out when car is moving slowly.

- Cary, NC, USA

Aug 052013

Traverse

Power steering does not work at low RPM's.

- Parkersburg, IA, USA

Jun 172014

Traverse 6-cyl

The power steering stops working when slowing down and going into turns. The issue is more noticeable when turning into parking spaces, backing out of parking spaces. It occurs when the air conditioner is on. The dealership said it was the ac compressor and charged us $1200 to change it. The problem still exists. This is very dangerous because I start to turn into somewhere and the power steering stops working making it difficult to turn the wheel. Avoiding an accident would be impossible as the car steering is not responsive. Seems to occur more on hot days or after driving the car for a while. Dealership has of yet been able to fix the issue. Checking forums for the Traverse this seems to be a car defect that dealerships are having a hard time fixing.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Aug 132014

Traverse

At low speed while parking the power steering stops working.

- Beverly, WV, USA

May 262014

Traverse 6-cyl

The first incident occurred in late May. When turning a corner the steering became difficult to turn, and was even more difficult to return. I took the vehicle to the dealer in June. They had the car for eleven hours that day and performed some routine maintenance, but were unable to duplicate the issue. As we continued to drive the vehicle, the issue became more dangerous. The steering was becoming much more difficult to return to the straight position. I took the vehicle back to the dealer Aug 13. They informed me that the power steering pump was failing under load, and replaced it.

- Lexington, OH, USA

Aug 152012

Traverse 6-cyl

Whenever I pull in or out of a parking lot my steering is just like it has no power steering fluid this happens at a low speeds also turning a corner so that's why it is noticeable when I'm parking or at a corner.

- Mecosta, MI, USA

Jul 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

This car started having problems with making turns at slow speeds about a year ago. Has been getting worse, despite adding power steering fluid. Fluid not leaking. Have found many reports about this problem from others online. Have also found a class action lawsuit that has been started appx 1 year ago. I noticed that GM has recalled the Chevy Malibu for power steering problems, but not the Traverse. This is a very dangerous problem. I must have it fixed, but do not have the money to do it. Should be covered by GM. Is a defect with the design.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA