CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 9 of 14)

Apr 052014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the steering pump and rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 33,000.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Sep 102013

Traverse

I purchased a used 2010 Chevy Traverse in January 2013 and 6 months later heard a whining noise in the vehicle. Had a local Chevy dealer check the issue and they said there was a leak in the rack and pinion. Cost to fix was $1,600 and there was nothing the dealer would do to assist with costs because the warranty was expired. I could not spend that kind of money at that time and considering I just purchased the vehicle used 6 months prior it made me angry. I have yet to fix the problem and had it evaluated again by a different shop...same cost $1,600. Very frustrating!!! was this a recall in 2011" any ideas on what to do" I am looking for assistance to contact GM for covering this issue.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

The steering locks up when turning left or right at very low speeds such as when turning a corner or pulling into a parking space. I would have hoped by now GM would have issued a recall given the potentially dangerous implications of not being able to steer your car. Clearly, this is a known and growing issue.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Feb 072014

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering goes out intermittently at low rates of speed, while trying to make turns, can not turn the steering wheel when it does this, I have taken my Traverse to the local dealership 3 times but because it's out of warranty they want me to pay $1000 for parts plus labor charges to have the rack & pinion as well as the power steering pump fixed. I called GM directly 800-222-1020 and asked why so many complaints have been made but there hasn't been a recall issue & they said that people aren't reporting this issue through the dealership, so I suggest that if you have a Traverse with these problems you contact your local GM dealer asap!!!!! hopefully we can get some assistance with the prices of this!

- Boles, AR, USA

Apr 042014

Traverse 6-cyl

Loses power steering at very low speeds such as turning into parking spaces. Almost impossible to turn steering wheel. Power resumes when you accelerate.

- Three Rivers, MI, USA

Jan 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

Steering intermittently looses power causing steering wheel to jerk and making steering difficult. Vehicle then begins to veer out of lane. Power steering pump constantly "whines". manufacturer contacted stated not covered by warranty. Through internet research this is an extremely common problem with the Traverse vehicle.

- Elizabeth, PA, USA

Mar 072012

Traverse

When you try to steer the automobile it becomes no power steering.........impossible to turn the wheel at all........you must stop & keep trying to turn it......& sometimes you cannot turn when your moving....I am scared when it stops that I will hit someone head on.....very dangerous......my dealership is trying to charge me $1700 to repair what is GMC's faulty equipment....this is a detriment to anyone driving this Chevy Traverse....I have told them & they are stalling the repair...........waiting for a recall that you "GMC" are putting off..........I have revised my will to state that if I am killed in an automobile accident to look to the maker GMC of this car................it's time to fess up to the repairs that need to be done for the public safety of this Chevy Traverse.................I am 71 years old & you are responsible for your product........................................

- Hilliard, FL, USA

Apr 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

This is an update to my earlier complaint of intermittent sudden loss of power steering making turns at low speeds. I was able to reliably recreate the loss of power assist following this procedure: Finding an empty lot, turn vehicle and hold at slow speed (under 10mph) and continue in complete circles. Eventually, power assist will kick off and making any turns will require significant effort. Bringing the vehicle to higher speeds (25-35 mph) appears to reset. My vehicle is currently in shop for replacement of power steering pump as this was the dealership service department's diagnosis even though I informed them of the ability to induce vehicle as described above. I will update this complaint if power steering replacement does not correct issue.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Apr 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

While driving at slow speeds, going into and coming out of full turns (ie turning into parking spot), turning steering wheel becomes unacceptably difficult - sudden and unpredictable loss of power assisted steering while vehicle is in motion.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Feb 062014

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering goes out intermittently, primarily at low speeds. The vehicle can not be controlled for low speed steering, pump has been checked and dealer said it is electronic but not certain.

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Apr 252013

Traverse 6-cyl

Power steering fails in turns at low speed, or when trying to park. Can still "horse the wheel if sufficient strength and realize what is happening. Has steadily gotten worse (occurs more often), but I'm not fixing it till completely fails.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Nov 212013

Traverse

There is a recall for the same issue that 90% of the steering issues noted on this site is for but not for the Traverse. Here are the details. We need to call GM or the safety numbers and fight to get this fixed! this is clearly an issue. We were quoted 1700 to replace the rack and pinion. Lithia motors was terrible to work with. We bought the car on 11/21/2013 and noted the problem to them in less than a week after purchase and they told us they would take care of us. If I had known they wouldn't then I would have returned the car to them. I will never deal with them again and don't recommend it to anyone else! report receipt date: Mar 31, 2014 NHTSA campaign number: 14V153000 component(s): Steering potential number of units affected: 1,340,447 all products associated with this recall vehicle makemodelmodel year(s)chevroletcobalt2010chevrolethhr2009-2010chevroletmalibu2004-2006,2008-2009chevroletmalibu maxx2004-2006pontiacg62005-2006,2008-2009saturnaura2008-2009saturnion2004-2007 details General Motors llc (GM) is recalling certain model year 2004-2006 and 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu, 2004-2006 Malibu maxx, 2009-2010 HHR (non-turbo), 2010 cobalt, 2008-2009 Saturn aura and 2004-2007 ion, and 2005-2009 Pontiac G6. In the affected vehicles, there may be a sudden loss of electric power steering (eps) assist that could occur at any time while driving. Consequence: If power steering assist is lost, greater driver effort would be required to steer the vehicle at low speeds, increasing the risk of a crash. N otes: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration vehicle safety hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (tty 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

- Helena, MT, USA

Oct 092013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated while driving 10 mph, she tried to turn into a parking lot and the steering wheel locked. She had to use extreme force and turn the steering wheel in order to unlock it. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jan 152014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, there was an abnormal grinding noise heard whenever completing a turn. The dealer inspected the vehicle and stated that there was no defect with the vehicle. The failure recurred and the vehicle was taken back to the dealer, who then advised that the steering rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the dealer did not properly diagnose the vehicle until after the warranty had expired. The manufacture was made aware of the failure and declined to provide further assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 140.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Mar 052014

Traverse

You guys need to check out this website, I'm having the exact same problems as many listed here, and many who don't even look into this issue!!! something has to be wrong with the Traverse, and GM is picking out 1 at a time, and offering to fix the issues at a lesser charge (out of warranty). Please get someone to look into this. Our steering has been an issue, along with the electronic control module having been replaced 4 times!! wiring harness replaced, leaking power steering, and struts/mounts. After doing much research, I find so many people having the exact same issues!!! there has to be a problem somewhere, and many people unknowingly are paying full price for this unless they complain!!! I ended up paying $950 for a $4000 bill at the dealer after negotiating with GM. Something is wrong here folks!! forums.edmunds.com/discussion/14979/Chevrolet/Traverse/Chevy-Traverse-stabilitrak-traction-control-problems there are many other forums if you google this issue of other consumers with these issues!! with some losing power and dropping from 65mph on interstate to 20 mph within a matter of seconds!! I don't want this to happen to my family!!!!

- Grand Forks, ND, USA

Mar 202014

Traverse 6-cyl

On Sunday I noticed a reddish fluid under the front right corner of the vehicle that had leaked out onto the garage floor. On Thursday I took the vehicle in for regular maintenance and have the water pump recall taken care of and had mentioned to the service tech about the fluid I had noticed. The service tech called me later that day to inform me that the mechanic had found that the fluid was coming from the power steering pump and that the rack and pinion had to be replaced at a cost of $1400. The vehicle is just over 4 years old and to have this problem is unacceptable. In doing research into power steering failure on this particular Chevrolet vehicle, there are numerous consumers with the same issue related to the power steering components. The service tech said that this is a safety issue. If this is a recurring problem, a recall should be issued to have GM replace the power steering components before there are major accidents because of this. As of this writing, I'm waiting on a decision from the dealership to see if they would replace the power steering unit at GM's cost. Again, this is unacceptable.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 242014

Traverse

Power steering locks up when turning at slow speeds or parking. Very dangerous. See numerous people are having the same complaint.

- Seymour, IN, USA

Sep 132013

Traverse

When attempting to pass (at a normal speed & situation) accelerator sticks & continues speeding up until I slammed on brakes(which didn't stop me) & pulled the accelerator up at the same time, this has now occurred 5 times over the last 7 months, it is terrifying when it happens, I have 3 kids in the vehicle with me most of the time, then today when it happened right after it started working properly I lost power steering when I apply my brakes!! not impressed with this vehicle right now!

- Knoxville, PA, USA

Jan 212014

Traverse

From a stop, making a left turn, the power steering locked up making it very difficult to turn on a busy street. Power steering has locked up multiple times since purchasing on December 23, 2013. GM needs to address this serious problem before someone is killed.

- Fremont, IN, USA

Jan 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

Our 2010 Chevy Traverse had about 60,000 miles on it when it would be very, very hard to steer at slow speeds while parking and turning.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA