CarComplaints.com Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jun 072015

Traverse

I was making a right turn into a parking deck when the power steering went out. I stopped, and tried to turn the steering wheel to the left. This way was hard to turn also. The power steering resumed there after, however, hard steering occurred again several times when I slowed to make right turns.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

May 012015

Traverse

I just recently purchased this 2011 Chevy Traverse last night from the dealer. My first time buying a used vehicle. Within 3 months, my heat stopped working in my vehicle. I purchased the vehicle at 40,000 miles. Brought it to the dealer, and asked if there was anything they can do as I just purchased this vehicle not too long ago, and they stated there wasnt any recall. I would have to pay out of pocket to have this fixed. Just recently this month I have been having an issue with a whining noise when I am driving, and when I am turning the wheel. I took my vehicle to a mechanic and they filed all of my fluids, including power steering which was low. Found out that I have a leak. I started doing some research on this, and found out that all of the 2011 Chevy Traverse vehicles had this same issue. I am going to contact the dealer today to see what they can do, as I didnt purchase an extended warranty with this vehicle. Should this not be something that is covered under Chevrolet if the majority of these vehicles are having this same issue?

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Mar 012015

Traverse

Noticed leak on garage floor. Determined power steering rack was leaking. Brought to dealer. They confirmed steering rack was defective, but not covered under warranty. Could have caused loss of steering. Rack should not have failed so soon. Chevy should reimburse customers at least for cost of part and issue service bulletin. Should not have to wait for fatality or crash before action is taken.

- Sheridan, IL, USA

May 072015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer because of a grinding noise emerging from the engine every time a turn was made. The technician diagnosed that the power steering unit was faulty and needed replacement. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,300. Updated 09/18/15

- Richfield, MN, USA

Jun 062014

Traverse 6-cyl

Purchased a used Chevy Traverse that now has 57,000 miles. During a service appointment the dealership informed me that the power steering fluid was leaking from the steering gear. The repair was estimated at $1,600 usd. The repair is necessary to maintain the vehicle in a safe working order but im disappointed that im having to pay for a very expensive repair on a relatively new vehicle. Numerous consumers are experiencing the same issue, I would hope that Chevy would investigate the situation in more detail and offer to cover the cost of the repairs. I did notice a technical service bulletin on the issue (service bulletin 361329, action number: 10052379), but the existence of the service bulletin still resulted in me having to pay the full cost of the repair at the dealership. I believe that there is a problem that Chevy needs to take ownership for the situation. My biggest concern is the possibility of experienced steering failure while driving 55+ mile per hour with no warning. I have small children and we live in a very busy commuting area. Steering failure could be tragic for us. Please help

- Camp Springs, MD, USA

Jan 032011

Traverse 6-cyl

My wife and I purchased a brand new Chevrolet Traverse "11 in 2010 at a local Chevrolet dealer in Maryland. Almost immediately after purchasing the vehicle we noticed a whining noise in the steering at slow speeds. We brought in the Traverse to the dealership service center numerous times for the steering issue and complained about it every time we brought the Traverse in for oil changes. We were told two different responses, either they could not reproduce the issue or that it was normal and the sound would happen when the weather changes. Years later the problems with the steering seemed to get worse. Last month, after all these years and after the warranty period, they actually took the time to discover that there was indeed an issue with our steering and it was caused by a leak. They wanted to charge $1800 dollars to fix it. I told the gentleman we complained about this issue for years and now after the warranty, you took the time to find the issue. They charged me $85 to fill up the power steering fluid. I declined having the repairs being done and took my car over to a trusted mechanic. They also told me the steering issue has been going in the Chevy Traverse 2011 since it first came out and there has been numerous service announcements about the issue. The mechanic printed out the technical service bulletin 10-02-32-002A and recommended me contacting Chevrolet. I feel disappointed that we reported a problem with our vehicle that should have been fixed years ago during our warranty period. Currently the Traverse is having issues with the steering with fluid dripping in our driveway. I don"T feel safe having my wife drive our two and four year old children in the vehicle with the steering issue. I really put my trust in our local Chevrolet dealership to service our vehicle and I feel they have neglected to address the steering problems with our Traverse.

- Lutherville, MD, USA

Apr 292015

Traverse

Complete failure of the power steering system in my 2011 Traverse due to a leak. Problem is definitely a safety issue and should be addressed by GM. They have addressed a problem with the pump but when other parts in the system fail due to leakage, I think that consumers have a right to be concerned. Based on the high level of complaints waged by owners, the problems with power steering systems in GM's Traverse, acadia, enclave and outlook family seems to be wide-spread. GM should hold itself accountable for the inherent defects and, if not, perhaps the NHTSA can make some headway.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Apr 282015

Traverse

Took car for emissions test and found that my rack and pinion was leaking. Service guy said I could lose control on the road. This is a huge hazard not only to myself and children but other people. There are thousands of complaints against GM and this faulty part! issue a recall immediately!

- Aldie, VA, USA

Apr 282015

Traverse 6-cyl

I purchased a new Chevy Traverse that now has 55,000 miles. During today's service appointment the dealership informed me that the power steering fluid was leaking from the steering gear. The repair was estimated at $1,600 usd. The repair is necessary to maintain the vehicle in a safe working order but I"M disappointed that I"M having to pay for a very expensive repair on a relatively new vehicle. Numerous consumers are experiencing the same issue, I would hope that Chevy would investigate the situation in more detail and offer to cover the cost of the repairs. I did notice a technical service bulletin on the issue (service bulletin 361329, action number: 10052379), but the existence of the service bulletin still resulted in me having to pay the full cost of the repair at the dealership. I believe that there is a problem that Chevy needs to take ownership for the situation.

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Apr 022015

Traverse 6-cyl

Steering became difficult when driving. My 2011 Chevy Traverse was brought to dealer, diagnosed failure of power steering pump and rack and pinion. Was informed that Chevy would only cover power steering pump under separate extended warranty issued by GM and that rack and pinion is not covered and I would need to pay full cost of replacement. Steering issues appear to be an issue with the vehicle, this is a major safety concern that needs to be addressed. GM should be required to extend warranty for entire steering system.

- Melville, NY, USA

Mar 172015

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving around 55mph when I noticed my steering becoming very tight so I pulled off the road. When I pulled off the road and tried to turn into a parking place, my steering was very tight and I had a hard time turning. I was worried that there was a leak with my power steering fluid so I had my local garage check it, the power steering fluid was full. When I started to research the problem, I am finding that this is a very common problem with this year/make/model and wonder why there has not been a recall issued? my next step is to contact my local dealership, I have seen some quote the repair expense up into the thousands..

- Glade Spring, VA, USA

Apr 012015

Traverse

My vehicle started making a whiring sound while I was sitting still at a red light or stop sign. When I turned the steering wheel, the noise got louder, but it did not get tighter. I took it to the dealer and was told that my rack and pinion steering was bad and had to be replaced. Apparently the vehicle was leaking fluid which was causing the noise. I was told that it would cause me $1100 - $1200 to be repaired because it is not covered under my powertrain warranty. The steering pump is covered under a special warranty and can be repaired without any cost. My car is only 4 years old, I brought it brand new and have taken great car of it. I should not be having these types of problems so soon. I bought this vehicle because I thought it was a dependable car, but apparently I was wrong. This is a safety issue and can cause serious injury in the future. I am not happy with this problem and GM should be ashamed for selling vehicles that are not safe.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Mar 242015

Traverse 4WD 6-cyl

I began experiencing a whirring noise when I would steer my car. Then one day last week as I was driving the steering became difficult and it felt like something happened with the power steering. I took my vehicle in to the dealer for service to find that there was a special warranty on the power steering pump and that it would be replaced under that warranty at no charge but due to the steering pump failing the steering gear went out and had to be replaced which was not covered under the "special" warranty and I would have to cover the cost of this myself to the tune of $1157.62. The issue I have is that although I can afford to fix my vehicle, which I did pay to fix, I find that this is a recurring issue amoungst many consumers who own any of the vehicles on the lambda line which inlcudes GMC acadia, Chevy Traverse, Buick enclave and Saturn outlook. This is not issue of cost to repair, this is an issue of safety that the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge and will not fix under recall. I am happy I found my problem before I was traveling at a high rate of speed and no one was injured.

- Quincy, IL, USA

Nov 162013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving approximately 60 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the service air bag warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that an unknown part of the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 36,020.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Oct 102012

Traverse 6-cyl

I was purchasing the vehicle and told that I could not pick it up due to a faulty rack and pinion that they needed to replace. Now 30,000 miles later the rack and pinion has failed again and has to be replaced making this the 3rd rack in pinion in this car which is a safety issue. They are also stating front struts are now leaking. They found this faulty rack and pinion when I took the car in for low coolant levels and the water pump needing replaced under the extended warranty watch.

- South Wiliamsport , PA, USA

Feb 092015

Traverse 6-cyl

When driving my Traverse at low speeds around 5 mph while trying to park, my steering gets very tight and it is extremely difficult to make the turn into a parking spot. In addition the vehicle is making a whining noise. We checked the power steering fluid and it is at the correct levels. I took it to my local repair man and they stated that the power steering pump was bad and needed to be replaced. I then contacted my local Chevy dealership to see if this was covered under my manufactures warranty and he stated that it was no longer covered and the warranty ran out at 3 years or 36,000 miles which ever come first. To make matters worse, when I spoke with the dealership, I was never informed about the service bulletin released in December 2014. I was informed by the dealer that it would cost between $1000-$1500 to replace the power steering pump. My local repair man had quoted me around $750. Therefore, I paid him to repair my vehicle because I didn't have that much money available for the dealer to do the repair and was very concerned with driving the vehicle under these conditions. When I returned to pick up my car I found out that the rack & pinion is leaking and will need to be replaced also! these issues seem to be an ongoing problem with this vehicle and I believe it poses a big issue especially if I am driving with my children in the car and my steering goes out. GMC needs to get on the ball and recall this before it kills someone!!!

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Feb 012015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that a spark plug needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Natchitoches, LA, USA

Feb 062015

Traverse 6-cyl

Have noticed steering being stiff a low speeds for about 2 weeks, and once had it go stiff while driving around 55 mph which was startling to say the least. This morning heard a whine coming from under the hood. Took the vehicle in to the dealer who said that fluid had leaked out from the rack and caused the power assist pump to run dry and go bad. Dealer says both the rack and the pump need to be replaced at a cost of $2,200, and said that the pump is not covered under GM's steering service bulletin 377272. GM has had plenty of complaints over these faulty parts and fluid, and must take responsibility for putting people's lives at risk with a defective product.

- Beaufort, NC, USA

Jan 022012

Traverse

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel seized and there was a loud abnormal noise. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who diagnosed that the steering gearbox needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Glen Rose, TX, USA

Dec 102014

Traverse 6-cyl

When in reverse the steering wheel became extremely tight. It was making a screeching noise as the wheel turned. It became difficult to reverse out of driveway. On another incident, I was reversing out of a parking space and experienced same problem. Calling dealership tomorrow, scared to drive with my family.

- Hartford, CT, USA