Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: There are a fair-number of power steering related complaints which is a continuation of problems from the previous model year. Considering the problem tends to happen beyond the standard warranty (73k+) it's best to avoid this vehicle or at least be prepared for the $1,300+ repair.

2011 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chevrolet Traverse:

2011 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Apr 162013

Traverse 6-cyl

Vehicle intermittently loses power steering. So far this only has occurred at low speed. I have had it to the dealer 4 times and am going again this week. They have replaced ps pump and rack and belts. Problem still persists.

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Jun 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

The power steering in my 2011 Chevy Traverse fails frequently when turning into streets, parking lots or driveways. The steering locks up and is hard to navigate turns almost causing accidents. I have safety concerns which puts my entire family at risk. I took vehicle to dealership and they claimed that it was the rack and pinion that was worn per the repair order which I paid $1600 to fix. Once I took the vehicle home, the same problem was still occurring. Very frustrated that the repair did not correct the problem. I returned the vehicle to the dealership where now they told me that the vehicle needed a new power steering pump. It was replaced and billed to GM as a "goodwill" repair order of $700. There is clearly a defect in the steering and hope that GM extends and issues a recall for the 2011 Traverse before a serious accident occurs. I do not feel safe in this vehicle even after the repair.

- Great Valley, NY, USA

Jun 022014

Letter from congressman ribble on behalf of constituent re 2011 Chevrolet Traverse ( attn: Kerry niemcek). The consumer stated the power steering pump and rack and pinion malfunctioned during operation.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

Stopped at a sharp carve had to manually turn the wheel. Done this 3 times before I made it home. Does not have a problem in average curves just when making a sharp turn. Parking was a major issue.

- Cedar Bluff, VA, USA

May 012014

Traverse 6-cyl

2011 Chevrolet Traverse. Consumer writes in regards to power steering issues. The dealer informed the consumer, the fluid was low, because the steering gear was leaking.

- Allendale, MI, USA

Apr 152014

Traverse 6-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Chevrolet Traverse AWD in April 2014 and within the first week I noticed a slight shuddering in my steering as I would make a turn to either my right or left. It feels like when you have a warped rotor except that when this shuddering occurs I am not applying the brakes. Also, I have been noticing a whining noise as I am making turns in either direction. This is definitely coming from the power steering pump. I checked and added steering fluid and the next day this still continued. Vehicle is just out of warranty for the in-service date but not for the 30,000 mile bumper. I have a friend who also is experiencing the same issue with his Chevrolet Traverse and wish that GM would do a recall on this vehicle system before an accident occurs. From what I have read, there has been far too many complaints from other consumers concerning this same power steering issue.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Apr 022013

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph in reverse, the power steering assist malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to become difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where repairs were made that were unknown to the contact. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Dec 262013

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the power steering pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 48,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Centralia, IL, USA

Apr 132014

Traverse 6-cyl

My wife bought a new 2011 Chevy Traverse which now has 78,572 miles on it. The power sterling just failed on it yesterday. I checked the fluid level and it was ok. The pump growls when turning and it is almost impossible to turn when the car is idling. I drove it to church this morning and almost hit a parked vehicle while trying to turn into a parking spot. My wife would not be able to turn the vehicle if she were driving. This is a real safety issue since the pump fails with no warning. I know this won't be covered under warranty, but is there a recall for this problem yet?

- Mount Pleasant, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

My vehicle has had a whining noise when steering. It also feels "loose" as if I'm not in complete control of the steering. I took the vehicle to the dealership and the service advisor stated that this is a very common problem and the steering could likely get worse if not serviced. He also stated that this is not an isolated incident and is very common. I have heard reports of owners of the same vehicles having lost control of steering. I have a three year old daughter and safety was a major factor in purchasing this vehicle. I do not feel safe knowing that this problem exists. I had the vehicle repaired at my own expense. General Motors does have a bulletin on this problem so they are aware of the issue. However, I believe that the government should investigate as their might be consumers out there that are not aware of this safety issue. They may think that it is just a simple squeak and not as severe as I was made aware. Thank you

- Allen Park, MI, USA

Mar 252014

Traverse 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, she turned the steering wheel to the right and heard a whining noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. Updated 09/16/14

- Joppa, MD, USA

Mar 152014

Traverse 6-cyl

Exiting the highway onto the off ramp of a rest area, the car had complete loss of power steering as I decelerated. It felt like the car powered off, but I realized it was still running once I brought the car to a stop. Had to turn off car and re-start to regain power steering.

- Endwell, NY, USA

Mar 082014

Traverse 6-cyl

On March 8, 2014, (2011 Chevy Traverse) I was turning right into a restaurant when my power steering went out. It took all of my strength and my 20 yr old son (passenger) to turn the wheel to get off the road. We almost went into the guardrail and could have very well been plowed into from the car behind us. In parking lot we checked steering fluid & added some. On way to our house about 2 hours later it happened again when I made a left turn. This time I went off the road a bit, inches away from hedges & someone's lawn. Very dangerous. Took it to Chevy dealership who wanted over $1,800 to fix the power steering pump and rack & pinion. Of course it was not under warranty!!! I ended up taking it to a private shop and paid $1,470. I agree that there should be a recall and we should get our money back. If you research this like I have done...there are a lot of people out there with the same problem. Hope all of you file a compliant to force a recall !!!!

- Mckees Rocks, PA, USA

Nov 292013

Heard a noise in November 2013 but just once and didn't hear it again till January 2014 only when turning wheel. I thought I was imagining it cause nobody else noticed it when I was trying to have it checked. Fluids where fine, no warning indicators. Finally in March 2014 heard it again and starting researching what it could be. Found a technical service bulletin about the steering problem. I contacted Chevrolet about this since my car was out of warranty and they said it had to be diagnosed by a Chevy dealership, so I scheduled to have it diagnosed. Dealership said it is the power steering and that it has to be replaced. I asked what caused it and they said it is a design flaw and that they have seen it in the acadia, terrain and Traverse vehicles. I called Chevrolet back and reported the dealership findings and they are supposed to contact me with a solution on how they can help me with the repair since this is a design flaw and not something I caused.

- Carrizo Springs, TX, USA

Feb 282014

Traverse 6-cyl

Our 2011 Traverse has experienced no power steering at low speeds which has now resulted in no power steering at all.. my wife drives this vehicle every day with our children, she has had several close calls due to the fact of no power steering. While checking into the issue, I noticed that there are alot of individuals experiencing the same exact problem. This is not a convenience issue this is a huge safety issue!!! I can not believe nothing has been done about this yet, I have purchased several Chevrolet/GM products and currently own 4 different vehicle made by this company, I know there is a lot of people in the same boat as I am. There is no need for an accident or something worse to happen before this gets resolved.

- Clare, MI, USA

Mar 242014

Traverse 6-cyl

My issue started when I was making left hand turns it would sound like the engine would make a loud noise with some grinding noise. Then it started happening with right hand turns as well. Took it to the dealership today and they believe that it is the transmission. After doing some research I found alot of similar issues. This needs to be fixed by GM. I am curious to see how this is handled by GM and the dealership. Basically it should be a no brainer, the vehicle is 4 years old, transmission should not go out that fast. Already filed a complaint and contacting GM this afternoon as well. I have a feeling this is going to be a fight. Below are other issues reported to NHTSA, I stopped looking after page 3 took car in for odd noise in steering. Was told pump was bad and seal was bad. Appears that this is a common issue with this type of vehicle and no recall has been made. Its not just one or two cars, after research is hundreds of cars. NHTSA id number: 10567931 loud whining sound coming from front end. When turning steering wheel slowly you can hear a loud scratching noise. Bought the car brand new and only have 17K miles in 3 years. Entire steering column had to be replaced. Power steering fluid leaking. NHTSA id number: 10566861 TL* the contact owns a 2011 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that there was an abnormal vibration in the steering wheel when turning in either direction. The contact also indicated that the vehicle was stationary. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the power steering fluid and pump were replaced but the failure was not remedied. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 20,000. NHTSA id number: 10555889 power steering has issues at low speeds when turning. Dealer cost to replace pump and gear is 2,500! NHTSA id number: 10520885.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 212014

Traverse 6-cyl

My check engine light came on Wednesday, March 19, 2014. On Friday morning, while driving to work, my car accelerated and then slowed down; going from approximately 70 mph to 15 mph. When I took it to the dealer they called me back and said the throttle body had gone bad and had to be replace. I was told by several other people that a throttle body should not be going bad this early in a car; as a matter if fact I have drive several cars well over 100,000 miles and never had a problem with the throttle body. This needs to be a recall because this is a family vehicle and many people are transporting precious family cargo. A car should not forcibly be decreasing from 70 to 15 mph. Having a bad crash is an understatement. Also the air conditioning has already had to be checked. This vehicle is putting a bad taste in my mouth. Anymore problems and it will get traded in. I will not get another Chevrolet for sure.

- Lyman, SC, USA

Jan 312014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving my car and attempting to turn right. All of a sudden the power steering failed and I almost was hit by a car going because I wasn't able to turn into the right hand lane. Because the steering wheel barely moved, the car instead of making the right, romped over on the divider.this happened 3 more times before it had to be towed. This happened when car was literally just at 37 months, one month out of the bumper to bumper warranty. I ended up paying a great deal for this repair.

- Plainsboro, NJ, USA

Mar 072014

Traverse 6-cyl

I was driving my car and attempting to turn onto a busy street. All of a sudden the power steering failed and I almost was hit by a car going 35 miles because I wasn't able to turn into the right hand lane. Because the steering wheel barely moved, I turned into the left lane of the street. This happened 3 more times before I brought the car to the shop. It seems this problem is occurring in many Chevrolet Traverses (as seen by the number of complaints about this issue and the class action lawsuit, aguilar V. General Motors). I had to pay the dealership to fix my car and pay for a rental car while it was getting fixed. I am worried this problem will continue as it has in multiple Chevrolet Traverses manufactured in the same year. I believe my car is extremely unsafe for my family to be in and believe there should be a recall to fully fix this power steering issue.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Aug 012013

Traverse 6-cyl

Took car in for odd noise in steering. Was told pump was bad and seal was bad. Appears that this is a common issue with this type of vehicle and no recall has been made. Its not just one or two cars, after research is hundreds of cars.

- Montgomery, IL, USA