Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2015 model year is the first of the sedan's 2nd generation. Maybe they should have stuck with the 1st generation.

2015 Chrysler 200 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chrysler 200:

2015 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Sep 132015

I was on my way home from work when at a red light my check engine light goes on, transmission and park break service lights go on and as the light turned green my car did not accelerate. I put my car on park turned my emergency lights and then shifted to drive. My car then kept changing shifts. As an attempt to get my car home which is only 7 min from work I drove it slowly and every stop I made my car would take at least 2-3 minutes to accelerate. As I arrived home the steering wheel got hard and displayed a warning to put emergency break to prevent from then displayed service transmission, service park break, service engine. The next day I took my car to the dealership but was told nothing about a recall for my car.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Aug 312015

My car jerks and/or hesitates while driving. From a complete stop position my car has sputtered without going any place. I would have to turn off my vehicle in the middle of the road and turn it back on so I can get it to go. I have a rattling sound coming from the engine compartment and you can hear it clearly coming from the passenger side with the windows down. A brand new car and it has a lot of tranny issues. The 9 speed automatic is the worst design with major flaws. Chrysler doesn't do anything unless it throws a code. 15 times in the repair shop and it is still there with the same issue that no tech can figure out. Please someone do something about this. The buyback program they offer is a sham don't believe them.

- West Haven , CT, USA

Sep 022015

Transmission failure it was replaced once and went again so less than 20K miles and it went through 2 transmissions. I feel very unsafe and refuse to drive the car after the last incident. A/C froze up had to replace carpet in vehicle 2X I have had a rental car for the last 2 months while it was being repaired. Transmission failed going up hill 70 mph in pa with semi-truck behind me who almost rear ended me the vehicle shut off and I lost all power including power steering. I slowed down at 15 mph the car went into park and the E-brake went on and jerked us all over the car.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

May 072015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving at an unknown speed with the cruise control activated, the vehicle rapidly shifted from 8th to 7th, then back to 8th,7th, 6th, and down to 4th gear, all within ten seconds. On another occasion, while driving approximately 20 mph, the accelerator pedal was released and the vehicle accelerated independently. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 8,500. Updated 11/06/15

- Coshocton , OH, USA

Mar 182015

Driving down highway car just shuts off and are stuck in middle of road, car wont restart and have to wait 15min then it will restart. You can not push car off road. Have contacted Chrysler after 4 times to dealer ship for same problem and have been told can't duplicate or don't know what is wrong with it. Chrysler has opened up 2 cases and still no resolution. They declined to buyout the vehicle or replacement. I get same story, bring it in for service and we are sorry. No you will be sorry when my wife and kids are injured in this defective car. There has been numerous time of broken down on road and having dump truck or 18 wheelers dodging my car to avoid accidents. They have replaced computer, transmission parts and sensors. I truly believe it will never be fixed. Need to get the word out and Chrysler needs to be held responsible. I urge everyone to avoid these cars, unsafe and accident waiting to happen and dealership and Chrysler does not care!!!

- Brownsmills, NJ, USA

Aug 282015

I was stopped at stop sign when I took foot off brake pedal to accelerate it couldn't get traction with back tiers it felt like the back right tire locked up and it jerked back and forth until I took foot off accelerator. I stopped but couldn't see anything wrong. This happened on 8-28-15. On 8-29-15 was in a drive thru and when car is in park and I put in drive it makes a clicking sound from engine and car jerks somewhat with my foot on the brake. I have noticed that when I accelerate it hesitates to go. I am very concerned about this problem because I am almost scared to drive it because of the hesitation to go, and could cause a wreck if the tire thing happens again.

- Cordele, GA, USA

Sep 112014

2015 Chrysler 200 rented from enterprise rac in dallas, tx. 2.4L four-cylinder/9-speed automatic transmission. Vehicle traveling at steady 55-60 mph on a controlled-access toll road. I began accelerating to approx. 65 mph to pass a vehicle ahead, triggering a downshift. I then determined traffic conditions were not favorable to pass, so I reduced pressure on the accelerator pedal to slow down; however, the vehicle continued to accelerate in passing gear for several seconds after I removed my foot from the accelerator pedal before slowing. I was able to duplicate this situation several times at speeds between 55-75 mph, and each time it took the car between 4-7 seconds after removing my foot from the accelerator for the vehicle to stop accelerating and begin to slow.

- Corrales, NM, USA

Aug 202015

Loss of speed& shaking of car as it slowed down & showed to put it P & start. Happened also at 30 miles an hour in parking lot, then ran ok 5 miles to dealership. Fear to take it any where.

- Auburn Hills, MI, USA

Aug 082015

My wife was driving home and the engine suddenly stopped without any warning. The electrical system continued to run, but no engine. The service engine light and battery light came on. She managed to get the car to the side of the road. She waited about 10 minutes and was able to restart the car and drive home ( about 10 miles). I drove the car to work and back ( about 24 miles round trip ) the next day without any problems. I drove the car the next day to work and it happened two times to me before I got to work. I called the dealer to have it towed in. I had done some research online to see if there were any other complaints when I found this website. I saw a complaint from someone in lakewood California that listed a recall #, (14113 RO1 recall wc 0.50 to reprogram the PCM (power control module) and the tcm (trans control module)) so when we took the car to the dealer I gave them this information. They had the car 5 days and test drove it several times. They said they did the reprogramming and also secured a wiring harness ( which was also mentioned in several complaints) along with a couple of other updates that were covered under the warranty. We have the car back now, time and miles will tell if this was the solution or not.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Jul 022015

Vehicle shut off while driving approx. 40 mph. Vehicle started blinking put car in park, service transmission, service park break. Then, it shut off on its own. All gears locked up and car would not restart. I was a sitting duck in the roadway. This has happened X2, July 2nd, 2015 and August 10th, 2015. Had it towed both times. First time Chrysler dealer stated they replaced tcm. This second time they are stating the car is reading multiple codes and they don't know what to fix.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Jun 092015

When I am driving my whole panel turns off and on, I go to take off and it hesiate a few seconds than goes, it does it at stop lights and while on the highway in traffic, brakes make a real loud noise I leave it park most of the time I am at 6320 mile I bought it in April 17, 2015 I should be over 10,000 mile but I am afraid to drive

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 202015

When using cruise control it will not hold speed going down hill - will shift down more than once & will go up to 60+ miles per hour. Going over a small hill will shift down more than once usually - not all the time. This has been flashed several times with no change to the problem. When first starting the car the tach stays very high & will decrease as you shift into reverse, but not enough. Have to hold your foot on the brake all the time. When leaving from a stop sign the transmission will not go "in" right away - it takes a bit to actually "go".. as you're pulling onto a highway.

- Monroe, WI, USA

Jul 132015

Engine stalls/shuts off while driving July 13th, 2015 while driving the car the engine shut down, would not re-start right away. Got it restarted. Made arrangements to take it into dealer. While at the dealer they said the computer had to be re-program we picked the car up July 17th. August 4th 2015 the same thing happened. It was at the dealership until August 10th. While in the shop the did many tests. Said they had a service bulletin pins on the computer board had to be straightened. Repairs were made and was told they were pretty sure they have resolved the problem. Was not real comfortable with that answer. August 17th the same problem occured. The car is now at the dealership for the same issue. Checking on line this is not an issolated problem. Hundreds of complaints

- Tonawanda, NY, USA

Jul 052015

At the time of incident, the car was 11 months old. I was driving at 50 mph when the engine stalled and would not start again. It shook and sputtered continuously when attempting to start. I had the vehicle towed to the nearest dealership. It was returned to me after one day of repairs. I drove six miles and parked at a shopping center. When attempting to leave the shopping center parking lot, the vehicle once again refused to start, even though I was told it had been repaired. I had it towed again. The vehicle underwent repairs and testing for an entire week before being returned to me yet again. I have driven the vehicle since then with no apparent issues, but the problem I encountered must be prevented before it occurs. It was life-threatening, and it would be even more so had I been driving at freeway speeds or parked in dangerous surroundings.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jul 252015

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated as the instrument panel illuminated. As a result, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired under an unknown manufacturers recall but the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed back to the dealer where the technician informed that the engine control module or the ignition control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 2,000.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 092014

The contact owns a 2015 Chrysler 200. While driving approximately 65 to 70 mph when the vehicle was slowed down to approximately 50 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently without warning. The failure recurred numerous. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The contact stated that the dealer was aware of the issue, but the vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- New Bloomington, OH, USA

Jul 272015

Leaving for work in the am, started my 2015 Chrysler 200, reversed out of my driveway, made it to the corner of my cul de sac and the engine completely shut off. There was a message in the display including the words "trans, " and "emergency park." The entire electrical system shut down and the emergency brake engaged. I could not put the car in park because the gear system was locked up. When the tow truck arrived he had a hard time with it because the emergency brake would not release, and the wheels would not roll. I couldn't move this car if I wanted to. I couldn't open the trunk, lock the doors, use flashers, nothing... anything electrical was out of commission. My local Chrysler dealership had the car for two days, said they "performed many software upgrades" and "test drove it extensively" and that it was fixed. 20 minutes after I picked it up, I was driving in the center lane of a 3-lane highway, with my 4 year old and 1 year old in the car, and the engine shut down and the car's power and electrical system shut down also. Luckily, I was able to coast into a parking lot. I had the car towed back to the dealer again. The manager of the dealership said if it happens again, I can replace the car or they will buy it back. I am terrified to drive this car again. I was lucky the first time, barely lucky the second time, who knows what situation I might be in if I agree to let this happen again? I cannot put my children in this car again. This vehicle is a substantial safety risk, and also poses additional risks to other drivers on the road around it. Since everything shuts off when this happens, if I were to get into a crash as a result of it, the airbags likely would not deploy, adding to the risk of injury. I do not feel comfortable in a Chrysler 200, I no longer want this vehicle.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

May 052015

I was made aware of a recall effecting certain VIN#S in the model year 2015 Chrysler 200 line. This recall was for "contaminated, dislodged or broken parking pawl or park rod (NHTSA recall id 15V-090): ". when I search by my VIN# I do not see that mine is included but I can tell you from shortly after purchasing the vehicle until now, on a weekly basis I will pull into a parking spot/driveway and put my car in park and it will continue to roll forward or backward 1-3 feet before it actually stops moving. It seems to me that either the dealership failed to inspect this car properly before we purchased it or that that there are more VIN#S that should be evaluated for the issue. I would be happy to take my car to the dealership so that they can experience what this car does.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 132015

Car has stalled out on multiple random times. First happened to my boyfriend when he was driving in town, he told me about it and I assumed he maybe did something to cause the problem. The second time it has happened was when I was in the car and my boyfriend was driving it again and it stalled out again in the middle of the intersection with no traffic around. Since then, it has done it three times in town in 25mph speed limits zones.around the same time this was happening, I had received the recall letter and set up an appointment and just had to wait till that day. I notified the shop the day of my appointment and told them the problem and they assumed that the new recall fix would hopefully and maybe fix the problem. Since then, it has stalled out four times, and three of the times happened in the same day. The first stall out was in town again and right away I called the dealership shop to schedule an appointment again and there soonest availability was about a month away so I had no control over that. It wasn't until the next day that it happened 3 times throughout the day and 2 of those times were within a 10 minute window and this time it was on the highway. I was lucky enough at the stalling times that there was little to no traffic around me in town and on the highway, where I was able to pull over to the side safely, shut the car off and turn it back on. The dealership has the car still, they have driven it themselves for a couple days and it did not happen to them once and they cannot find an issue so they were forced to give me my car back. The problem with this issue is the stalling problem happens at random times& in different speed zone areas. Very scary thought to have when driving on the road with heavy traffic, trucks, semi's, etc. Behind you and not knowing if your car is going to stall or not that day or very much to that minute you are driving.

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Jul 212015

I was driving and my dashboard started blinking telling me I had to park the car. Once I parked for a little bit I was able to restart it but the engine light was still blinking. I was able to get it home before it shut off again and I will have it towed today. This is the second time within the last month that this has happened with the car.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA