CarComplaints.com Notes: Chrysler has taken the boring small car frame of the Neon, grafted a 1930s-era roadster body on top and named it the PT Cruiser. While the new look may appeal to some, the vehicle has unfortunately also inherited many of the same problems as the Neon.

7.1

2. replace under mass recall as this is a common defect in 2001 (9 reports)
  3. replace under mass recall (1 reports)
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

ERROR -- [ CarComplaints.com ]

There's been an error - Database connection not made: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Please click your browser's Back button to try again.

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 032009

PT Cruiser Touring 2.4L

The cracked seem to appear only after they had to change out some dash light bulbs. It has cracked so much that the vent located in the middle has totally disintegrated.

- , Midlothian, VA, USA

Apr 222004

PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L

Went to dealer in new Smyrna beach Florida showed the dash to the service manager & the first question from his mouth was Did you use Armor All on it? I said what would that have to do with it? Well he said they have found that people who used it were the ones getting the cracked dashes. I told him I have a71 Monte Carlo which at that time was 33yrs old & I use Armour All on that dash & there are no cracks.He is probably an executive now at the Chyrsler main office.What a Duce bag

- , Port Orange, Florida, USA

Oct 262013

PT Cruiser Limited Edition 2.4L Dohc

Started with the center windshield defrost vent falling to pieces about 2 years ago. Now has a wide crack running from right side of vent to the windshield and another crack from left side of vent towards the driver's side of dash. Really ticked me off as my '95 and '99 Dodge Rams have cracked dashes also.

Suspect formula of the plastic used in Chrysler dashes must be at fault. That combined with the sun, heat/cold cycles and ozone probably contribute. So why hasn't the dash cracked on my 1970 Dodge Dart? Now you're talking about a 43 year old car versus a 12 year old car! Must be the plastic formula.

BTW, my local dealer carries new dashes in stock. hmmmmmmmmmm Must be a common repair. Part cost me $252.00 before taxes. I'll install it myself and save a few bucks. This should be a mass recall.

- , Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 202012

PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L

Chrysler corp should step up to the plate and fix this obvious common problem. When a dashboard has a small crack near the windshield and spreads all the way to the front they have a problem that needs to be addressed.

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Aug 102012

PT Cruiser

The dashboard shouldn't crack. I've had many cars over the years and this is the first one where the dashboard has cracked. Chrysler should help get it fixed.

- , Haddonfield, NJ, USA

Oct 012012

PT Cruiser 4 cyl

THE CRACKS ARE VERY ANNOYING BUT WHEN I TURN THE DEFROST/FAN ON THE GRATE ON THE DASHBOARD BLOWS OUT OF THE AREA WHERE IT BELONGS EVEN THO I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL TIMES TO GLUE IT WITH DIFFERENT GLUES.

- , Tonganoxie, KS, USA

Aug 072006

PT Cruiser Limited

the thing is so cracked it is ready to fall apart. barely hanging on..will have to post a photo later.seemed to me it cracked from expanding and contracting over the years, as it is so thin and cheap. and going from the hot sun to the a/c didn't help, or vice versa. not just the dash, but the cracked windshield as well....heard this car also has structural windshield crack issues in reference to the frame settling. don't know if this is true, but it looks so bad.......car looks great otherwise, but so expensive to repair. my 1989 old toyota celica that was parked in the driveway inoperable in the hot sun for years had a dash that never cracked, up until the day it was towed away.....

- , Gardena, CA, USA

Aug 012012

PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L 4 cyl

Another broken dash panel for a PT Cruiser. Come on auto manufacturers get your vendors or your specifications to be more accountable!

- , Connelly Springs, NC, USA

Jun 212012

PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L

i am an x employee of chrysler and i never thought I'd ever buy their product then my wife liked the cruiser ,we had no problem with it just a few minor normal things ,then she told me the dashboard is beginning to crack even though we had a dashboard cover on it she said she could hear lil cracking sound coming from dashboard as time went by it got worse and it started to fall apart in pieces. i think they should redesign the dashboard and replace it on every cruiser they sold they want us to buy american made cars at least make them as good as honda's or toyota's dashboard ,i also have a dodge ram 1500 ,i hope i don't have problems with it.

- , Adelanto, CA, USA

Sep 172011

PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L

The dash material is too darn thin. What was chrysler thinking?? Its like they were in a hurry to release this model. I haventr had huge problems but i would never buy another one

- , Galesburg, MI, USA

Jul 152009

PT Cruiser Limited Touring

I bought my PT used, at about 70,000 miles. The dash was minimally cracked at the center, a hairline from the defrost grill to the window. Since then, I'm up to 118,000 miles, and the dash top is almost completely cracked down the center, and there is a big hole in the defrost grill where things occasionally fall in (if I've left them rolling around on the dash).

I think this problem is due to an extra-hot defrost setting, a too-small defrost vent for the air (it's just that small oval in the center - why not more coverage?) ... and the hot air bakes the dash from the underside. I have noticed cracking and popping sounds while using the defrost, and this is what clued me in to what was happening. I don't believe it's primarily from the sun, though in very hot climates, it could also be a factor. The heat that builds up under the plastic expands the dash and it bows up, causing the cracks.

I honestly don't see how this ISN'T Chrysler's poor design, and we should have a recall and replacement for this part. It's ridiculous. I need to sell my car, and I feel that it's not worth it to try with the dash looking like crap. It's disappointing.

- , Modesto, CA, USA

Jan 012010

PT Cruiser Limited Edition 2.4L

I also have a cracked dashboard. I suspect most of our cracked dashboards have cracked due to 2 reasons; 1) the dash material is thin, and that allows for 2) the sun to do its dirty work. The sun is responsible for most of these types of problems. I tried using sun screens, but I guess after a number of years the solar radiation (heat) also helps dry out the plastic. I can only fault Chrysler for the thinness of the material.

What I am really interested in is: what type of overlay looks the best? Carpet or velour sounds cheap-looking. Has anyone tried the form-fittng molded dash covers? How do the edges that are closest to the driver and passenger look? Any shrinkage problems with age? What about where the speakers and vents are? Are there gaps between the original and the overlay in those spots? Does the adhesive hold well?

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Sep 292011

PT Cruiser

we also have a pt (in excellent condition, except for a big crack from the fan vent to the drivers window. we only have 64000 miles on the car and i don't see this dashboard lasting much longer. we have treated it every year with sun protector. i have seen many pt's and they also have cracks in the dashboard. this seems to be a Chrysler problem and they should take care of it, with a recall. this is not just a couple of cars. Chrysler, do the right thing and repair this defect in the pt's. make us proud for buying American cars!

- , Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Jan 012002

PT Cruiser Limited Edition 2.4L

When it comes to the dash cover in the 2001 PT Cruiser, they crack really bad. I have cracks in several places. Chrysler will not do anything about. This should be a recall. I have seen too many of these cars with the same problem. I have always bought Chrysler's cars throughout my whole life. This is the first and greatest disappointment. I will rethink on my next vehicle purchase.

- , Richardson, TX, USA

May 092011

PT Cruiser Limited Edition 2.4L 4 cyl

I love my 2001 PT Cruiser and I intend to dive it until one of us dies! The cracked dash board is horrid and I have to get it fixed. I was hoping that even though my car is 10 years old that this is a recall item and that Chrysler might fix it for me.

Has anyone tried the snap over replacement dashes that I've seen online for about one hundred bucks?

- , North Richland Hills, TX, USA

Mar 022002

PT Cruiser Limited 2.4L 4

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard cracked dashboard

Every PT Cruiser 2001 has the dash cracked and usually in several places like mine and dealer tries to say to many miles yet dash does not drive or have any mileage related issues and original owner listed it as cracked before warranty ended and said dealer said not covered as it must have been banged on. Way to many ones I have seen just the same way cracked in exact spots and many listed on net the same way. This is a defective material issue and not user abuse. This should be covered by Chrysler and found also many 01 models with same tape marks on bumpers where shipping tape has discolored the bumpers and dealer refuses that also. Chrysler has really bad service. Timing belt per owners manual stats replace at 120,000 miles and ours broke at 77,000 miles ruining engine ($4000) and we tried to get it changed at 65,000 miles and service said to wait til manual 120,000 miles and refused to replace as they were to busy to do work not needed. I would think they should do what customer wants that is paying not what they want and then when it costs me $4000 they say fluke and that is way things go and I said it would not have happened had they followed my instructions and replaced at 65000 miles. Poor customer service is what ruins a company and Chrysler is becoming an example of that.

- , Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Jan 082008

PT Cruiser Limited Edition

Wanted Chrysler to see that the dashboard is cheap

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 012009

PT Cruiser

Same complaint as other readers. Dash has cracked in several places near the middle....from windshield back toward passenger area. Looks like crapola and I'd like to have a fix that doesn't involve having to buy a new dash. But since I don't know what dash caps look like, I'm having a repair specialist take a look. I understand it can be glued and painted but I suspect that may not look too swift. At any rate, I won't do anything without first checking out a similar repair on another car. Any good suggestions?

- , Saint Johns, FL, USA

Aug 102010

PT Cruiser Limited

This really stinks! We can't find a dashboard cover to cover it and it looks terrible. Why the cheap dashboard on such a otherwise nice auto. We also had problems when turning left it would pop out of power steering and drive like a truck. We had to pay several hundred dollars to fix that little item. Phooey!

- , Kapaa, HI, USA

Jan 142010

PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4 cyl

It is hard enough trying to maintain the maintance work needed for your car to stay running, but to have to turn around and invest money into a problem that is apparently well known, is really a pain in the ass. I do not understand why maufactures make such cheap parts , and over charge us to fix the problem. I am really glad that they stop making this car, because all we were really paying for is the opputunity to pay for other stuff that might break down. GREAT JOB CHRYSLER!!, on B.S ing your clients.

Angry and Pissed in South Carolina