CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 is the worst year for PT Cruiser engine complaints. Having an engine light on is annoying, but it's the complaints about the engine shutting-off while driving that really have us concerned.

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Sep 262016

PT Cruiser

My car was idling and than I drove it home on a city street in our neighborhood. About 4 minutes away from my house. Dling in park; seatbelt light kept dinging on; speedometer kept jumping back and forth from 0-100; idling at traffic stop; car shutters like it will cut off; speedometer jumps around while car is not moving. PCM/tcm replaced multiple time; battery loses charge for no known reason; have had problems w/engine light coming on, pay for sensors and parts needed only for the same issue to happen. These cars are dangerous! something needs to be done to fix this issue. I am a single mom, my son and I were in the car and we were scared. Could of caused an accident.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Jun 102016

PT Cruiser

Loses power then surges while driving. Like it is going to die then it suddenly surges and drives ok. It doesn't do it often, but it is scary when it does. Also, when it does this, my check engine light will come on" someone told me this could be related to the clutch. How can that be a clutch issue? can someone please tell me where to start looking for the problem" is being going for month's now...

- Davie, FL, USA

Mar 022016

PT Cruiser

When driving all lights on dash will come on, gauges will go off and on, and the engine has died in the road several times. The time it dies while driving is scariest part it has so far restarted after getting off road. Afraid when someone is following too close they will hit us or I hit them as I travel on the frwy 120 miles a day. Many people seem to have this go on. Chrysler fix this or I will have a class action lawsuit. Should fix before customers are killed! this has been ongoing problem since about 90,000 miles it has 132,000 now I have taken car to multiple mechanics and no one can find out was wrong. Engine died and restarted today on the freeway 3/2/16.

- Perris, CA, USA

Apr 082013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

We were rear ended while on vacation. The car was drivable and it was put in the shop for repairs. The other person was at fault. When we got the car back we noticed that the airbag light would stay on for a minute or two and then go off. This continues to happen. The car repair shop checked seat belts and such. The air bags did not deploy as this was a rear end collision. I feel like this is a safety hazard. The repair shop has had to repair work that was not done right. Could they have messed up the codes as the temp does not work right." Were the airbags damaged " the estimated speed he hit us was 35mph. We both got cervical sprain and mine is worse.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 042010

PT Cruiser

My daughter's 2006 PT CRUISER was involved in a minor fender bender in a walmart parking lot. Her car was struck on the left front bumper from a 90 degree angle. Neither vehicle could have been going more than 15 mph. The impact knocked the front bumper loose, pushed in the grill, and buckled the hood slightly on the PT CRUISER. It did not catch the fender as the left front headlight lens assembly was not broken. Within a few seconds of the impact, my daughter sighted flames in the engine compartment which were visible underneath the buckled hood. She and her passenger immediately gathered their personal belongings and exited the car. Both my daughter and the other driver called 911 but even with the fire department 300 yards away, the fire destroyed the vehicle. What should have been a $1500 bumper replacement and body shop job resulted in a totaled vehicle due to the fire. The police did not cite either driver.

- Anniston, AL, USA