2.8

2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2009 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 062013

PT Cruiser

Last year (2013) I was driving around 35mph, all panel lights flash on and off intermittently for several days. Then one day it started again all panel lights came on again and all gauges dropped down, fuel tank gauge dropped to empty, etc and engine died. Placed car in park and thankful the car started up again. Took car to chapman dealership and no error codes appeared and they couldn't find the problem. Now it is April 2014 and the same problem is starting again all panel lights are blinking on and off and I am afraid the car will shut down while driving at a higher speed. I believe this is an safety issue.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 122011

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, all of the lights on the instrument panel flickered followed by the vehicle completely stalling. The vehicle was diagnosed by two different dealers, who both stated that they could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 25,500. The current mileage was 66,000.

- Ossian, IN, USA

May 302013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Driving down the road, all gauges go crazy, all dash warning lights come on and off, vehicle loses power and stalls, very dangerous while driving. Dealer unable to locate the problem despite numerous repairs and having the car for weeks at a time. I cannot express how unsafe this is.seems to be a problem reported by others but the dealer acts as if they have never heard of the issue before.

- Medina, OH, USA

Mar 052013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Driving in a snow storm when all dash lights came on - and gauges dropped. Repeatedly went off and on. Car eventually stalled. This happened repeatedly in spite of having many things replaced (battery alternator and ignition) when the weather warmed the problem seemed to be resolved but during the first snow this winter, it happened again. Now this occurs frequently. Seldom occurs before 20 minutes of driving. Randomly occurs making detection nearly impossible. No definitive answers from computer testing. Judging from other complaints, this appears to be a common problem.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Sep 162013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Driving at 55mph and all the gauges (gas, speed, tach) went to zero and fluttered up and down, the vehicle stalled. Was fortunate enough to be able to pull over safely and restart the vehicle without incidence. The vehicle has repeated this on several occasions. I was able to record on my phone the instrument panel while it was acting up. Think I have isolated the problem to the key and ignition. I have found if I wiggle the key when this happens it stops. This could be very dangerous since you lose power to the vehicle while driving, it happens without warning. Several internet searches reveal alot of people with the same complaint. I think Chrysler should so be responsible for repair of this problem, they evidently produced a product with a defect that could potentially cause loss of life or bodily damage.

- Carolina Beach, NC, USA

Oct 142013

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

I just purchased this vehicle and had it for less then 3 weeks. I drove it a total of 5 times. When I was driving to work on a major highway, the car started to act up. The speedometer went from 55 to zero then back up to 80, I lost the ability to steer and accelerate, all of the lights came on the dash board, the car fuel gauges went up and down, and finally the car stalled. I was on a major highway which was a very scary. No codes were recorded for a mechanic to find out the problem. The problem is not fixed, and seems to be a problem with several PT CRUISER from what I have researched. I am working with the dealer attempting for a refund, as I feel my safety and the safety of others are at risk.

- West Haven , CT, USA

Oct 142013

PT Cruiser

I was driving on a major highway, doing about 55mph. All of my gauges started to light up, the speedometer went from 55 to zero then up to 65, the lights flashed on and off, the car then started to slow down to about 40, would not accelerate, then eventually just shut off. I was driving on a major highway, but able to pull off to the right side lane. The wheels tightened so I could not steer, I shut the car off and left it for about 20 mins. It started again but struggles to go over 40 before it starts acting up again. I can not find the problem, no codes are recorded. I am convinced that this is a serious safety issue with PT CRUISER as I have read similar problems.

- West Haven, CT, USA

Aug 142012

PT Cruiser

All the lights on the dash light up, dials start dropping, engine goes quiet and car starts coasting. Sometimes engine shuts off completely then turns on after a second or two; other times have to put the car in park, turn the ignition off and back on again- starts up normally. Has died at very low (sub 5mph) and very high (about 60mph) speeds; have blocked roads and intersections.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Jun 022011

PT Cruiser

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the speedometer fluctuated abnormally and the vehicle stalled. Once restarted, the vehicle was able to resume normally. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to various dealers for inspection, however they were unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 22,441.

- Kenofha, WI, USA

Jun 012013

PT Cruiser

3 times in 3 yrs. I've found water in my driver-side rear tail-light"???" I've had to unscrew it and drain the water out and replace my bulb..

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 062011

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler PT CRUISER. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle exhibited a loud noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the front driver and passenger side wheel bearings and hubs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer and the technician verified that the wheel bearing and hubs were defective once again. In addition, the contact stated that she had to replace the battery on three different occasions within a very small time frame. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 42,000 and the current mileage was 69,000.

- Ewa Beach , HI, USA

Dec 112012

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

While driving to work the gauges all dip to zero then all the dash lights come like when the engine is first started. If the gauge dip is short then the engine continues to run. Lately (since Jan) the gauges have staying in the zero position longer and the engine loses power. Sometimes the engine will pick back up sometimes not. If it doesn't then I have put the car in neutral and it will restart. This happens several times in succession and sometimes just every once in a while but almost always 4 or 5 times in 45 miles. Once the car has had a chance to sit during the day I don't have the problem on the way home. It seems to have this issue the most on days when we have a heavy dew. Rain does not seem to be a problem. I think moisture is being pulled in during the cool down and causing this issue. I just don't know where. The dealer (after 4 days) can't seem to duplicate the problem. My biggest fear is if this should happen when pulling out in traffic or in a corner as I lose power steering.

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Jul 012012

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Door will not open after car is in park, engine turned off, key is removed from ignition. I have to re-start engine to power down driver's window to reach through open window to open door from outside door latch. This has happened muliple occurrences with no obvious reasons. Should there be an emergency to exit vehicle, my concern is would I be able to get out.

- Westfield, IN, USA

Dec 292012

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

While traveling down the qew highway in Ontario, the instrument panel on my pt 2009 cruiser started blinking on and off, the gauges went wild with up and down full-range swings, then blinking on and off on and off; I thought the seatbelt may be the problem since the fasten seatbelt indicator remained "on." It happened again a second time right away (less than 2 minutes) accompanied by loss of engine power. I heard sputtering, and then the engine died, and I had to guide it to a resting spot on the side of the road without power steering; not fun. I was in near hamilton, Ontario, and managed to get off the highway safely. I inspected under the hood and nothing seemed out of the ordinary at all. Engine restarted right away, and I was able to make it back to E. amherst NY. This is totally unsafe! I was concerned about getting my family home safely. And there is no way to know what is wrong with the vehicle! I cannot trust my car and that stinks! I had same type of problem with a Grand Caravan (1994?) and the mechanics could never locate the problem. Makes me wonder about Chrysler.

- E. Amherst, NY, USA

Nov 292012

PT Cruiser

While driving down the road all the dash lights came on and the car started beeping, the gas gauge and mph and RPM dials go to zero. Can't pull a code and there seems to be no apparent problem that can be located by the dealer or a mechanic. This is very dangerous!

- Longview, TX, USA

Sep 152010

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Dash lights start flashing motor starts to stall and lose power has happen several times in past year almost causing me to wreck brake lights exploded and shattered several times.

- Crandall, GA, USA

Sep 072012

PT Cruiser

While driving on the highway, all the gauges on the dashboard light up, car loses power. Sometimes it will restart but sometimes I will have to pull over to the side of the road. I have had the battery replaced and wires checked. I am afraid to drive for fear of getting into an accident since the car just stops without warning. This is so unsafe and seems to be a common issue for this car.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Jul 172012

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

While driving car all dashlights flashes off and on gauges dance up and down car looses power and shuts down while driving.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Oct 032011

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

While driving the dash lights flash and the gauges go up and down, the car dies. I put the car in park and it starts right up. This problem is intermittent and the dealer is unable to duplicate the problem. No codes are stored. This has happened to me several times, and most of them end with me having to pull over to the side of the road, turn the car off & back on. Twice it has happened to me while on a major highway...the car shuts off & I'm literally coasting on a major highway trying to get over for safety. This is dangerous and all the repair shop tells me is they can't fix it and don't know what causes it.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

May 012011

PT Cruiser 4-cyl

Driving vehicle on highway all warning lights on the dash light up and gauges fall the vehicle stalls. This is very dangerous when driving and could cause serious harm. I have taken it to the dealership and they have changed several items on the vehicle. They can't replicate the problem therefore the issue still exists. Chrysler is no help with solving the issue.

- Midwest City, OK, USA