CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

May 132015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. A mechanic and independent mechanic stated that the engine cradle was rusted during an oil change. The mechanic stated that the engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Bristol, PA, USA

Jul 202015

Pacifica

Extensive undercarriage rust was found during a routine oil change. This rust effects the motor bolts as well as motor support carriage. The mechanic has advised that the car is not safe to drive. The car has 81,268 miles and has been well maintained. Upon investigation, I discovered this problem has been consistently reported by owners of this vehicle. The car has been used to Transport children on the highway and after examining the rust damage Chrysler should have notified owners of this serious safety risk and should be responsible for the repair.

- Cohasset, MA, USA

Engine cradle rusted out

- Verona, PA, USA

Pacifica

Engine cradle is rotted out

- Verona, PA, USA

Jul 172015

Pacifica

Took my Pacifica in for a car alignment and walked out with the news that my engine is about to fall. I found out that my sub frame front engine cradle needs to be replace asap, otherwise it's not safe for me and my baby to drive. There's a huge rust problem, when I called the Chrysler dealer they told me that there was no recall and that the fixing cost would be around $2500. I started researching this problem and found out it's a widespread issue. Guess it sucks to be all the rest of us. Nothing ever was mentioned about this defect in the rusty engine cradle and god knows what could happen if it won't be fix. I am a single parent and I can't afford to pay for someone's mistakes.

- Schiller Park, IL, USA

Jun 012015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving at various speeds, an abnormal sound was heard from the engine. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine cradle was cracked and rotted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,500.

- Manchester, CT, USA

Jan 012015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph and when turning on the defroster, the vehicle leaks freon onto the passenger side floor and stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Jul 012015

Pacifica

Went to have vibration in the front checked and the mechanic discovered the big hole from the rot on the engine cradle went to a local body shop to get repaired. A new cradle is 3600 $ a used one is 600 we opted to order a used one and hopefully my wife and children and grandchildren will be safe. No thanks to Chrysler negligence in ignoring the issues. They seem to forget who made them a company the consumer.

- Avilla , IN, USA

May 012015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle restarted after the second attempt and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but the cause of the failure was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Gulfport, MS, USA

Jul 012015

Pacifica

Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up. So what happens when your engine cradle rots" well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention the engine can fall out" the worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car

- Lake Zurich, IL, USA

May 122015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While the vehicle was undergoing routine maintenance, an independent mechanic noticed rust on the engine cradle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the engine cradle was rusted out and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Adams, MA, USA

Pacifica

During an oil change, massive rust was found in the engine craddle, sub frame. Failure of these parts would be catastrop. Chrysler has acknowledged this problem with a small subset of these cars but clearly applies to all as similar symptoms are showing in cars outside the group sleected for relief. This is wrong, this is not safe, this is not fair.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Jun 172015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the entire front subframe and engine cradle were excessively corroded. Both the manufacturer and dealer were made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while the vehicle at an independent mechanic for an inspection, the mechanic diagnosed that the engine sub frame had corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,589.

- Victor, NY, USA

Jun 052015

Pacifica

Vehicle subframe (engine cradle) is rotted out and vehicle is unsafe to drive. Chrysler issued a recall for this but only for a 6 week period for 2004 models. Looking online I see hundreds of complaints of the 2005 Pacifica. I have photos. Subframe is about to fall apart and this will cause the engine to drop. This is a major defect. Chrysler needs to address this issue. How many owners look under their car at the subframe? it's a hidden defect that will kill someone one day. Subframes are not supposed to rot away at the 10 year point. This is a major major defect. Please let me send you photos.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

May 242015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving approximately 5 mph and making a left turn, a clicking sound emitted from the steering column without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions whenever the contact made a left or right turn. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the engine cradle had excessive rust and was fractured. As a result, the engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Feb 012014

Pacifica

I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica and I was experiencing problems with a clicking noise and shifting coming from underneath the front end of my car. Upon inspection by my mechanic it became clear that the "engine cradle" or subframe was completely rotted through with visible corrosion. Upon further investigation, I discovered that this "engine cradle" corrosion problem has been acknowledged by Chrysler and an extended warranty was issued to repair this part for 2004 and 2005 Pacifica's. extended warranty letter id is: 0004617/#45543/X26...however, when I contacted Chrysler, I was informed that based on the VIN # of my car, I did not qualify for Chrysler extended warranty for this issue, the letter Chrysler issued for this extended warranty clearly states that it covers 2004-2005 Chrysler Pacifica's, and even though I fall within the model year, geographical region, and the 10yr/150,000mile guidelines of extended warranty, Chrysler claims that my 2005 was not manufactured within some narrow manufacturing window to qualify for this extended warranty.

- Austintown, OH, USA

May 162013

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While driving 20 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was able to be restarted and was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the fuel pump module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Nov 212014

Pacifica

My check engine light came on and the car was vibrating and making noises, had it checked by a mechanic. I was told my engine was about to fall out of my car due to rusting. The total cost of repairs was more than I wanted to spend however the mechanic said it wasn't safe to even drive off the lot a mile down the road to trade it in. So I had no choice but to pay to have it fixed. This could have caused a serious accident and had I waited a day later to have it checked out myself and my kids could have been seriously injured. Chrysler doesn't want to take responsibility for not properly coating the engine cradles and some of us live in the snowbelt!!!

- Lake City, PA, USA

May 042015

Pacifica

Took the car to the shop to have a shorted wire repaired/replaced and was told that the engine cradle was rusted out and needed to be replaced, and that the car is unsafe to drive.

- Romulus , MI, USA