CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2005 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 112014

Pacifica

While getting service at local Chrysler dealership, was notified that the engine cradle was rusted through and the vehicle was not safe to drive.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Apr 192014

Pacifica

I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that has engine subframe rust - completely rusted - undrivable, extremely dangerous. Chrsyler issued a warranty extension in 2010 for all 2004 and 2005 Pacificas for this problem and then rescinded it stating that it would only fix those that fell within a 6 week build date - Feb 23-March 31, 2004- which mine did not. However, it has covered others - whom I know personally - at 100% after constant appeals and letters and a story which aired on channel 5 Chicago news on January 24 and April 15, 2014. I have contacted channel 7, 5 and 9 and will not stop until this is fixed. It upsets me that this is not getting fixed when there is an obvious problem - one in which chrsyler took responsiblity for and then decided not to take responsiblity.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Apr 162014

Pacifica

Engine cradle/sub-frame is rusted through on both sides. The gaps 1/4" to 2" wide extend for 15-20". my mechanic lifted my car so I can see the damage, he says it is unsafe to drive it because of all front suspension and steering is supported by the frame. When driving over potholes I hear loud thumps coming from front suspension area. I'm expecting Chrysler's recall or reimbursement for projected $2500-3000 repair.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 102014

Pacifica

We took our car in to locate a possible leak and while investigating the leak, our repair shop noticed a golf ball size hole and rust on the passenger cradle arm and reccommended us not to drive. After researching I have found we are not the only owners of the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica with this issue.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Apr 072014

Pacifica

I noticed that something was looking weird about my car and something seemed hanging really low. I went to have it looked at right away and they told me that my cradle was rotting and it needed to be fixed or my engine was going to fall to the ground if I did not get this taken care of. I have had nothing put problems with this car. It seems like once I fix one thing something else goes wrong. I have spent over 3,000 dollars on this car so far to fix it and now this. I am beyond irritated.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Nov 202013

Pacifica

I wanted to bring to your attention a safety condition with certain years on the Chrysler Pacifica. Many of the Pacifica's engine cradles are severely rusted; to the point of if a break occurs the engine will fall out of the vehicle. This issue is mainly on years 2004-2005. (I own a 2005 model with severe rusted engine cradle.) the estimated cost of this repair is between $2,500 and $3,000. I have contacted Chrysler several times about this safety issue, the 1st time was Nov of 2013 with the most recent being 4/1/2014. Chrysler just says "we're looking into it". (ref case# 24293830) I have contacted the Minnesota attorney general who sent a letter to Chrysler, but they declined coverage on my Pacifica. I have also filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Chrysler has acknowledged this issue by extending the warranty on certain build dates, (see letter below): Checkout an nbc news report on this issue: www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/minivan-owners-want-Chrysler-to-concede-rust-problems-241535881.html. my vehicle has been diagnosed by two mechanics, one of which is roseville Chrysler-Jeep. And both agree that the engine cradle must be replaced. My vehicle is in perfect condition. The rusted engine cradle would never be noticed by a common person. Someone could have this issue and not know it unless a mechanic would happen to notice it. Luckily mine did! in light of the recent GM issues with ignorance of the power steering issue I would think that Chrysler would try and get ahead of this serious safety issue. Thank you. Steve pitzl 1009 cobb rd shoreview, mn. 55126 612-220-7806

- Shoreview, MN, USA

Mar 252014

Pacifica

I took my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in for a oil change and safety inspection and was informed that my subframe/ engine cradle has rusted through and is no longer safe to drive the car is less than 10 years old...this is very unsafe as I drive this car everyday with 2 kids any help would be appreciated. The service agent working on my car said we were lucky it has not fallen out yet and had a serious accident.

- Baraboo, WI, USA

Mar 282014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that she took her vehicle into the dealer for inspection and they stated that the engine cradle corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Jun 282012

Pacifica

Bought this car used from a dealer owned the car for approx 8 months we were making a right hand turn heard this really loud noise and the car would no longer run. We were told the subframe and motor mounts were broken. Now 1 1/2 years later my car has been acting very strange the transmission is slipping the car wont go if you step on the gas and my mechanic has informed me that once again I have broken motor mounts. I have owned this car for almost 3 years and have only put about 30,000 miles on it this should not be happening

- Walpole, MA, USA

Mar 132014

Pacifica

I am seeing a lot of complaints regarding rust and corrosion issues with the engine cradle on 2004-2005 Chrysler Pacificas. Please go back to the main frame page and click on the "service bulletins" tab under the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica recalls list, then click on the "associated document" in the first service bulletin labeled : service bulletin no.: wb-D-10-34 component(s): Engine NHTSA id number: 10045080 it reads that, in an effort to demonstrate its commitment to your continued satisfaction, Chrysler group Pacifica's llc has extended the warranty for the front engine cradle to 10 years or 150,000 miles (whichever occurs first). This warranty coverage applies to Chrysler Pacificas model years 2004-2005. Please take your vehicle to your local Chrysler dealer where it can be inspected and replaced free of charge if necessary! if you have already replaced this component at your cost, then you are entitled to a refund; but must submit a photo copy of your invoice and receipt to: Chrysler customer assistance center po box 21-8007 auburn hills, mi 48321-8007 you may also call our customer service center for more information at : 1-800-247-9753 (8am - 8pm est. Monday-Friday) (9am - 5pm est. Saturday)

- Bixby, OK, USA

Aug 112010

Pacifica

I was having my vehicle inspected and was informed that my engine cradle was rusting through. I checked out the problem on line and found out that this is a recognized problem with 2004 Pacifica's and that Chrysler has offered an extended warranty due to manufactures defect. However there is only a one month period (in-service date) that applies to the warranty. You can put your fist through the engine cradle. Engine vibrates and we are concerned that it will fall out of the car and kill someone. We wont let our kids drive it anymore and cant afford to replace it. It is apparent that this is a common safety problem that could result in serious injury and Chrysler not only made no attempt to contact buyers, but also fails to accept responsibility for the manufactures defect. Please do your jobs and protect us from this obvious defect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Feb 212014

Pacifica

I took my 2005 Pacifica in for an oil change and was informed there was a major problem...engine cradle/crossmember bar was rusted through and had holes in it. I took it in to the Chrysler dealership and was given an estimate of $2514 for parts and labor to make my car safe to drive. My vehicle was manufactured 9-04 so I missed that very small recall window. So much for a safe, family car...just hoping the manufacturer makes this right some day. Good luck to other Pacifica owners.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Mar 082014

Pacifica

I took my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in to get my inspection done yesterday. The mechanic put the car in the lift to check it, then he showed me where the engine cradle/subframe had corroded to the point where you could stick your fingers through the hole. I did some research and there are hundreds more like myself with this problem. Chrysler knows about the problem and does nothing about it. They recalled a minute portion of the same make and model with the same problem made in the same year. There are hundreds, if not thousands, with the same problem. May have no clue that they are driving a ticking time bomb, in which the engine could drop out at any time while they are driving. This car is supposed to be a family vehicle. I drove my two small children in this car for a long time, not knowing it could have wrecked at any time. Is it going to a serious injury, or worse, death for something to be done about these rolling death traps. I contacted Chrysler and they said there is nothing they could do because my VIN doesn't fall in the recall range. Yet, my car is the same year, make, and model. Something needs to be done before some is injured or dies. I know there are hundreds more concerned people with same problem as me and something needs to be done.

- Sayre, PA, USA

Feb 262014

Pacifica

I have a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica that has failed inspection due to extensive engine cradle rust. This vehicle's body and undercarriage is immaculate except for the engine cradle "K frame". I have contacted Chrysler and they are unwilling fix the problem because it is 20K miles over the power train warranty even though there is no other rust issues on the vehicle. After doing research, I have discovered that I am not alone in this battle! I am within 8 months of the previous recalled vehicles from Chrysler for this same issue and I believe that Chrysler should extend their recall as this is a potential dangerous issue that is growing with this specific model vehicle.

- York, ME, USA

Feb 172009

Pacifica

I just want to voice my feelings on this company (Chrysler) concerning the Chrysler Pacifica 2005 AWD why wasn't this car recalled as a whole. It is a piece of crap I bought this car as a reliable family car being that I am a single mother of 5. I researched this car to make sure that it was going to be the right fit. I have had to buy 3 batteries for this car which to me seems to be a lot. The car burned oil constantly and no one could tell me where the oil was going, I had to have the motor mount changed I had to replace the egr valve failed my emissions because of it right after meaning seconds after it was changed the check engine light came back on while at the shop showing that the catalytic converter needed to be changed! not only did I have to pay for the egr valve but I also had to buy a two year waiver for my emissions in order to get my tabs because there was no way that I was going to be able to afford a catalytic converter. Got the catalytic converter changed and the check engine light went off for about a month or so but came right back on. Had to get the radiator repaired and now there is 5 different codes popping up P0305, P0404, P0736, P179, and P0720 im sure these codes mean nothing to you but I needed to address. I don't understand how so many complaints were made and these are from families people who spend a little more money on something that is not a mini van to end up with some crap!!!!! no one wants to spend their hard erned money on car repairs when I have to make life decsions on food on the talbe or fix my car well we are eating rice. I am attaching links from online complaints. www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/chrysler_pacifica.html www.edmunds.com/Chrysler/Pacifica/2005/consumer-reviews.html no family should have to go through this.

- Renton , WA, USA

Feb 202014

Pacifica

I was just told by my mechanic investigating a "clunk" in my front end that the engine cradle in my Pacifica is so rusted you can poke your finger through it. I see on the internet that Chrysler is aware of the issue and refuses to issue a recall. I have never had a car where this has been an issue. This is a ticking timebomb. My mechanic said I and my family were at risk of dropping the engine while driving.

- Medina, OH, USA

Jan 272014

Pacifica

Our 2005 Chrysler Pacifica touring model did not pass a state vehicle safety inspection because of extensive corrosion holes and frame rust. The engine cradle support has rust holes and is severely weakened, and the areas below the rocker panels underneath the car have rusted through. The vehicle was purchased new by my father, and has always been garaged and well maintained. The car has only 77,100 miles on it, and yet now is considered structurally unsafe to drive. Researching online, I found that Chrysler knew of the unusual corrosion problems with this vehicle. They acknowledged the rust problem by quietly issuing an extraordinary "extended 10 year / 150,000 mile warranty" for Pacifica model years 2004-2005. They subsequently amended this warranty to limit their responsibility to the front engine cradle only (reference: X26, warranty bulletin dated March 16, 2012), and further reduced their exposure by only providing this warranty coverage to vehicles manufactured between February 23, 2004, to March 31, 2004 - an implausibly short time frame given their acknowledged corrosion problem. The Chrysler customer assistance center told me they would not provide any assistance, since the manufacture date for this car was June, 2005. It is inexcusable that a well-maintained 2005 vehicle with only 77,000 miles could be rendered structurally unsafe due to corrosion. It is absurd to suggest that their corrosion problem only affected one part manufactured only within a 36 day window. Having spoken with several mechanics and insurance adjusters, extensive underbody panel rust and frame corrosion are extremely common with this model year. Structural corrosion is a known defect with this car. It's a huge financial loss for us. It also a dangerous safety "time bomb". they know it is. Chrysler should assist in fixing these vehicles quickly, or be forced to recall them.

- Bedford, NH, USA

Feb 132014

Pacifica

The front sub frame that holds the engine has a massive rust hole on the passenger side it started off the size of a golf ball and has turned into a 8 by 3 rectangle I have owned the car for two years and this is the result.there was a warranty extension on this vehicle but they only considered it from the date mfg 2/23/04 to 3/31/04 a six wek time frame as the vehicles affected by it. I experience vibration while driving. Mine was mfg 10/04

- Athol, MA, USA

Feb 032014

Pacifica

When I start my car from a parked position, I put the car in reverse and it stalls out. It throws the car in neutral. I also ended up in a ditch. I had to leave the car at my job. Unable to drive it home from work. My mechanic will come and tow my car to his shop.

- Norcross , GA, USA

Jan 282014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the dealer was servicing the vehicle and advised that the engine cradle was rusted. The technician also advised that the engine cradle would need replacing because there was a risk of the engine becoming detached and falling from the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 92,000.

- Huntley, IL, USA