CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

2005 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Feb 062015

Pacifica

TL- the contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that a unknown rattling noise was coming the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed the engine cradle needed to be replaced. No repairs were made to the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 107,000.sr

- Washignton, WV, USA

Feb 062015

Pacifica

Engine cradle corrosion has subjected vehicle and passengers to potentially catastrophic structural failure. Sub-frame is sufficiently rusted to result in frame bending. Furthermore, the vehicle front wheels can no longer be properly aligned. This front-end alignment issue persists despite purchasing and installing the aftermarket camber kit necessary for the alignment rear wheels.

- New Hope, MN, USA

Jan 302015

Pacifica

Rear ended a chev. Truck at approx. 30 mph. Wife sustained neck, back, and shoulder. Upper torso was the most affected area airbags failed to deploy.

- Robstown, TX, USA

Jan 232015

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle had severe rusting on the front motor harness. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the motor harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Jan 292015

Pacifica

Our vehicle has had a shake to it for a couple years. We have had it looked at numerous times and have been told they can't find anything wrong with it. Our vehicle went into a shop today as the inspection is due by end of Jan. 2015. The shop called and advised our engine cradle is rusted thru. Advised us it would cost a couple thousand dollars to repair. I did some looking on the internet, found out Chrysler had a recall on engine cradles that were not property coated which allowed rust to damage the cradle. I contacted Chrysler - and was told that the recall was for veh made between 2/23/04 - 3/31/04. My vehicle was made 7/04. My daughter, on our advice, owns the same year of the vehicle. Her vehicle was made 9/04. Chrysler told me they can't help me and ended the conversation. There are so many complaints on the internet all dealing with the engine cradle issue. We can't afford to have this repaired at this time as I am ill and not able to work and my husband (55 years old) had a heart attack on his 55th birthday and has just gone back to work. I am sick over this and afraid to tell my husband for fear he will have another heart attack. Chrysler should be ashamed of their selves. Thank you for listening.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Jan 222015

Pacifica

This is a structural issue noted by mechanic during routine oil change and tire rotation. Mechanic identified extensive rust and corrosion of engine cradle. Damage includes muliple cracks and a hole wide enough to insert 3 fingers. Mechanic recommends replacing engine cradle. Vehicle purchased 10 years ago on this date. Mileage less than 80,000. Vehicle taken to local dealership for evaluation. Dealer escalated to manufacturer. Awaiting determination from Chrysler as to whether it will cover the repair. Extended warranty for Pacificas manufactured between Feb 23, 2004 and March 31, 2004 not applicable. This vehicle was manufactured in April 2004.

- Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Jan 162015

Pacifica

The front subframe is severely corroded. It could fail at any time letting the engine drop

- Greenup, IL, USA

May 182012

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and the oil warning light illuminated. The vehicle was able to restart but the failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Grandrapids, MI, USA

Aug 012011

Pacifica

I orginially replaced the motor mounts on this vehicle in August of 2011. I am having to replace them for the second time now, January 2015 (mileage 215,000). I should not have to replace motor mounts more than one time in the lifetime of the vehicle. I have had the vehicle properly maintained by the same mechanic for several years.

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Nov 222013

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that there was a loud abnormal noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front engine cradle was corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000.

- Cicero, NY, USA

Dec 272014

Pacifica

Car stall when making sharp left hands turns. It has done this two consecutive days in a row. I searched the VIN on Chrysler and there are no open recalls. The found that there was a recall for this on 2005 Pacifica's but I am unable to find out if mine was ever corrected.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Dec 112013

Pacifica

Add me to the list for, "went in for routine work" and came out paying $2000 because my engine cradle was rusting out. No help from Chrysler, something needs to be done about it, no salvage part was available, and who would want to put a used rusty engine cradle in anyway. An engine cradle is not a part that anyone should ever have to replace in thier lifetime. My repair was only $2000 but that is because I only had to add 15% to the cost as I work at a mechanical shop. The part alone was still over $1200...sorry, but I think it's bs !!!!!!!!!!!!! I do alot of highway driving with my grandchildren in the vehicle, what would I of done if the engine fell out while I was driving "???????"

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Nov 022014

Pacifica

Iwhile driving from Canada (montreal) to largo (Florida) the Chrysler Pacifica 2005 started to loose power and speed (highway 75 near brooksfield, fl). I could not drive the car on the shoulder as a temporary ciment wall was on the right hand side for construction. A few second later, as the construction site was over I pulled my car on the shoulder and 3 cars had already stopped (they saw the fire underneat my car)and the drivers waved at me to stop. I tried to stop on the shoulder but I didn't have any brakes on the car. Fortunately, the highway was going up so the car stopped by itself and started going backwards. I turned the steering wheel to be able to stop in the gard rail and then fire was coming out from the motor (out of the fenders). The 3 person mentionned to me that the fire was coming out from underneat the motor while driving so that was the reason they stopped to indicate the fire. My mother in law (80 years old with pace maker) and myself had only a few seconds to exit the car because black smoke was already in the car. I lost everithing in the fire (medication, clothing, passport, wallet, etc...) as my mother in law lives in Florida, I am filing this complaint for her and for myself also. I am a health and safety coordinator and I wish that this situation never comes back in the future. Fortunately, I am still alive to explain this incident.

- Largo, FL, USA

Nov 222014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle over heated and the temperature gauge warning illuminated. The contact mentioned that while having the vehicle towed to an independent mechanic, the vehicle caught on fire. A police report was not filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 232014

Pacifica

Upon taking car in for routine nys inpsection was informed of severe engine cradle rot. Estimated repair $4000. Car has less than 114K miles and is only 9 years old. I cant afford to repair and even though I have opened a case with Chrysler they are not willing to help me. Chrysler admits issue when they offered extension of warranty on 2004 and 2005 models but refuses to issue a recall or fix the problem at their cost. Owners are stuck with a costly repair option. Chrysler should be addressing this safety issue.

- Saugerties, NY, USA

Jun 022014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While attempting to accelerate, the vehicle hesitated to respond and then surged forward. A whistling noise emitted from the engine. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 16,000.

- Douglasville , GA, USA

Oct 082014

Pacifica

I purchased this vehicle not to long ago. Then when having my brakes done, my mechanic pointed out the huge rust holes in the engine frame of my car. He said it wasn't safe to drive the vehicle because the engine might fall out. I contacted Chrysler but the said there was no recalls on the vehicle.

- Buffalo , NY, USA

Sep 302014

Pacifica

Engine cradle was found to be rusting out. Saw issue on news, websites, etc.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Sep 292014

Pacifica

Chrysler 2005 Pacifica has significant engine cradle and other undercarriage rust issues. Today at my auto repair shop I took several photographs of the rusted engine cradle, undercarriage and other suspension areas with heavy rusting. Called Chrysler care 1-800-247-9753 and they kindly told me there was nothing they can do to assist in the repair cost. Numerous reports online of repairs being selectively reimbursed by Chrysler. How many complaints are required for a recall to be issued or is a class action developing for this issue. Thanks.

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

May 212013

Pacifica

Took car to be inspected and was told the engine cradle was rusting out and the car would not pass inspection. Dealer quoted me $2,000 to replace; got second opinion and paid $1,700 to have the cradle replaced. Just discovered this website (09/2014), otherwise would have filed this complaint earlier. Seeing the number of complaints on this same issue on this website makes me feel Chrysler should reimburse me for the money I spent to have this repair done.

- Glenshaw, PA, USA