CarComplaints.com Notes: Engine cradle rot is a serious problem in the 2004-05 Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler admits they didn't apply enough coating to the vehicle's sub-frame during assembly, but only offered to cover a very small portion of the vehicles they messed up.

So what happens when your engine cradle rots? Well, the engine could fall out for starters. It could also cause problems with the suspension and other components but did I mention THE ENGINE CAN FALL OUT? The worst part is you might not know because there's no way to see the problem without getting under the car.

If you have a 2004-05 Pacifica, make sure to have your mechanic inspect your sub-frame for rust and corrosion.

1.6

2005 Chrysler Pacifica engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Pacifica:

2005 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Dec 112013

Pacifica

Add me to the list for, "went in for routine work" and came out paying $2000 because my engine cradle was rusting out. No help from Chrysler, something needs to be done about it, no salvage part was available, and who would want to put a used rusty engine cradle in anyway. An engine cradle is not a part that anyone should ever have to replace in thier lifetime. My repair was only $2000 but that is because I only had to add 15% to the cost as I work at a mechanical shop. The part alone was still over $1200...sorry, but I think it's bs !!!!!!!!!!!!! I do alot of highway driving with my grandchildren in the vehicle, what would I of done if the engine fell out while I was driving "???????"

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Nov 022014

Pacifica

Iwhile driving from Canada (montreal) to largo (Florida) the Chrysler Pacifica 2005 started to loose power and speed (highway 75 near brooksfield, fl). I could not drive the car on the shoulder as a temporary ciment wall was on the right hand side for construction. A few second later, as the construction site was over I pulled my car on the shoulder and 3 cars had already stopped (they saw the fire underneat my car)and the drivers waved at me to stop. I tried to stop on the shoulder but I didn't have any brakes on the car. Fortunately, the highway was going up so the car stopped by itself and started going backwards. I turned the steering wheel to be able to stop in the gard rail and then fire was coming out from the motor (out of the fenders). The 3 person mentionned to me that the fire was coming out from underneat the motor while driving so that was the reason they stopped to indicate the fire. My mother in law (80 years old with pace maker) and myself had only a few seconds to exit the car because black smoke was already in the car. I lost everithing in the fire (medication, clothing, passport, wallet, etc...) as my mother in law lives in Florida, I am filing this complaint for her and for myself also. I am a health and safety coordinator and I wish that this situation never comes back in the future. Fortunately, I am still alive to explain this incident.

- Largo, FL, USA

Nov 222014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that the vehicle over heated and the temperature gauge warning illuminated. The contact mentioned that while having the vehicle towed to an independent mechanic, the vehicle caught on fire. A police report was not filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 232014

Pacifica

Upon taking car in for routine nys inpsection was informed of severe engine cradle rot. Estimated repair $4000. Car has less than 114K miles and is only 9 years old. I cant afford to repair and even though I have opened a case with Chrysler they are not willing to help me. Chrysler admits issue when they offered extension of warranty on 2004 and 2005 models but refuses to issue a recall or fix the problem at their cost. Owners are stuck with a costly repair option. Chrysler should be addressing this safety issue.

- Saugerties, NY, USA

Jun 022014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. While attempting to accelerate, the vehicle hesitated to respond and then surged forward. A whistling noise emitted from the engine. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 16,000.

- Douglasville , GA, USA

Oct 082014

Pacifica

I purchased this vehicle not to long ago. Then when having my brakes done, my mechanic pointed out the huge rust holes in the engine frame of my car. He said it wasn't safe to drive the vehicle because the engine might fall out. I contacted Chrysler but the said there was no recalls on the vehicle.

- Buffalo , NY, USA

Sep 302014

Pacifica

Engine cradle was found to be rusting out. Saw issue on news, websites, etc.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Sep 292014

Pacifica

Chrysler 2005 Pacifica has significant engine cradle and other undercarriage rust issues. Today at my auto repair shop I took several photographs of the rusted engine cradle, undercarriage and other suspension areas with heavy rusting. Called Chrysler care 1-800-247-9753 and they kindly told me there was nothing they can do to assist in the repair cost. Numerous reports online of repairs being selectively reimbursed by Chrysler. How many complaints are required for a recall to be issued or is a class action developing for this issue. Thanks.

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

May 212013

Pacifica

Took car to be inspected and was told the engine cradle was rusting out and the car would not pass inspection. Dealer quoted me $2,000 to replace; got second opinion and paid $1,700 to have the cradle replaced. Just discovered this website (09/2014), otherwise would have filed this complaint earlier. Seeing the number of complaints on this same issue on this website makes me feel Chrysler should reimburse me for the money I spent to have this repair done.

- Glenshaw, PA, USA

Sep 232014

Pacifica

9/23/14 took my Pacifica to shop to have ac fixed once on the lift they imformed me that the subframe was rusted out and my car was unsafe to drive. So scared to drive vehicle, I was imformed that it would cost 3000. To 5000 to fix. I dont have that kind of money being retired. Chrysler informed me that my car was not built between Feb. And March 2004 so they wont cover it. How ridiculous is this that they dont stand behind there products. Are they waiting for someone to die from this error.

- Poolesville, MD, USA

Sep 242014

Pacifica

When taking the car for an oil change, it was pointed out that our engine cradle was very corroded and rusted through. We have since discovered that this is a known issue with this year, make, and model of car. However, our car was manufactured outside the very narrow range of dates for which an extended 10 year, 150K mile warranty on the engine cradle was made available. The body shop has quoted us $4000 to repair the vehicle, and said the car is very unsafe to drive in it's current condition. Given that this issue is so common for this car, it is only a matter of time before someone is killed driving one. Chrysler should be forced to issue a recall on all 2004 and 2005 Pacificas in order to repair this problem before it is too late for some family.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Sep 102014

Pacifica

On 9/10/2014 my wife was in a minor fender bender and our 2005 Chrysler Pacifica had to be taken away on a flatbed tow truck. Upon inspection of damage to our front end from the accident the body shop informed they found that our vehicle was unsafe to drive. In addition to the damage and upon my shock and horror they found our passenger side subframe/engine cradle was almost completely rusted out!!! the cost to repair/replace the subframe and labor will be $1500!!! I am in the process of having them replace it because my wife and 2 small children are in this SUV daily. I'm thankful that this was found now before it was too late and something god awful would have happened. I'm in the process of talking with Chrysler and am looking for assistance in this matter. Thank you for your help.

- Canfield, OH, USA

Sep 112014

Pacifica

The cradle that holds the engine is rusting away.

- Glenshaw, PA, USA

Sep 102014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being inspected for routine maintenance, the mechanic informed the contact that the engine was rusting and the engine cradle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,429.

- Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Sep 032014

Pacifica

While replacing a set of tires at a local shop, the service manager informed me of a rusted engine support frame. He also stated the danger of the engine falling out of the vehicle. The vehicle has been well maintained at the local Chrysler dealership with maintenance and inspection reports every 3000 miles. Never once has this rusted frame been reported at the Chrysler dealership! the last service report during an oil change stated, "checked over everything looked ok". the dealership has reported other maintenance and repair issues but never this one. Is Chrysler trying to hide this potential safety problem? I've been a long term owner of Chrysler products and never had a problem with a rusted-out engine support. The car currently sits in our garage with my wife refusing to drive the vehicle because of the potential safety issue.

- Plainwell, MI, USA

Aug 162014

Pacifica

Took my vehicle in to have a small radiator leak checked out and an oil change as I am planning a trip from sw Michigan to Chicago in a week. Much to my surprise, shock and dismay the mechanic told me that my cars frame and engine suspension is badly rusted and the engine can fall out of my car at any given time. As I drive my car for my job and also help take my grandchildren to and from school I am sickened by this news. Then to find out (I bought my car used) that Chrysler did a recall but then rescinded the recall really made me angry. I am now stuck with a car I cannot/should not drive and there is no way I can afford to purchase another vehicle. I will never buy a Chrysler product again. Shame on you Chrysler to not stand behind your product.

- Spring Lake, MI, USA

Jun 022014

Pacifica

There was a recall from Chrysler made for 2004-2005 Pacificas dealing with the engine cradle. They erouded and rusted through. Thousands upon thousand of cars were recalled. They than revoked it for a 2 month recall span. This problem has been deadly and faital and has affected thousands of familes. Chrysler refuses to fix the warranty that was organically wrote and sent out. They refuse to fix or acknowledge that the problem exist and is deadly for these people who drive the Pacifica as their " family transportation". in the past month my 2005 Pacifica has stalled out, died, had all roaders, breaks and control arms replaced. All new tires and now I find out my engine cradle has rusted out to where's its not drivable. Now the radio stopped working, the air wont turn on if blinkers are all, the entire electrical body has crapped out and Chrysler refuses to fix the problems they set the original recall for. There are thousands of people driving these cars with kids, what will it take for someone to fix this issue" death of thousands of kids? multiple accidents"

- Winthrop, MA, USA

Jul 292014

Pacifica

I recently took my 2005 Chrysler Pacifica in to have the air conditioning system repaired and the mechanic called and told me that the engine cradle was rusted out and the car was not safe to drive. I did a quick google search and discovered that this is a known problem with Pacifica's. according to the information that I found, Chrysler originally distributed a letter indicating that it would cover 2004 and 2005 models only to send out a later letter drastically reducing the number of cars that would be covered on the extended warranty. It's apparent that this is a widespread issue. In 1998 Ford recalled 2.6 million vehicles for a similar issue. Chrysler should follow suit and do the same thing.

- Central City, PA, USA

Aug 112014

Pacifica

I have a 2005 Pacifica. The car was in for body work, when a mechanic noticed severe rusting on the frame. He stated that the engine, could fall through the body frame! I did a google search and found hundreds of complaints about the problem. There is a story from a tv station in Florida covering this story. www.nbcmiami.com/investigations/some-Chrysler-Pacifica-owners-say-theyve-had-dangerous-corrosion-problems-with-the-popular-minivan-243624441.html. this is a engineering failure according to my mechanic, who stated they did not included enough drain plugs. My daughter drives this car and I contacted chrylser and they say it is past the warranty. This is unacceptable an engine should never be able to fall out of its mountings!!!!!!

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Aug 062014

Pacifica

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and functioned normally. The problem recurred on three occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the motor mount needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 147,000.

- Louisa, KY, USA