Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

2007 Dodge Caliber electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Feb 042014

Caliber 4-cyl

The low beam headlights went out and both bulbs are known good. Its the tipm total integrated power module that's the culprit and it costs $900 to replace. I'm demanding a total recall on all Dodge Calibers.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Jun 072013

The vehicle had numerous throttle issues and air conditioning issues that numerous auto service shops were not able to fully take care of. When the vehicle was at a stop and the accelerator was pressed, lightly and normally the car would accelerate inappropriately and kind of jerk forward. In addition, when turning and the accelerator is pressed normally the car would seem to lose power and seem to glide into the turn and then jerk forward. These throttle issues were never fully explained or fixed. After a while the car dash started flashing a red electrical bolt and the car would shutter and shake and lose all power. Initially, when this occurred I was able to just turn the car off and wait and then turn it back on and it would function for a while. Also, if the car was idling at a stoplight or parked the electrical bolt would flash and the car would start to shake. After some time the vehicle's left low beam headlight went out. When replaced it still did not work. The vehicle's alternator and battery were checked and found to be functional. Within a week after this occurrence the vehicle could not be started without a "jump" and even so would lose power once parked and could not be started again. I returned the car to the auto mechanic, specifically an auto electrician, and was told it was the totally integrated power module that needs to be replaced at a cost of $700 plus labor. In response to this I researched the part and came across numerous people with the same problem and the same eventual diagnosis. The car has been essentially undrivable and unsafe. There was the constant worry that the electrical problem would happen while on the expressway and cause very unsafe conditions for myself and others on the road. It is my opinion a recall needs to be issued for this problem.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Jun 202013

Caliber 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Caliber R/T I'm at about 183,000km. Earlier this week all the lights in my cluster started flashing, and the chimes started sounding. My car went into what they call "limp" mode where the car shuts down and the fastest you can go is 60km/hr on a flat roadway (and it has to build up to that speed). I was told that the connections to my tipm (total integrated power module) had become corroded and that I would have to have it replaced ($1000 for the part, then there's labour on top of that). On top of that I was told that they would have to check all the wiring to ensure that all the corrosion was taken care of, which would probably cost a whole bunch of money seeing as there is a whole lot of wiring that would have to be checked. The service manager also told me that Chrysler/Dodge is aware of this issue and that it is all due to faulty design. Why should I have to replace such an integral part after the length of time that I've had the car. I could understand something like a general wear and tear part going, but to have to fork out over $1500 dollars to repair just seems ridiculous. The timp (fuse box) in the Calibers fail frequently (this is a safety design flaw that needs recalled) the cost of the timp is not cheap!!!!!!!

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Nov 122013

We've been told we need a fuse box at a cost of $1025. I see many other people are having this same problem. Why isn't Chrysler fixing this? we're on social security, we can't afford this.

- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA

Oct 262013

I noticed that my left (driver side) headlight was out. So I replaced the bulb, which would be the obvious reason for the light not working. However, this did not fix the issue. After further inspection and discussion with a mechanic, it turns out it's the timp that is bad and causing the driver side headlight not to work. In addition, after doing more research online it appears that this issue is more than common with the 2007 Dodge Caliber. I can't see how a recall has not already been filed for this issue given it is a huge safety hazard if one's headlights don't work at night. In addition, it causes someone to be pulled over.

- Quakertown, PA, USA

Dec 052013

While driving on the highway in the dark both of my low beam lights went out leaving me with high beams only. Have found out like numerous other Caliber owners that my tipm needs replaced due to corrosion and that all the wiring needs checked for corrosion as well. Have been told this is a common occurrence with the Dodge Caliber and there is no recall. Since I do not have any warranty left on my vehicle I will be paying for this on my own if I choose to fix it. Since I drive approximately 100 miles round trip to work 5 days a week and am having health issues that require me to travel to the doctor frequently, I will have to find a way to get the money to fix this issue as it is not safe to drive on the highway with no low beam and I can't adjust my work schedule to be able to only drive in the day light. I was wondering how I was going to afford to have any christmas for my family before this due to having serious health issues and now I have to figure out how to pay for a part that should be recalled on top of that.

- Holabird, SD, USA

Nov 042013

Caliber 4-cyl

I first lost the low beam on my driver side head light. I replaced the bulb only to have the same problem. Later that day I was stopped at a red light, my car then stalled out. I put it in park and restarted it. The check engine light started to flash there was little to no power. I managed to pull my car off the road put it into park then restart it again. The check engine light stayed on but was not flashing. I got my car home. I count my blessing that my car didn't die while going at highway speeds. Or lose all the lights and cause an crash. I'm worried to drive it now but I have no choice if I want to keep working. This is a very common issue from what I have read. The totally integrated power module needs to be recalled before it kills people. It is unsafe and causes the car the become a death trap for the driver and all the people around it.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Oct 242013

Caliber 4-cyl

I was slowing down to stop at an intersection and heard a thump on the bottom of the car. As I started to pull forward the steering was very difficult and the I heard a whining sound from the right front tire. I was about a mile from my repair shop so I had my brother follow me with his emergency flashers and drove slowly to the shop where I found out that the subframe was completely rotted through. In the last year, I have had to replace upper and lower control arms and the alternator.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Apr 032012

Caliber 4-cyl

4/3/12 my mechanic would not inspect my car because the fog lights did not work, diagnosis stated that it needed a timp (fuse box bad) - he replaced it. 10/12/13 while I was at Napa auto parts store I was informed that I had not brake lights - diagnosis states that I need to replace the timp again. Thank god there was not an accident - but you must know that this issue with this car is frequent and is a roulette with safety. Brake lights are a safety essential and should never be worried or questioned to know they will work or not? I employ you to have a safety recall on these vehicles.

- Jenners, PA, USA

Sep 032013

Elec locks, windshield wiper(rear), radio, clock, hazard lights, air conditioner, heater would not work and "nofuse" message on dash.

- Keymar, MD, USA

Aug 092013

Driving down the highway, all of my dash lights came on-battery, fuel, temp, etc. Car lost speed and became sluggish. Lost power steering and pulled over. Car immediately died and would not go into park. Locked up completely. After about 30 mins, it started back up and ran for pax 3 blocks before doing it again. Had it towed. Replaced the alternator, then 3 weeks later same issues. Replaced the battery. Did not fix it. Now told its a common issue for the Dodge Caliber and is the control module which is a 1000 dollar part plus labor. And that Dodge is aware of the issue and has not recalled them. I do not feel I should be stuck with the costs of a major repair that is a design flaw from the manufacturer that they have been aware of for years and is obviously a hazard when it shuts down immediately while driving with no warning. My two young children and 84 year old grand mother were with me in 100 degree weather on the side of the highway for hours while waiting on a tow and a family member to come get us since we couldn't ride in the tow truck. After reading forums online, hundreds if not thousands of Caliber owners have had the same issue. Some had cars that were only two weeks old! I would like to request an investigation and hopefully a recall happen.

- Poplar Bluff, MO, USA

Mar 162012

Caliber 4-cyl

Low beam headlight on passenger side will not turn on but the high beam works fine. Have checked wiring and fuses and it seems to be the tipm. Took into a shop and they said that it is the tipm telling the light not to turn on so in other words its a bad tipm. I was made aware that the part would be close to $1200. I've researched this issue online and I see that it is a very common issue. I am now starting to have issues with what I think is a bearing gone bad, still trying to determine this. Today as I was almost home, my charge system light came on. When I got home, so turned car off and let it sit a few minutes, turned the car back and no issues. The 2007 Dodge Caliber seems to have issues. I wrote to Dodge about the headlamp issues with no resolution or that they acknowledge there is an issue. From reading the forums today, it seems my lights or issues may get worse and possibly loose my life or cause a horrible wreck before all of this over. Dodge needs to take the responsibility for all of these issues and recall them so we are not out the huge sums of money that is required to fix this. I am currently unemployed and no unemployment compensation as of yet, I am afraid my once reliable car will just quit on me one day when I least expect or cause lose of life.

- Verolna, KY, USA

Aug 312013

Caliber 4-cyl

I own a 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT. Back in March of this year, the driver's side headlight went out. After replacing the bulb, it still did not work. I looked online for some potential enlightenment as to why and found a multitude of message boards and consumer websites stating this is a common problem with the 2007 Dodge Calibers. It starts with losing a headlight and then escalates to loss of power to the headlights, blinkers, hazard lights, windshield wipers, and sometimes the heating/cooling system and/or radio. Initially, in March, I hadn't experienced that yet. Today, I was driving through a city at approximately 30mph when I went to take a turn and noticed my right blinker wasn't working, so I tried the blinker for the left. That too was not working. Neither were my hazard lights or windshield wipers. I was far from home and afraid to shut the car off, for fear it would not restart so I kept driving home cautiously, trying not to change lanes. It began pouring rain and I was on the highway. I had no headlights, no wipers, and no blinkers or hazards to signal I was going over into the breakdown lane. Once in the breakdown lane, I was not easily visible to the other cars speeding by because of the amount of rain and the fact that I had no hazard lights to rely on. I could easily have been hit or hit someone else while trying to navigate through the rain to safety with no working blinkers, hazards, headlights, or wipers! the worst part is, this is a startlingly common issue with the year, make, and model and Dodge is not offering a recall for this issue with the tipm (totally integrated power module), where the problem is stemming from. The dealership wants to charge me $99 for diagnostics and then over $1,000 for a new tipm. I want to start a class action lawsuit to get Dodge to recall all of the vehicles having these safety issues caused by the tipm failure!!!!

- Nashua, NH, USA

Aug 012013

Passenger headlight not turning on. After replacing bulb it powered on one or two more times then would not turn on again. After much research I have found that the tipm is the result, and that it is very expensive to fix. Since headlight have to pass safety inspections and the tipm appears to be faulty, this should be considered a recall!

- Princeton, TX, USA

Feb 052013

Caliber 4-cyl

On approximately February 5th around 8:00pm my family and I were driving home from being at sister's house and the dash board/instrument panel lighting went completely out. We can no longer see our tachometer or speedometer at night. We contacted our dealership while our warranty was still in effect and to our surprise the warranty did not cover electrical and we were told that it would cost $800+ to have it replaced. Safety hazard. Now at 88,623 miles our transmission is beginning to slip. Dodge needs to fix this.

- Winona, MN, USA

Jun 042013

Caliber 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that while having the vehicle maintenanced, the mechanic advised that the fuel pump wiring had caught fire, burned through the fuel pump and into the fuel tank. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 152,000.

- Canyon , TX, USA

Apr 152013

The driver's side headlight stopped working after flickering on and off for a few weeks. I checked the wiring, changed the bulb, checked for loose connections and all fine. Did some research and found that the totally integrated power module (tipm) is the cause. It appears from what I have seen that numerous people who have Calibers and PT CRUISER have experienced the problem. The two ways I have seen to fix this is to buy a new tipm for $500-$800 dollars, not installed, or rewire it to the passenger light which may cause a fire. This is totally unacceptable! to rely on a $500-$800 part to make sure a headlight works? Dodge needs to be forced to recall the part or provide owners available options at cheaper rates! this is very poor and I hope that NHTSA will assists the 1,000's of owners who are experincing this problem. Thank you!

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Sep 242012

Caliber 4-cyl

Left low beam cut out while driving. I replaced the bulb, still not working. Next day, ABS, esp, brake, traction control lights illuminated. I checked all fuses and found nothing. I replaced all fuses just to be safe, still nothing. I called the dealership to ask what the problem could be. I mentioned the low beam and he immediately said that the tipm needs to be replaced. He stated that he had replaced 3 of the same model that month. After being told the cost of the repair, $ 1,200, I was upset. This is a costly repair. There are numerous complaints found on the internet, especially the Dodge forums, with these same issues. Many people believe that this is a safety issue and it really is. I have not had the part replaced, but after reading a few complaints of the right low beam also failing, I will not drive this car at night or during adverse weather conditions. I really feel that we as consumers should not be required to pay for a part or its replacement, when the car was built with faulty equipment. Hopefully, Dodge will admit this and issue a recall for the tipm before some gets hurt or even worse.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jan 012013

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Caliber. The contact stated that the front passenger air bag warning light illuminated on an intermittent basis. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. After diagnosis, they advised her that there was a voltage failure and the vehicle needed a new battery. The vehicle was repaired by reprogramming the vehicle but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were approximately.

- Livingston, MT, USA

Sep 082012

I purchased the car in December 2011 with the front struts needing to be replaced. The day I bought it, the electrical throttle system light came on and it shook violently and shut off. I waited a few minutes and it started back up. After replacing the struts, and the tire rod ends, the car was fine. By August 2012, the ball joints and tire rod ends needed to be replaced again, and this time the control arm, so I replaced them. In November 2012, I replaced the battery and alternator. In February 2013, the car began shutting off as I would accelerate, making the creaking and rattling noises near the front tires, and the steering wheel would shake and the wheels would sound like they would come off as I would brake from highway speeds. So I took the car to the shop, and once again, the ball joints, tire rod ends, crank shaft, spark plugs, coil pack, oil sensor and a few other things. My check engine light is back on, and it reads gascap, so I replaced it, and two weeks later it is still on. And here it is March 14, 2013 I am hearing the creaking and rattling noises again, and the wobbling sound of the tires and shaking of the steering wheel when I break. Just this morning on my way taking my kids to school, pulling away from a stop light, the car was cutting off. This car is not safe, and I have children. I cannot afford to keep shelling out 1,000 dollars to fix this car every month or every few months. What can be done about this"??"

- Hazel Crest, IL, USA