Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Dodge Caliber has all kinds of suspension problems at relatively low mileage: typically 40-50,000 miles.

The most commonly reported problems are with ball joints & control arms going bad. Tie rods & leaking struts are also reported failing in the same mileage range.

Unfortunately all the suspension problems means some owners only find out after they notice their tires are ruined.

We've given the 2007 Caliber our worst rating because these problems happen at such low mileage, & it involves a wide range of apparently defective parts. With most other cars, major suspension work is pretty rare under 50,000 miles.

2007 Dodge Caliber electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Caliber:

2007 Dodge Caliber Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Nov 152012

Caliber 4-cyl

Engine warning lights flash, warning check engine light disappear, reappear at will, wont start, system failure, loss of power, speed limit acute loss of power, stalling of engine while at freeway speeds, stalling out at 35-40 mph speeds, noise at gas pedal.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Jul 152012

Caliber 4-cyl

Car purchased brand new in 2007 with lifetime powertrain warranty. Driven 99% on interstate at approximately 70 mph. All manufacturer's maintenance recommendations have been followed. While driving approx 72 mph in flow of traffic, car suddenly decelerated to under 35 mph and lightning bolt (electronic throttle control indicator) began flashing. I was nearly hit by a tractor trailer barreling down on my car. I moved to the shoulder, grabbed the manual and read about the light. I turned off the car and turned it back on after about 15 minutes and the car seemed fine and I was able to get home. The next morning, the car wouldn't start. I tried several hours later and it started just fine. About 1 mile down the road in 3rd gear, the car lost speed again dropping from approx 40 mph to 10 mph. The lightning bolt was not on this time, but the check engine light came on. I pulled into the nearby car parts store and they read the engine codes (P2110 and P2118). I took my car to my mechanic at under 10 mph on a 55 mph road. The mechanic got the same codes and indicated that the throttle body probably needed to be replaced. I then contacted the local dealership, indicated what was wrong and was told that they would need me to pay $95 to inspect the vehicle before they could tell me whether or not the parts would be covered under warranty. I told her what part was in question and was told it was not under warranty, despite its drastic effect on the engine. Because it was not covered under warranty or recall, my mechanic worked on it. He cleaned the throttle body and found no problems with it. He then replaced the cam shaft position sensors, which fixed the problem. This is a serious safety issued that will get someone killed, if it hasn't already. It's possible that it has happened and hasn't been reported because a dead person can tell their version of events.

- Stephens City, VA, USA

Nov 252012

Caliber 4-cyl

The left headlight low-beam does not work. Have been stopped 3 times by police for warnings. Have replaced light bulb with new bulb and it still only works on high-beam. Took to auto service center, they also tried to install a new bulb, but it to did not work. Tried tip of removing both battery cables and holding them together for 10 minutes to reset computer code. That also did not work. From searching the internet on this problem, I find that there are many of these vehicals with similar problems. I think these should be recalled by Chrysler because it causes a safety issue when driving at night or during the day when it is raining.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Jan 042012

Caliber 4-cyl

While driving my car at night my right headlight went out, replaced bulb and discovered new bulb does not work, problem was diagnosed as a bad totally integrated power module, so a $20 lamp turned into a costly $1200 repair, what if all lights went out? as I investigated this issue it is very common on Chrysler/Dodge vehicles, this occurrence of failure can and will be a danger if you encounter failure whiling driving at night and lose all lights or other components, I believe Chrysler /Dodge should be held accountable for this failure in their design of this necessary component in their vehicles and a safety recall should be ordered! thank you

- Highland Lakes, NJ, USA

Jan 022012

Caliber 4-cyl

2007 Dodge Caliber - totally integrated power module (tipm) unit issue low beam headlights stopped working while operating vehicle. Only high beam lights work. Local garage diagnosed problem as faulty totally integrated power module, with a repair cost of $1225. Headlights are a necessary component to the safe operation of a vehicle. Dodge ought to look into the issue of faulty tipm units and the safety implications inherent in failure of the component. The safety of the families traveling in vehicles manufactured by Dodge ought to be of the greatest concern.

- Portland, OR, USA

Nov 192012

Caliber 4-cyl

Tipm-, battery terminals/holds downs, tbody. I found these issues and went to the dealer in relation to these problems after I had done my investigation. They saw me with the information I had, and began to run in the other direction. I told them what was wrong with the vehicle. I just had surgery and was inhaling the carbon from the vehicle. This is a major electrical issue and cad light problem. The vehicle only goes 20 mph. Chrysler released this vehicle to its customers for loan or purchase with a faulty design in place. Chrysler knew of this and proceeded to sale this vehicle in an order to make money and not looking at the risk that we as customers would be taking as well as them. Chrysler didn't even bother to have a recall for this issue. I as a consumer feel cheated and want to be compensated for my loss. The vehicle is not in drive mode and I am not risking the life my son and I for this major mistake on their part.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 012012

Caliber 4-cyl

Having electrical issues with the low beams on the headlights. It started as one light not working, then went to both lights not working. We have to use the high beams at night. The car is due a safety inspection and will not pass due to the lighting problem. There's also issues with the electric windows not operating and the check engine light comes on. I have spoken with Chrysler about the problem and they will not do anything because our warranty has run out. They did say that if a recall were to happen I could get reimbursed. We do not have the funds to fix it. Updated 11/29/12

- Cary, NC, USA

Oct 062012

Caliber 4-cyl

I was driving to work going up a hill when the car shook a little and started to decelerate. I noticed there was a blinking symbol on the dash of a lightning bolt between two lines. I was not able to accelerate fast enough to keep my speed going up the hill, and decelerated very quickly. Anytime I was at a stop light it took about 5 seconds before I was even able to move forward. During the 5 seconds, the car seemed like it was going to stall at the intersection. Once I reached work I looked up the light in the owners manual and found it to be an electronic control light. I tried turning off the car and turning it back on only to realize that nothing had changed. This could easily cause an accident and from what I understand there is no fix, only theories.

- Layton, UT, USA

May 242012

Caliber 4-cyl

First my car started to sound like a dryer full of ball bearings the ball bearing the oem ones in the alternator went out. There is no replacement pulley so the whole alternator had to be replaced $600+ (found out this is a common problem in 2007 Dodge Calibers) then while pulling out of the parking lot my tire fell off due to faulty/worn-out I ball joints and upper and lower control arms.. had to replace the entire front end suspension $1400+! (this is a major complaint as I have found online. I have read over 200 different complaint statements) not to mention my ABS light was on and they had to change out my speed sensor 100 +. then my ck engine light came on 2 weeks after the entire front end suspension was replaced when I drove the car it would shake and acted like it was losing power & would not let me accelerate past 35 mph. I took it in it had several stored codes. One was then intake manifold was stuck and the other was the camshaft.. they cleared it out and only the manifold came back up so they said I had to replace that. We did $800 + I picked it up & a day later it was doing the same thing now saying multi. Cylinder misfire & camshaft they cleared it and test drove it but it did not come back on so the Dodge tech. Has no clue what to do to fix it & no clue on the cost ( this has also been a problem on 2007 Dodge Calibers) this has all happened within the last 3 months and my car has about 86000 to 87000 mi on it! I"M fed up this car is falling apart. As I have read Dodge knows of these issues & has done nothing about it I have also called and made my complaint no call back yet..any open lawsuits on this" I would even be happy if Dodge would reimburse me for these issues as obviously they are well documented known issues. I have spent way to much on this car in 3 months and @ 7 months pregnant with a 6 year old I need a safe reliable car!

- Conroe , TX, USA

Jun 082012

Caliber 4-cyl

Low beam headlight on passenger side will not turn on took into a shop and they said that it is the tipm telling the light not to turn on so in other words its a bad tipm. I was made aware that the part would be close to $1200. I've researched this issue online and I see that it is a very common issue. The other day the driver side decided to turn off as well. What happens when I'm driving in the dark and the one headlight that I do have decides to turn off and I get into an accident. A recall needs to be set into motion on this part. Apparently the tipm causes many issues other than just what I'm experiencing.

- Perrysburg, OH, USA

Aug 272008

Caliber 4-cyl

The recall cannot be completed because of faulty wiring by viking Dodge of crystal lake. This dealership is out of business. I have documentation that the cruise control installed by viking Dodge was not a mopar approved part. I have furnished Chrysler all the documentation stating that this is causing a problem with the throttle pedal. They have told me I am responsible for correcting the incorrect installation by one of there old dealerships.

- Longwood , FL, USA

Apr 022007

Caliber 4-cyl

While the vehicle was under warranty, the rear wiper and the radio stopped functioning normally. The wiper did not work at all, and the radio was losing the sound when the engine was running but was normal when on acc. Dealer re flashed the tipm and said if it ever happened again, I should disconnect the battery and hold the leads together for about five minutes and it should function normally again. A few months later, the rear wiper stopped and the radio began to fade out once again. I disconnected the battery as instructed but to no avail. Both dealers I took my vehicle to have gone out of business. The nearest dealer is over 200 miles away. I have lived with this problem now for two years. Now, mysteriously, the rear wiper has begun to function once again all by its self. The radio?.....not at all. I have been told that the tipm is probably at fault. I suggested that to the mechanic while my vehicle was still under warranty but I was assured that there was nothing wrong with the tipm so Dodge would not replace the unit. This is the second time a Dodge component of mine had failed while under warranty and Dodge would not replace the unit. Dodge would wait until after my vehicle(s) were out of warranty and at that point I was told the unit(s) needed replacement. Is this some kind of scam that automobile dealers run? I feel that Dodge should replace my tipm at no cost to me since I specifically noted this issue while the vehicle was still under warranty.

- Mammoth Lakes, CA, USA

Jul 252011

I purchased this car used from a dealership due to the fact that I have an hour drive to and from work and it appeared to have great gas mileage. Within my first two weeks of ownership the starter was stuck engaged as I drove and caught fire. This I replaced knowing with age, starters and alternators die. A month after servicing the starter, I was driving on the interstate at a speed of 67mph in heavy traffic when a lightening bolt (electronic throttle control sensor light) flashed and the car jerked as if it were to stall. I contacted my local Dodge dealer who informed me that it probably was the throttle body and that I might as well drive the car for a bit because the light was not staying lit. Every since then the light has flashed on atleast once a month with the car violently jerking as to stall. I started the car last week and the idle was miserable so figured the throttle body had gone. Took the car to the local dealership to read codes on the pc. Code was for the throttle body. The throttle body was replaced by a certified dealership mechanic. Within 30 miles and 30mins after leaving the garage the car was jerking to stall as before but the light was not on. Seem to be a serious problem considering stall on interstate at those speeds and hit by a semi would cause instant death. The value of my car is no longer high but you can guarantee the loan and payments are. I am a preschool teacher and make a very small income. Took car instantly back to dealership but I know they will find nothing, charge to much, and send me on my way with a death sentence. Seems as though Dodge/Chrysler has decided that as long as no deaths it is ok to carry on with this refusal to admit that they made a bad product. How about robbing! all I want is my car fixed but of course they will not admit anything. Suppose I will have to call the news, fax the CEO's, and die.

- Caldwell, OH, USA

Feb 212012

Caliber 4-cyl

While driving over the whitestone bridge in NY, at the crest of the bridge the vehicles electronic throttle control failure reducing the speed of vehicle from 50 mph to 5 mph in the course of less then a minute. I was nearly killed by a tractor trailer truck who was able to swerve around my car. The cart rolled down the bridge with limited power. From all the complaints I am reading on various Caliber websites this seems to be a serious dangerous condition that should be reviewed before someone gets killed.

- Rockville Centre, NY, USA

Feb 062012

Caliber 4-cyl

I have had constant problems with this car. My key abruptly stopped working last year and I have to pay $500 because the dealership said the computer could no longer recognized my key so I had to get a new one. My gear shaft began to jam and I had to pay $200 to get a chip replaced because it was shot. Now my totally incorporated power module was shot today when I took it to get checked at the dealership today. The cost is estimated to be $1150. I am sick and tired of all the problems this car is presenting in my life.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 162012

The lights behind the dash went out without warning. There is no way to see speed in the dark. There are many existing cases online. Dodge immediately recognized the issue when called and was not concerned about safety issue.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Nov 012010

Caliber 4-cyl

Problems with the totally integrated power module. My head lights are not working properly.

- Solgohachia, AR, USA

Nov 112011

At approx 6pm on 11/11 while attempting to enter the interstate my vehicle began to jerk violently. The check engine light began to blink and the vehicle would not exceed 35 mph. I took the vehicle to a local autozone to have it diagnostic. Multiple misfires on all cylinders. I had the spark plugs replaced that weekend because my dealers repair shop was full. Problem still occurred so I left the car at the dealer for them to check the engine. The camshaft sensor needs to be replaced. This is not covered under the 50,000 miles engine and power train warranty because it is not a moving part. I just had to replace both ball joints and upper and lower control arms on the car in June. It is currently at 42,600 miles. The alignment is off again so I'm suspecting the ball joints are going bad again.

- Wernersville, PA, USA

Oct 272011

Caliber 4-cyl

Was driving 35-40 mph when etc light came on and car was jolting forward and losing power back and forth. Belletire wouldn't touch it cuz they said it seemed to them like a recall issue. He said that either the ECU needed reset or the drive by wire system was malfunctioning. This is also after my control arms were bad at 48000 mile. Both of these problems I have had have thousands of complaints online for them and are notorious for these problems.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Oct 062011

Caliber 4-cyl

I had the car for a year and when I went to get my annual inspection, the inspection place stated the car computer chip is not able to read.

- Winston Salem , NC, USA