2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 11 of 14)

Sep 112013

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling vehicle, the engine died within half mile on road. Put car in neutral to start engine, drove another 1-2 miles where car stalled and died again. Has happened after filling up car and only with full tank, stalling occurs within 0-15 miles, then does not stall. Have read several posting and discussions about this issue with same model/year cars. Heard about possible investigation for faulty fuel/vapor separator valve with cuts off fuel to engine and causes engine to stall. Had this happened to a driver who did not know how to react properly, or had a distracted driver not see my car stalled or stopped, this could have resulted in a serious problem. I had no power steering or power brakes and was not able to immediately restart vehicle in traffic, after momentary loss of power and finally able to restart the engine was I able to maneuver off the roadway safely.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Sep 122013

Car drove perfectly fine I stopped at family dollar for 5 minutes came out car would not start heard a engine noise towed it home mechanic said he pulled the plugs they were bent from the piston hitting it. Also, the piston had a hole in it I need a new engine no warning signs or nothing. Mechanic says he sees this very often on 06 Chargers.

- Byram, MS, USA

Aug 012006

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled and all of the warning lamps illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 27,400.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Sep 122013

Charger 8-cyl

I was driving my 2006 Dodge Charger after just getting it out of the shop. With no notice the car began to overheat I immediately pulled over and called a tow truck. When the tow truck arrived the car wouldn't start. Went to Dodge where they said I either needed a new engine or they might be able to save the other one first I had to pay $370 for the test. I should not be dealing with engine issues at 95K miles. The government needs to fix this or everyone should file a class action lawsuit against Dodge for this defect.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 062012

Charger 8-cyl

First instance was on Sunday, 6 May 2012. Car stalled after turning onto city street while accelerating to posted speed: 35 mph. If fuel tank is filled to click on gas pump (full tank) this continues to happen, especially in very humid weather conditions/rain. Car has also stalled on hills at stop signs or traffic lights and has stalled at on-ramps to local interstate highway/city bypass, given the above full fuel tank issue. If I don't fill the tank above the 7/8 mark on the fuel gage indicator, the car does not stall. If I exceed the 7/8 mark, then the car does stall, multiple times if very humid conditions exist and will continue until the fuel tank is at or below 7/8 capacity. I've had approximately 22 stalls since Sunday 6 May 2012. It's inconvenient to have to guess when to stop the fuel pump at gas stations and very frightening to stall in traffic, especially at on-ramps to highways.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Jul 252013

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling vehicle drove approximately.25 mi and vehicle stalled. Attempted to restart vehicle and after a couple tries was able to restart and move to a safe location. Vehicle stayed running until I went to back out and then stalled again. I let car sit for a bit and was able to drive it home safely. Took to a shop the next day where they could not find any codes stating an issue. Car seems to be running fine for now, but I am fearful of when this will happen again.

- Glendora, CA, USA

Sep 022013

Charger 8-cyl

I was coming to a stop at a red light. The car began to shake like it was a manual transmission and was stalling, the car is an automatic. We stopped at the stop light and realized the engine had shut off. I put the vehicle in park, removed the key, and attempted to restart. It attempted 3-4 times to restart with no luck. I exited the vehicle to endure the gas cap was on and it was. After waiting for about 1-2 minutes I attempted to restart and was successful. This was about 2 miles after filling up the tank. This seems very similar to the currently pending investigation. It has not happened since but I have not filled up the gas tank since either.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Sep 012013

Charger 8-cyl

On several occasions in the past 6-8 months I have experienced engine stalling after filling my 2006 Dodge Charger up with gasoline. In addition to the stalling, on one occasion the engine cut off completely. Thankfully, I was in a low traffic area and it didn't cause a crash. The stalling does not happen when the engine is filled up partially or with about $20 worth of gasoline. On September 1st after leaving the grocery store, my husband went to start the car and it started smoking profusely. The car was towed to the dealership. According to the dealership there was oil in the gas tank and, the engine was destroyed. One of the diagnosis codes indicated that cylinder # 5 had misfired. This problem has the potential to be extremely dangerous. Chrysler doesn't seem to care at all.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Sep 132006

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while at a stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure would recur intermittently after refueling. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000 and the current mileage was 42,867..... updated 10-17-13 the consumer stated the engine stalling happened occasionally after re-fueling and driving a short distance, then coming to a stop or slowing to make turn.

- Covington, KY, USA

Aug 222011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 35,000.

- Villa Park, IL, USA

Aug 112013

Charger 8-cyl

Went to start my Dodge Charger R/T and the engine made a unknown terrible loud noise and then would not start. I've had issues with the car stalling while driving and when coming to a complete stop the car would die. But I've never experienced this terrible loud noise of the engine. It's clear this engine shouldn't have had this malfunction at the mileage the car is currently at, I believe this to be true as I towed the car to the Dodge dealership for inspection of the engine and they had stated this malfunction shouldn't have happened at this mileage if at all. Dodge refuses to open the engine to determine the exact issue with the engine without my fronting $480. I called Dodge/crystal corporate customer service who did not want to offer any assistance and they advised to file a compliant with NHTSA. I want Dodge to either repair the vehicle or to buy the vehicle for the amount I currently have invested. I strongly believe Dodge is to blame as I have researched this issue and have found this is not an isolated occurrence.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Aug 142013

Charger 8-cyl

Minutes after filling my tank with gas, I drove less than a mile and turned into a parking lot. I was still driving, around 15 mph, when I heard a ding, and immediately noticed a loss of steering control. I pressed the brake and quickly noticed a loss of braking as well. It was then I realized the car had stalled while I was still moving! thankfully I had no one around and was on a straight stretch where I could slowly come to a stop, put it in park and restart. I pulled into a parking space, and the car proceeded to stall out 2 more times just sitting there. There was no warning symptoms ahead of time - perfectly smooth idle at the correct RPM, then it just drops to 0 as if the key were turned off. I ran into the store for less than 2 minutes, came out and drove home. I haven't seen any problems since then (this happened less than 24 hours ago). There were no codes thrown. I've owned this car since '07 when it had 5K miles on it. With a little over 88K miles I've never seen anything like this happen before. Needless to say if this happened in traffic it would be highly dangerous. Note: This is a 2006 daytona R/T. early manufacture date of 9/22/2005.

- Stratham, NH, USA

Aug 132013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling my car up at a gas station I was entering the freeway and my car sputtered and stalled on me on the on ramp to the freeway. I was almost rear ended and the car locked up and it was difficult to steer. Further diagnoses from the dealership showed that the evap valve was bad on the car and needed a new gas tank. Apparently this problem is happening with a lot of Dodge Chargers, magnums and Chrysler 300's.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Jul 042013

Drove to a business and once placed in park, the gear shift became stuck. Called aaa, they were going to tow it, then another driver showed up for aaa and knew just what to do. He takes apart the case that goes around the gear shift and presses on a pink colored emergency park release lever, ( why is that even an option??!!! ) it was obviously not attached to any thing as it fell down into the space around the shifter and still resides there. The discussion of towing it came up again, then we noticed a cable attached to the shifter and after playing with it have developed a system to unlatch it from park. You have to pull the cable to the left with a pen to disable the gear shift. Today I took it to where I bought it and they told me there was a recall on this and to take it to the Dodge dealership. The Dodge dealership knew just what I was talking about, but denies a recall on this. I am scheduled to have it fixed Monday the 12th. I don't feel I should have to keep paying for faulty equipment, this car has been a disaster since I bought it. The front end has been fixed about 4 times for vigorously shaking and a god awful rattling noise ( goes away for a short time then returns shortly after being fixed!!), numerous tires have been bought because that must be the problem too ( out of the mouths of the dealership), the tire pressure light stays on, the ABS light system malfunctions and has left me with a no brake sensation on multiple occasions. I have always owned Dodge, but next time I purchase a vehicle it wont be a Dodge.

- Lebanon, MO, USA

Feb 152012

After refueling, the car stalled upon moderate acceleration. I thought it was a one time issue, but took it to a Dodge dealership after the third incident. They could find nothing wrong with the car. After extensive research online, I found that the problem is apparently with a purge solenoid valve that cannot be replaced without the entire gas tank being replaced, as well as the evap canister. The car has been doing this more and more frequently, almost to the point of doing it every fill up. If it doesn't stall when the engine is restarted, it does it randomly within a few minutes of driving. Either while accelerating, or cruising. This is a large safety issue, as my wife drives this car into the city of cincinnati for work, and the car has stalled after she refuels. We are not leaving the engine running during refueling, and we are not topping off the tank. I have done research online and it appears to be happening to several people. This problem has occurred sporadically on multiple occasions, and I have barely avoided crashing a few times when the car stalled while I was turning. The car is a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with the 5.7L hemi engine.

- Sunman, IN, USA

Jan 012013

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle jerked followed by the illumination of the oil light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Makin , GA, USA

Jul 132013

Charger 8-cyl

After fill up of gas tank csr will start and drive normal for approx 1 mile then begin to stall out. This happens while gas pedal is being depressed and while braking. After driving the vehicle for approx 10 to 15 min the stalling stops. This happens after every gas fill up.

- Wappingers , NY, USA

Dec 272012

Charger 8-cyl

While driving the vehicle the engine will unexpectedly stop. The event has happened several times. Often it occurs after fueling. The vehicle has been into a garage for repair but the problem continues. Sometimes when the event occurs the only way to restart the vehicle is to place the vehicle in park, press the accelerator all the way to the floor and turn on the ignition.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jul 062013

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that both radiator fans overheated and began rubbing together. The contact was told by a mechanic that they were lucky to have them replaced before they became fractured and entered the radiator. The vehicle was repaired and both fans were replaced. The failure and the current mileages were 72,300.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jan 102013

Charger 8-cyl

My car have mis fire cylinder 1 it shakes when it cold then after a while it goes away, transmission driving bad out of no where going only 30 miles the fastest in my car stuck in park.

- Miami, FL, USA