2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 10 of 14)

Nov 072013

Charger 8-cyl

My car has stalled 3 separate times right after I have re-fueled. When driving away from the gas station and onto the street it has sputtered and then turned off in the middle of the street. My vehicle will constantly turn off making it unsafe to drive it. I have once been in the middle of the intersection when my vehicle stalled, I am lucky I was not struck by another vehicle. But as you can see it is extremely dangerous having this happen when driving.

- Carson, CA, USA

Aug 262013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls out and loss of power while stopping for stop light. Oil light comes on after stalling out but no engine light or fault code shows up. Car usually starts up right away but does take a couple of tries at times. Car also jerks around like starving for fuel. Had a tune up done, fuel system cleaned and was told that the shop could not duplicate the problem. This is very discerning to myself and my family due to safety. A car that stalls for no reason or warning is a huge safety issue.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jul 112012

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up with gas the vehicle will stall out and die. Especially after a stop or making a sharp turn. If you fill the tank halfway or 3/4 the problem does not happen.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Nov 192013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up with gas this morning, as I accelerated away from the gas station the car began to buck and jerk. It smoothed out for a little while, then after accelerating away from the next stoplight it jerked and made a loud noise. This is heavy Suburban traffic, so very stop-and-go. The car began to stall, and only restart if I depress the accelerator all the way to the floor while starting. Go a little bit further, then buck and stall again. Very dangerous! I'm learning through online vehicle forums that this is a relatively common problem with this year/make/model vehicle's gas tank and the integral "roll-over" valve which is supposed to prevent liquid fuel from entering the engine, yet the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge a faulty design that is leading to potentially dangerous situations. Will it take accidents, fires and death to make it a higher priority?

- Cary, IL, USA

Nov 142013

Charger 8-cyl

While I was driving approximately 35 mph my vehicle suddenly stalled causing me to lose power to the motor and power to the steering and brakes. I had to quickly pull off to the side of the road as the traffic was heavy and I had no power to control my car. This was a dangerous situation and I fear it may happen again. I have read about (Dodge Charger forum) many other owners of similar vehicles that this problem occurs shortly after you fill up the gas tank. I did just fill the gas tank prior to my car stalling incident. I feel this is a dangerous defect that develops on this vehicle and it needs to be looked into immediately.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Aug 012012

Charger 8-cyl

The engine stalls while idling or driving at low speeds, especially around corners. Problem only occurs when gas tank is full or near full. This is a safety issue and needs resolved immediately.

- North Port, FL, USA

Nov 012013

Charger 8-cyl

Every time I fuel up mt Charger R/T, it stalls when I am stopped. It has happened the last 3 times I have fueled my car. No lights come on in dash, nor any warnings. Sometimes it will just sputter when I go to take off. After a day it goes back to normal.

- Kempner, TX, USA

Aug 152013

My car will stall intermittently for the first 2-3 days after I fill the fuel tank. Usually at a stop, but it has happened at highway speeds twice.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 082013

Vehicle stalled again today (October 19th, 2013) with no warning while making a left-hand turn at a major intersection. Filled up earlier today with no top off. Has happened multiple times prior since (May 2013). Dealer can not diagnose. Normally happens after fuel fill up. After complaining multiple times to the dealer, replaced all spark plugs and performed a transmission flush and re flashed the PCM at my expense, despite having warranty coverage through 2015 120K miles because they could not repeat the problem on a 5 minute test drive. The vehicle stalled again two days later. After more visits no solution has been met and this car is extremely unsafe.

- Ogdensburg, NY, USA

Apr 252013

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling up, I pulled out of the gas station and onto a main road. About 300yards from the gas station. I accelerated to approximately 40mph, in the middle of the intersection my car "dinged" the oil light came on and my engine shut down. I lost all ability to turn, or break. This is a very dangerous situation. I feared for my life. I originally thought it was because I let the fuel levels get too low, after, I realized if I fill up all the way, this always occurs. God forbid if I were to be entering on to a freeway at a higher rate of speed. Since this has happened to me 3+ times, I am very scared and nervous to drive my car. Something as to be done. Please, before someone gets killed because the gas tank and evap canister are screwy! I. ant get any dealership or mechanic to fix it without replacing the whole tank, ($$$$$$$).

- Port Aransas, TX, USA

Oct 142013

Charger 8-cyl

This is a brand new engine put in by Dodge and has only 3000 miles since it was replaced 4 months ago. I filled up the gas tank today and within a minute of pulling away from gas station as I was making a left turn, the engine ceases and stops. I tried to re start it didn't start right away. After 2 tries it started and about a minute later as I pressed on the brakes to turn left the car stalls out again.

- Northvale, NJ, USA

Oct 042013

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated the piston had failed causing the engine head to fracture. The mechanic stated the engine would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Nov 222011

Charger 8-cyl

Every time you fill up the gas tank the car wants to stall. I'm told there is a solenoid in the gas tank that fails and it lets raw fuel go to the evap canister causing a stall condition. This solenoid valve is molded into the gas tank and the only way to fix it is to replace the gas tank. This stall can happen while your sitting at a stop light or just pulling out into an intersection. The intersection situation is very dangerous.

- Bartonville, IL, USA

Oct 092013

Engine stalled out while driving on freeway after filling up with gas. Three different occasions dropped valve seats, 8/2011 and 9/2013.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 222010

2006 Dodge Charger R/T. this has been going on for years, I read about others having similar issues and decided to contribute mine as well as it happened again the other day when I accidentally refilled all the way. When you fill the tank all the way, the vehicle stalls immediately and will continue stalling until the gas tank is no longer "completely full." The only easy way to fix without taking something apart is to repeatedly restart the car until enough gas burns off. Even with taking care to not fill the tank all the way, going up certain hills seem to cause the stall as well. No check engine light, just power cuts off. One single chime from the car as the oil light turns on. You can restart it but obviously this is bad when it happens in traffic. Seems to stall most at stoplights and other idle conditions but can also stall in low speed scenarios. Never got fast enough to tell if it would happen there too. According to both independent mechanic and dealer, this is a valve inside the fuel tank which would require an expensive fuel tank replacement to fix - the mechanic said they had seen a lot of them, but there was no recall so it would be at my expense to fix.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Oct 072013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the car with gas, and driving approximately 1 to 2 miles, the car stalled after making a left turn and starting to accelerate. I was able to restart the car and drive home. The next day the car acted like it was going to stall again after making a turn and starting to accelerate, but it didn't. this problem started in December of 2012 when the car had about 40000 miles on it. After researching the problem on the internet, I stopped topping off the gas tank and the problem did not re-occur until October 2013. I am concerned that the problem is getting worse and even if I don't fill the gas tank, the car will stall after driving it a few miles. Fortunately, every time the car stalled I was turning on to a quiet street with little traffic, but this is a very dangerous problem that requires a recall from Dodge.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 072013

Charger 8-cyl

This has been an on-going problem that we've been chasing for several years. The car will stall while driving, usually without warning sometimes the gauges will drop and the warning "ding" will sound. Most of the time the car will restart, however there has been instances that it has to sit for awhile before restarting. In any case, it is a safety concern since it will stall while driving. I've had it happen on the highway as well as on city streets. There are times in which we have to restart the car multiple times in order to get the gauges and headlights to turn on when this happens the tail lights, and brake lights don't work either. It is clear there is an electrical issue with these cars, I hope Dodge takes care of their customers and resolves the issues that are occurring before someone gets killed.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Aug 182012

Charger 8-cyl

I was traveling on the highway and my car stalled and had to coast to the shoulder in August 2012. This again happened May 2013. The last incident occurred September 21st pulling out of a parking lot. The car started back up after each occasion.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Sep 302013

Charger 8-cyl

I had refueled the car and drove about 10 miles toward my home, as I turned into my neighborhood the car stalled and would not restart. I coasted to my residence and stopped the car and turned the key to the off position. After 10 minutes I tried to start the car and it did, then surged and died again. Restarted the car again and pulled it in to the garage and shut it down.

- Broken Arrow , OK, USA

Sep 252013

I just got done filling my car with gas and while pulling up to the very first light after the gas station the car completely shut off. I kept trying to start it and it would just shut back off. After 5 minutes of that I was finally able to drive away. Now my engine light is on also.

- Portland, OR, USA