2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 13 of 15)

Dec 212012

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up my fuel tank up for the first time the car was hard to restart. Once the car started the she kept cutting out and even died twice. This happened while I was in traffic. Since that time every time I filled the tank I have the same issue. I have had to resort to only filling the car up to 3/4 tank to avoid this issue.

- Franklin, OH, USA

May 012013

Charger

Stopped for gas on rt 9 in New Jersey filled tank got back on highway was doing 50mph when car stalled almost got hit by traffic close call started rite up again kept stalling. Got to side of road car started rite up but trying to merge on hi way was scary. Finally got back on highway..just thought was bad gas. Next week got gas in different gas staton kept stalling again....using computer found out other people having same problem.gas cant be filled..from that time I was buying lower amounts of gas. Car was ok..discovered the car can never be filled up. Changed gas cap same problem. I found out its a Dodge Charger problem it will cost me $2,000 to change filler tube and gas tank but no warranties Dodge will not fix problem.

- Staten Island , NY, USA

May 242013

Charger 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger 5.7 hemi I had just filled my car with gas completely full until the one click of the handle, replaced the fuel cap closed the fuel door and started the engine ran just fine, I make a left turn out of the gas station make it about 100 feet and it stalls I lose all power and it dies I was able to restart the engine but it continued to this for several days I was told it was the fuel pump so I replaced the pump and still had the same issues do I took it to the local Dodge dealership after three days I was told it was possibly a bad coil pack but they could not tell me which one it was they replaced all plugs and one pack it now runs but not the way it should I looked up similar issues and kept coming across the same problem with other Chargers of the same year that it was something to do with the gas tank.

- Galena, KS, USA

Jun 242013

Charger 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger. I had my oil changed and all fluids checked at a Dodge dealership on a Wednesday. That following Sunday while traveling through town, the engine overheated. After much investigation, it was determined that the radiator fan motors have locked up. This happened quite suddenly and I am now without a vehicle. There were no warning symbols other than the overheating. I found a service bulletin on line that pertains to the replacement of the radiator fans on 2006 Dodge Chargers. I called Chrysler and was told that my car was not manufactured in the factory that has the service bulletin pertained to. I then called my Dodge dealership and my service writer stated that service bulletins do not mean the expenses are paid for and I have no recalls on my VIN number. Therefore, Dodge can not help me and my out of pocket could range anywhere from $500 to over $1,000. The service writer further stated to have the car towed into the dealership immediately and they will diagnose the problem for an additional $100. I bought my car new and the manufacturers refuse to help. Is there anything I can do?

- Richmond, VA, USA

Nov 012010

Charger 8-cyl

The vehicle occasionally hesitates, stutters and stalls shortly after fuel fill-ups. There are times this occurs pulling out from the fuel station, and times where it occurs a few miles down the road. This is very dangerous when the cars stalls in traffic (merging, turning, etc.).

- Waldorf, MD, USA

May 172013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls after refueling and pulling out of the gas station (into traffic). Then, it is hard to start and sputters and stalls for some time. It appears to be an issue with the fuel tank vent valve failing to shut off when the tank if full. This allows raw fuel to enter the evaporation system which probably ruins the evaporation canister as well. The fuel tank vent valve is integrated into the fuel tank so, the fuel tank has to be replaced in order to fix the primary issue. Other components in the evaporation system may need to be replaced as they were not designed to have raw fuel in them.

- Milford, DE, USA

Jun 182013

Charger 8-cyl

After refueling the car, the engine cut off as I was pulling out into traffic and getting up to speed. It just stalled"!?!"

- Chestnut Hill Cove, MD, USA

Apr 162013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled when driving shortly after fueling. Engine started again after cranking for several seconds, but strong smell of gasoline after starting. No further problems with the vehicle until the next refuel. This has been happening repeatedly after refueling ever since the original incident on the date given. This may have been happening periodically over the past 2 years, but before this it was infrequent enough that we really didn't pay any attention to it. We never top off the tank, stopping fueling after the nozzle initially clicks off.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 132013

Charger

As pulling into business parking lot, noticed suddenly internal car temperature raised suddenly. As I pulled into parking space noticed the temp. Gauge went from med. To hot within seconds simultaneously the warning light came on and beeped. In reviewing the manufacturer manual, was advised to shut of engine immediately and take in to dealer for service. I contacted my sales representative that I purchased the vehicle from for advise. We determined due to nature of problem, the vehicle should not go far. I took to local midas service department whom advised there was a general recall notice. I called local dealership that denied complaints or liability for my VIN. I then call Chrysler customer service that also denied knowledge of any safety notices. I requested the cost for repair; however, 1.5 later no estimate. I decided to check online myself thought it in the best interest of current/future Dodge owners to initiate an investigation complaint.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 312013

Charger

Filled up gas a local citgo 7 eleven gas station. Pulled away about 100- 200ft car stalled as I was making left turn into moving traffic my daughter was in back seat. No engine light indicator or anything. Place car back in park and restarted. This has happened a few times. First time had to get some sensor relay replaced. Not to long ago. Since then about a week later after fueling over the weekend went to work stopped at a mcdonalds came out to drive a street over to work card would not start. Held down gas pedal car started shaking had and white smoke came out exhaust. I placed car in drive drove to work parking lot as I was putting in reversed it stalled again. Shaking real hard. Got towed to myers automotive and they advised Dodge Chargers 2006 rt 5.7L are having these engine problems with cylinders and lifter/valves.

- White Plains, MD, USA

Jun 052013

Charger

Before arriving at work stopped at mcdonalds to get coffee. After 10min return to car and tried to start and would not start. I turned key again car started shaking and started with white smoke coming out of exhaust. Car was shaking real hard I stepped on gas pedal and place it in drive I drove to the next street to work location and as I was putting car in reversed car cut off again. I started it again smoke again came out I put in reverse while giving gas and backed car into parking spot at work location. I called tow truck J & J towing they came and I started car and drove unto flatbed and had towed to myers automotive mechanics. They said the valve/cylinder #2 had broken cause spark plug to bend and melted other things and that this year of the 2006 Dodge Charger rt with the hemi 5.7 was know for this issue they have had tremendous amount of problems with these models/make of Dodge and that even getting a used one it would do the same. They advised a new manufactured one that Dodge apparently have revised editions. They need to replaced all these engine issues that they have known about but left the consumer to deal with unfortunately.

- White Plains, MD, USA

Dec 252012

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after refueling, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who believed that the failure was contributed to the motor oil. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Apr 022013

Charger 8-cyl

As I was driving across the desert on I-10 in Arizona, all of a sudden my car lost all engine power. The lights on the dash chimed, my rpms dropped to zero, then just as suddenly they all went right back to normal and the engine jerked us forward as the tranny figured out what gear it belonged in. It started like that, only happening on occasion. Now, I can't make it more than 1-2 miles (literally) without stalling out or losing engine fire. If it happens when I'm at a low mph the car just stalls out and died. No power steering or brakes, but the lights and radio are working. On the hwy at higher speeds, it lurches as described above. On the on-ramp, however, it becomes a life or death situation, especially when starting on a downhill ramp with a big rig wailing up behind me. I have been missed by truly only inches on multiple occasions. I can't afford a new car, they can't find what's wrong with mine, and I can't sell a vehicle that won't make it for a test drive. Can we please get a fix" answers? wasn't it my tax dollars that bought this company out of bankruptcy"

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 152012

Charger 8-cyl

Nearly every time I refuel the vehicle it stalls 4-6 times in the first 5 miles. This has left me in turns without power steering, on highway on ramps without power steering or brakes, and sitting in busy intersections attempting to re-start the car. It is worse if I turn left after gassing up - car will immediately die while in the intersection. This has happened approximately 30 times in the last 10 months.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Jun 032013

Charger 8-cyl

During start-up engine "spun a bearing" and developed a "rod knock" according to the dealership engine mechanic.

- Yorktown , VA, USA

Feb 252013

Charger 8-cyl

Filled gas tank till the pump auto shut off. Pulled out onto the highway, accelerated to about 20 mph, let off to turn at next intersection and car stalled. Restarted and pulled into a parking lot and the car stalled again. Waited 10 minutes and restarted, ran rough until got back on interstate. Has happened again on 6/6/2013.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Oct 102011

Charger

The car stalls while driving. It completely shuts off with a loss of all power. Shifting to neutral and restarting while in motion typically works to regain power. This has happened numerous times over the last several months, with no pattern as to when or why. The car has been taken to the dealer twice to no avail.

- Maylene, AL, USA

May 042013

Charger 6-cyl

While driving on the highway going 60mph in the center lane during busy traffic and it was dark, the vehicle just shut completely off. I also had a my 14 month baby in the car. There was lost of power, steering was lost. I had to shift it in neutral and glide to the shoulder lane almost being hit by a truck. I turned the key off and tried to restart the car, after a few attempts the car started, when I shifted it in drive and proceeded to try and get back on the road it shut off again. The engine, ABS, traction control & electrical light was on. I tried restarting it and it started and drove like nothing had happened, even the lights were no longer on. I took it to the shop and they ran diagnostics and tried to duplicate the problem, they couldn't help me and says that until it happens again they can't do anything. I called the dealership and they said the same thing, they said that they have never heard of this happening. They said they would keep my vehicle and try to figure out what is going on, if they don't find anything than they would keep it and try to duplicate the problem and I could be without my car until they figure it out. Since the first incident it has happened at lease 10 more times. I researched it online and there are multiple cases of this happening with Chrysler vehicles. There is now an investigation ongoing but until then many owners have to deal with this problem or go without their vehicle. Many have said that it happened after refueling their car, for me it has happened a couple of times after refueling, but multiple times while it was at 1/2 and 1/4 tank. A really bad accident to include serious injuries and or death to the driver can happen and what will happen then? before this occurs something needs to be done immediately and the company should pay for the repairs to correct his issue. A recall needs to be issued immediately!

- Waipahu, HI, USA

May 042013

Charger 6-cyl

While driving on the highway going 60mph in the center lane during busy traffic and it was dark, the vehicle just shut completely off. I also had a my 14 month baby in the car. There was lost of power, steering was lost. I had to shift it in neutral and glide to the shoulder lane almost being hit by a truck. I turned the key off and tried to restart the car, after a few attempts the car started, when I shifted it in drive and proceeded to try and get back on the road it shut off again. The engine & electrical light was on. I tried restarting it and it started and drove like nothing had happened. I took it to the shop and they ran diagnostics and tried to duplicate the problem, they couldn't help me and says that until it happens again they can't do anything. I called the dealership and they said the same thing, they said that they have never heard of this happening. They said they would keep my vehicle and try to figure out what is going on, if they don't find anything than they would keep it and try to duplicate the problem and I could be without my car until they figure it out. I researched it online and there are multiple cases of this happening with Chrysler vehicles. There is now an investigation ongoing but until then many owners have to deal with this problem or go without their vehicle. A really bad accident to include serious injuries and or death to the driver can happen and what will happen then? before this occurs something needs to be done immediately and the company should pay for the repairs to correct his issue. A recall needs to be issued immediately!

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Jun 062012

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and resumed as normal. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where they were unable to detect a trouble code. The failure occurred numerous times. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000...updated 08-07-13

- Wendover, UT, USA