2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 5 of 15)

Jan 182015

Charger 8-cyl

On 4 separate occasions now within the past few months, my car will shut off on its own after I have filled it with fuel. The first 2 times the car shut off while in the fueling station parking lot. The third time occurred while I was driving on a three lane road traveling at 50mph. The last incident occurred at a major intersection causing my vehicle to block traffic. Each time was immediately after filling the car with gas. I use only premium fuel in the car and the fuel was purchased at different businesses. After allowing the car to sit for a minute or so, the car will restart and runs as normal. I have called a local Dodge dealer and was told there are no recalls and that there is no way for them to diagnose what could cause this to happen. I have been told by other Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 owners that they too have had this issue; car shutting off after fueling. My concern is that by stalling in an intersection or at high speed, eventually a wreck will occur. I am also concerned by the Dodge dealer's service department telling me there is no way to diagnose this issue.

- Post, TX, USA

Jan 062015

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up my Dodge Charger rt with fuel and topping off, while driving back home the car stalled 3 times "just shut off" the car started right back up. Is this the vapor purge valve on top of the tank?

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jan 142015

Charger 8-cyl

This problem started about a year age. At first it was once ever 3 months now it happening more often. On 1/14/2014 after filling the gas tank the car stalled nearly being rear ended on the expressway. This problem getting worse and worse everytime. This problem is going to take someone's life in an accident.

- San Ygnacio, TX, USA

Jan 012015

Charger 6-cyl

I was driving my car on 1/1/2015 and it just cut off and wouldn't crank back, I was glad I was turning on my street, and the back right E- brakes came apart and tore up, when I also make a right or left turn the steering section makes a funny noise, and the engine light will not cut off. I am on disability and receive very low income of $721 and I am taking care of two children out of that and I am 59 years old, so can you all please help me get my car back on the road, please.

- Sumter, SC, USA

Jan 082015

Charger 8-cyl

My 2006 Dodge Charger has began to stall after a gas fill-up. It is very scary because it does not matter how fast you are driving. I had it stall about 5 times after filling up today. One in which I was going 40 mph. The steering wheel locks up and it is very dangerous. I am very concerned for the safety if myself and family.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Sep 202014

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the fuel tank was refueled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician informed that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Annaplois, IN, USA

Dec 222014

Charger 8-cyl

Engine stalls after refueling. Usually at idle but has stalled while moving rendering power steering inoperative. Common to PE 13-016 NHTSA.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Dec 102014

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls after filling gas tank, at speed or idling. No codes or other indications.

- Atascadero, CA, USA

Apr 152014

Charger

After refueling, the car stalls at speed. This pretty much now happens after every fill up. The car always restarts, but usually happens 2-4 times after initially refueling. The danger is, it sometimes happens at speed, the car quickly decelerates in traffic making it dangerous. Many times we have had to pull off the road in traffic to restart.

- Millbury , OH, USA

Jul 192006

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up with gas car will either stall right away or sometimes after a few miles when car stalls loose power steering and brakes making for a very dangerous situation.

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Nov 032014

Charger 8-cyl

After refilling the gas tank, the engine stalled several times with "bucking". the tank was not overfilled. After about 5 miles and several stalls, the condition went away and did not reoccur until I gassed up at a different station two weeks later. Again the tank was not overfilled. Internet search indicates that this is being investigated as PE13-016. Prior to this there has been no similar incidents. Others have had similar issues.

- Concord Twp, OH, USA

Aug 112014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling gas tank completely, car started stalling going down the road. Continued to stall at stop light and in parking lot and would not stay running unless hitting the gas pedal. Problem seemed to resolve itself after a few miles. Same exact issue has happened multiple times over the last few months, but only when filling the gas tank completely. When only putting partial amount into tank, this issue does not seem to be an issue. Have done research online and it seems to be a common problem with the 2006 Charger and 2 other Chrysler models. Spoke with Firestone in columbus ga and was advised there was a service bulletin regarding this issue and that my gas tank needed to be replaced. Contacted a Dodge dealership in columbus ga over 2 months ago and was advised fuel tank is on national back order.

- Fort Mitchell, AL, USA

Jun 032013

Charger 8-cyl

In June 2013 I started experiencing problems with the check engine light and the vehicle intermittently shutting off. Took vehicle to several different Dodge mechanic and was advised they could not duplicate the problem and just not fill the gas tank to full when adding full. This went on several months and after spending thousands of dollars for "problems" not associated with this issue I took to a neighborhood mechanic who after having the vehicle for several months determined it needed a new throttle switch (didn't solve the problem) and finally rebuilding the computer. This helped the problem a little as the stalling out only happened infrequently. However, recently the problem is reoccurring more frequently.

- Bellaiare, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Charger 8-cyl

When I fill up with fuel I can make it out of the parking lot and to the intersection an the car will die. And then it won't start for a while and it spits and sputters.

- Wilder, ID, USA

Oct 152014

Charger

The other night I was driving my car, and everything was fine. I parked to get gas, tried to start it back up and completely died out. I had to be towed back home, while working on the car to figure what was going on, I found metal all inside of my oil. What had happened is the motor dropped a valve and got crushed causing catastrophic failure, and now I must buy a whole new engine. While researching this for 30 minutes I have found many other stories and pictures of the same issue with other people. Why no one has acknowledged this issue, I have no idea. But it has affected many people and left many people stranded. I am extremely upset with this seeing that I just bought this car and I already have to drop a new motor in. NHTSA needs to acknowledge this issue because it is affecting thousands of models.

- Sacramento , CA, USA

Aug 302014

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle seems to buckle and jerk, most notably after refueling. First noticed this while on the interstate traveling at 70 mph. Vehicle eventually shuts off when you near a stop and sometimes takes multiple times to restart. The oil light comes on when it shuts off but the oil level is fine.

- Fayetteville, PA, USA

Apr 072014

Charger 8-cyl

Since 4-7-14 thru 7-16-14 the dealership has replaced two fuel tanks ( according to extended lifetime coverage letter dated May 8,2014), O2 sensor, transmission module, spark plugs, ignition coils and disconnected the remote starter. The car continues to stall and shutoff.

- Medford, NY, USA

Sep 192014

Charger 8-cyl

Filled vehicle with 10% ethanol 87 octane gasoline at self-service station on September 19, 2014. Drove away and vehicle stalled at first intersection. I put the vehicle in neutral and started it with no further problems until I filled tank again after about 250 miles. (I was driving a 1500 mile trip from one state to another.) every time I refilled the tank, the vehicle would stall within a few hundred feet of filling station. This stalling has continued through yesterday, September 29, 2014, and I am concerned it will happen again when I refill the tank. If the vehicle stalls at the wrong time, someone could be seriously hurt or killed.

- Weslaco, TX, USA

Sep 252014

Charger 8-cyl

I have owned the car for only a week. It's a beautiful car with a 5.7 hemi. The first time I fueled the vehicle it stalled as I re entered traffic without warning. It stalled several times within a 4 block area but would restart each time. With a 16 year old son now driving I am concerned that he might not be able to react approximately. I'm going to call the dealership.

- Niles, MI, USA

Aug 212013

Charger 8-cyl

Car runs rough and dies. Car died while crossing a steet in heavy traffic. Never can tell when car will act up, and this is a police patrol car. This problem is widespread in this year model, and could lead to a crash, and even death.

- Austin, TX, USA