2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 5 of 14)

Jul 192006

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up with gas car will either stall right away or sometimes after a few miles when car stalls loose power steering and brakes making for a very dangerous situation.

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Nov 032014

Charger 8-cyl

After refilling the gas tank, the engine stalled several times with "bucking". the tank was not overfilled. After about 5 miles and several stalls, the condition went away and did not reoccur until I gassed up at a different station two weeks later. Again the tank was not overfilled. Internet search indicates that this is being investigated as PE13-016. Prior to this there has been no similar incidents. Others have had similar issues.

- Concord Twp, OH, USA

Aug 112014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling gas tank completely, car started stalling going down the road. Continued to stall at stop light and in parking lot and would not stay running unless hitting the gas pedal. Problem seemed to resolve itself after a few miles. Same exact issue has happened multiple times over the last few months, but only when filling the gas tank completely. When only putting partial amount into tank, this issue does not seem to be an issue. Have done research online and it seems to be a common problem with the 2006 Charger and 2 other Chrysler models. Spoke with Firestone in columbus ga and was advised there was a service bulletin regarding this issue and that my gas tank needed to be replaced. Contacted a Dodge dealership in columbus ga over 2 months ago and was advised fuel tank is on national back order.

- Fort Mitchell, AL, USA

Jun 032013

Charger 8-cyl

In June 2013 I started experiencing problems with the check engine light and the vehicle intermittently shutting off. Took vehicle to several different Dodge mechanic and was advised they could not duplicate the problem and just not fill the gas tank to full when adding full. This went on several months and after spending thousands of dollars for "problems" not associated with this issue I took to a neighborhood mechanic who after having the vehicle for several months determined it needed a new throttle switch (didn't solve the problem) and finally rebuilding the computer. This helped the problem a little as the stalling out only happened infrequently. However, recently the problem is reoccurring more frequently.

- Bellaiare, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Charger 8-cyl

When I fill up with fuel I can make it out of the parking lot and to the intersection an the car will die. And then it won't start for a while and it spits and sputters.

- Wilder, ID, USA

Oct 152014

Charger

The other night I was driving my car, and everything was fine. I parked to get gas, tried to start it back up and completely died out. I had to be towed back home, while working on the car to figure what was going on, I found metal all inside of my oil. What had happened is the motor dropped a valve and got crushed causing catastrophic failure, and now I must buy a whole new engine. While researching this for 30 minutes I have found many other stories and pictures of the same issue with other people. Why no one has acknowledged this issue, I have no idea. But it has affected many people and left many people stranded. I am extremely upset with this seeing that I just bought this car and I already have to drop a new motor in. NHTSA needs to acknowledge this issue because it is affecting thousands of models.

- Sacramento , CA, USA

Aug 302014

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle seems to buckle and jerk, most notably after refueling. First noticed this while on the interstate traveling at 70 mph. Vehicle eventually shuts off when you near a stop and sometimes takes multiple times to restart. The oil light comes on when it shuts off but the oil level is fine.

- Fayetteville, PA, USA

Apr 072014

Charger 8-cyl

Since 4-7-14 thru 7-16-14 the dealership has replaced two fuel tanks ( according to extended lifetime coverage letter dated May 8,2014), O2 sensor, transmission module, spark plugs, ignition coils and disconnected the remote starter. The car continues to stall and shutoff.

- Medford, NY, USA

Sep 192014

Charger 8-cyl

Filled vehicle with 10% ethanol 87 octane gasoline at self-service station on September 19, 2014. Drove away and vehicle stalled at first intersection. I put the vehicle in neutral and started it with no further problems until I filled tank again after about 250 miles. (I was driving a 1500 mile trip from one state to another.) every time I refilled the tank, the vehicle would stall within a few hundred feet of filling station. This stalling has continued through yesterday, September 29, 2014, and I am concerned it will happen again when I refill the tank. If the vehicle stalls at the wrong time, someone could be seriously hurt or killed.

- Weslaco, TX, USA

Sep 252014

Charger 8-cyl

I have owned the car for only a week. It's a beautiful car with a 5.7 hemi. The first time I fueled the vehicle it stalled as I re entered traffic without warning. It stalled several times within a 4 block area but would restart each time. With a 16 year old son now driving I am concerned that he might not be able to react approximately. I'm going to call the dealership.

- Niles, MI, USA

Aug 212013

Charger 8-cyl

Car runs rough and dies. Car died while crossing a steet in heavy traffic. Never can tell when car will act up, and this is a police patrol car. This problem is widespread in this year model, and could lead to a crash, and even death.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 052014

Charger 8-cyl

I stared my 2006 Dodge Charger up one day and it sounded like a lawnmower, so I sent it off to the dealer say it dropped a valve, I say how that happen they tell me its a defect with those engines he gets them in all the time. Im so upset behind this matter cause they want $3500 to fix my car, I keep my car fully serviced just had a major tune up & water pump replaced.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls out after filling up the tank. It also is dying and cranking back up at 40 mph and a couple of times on the freeway doing 80 mph. Also just sitting at a red light with a half of tank of gas and car just dies. Have to put it in park to restart it.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Aug 172014

Charger 8-cyl

I learned about the fuel tank warranty and will be getting that repaired, but my issue is at 75 to 100% throttle my car will stall out. But my car starts back up on its own like nothing ever happened. When it stalls it throws you forward like the car is braking and then when it fires back up you can hit the throttle and it will go as normal.

- Hagerstown, MD, USA

Jun 162014

Charger 8-cyl

When driving @40mph, engine lost power, dash signaled 'ding', and throttle body warning light illuminated. It restarted as the car coasted. Has repeated numerous times, including today, 3 times in less than 1 1/2 miles, at less than 20mph. No trouble codes scanned or displayed. Symptom went away for 1 1/2 months after changing out spark plugs, as a Dodge tech recommended. He also says the ignition coils deteriorate over time, and the internal shielding does not keep stray 'noise' from travelling into the engine controller, effectively resetting it, and showing no codes. Having 8 factory coils to replace at $55 each is quite a gamble that may not fix the issue. Aftermarket coils apparently do not fix this, either. I have tightened every electrical grounding point I can find on the car, unplugged/plugged numerous connectors to reseat them. This is a very dangerous safety issue, and it appears on '06 and some 07 Chargers. If this happens and a collision occurs because of this, I will seek full legal remedy from fca(Chrysler) as this is an obvious liability/safety issue.

- Santee, CA, USA

Jan 182014

Charger 8-cyl

After I stop and fill my gas tank, my car will stall and shut off while driving. I was almost rear ended leaven the gas station because the car just shut off on me. This will only after I fill my gas tank to full.

- Riverdale, MD, USA

Jul 142014

Charger 8-cyl

While driving, I heard a chime, and the engine oil symbol came on, the steering wheel locked and the vehicle stopped. (bearing in mind the vehicle was serviced just two weeks prior ). I have taken it to local Dodge service and they did not find the problem. This happened since five times. At the local service when it happened on the third time the infact kept it until the problem was duplicated. However, they argued since they were no longer certified Dodge dealer they were not able to fix the vehicle. Under there own management they took it to a certified Dodge dealer. The dealer had it said he did computer updates 5 days later the problem occurred again.

- Laurel , MD, USA

Jul 252012

Charger 8-cyl

Re:PE13-016 re: Dodge/Chrysler X53 - 19 fuel tank vehicle began shutting off about a mile down the road after refueling. Upon receiving "extended warranty" letter from Chrysler - May 8, 2014, called dealer to have part replaced. Part has been on "backorder" for last 2 months. I keep getting told "you are next in line to receive part" from the dealer and the Dodge customer service center toll free line. This is unacceptable when you are driving down the road and for no reason or fault of yours, the car begins to stall or cut off completely. My car has cut off while making a turn across two lanes of traffic - luckily no one was coming and I was able to coast across the lanes..."safely". my car has cut off going down the road at 40-50 miles an hour. This is a very dangerous situation. And truth be know, this needs to be a recall and handled promptly by Chrysler. I have several documented calls into Chrysler. No one can tell me when part will be ordered or sent to dealer or status of situation. Please help consumers get this problem escalated. Thank you.

- Madison, AL, USA

Aug 152014

Charger 8-cyl

I filled my gas tank getting ready to go on a trip and vehicle started stalling out without warning, engine would just shut down. I have been told that there is a known problem with the 2006 Dodge Chargers with the fuel tank.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Apr 092014

Charger

It is hard starting and will stall anywhere between 0 to 45 mph. When it starts rough it will not go forward or reverse without stalling. It seems to be worse after filling the gas tank. When the car stalls it does so with no warning and can leave you with no power steering or brakes. It did it off and on at first but now does almost every time I run it. I took it to a Dodge dealer and gave him a copy of the lifetime warranty gas tank problem and told him of the symptoms of the car. He ignored me and did 4 flashes on the car plus $110 of "cleanup" work on the car and told me it was fixed. On the way home it stalled in the middle of the highway while my wife was driving and she had no steering. The dealer paperwork said they pulled up 4 codes on the car's computer, which I got none of when I ran my code reader on it before taking it to them. One of the reported codes does not even show on the chart and another one was a "C" code for a chasse problem. Upon getting the car home, after stalling several times on the way home, I called the bank and stopped the payment for the work they say they did. I have another appointment with the dealer I bought the car from (farther away) but how do I get them to do the repair I want, not what they feel like doing? thanks.

- Venice, FL, USA