2.0

2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 10)

Mar 072016

Charger

Car stalls after getting gas. Has stalled while on the highway at 60mph, and has also stalled in the middle of an intersection almost causing an accident. Hard to control and no power steering when it stalls.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Feb 032015

Charger

Car stalls and engine shuts down, loss of steering while either sitting still or driving at higher speeds. This has happened on numerous occasions after adding fuel to the car.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jan 032016

Charger

When trying to fuel the car, the pump continually clicks off like the tank is full. Will also spit fuel back out while pumping (no matter how slow you try to pump). I don't see how this isn't a safety issue.

- Vilonia, AR, USA

Jan 072016

Charger

Car stalls when slowing down or stopped, but not all the time, it's very erratic. On occasion it cuts out for a second while driving along at 50 mph.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jan 072016

Charger

Vehicle turn off and stalls when driving 55mph. Turn off at intersections and vehicle is hard to control when vehicle turns off.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jan 022016

Charger

Engine stalls (shuts off) after refueling. Major safety concern while in an intersection. This happens after refueling (not topping off).

- Moody, AL, USA

Dec 302015

Charger

Our problem still has not been fixed. The car continues to "die in flight." I have uploaded a video to youtube. Https://youtu.be/ssawxdfdswa this occurred while attempting to merge onto the interstate. The rpms jump up and down. The oil light and the electronic throttle control light flash and ding. The check engine light came on. This is going to cause an accident and the dealership says there is nothing wrong with the car.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Dec 222015

Charger

After filling up with gas, the car stalls/dies 2-4 times. Restarts right up but this is a safety issue because it has died in heavy traffic, turning onto other streets in traffic and pulling out of parking lots into traffic. Severe safety issue!

- Vilonia, AR, USA

Dec 042015

Charger

I was in the middle of an intersection, turning left, and my vehicle just turns off. Very unsafe for a car to turn off in the middle of driving. Luckily this didn't cause an accident. 2 other instances, I was turning out onto a busy street, pulling out of the gas station after filling up. It makes me nervous to put gas in the car and wondering when the car will die out. The shutting down of the vehicle happens after everytime I put gas into it. Its not an issue of overfilling the tank because I, ve been filling up a vehicle gas tank for over 20 years and have never had an issue. Even if I don't fill it up completely, this occurs. I have heard from many other people having the same issue with the same year Chargers. Others who have had this same issue have said its the vapor purge valve on top of the gas tank.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Nov 152015

Charger

After fiilling the gas tank of the 2006 Dodge Charger R/T the Charger has stalled numerous times after leaving the gas station. The Charger would restart. This is a vehicle safety issue. The 2006 Dodge Charger R/T has also stalled out on highway on ramps a couple of times. The Charger would restart but the cars behind were not very happy. This is also traffic safety problem.

- Groton, MA, USA

Jun 162014

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the contact mentioned that the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Stony Brook, NY, USA

Nov 222015

Charger

Vehicle stalls for no reason while in motion on the highway. This appears to happen every time after topping vehicle up with fuel.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Aug 012015

Charger

After fueling the car, it stalls out when I leave the gas station. It has stalled while stopped at a light, during a turn through an intersection and while driving down the highway at speed. After stalling, it starts back up and either stalls again or starts to do a hard stutter/bucking.

- Zimmerman, MN, USA

Oct 072015

Charger

I have complained on this vehicle multiple times now. It continues to have a randomly stalling engine while driving. The dealership claims it is not the gas tank. It has finally started causing the check engine light to come on (yay! it might actually get fixed). Just kidding! the dealership states that the codes that show up are general PCM codes that mean nothing. From online research, it appears it may be an electrical issue with the PCM, ECM, or numerous other parts. Either way, most of us go without cars for weeks while mechanics cannot find the actual cause thus cannot fix a dangerous vehicle. Most of us don't want to drive vehicles that stall while going 40 mph.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Oct 292015

Charger

After filling my gas tank my car stalled on the freeway. The next time I filled my tank my car stalled twice while driving on side streets. I have been told it is the vapor purge valve. I can only fill my tank partially or I stall. This is very dangerous.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Sep 202015

Charger

At 105000 miles I noticed this for the first time in September 2015 after filling it the car repeatedly stalled while in traffic, at a stop light and while going around a turn at slow speeds. Once the tank was around 3/4 full I noticed it stopping. It restarted, but caused me to stop in traffic and wait a second to put in N or P to restart and then back into gear. This is a real safety hazard and surprised it hasn't elevated to a recall. I thought it was bad fuel - the first time this happened, 2 fill ups later it still occurred leaving no check engine light for me to trouble shoot. That lead me to the internet and I found investigation PE 13-016 which sounds exactly what my issue is. I called the dealer to set up an appointment to get the recalled airbag fixed. I asked them to remedy this concurrently but they acted real stupid on the phone - I wanted to make sure the parts were on hand to fix it at this time. I hope they honor the extended warranty as I am the only owner and don't remember getting the letter sent to me on this matter. I am curious from this repair what they will not cover and if they will overcharge for other items that "they find". I am not exactly sure what they are covering under this extended warranty?

- Newtown, CT, USA

Oct 012015

Charger

Car shuts off after filling tank. Happens everytime I fill up. Mechanic says it has to do with the check valve.

- Lakewood, CA, USA

Oct 032015

Charger

When vehicle is filled to a full tank of gasoline, the car then stalls during short distances. The stalling occurs randomly and in the middle of traffic, this poses a serious safety risk to myself and any occupants in my car along with other drivers around me. I have read multiple reports of this being a common problem with 2006 Dodge Charger R/T's. I am not overfilling the vehicle, but I need this problem reserved as soon as possible before I am involved in an accident that is not my fault and due to my car stalling from a full tank of gas.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Sep 122015

Charger

After fueling, leaving station, turn corner car stalls. Starts back up drive a little bit stalls again, trying to put into gear wouldn't shift, finally got it home. Had the same problem about 2yr ago, took it in he cleaned something in the engine, bill was $400 something, now happening again

- Placerville, CA, USA

Apr 172015

Charger

Car stalled 100 feet from service station after fill up with premium gas. Since then the car is run with 1/4 to 3/4 tank of gas and never filled completely up. Car shuts off during acceleration from stop light numerous times. Car shuts off at various speeds and starts back running with a surge in acceleration. This happens with and without cruise control on. Going up or down hills and on level pavement. Amount of gas in tank does not make a difference. Changed to different key no keyring without change in symptoms. Mobile 1 synthetic oil changed regularly. Car is driven by older driver within speed limit. Purchased car new with no miles on it. This is a safety issue that will get someone killed. Last drive was 20 miles. Car shut down and restarted itself 5 times going down the road at 40 mph. I want to repair the car but Chrysler/Dodge will not issue a fix for this problem. First Dodge I have ever owned.

- Gallatin, TN, USA