2.0

2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Jan 132017

Charger

My car completely shut off on me as I was driving it. This happened to me on 01/13/17 as I was leaving the gas station (after refueling). I was merging onto the freeway at the time, which turned out to be a blessing as I was able to merge into a safe location on the highway. After reading about similar cases online, I found this to be a reoccurring issue in the 06 Chargers / Chrysler models. This is definitely a major safety concern. Why has there not been a recall yet ??

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Jan 102017

Charger

My 2006 Dodge Charger completely died on me while driving at 40 mph. Luckily I was alone on a city road but lost all control and felt I was barley braking and steering was near impossible. I was able turn everything off in the car and restart but it happened 3 other times within 2 miles. At one point while turning left on a highway it died; I was almost to a point to hitting other cars turning left in same direction and others behind me. I was able to drive 4 miles today without incident however after researching this exact issue among other Charger owners I searched for a recall and nothing has been said by Dodge. This issue doesn┐T seem to be from personal actions but a flaw in a system on this make/model. It has happened to me twice before a few years ago however I read something about a gas cap and felt it was isolated. After last night and reading blogs today I see that this is a wide spread issue and not caused by not maintaining a vehicle or bad driving. This is an issue in design or manufacturing. Had this happened in any other driving setting during rush hour someone could be seriously injured or killed. I notified Dodge and reported the issue by they said I would not be contacted and to keep receipts if something was wrong in case they do recall something. Why hasn┐T this been corrected after all these reports for the same issue to this many of the same vehicles?

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Dec 232016

Charger

2006 Dodge Charger has a known issue involving vehicle stalling if the gas tank is filled. Dodge negotiated a lifetime warranty for repair of this defect in lieu of a recall. I was not notified of this warranty. My fuel pump has failed due to chronically running hot due to inability to fill the gas tank. The fuel pump design depends on the cooler temperature of the gasoline in the tank to keep it cooled. In other words, not being able to keep adequate gas tank levels has directly led to fuel pump overheating and failure. Dodge will not cover the cost of fuel pump repair but will replace the fuel tank that caused the damage. The vehicle was in motion leaving the parking lot

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Nov 012016

Charger

My 2006 Dodge Charger keep stalling while driving. I was sitting at a light getting to ready to turn and the car stopped in the middle of the turn. Thankful it was a turn signal or I would have been hit. Also the engine light come on and the car just stalls then - you can wait about 5 min. And it will start back up. Upon doing my research I am unsure to why their has not been a recall. I was on the highway and it starts to stall then I hit the gas and it keeps going.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Dec 272016

Charger

After filling up at a gas station, the car will stall out randomly at all speeds of travel. This is a huge safety issue that has sht down the car while merging onto freeway in front of semi-trucks only to have power steering and propulsion stop. Luckily truck was paying attention and honked and swerved around, while I rode off onto the shoulder. Then it restarted, ran for another minute and stalled again while trying to get back off the shoulder. I ended up letting it idle for 5 min before being able to merge successfully and get home. Online I have seen many people saying they have same or similar issues with their 2006 Dodge vehicles as well. Please help to get this resolved as this could have very well killed someone.

- Redding, CA, USA

Oct 032016

Charger

My 2006 Dodge Charger rt stalls intermittently while I'm turning a corner on a city street or stopped at a red light. When it stalls, I do not have power steering. This is extremely dangerous because I could get hit. Sometimes it stalls more often after I fill up with gas. I do not overfill. I have been filing my gas tank the same way for 10 years and until October of 2016 it has never been a problem.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Jan 032014

Charger

While sitting at the traffic light it cuts off. While driving, the vehicle cuts off. This has been going on since 2014. I have taken it to darcars hillcrest hgts and new carrollton but nothing has been done and they have yet to tell me what the problem

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 022016

Charger

Charger is stalling frequently. After filling up with gas. Stalled and went into some safe mode where it wouldn't go into second gear. Stalled on the highway, side roads and while making a turn. While making the turn it stalled in the middle of the intersection while a truck was coming at us. I had my son in the car and we were stranded in the road. We could have been killed!! I have read up on this and it seams to be a faulty sensor at the gas tank fill up. Why has this not been addressed? sounds like you are waiting for someone to get killed before doing anything. Great company!!!

- Frederick, MD, USA

Nov 152016

Charger

After filling up gas tank, vehicle will rapidly lose rpms and stall when stopped at lights or stop signs. I then put the vehicle in park and am able to restart it, but it will stall again while moving right after. This causes a loss of power steering which has almost caused me to crash multiple times. I only bought the car 12 days ago and it has done this multiple times. I have read the multiple other complaints, and have tried to fix the problem by replacing the PCM, but that did not work. Others have suggested replacing the gas tank because the stall could be caused by the vapor recovery system failing following refueling. I believe this issue is related to NHTSA action PE13016. The vehicle in its current condition is unsafe to drive as it will stall while moving and lose power steering. The problem first occurred on 11/7/16, and occurred again on 11/15/16, both times after I refueled. It will not occur if the gas is below 3/4 full. I replaced the PCM on 11/10/16, but that did not fix the problem.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Mar 202016

Charger

After filling the gas tank up car stalls within minutes on busy hiway interstate and it fluids out where you are stuck in traffic ive had plenty of mechanics to look at the far and they cant detect the problem I need some assistance with this issue are I'm gonna end up causing a bad wreck with the issue of my car please contact me 2516441589

- Theodore, AL, USA

Aug 152016

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the fuel tank could only be partially filled due to a leak. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Fulton, CA, USA

Jun 152016

Charger

Car randomly stalls, sometimes while stationary and sometimes while driving. Very dangerous.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Jun 132016

Charger

Fuel system issue pertaining to lack of fuel to engine. There have been multiple occasions where the vehicle had hard starting and stalling, now the vehicle won't start. After investigating common issues (I.e., air, fuel, spark) it was determined that fuel was not traveling to the fuel rail at the engine. The fuel pump was replaced and the issue persisted. Currently the vehicle in non-operational due to the lack of fuel. I fell this issue is very similar to the NHTSA PE13016 investigation where the determination was to replace the fuel tank as the integrated multifunction control valve (mfcv) was found to be defective. The manufacturer offered a lifetime warranty for the issue, however it was stated that the vehicles included in the extended warranty were equipped with the 5.7L and 6.1L 8-cylider engines. We find this inaccurate as our vehicle is equipped with the 3.5L 6-cylinder and is suspect to have the identical issues as stated in the all of the investigative documents for PE13016.

- Herriman, UT, USA

Jun 202016

Charger

After filling my vehicle my car will stall and random intervals. Simply drive away from the gas station and the vehicle would stall so I'd start it and then continue to drive. This largely happened while I'm stationary so I wasn't very concerned until I had it stall while I was turning on to a street and almost got side swiped by an on coming car. This is extremely dangerous and should be dealt with by the company as they have acknowledged it as an issue and I have seen multiple people file complaints about this issue and nothing is being done. This in my opinion is more dangerous than the sir bag issue my vehicle has already had a recall for. Chrysler and Dodge has acknowledge the issue and stated it's a valve I can't recall the name of the specific part and having to replace the gas tank.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jun 092016

Charger

After filling up gas tank drove off from gas station car stalled started car right back up drove some more and it stalled again started car right back up drove and once again car stalled this time I was in the middle of traffic very scary it almost caused me to get hit by other drivers, went online to see if anyone else has had this problem and found many other owners with the same issue with the exact same scenario, car is well maintained and runs great other then this issue

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Dec 012015

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact found a recall related to the fuel tank. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the fuel tank was replaced; however, the vehicle began to slow down to approximately 35 mph when reaching high speeds. Additionally, the rpms would continue to increase without the acceleration matching the RPM increase. The contact informed the manufacturer who opened a case on the contact's behalf and informed the contact that there was no recall relating to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Stonybrook, NY, USA

May 152016

Charger

Pulled in to gas station because my gas light came on with my wife and 3 of my children, one being only 1 year old, and a trunk full of fresh meats and fish from the market on a hot ga day 45 miles from home, put in $30 worth of gas which almost filled it up, went to start my car and it started jerking, clicking and shaking real bad before it just died. As scary as it was that this was happening I tried to start again and got the same result. With this kind of load and a baby on a hot day, broke and no other way home, I tried a few more times until it stopped turning over and just made a click sound, 1 click. A tire shop guy across the street seen I needed help, due to the baby now hungry and crying, came over to see if he could help. After trying to start again he said may be my battery, alternator or starter so he went to the parts store and got an H7 loaner battery. Once installed tried starting and again it started jerking, clicking and shaking real bad before dying. Another guy walked over to help, again due to the baby crying, and said that sounds like your fuel pump and said "I heard of people having problems with this when filling up with gas and they(dealership) have to replace your gas tank for free". I had to pay well over $100 for a tow truck and had to pay a complete stranger to follow me home with my family because there was no room in the tow truck for them. I've never had issues like this with my car but now as I'm researching for diy resolutions I'm finding that there are others who have had similar issues. This needs to be fixed immediately. I'm now out of money. I have 5 children and am the only one in my house working and this is my only means of transportation that I am still paying a note on. By the way, tried to start my car again and its still doing the same effing thing. Chrysler needs to do something fast!!!

- Austell, GA, USA

May 142016

Charger

I went and filled my gas tank and drove away from store about 200 feet and car completely shut off while driving had to pay 100 dollars to get towed only 2miles away from local repair shop

- Midlothian, VA, USA

May 062016

Charger

Filled tank up with gas day before this happened. Driving down road at 25 mph the car stalled. It would restart and stall again.

- Blytheville, AR, USA

May 052016

Charger

After refilling my tank with gas, my car suddenly began to stall. Immediately after refilling, I started my car and within a few seconds it shut off. After many attempts of starting it and remaining stationary, my car finally remained on for more than 5 minutes and I assumed it was safe to begin driving. 5 minutes into driving on a city street the car began to jerk and stalled in the middle of the street, fortunately it didn't cause an accident. I was able to restart it and turn into the nearest shopping center where I contacted chrystler, who claimed they had no knowledge of this issue. I've seen a multitude of complaints with similar, if not the same, issues I continue to experience.

- Long Beach, CA, USA