2.0

hardy worth mentioning

2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Feb 132012

Charger

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T and every time I fill up the car stalls while driving, sometimes at slow speeds or once you make a complete stop. It has happened since 2012. I take care of this vehicle. I thought it was the gas which I changed the gas octane and still the same results. I thought the issue would pass but it hasn't. I have stalled in traffic by the grace of god I wasn't hit. Took the car to a Dodge dealership a few times they still can't seem to find a reason as to why it stalls. I talked with a guy one day and he said that his wife car has done it and not to fill up or replace the entire fuel system. Why would I not fill up if I'm traveling especially out of town and why replace the same fuel system that's going to eventually give the same results. Sooner or later something bad is going to happen and something needs to be done about it. Really, who knows if it's going to stall even if you don't fill up and stall at the wrong time and someone gets in an accident getting seriously injured or possibly death due to something as filling up a vehicle. Rediculous your life could be in danger due to putting fuel in your vehicle and no matter how many times there's a complaint about it looks like nothing will get done until someone actually lose their life. More than likely that's how it works nothing is ever done until something bad happens. The car stalled today 4/26/2014.

- Sandersville, GA, USA

Nov 022012

Charger

After filling the gas tank, the car would stumble, miss and start jerking. Was making a 90 degree right hand turn and the car shut off. In the middle of the turn, I had no power steering nor brakes. Fortunately, there were no oncoming cars as I ended up on the wrong side of the street. Car restarted and ran a few feet before the stumbling, jerking and missing started to occur once again. After reading up on this problem, I had the gas tank replaced, as it (the tank) had all of the signs of a bad "roll-over" valve. This valve is molded into the gas tank and is non-replaceable. Once the tank was replaced, the problem has gone away and have not had an issue since.

- Parma, OH, USA

Mar 032014

Charger

After filling the gas tank up, I left the gas station and the car stalled out 7 times. This continues to happen every time I fill the tank up. The steering also goes out. The car has a hard time starting back up once it happens. It happened on the highway also.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 092012

Charger

TL-the contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled continuously after the vehicle was filled with gas. The failure recurred intermittently over a period of two years. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who has not diagnosed the problem. There was a investigation under NHTSA action id number PE13016(fuel system, gasoline ). the VIN was not included and the vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

Nov 172012

Charger

Upon filling the gas tank with gas, I pulled away from the gas station into traffic and the car shut off (stalled) after about a block of travel. After about 5 attempts and waiting about 10 minutes or the car started and remained started. The same issue happens every time I fill the gas tank (proper filling, not topping off). I cannot fuel up without fear of the vehicle stalling soon after.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 182014

Charger

My vehicle stalled several times after filling the tank. I then took it to my dealer to have it investigated. In reviewing the NHTSA website, I found that this has been already been investigated and Chrysler agreed to extend the warranty on "certain" hemi vehicles with a 19 gallon fuel tank. Investigation PE 13-016. Upon sharing this information with my dealer (Dodge of naperville), they indicated that my 2006 Dodge Charger with a hemi and 19 gallon tank was not covered under this recall and I would need to pay $1700 to have this repaired. They said if it was recalled at a later date, I could apply for reimbursement.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Mar 242014

Charger

While driving on the interstate after work my vehicle stalled out and I lost control. I had to strong arm the steering wheel to get the vehicle to veer onto the emergency shoulder lane. Vehicles behind me slammed on their brakes and honked their horns trying to avoid hitting my vehicle. Prior to the event I filled my gas tank. After giving the vehicle a few minutes I tried to turn the ignition. After several tries the vehicle started. I was unable to accelerate over 35 mph and the vehicle shook and stalled the entire ride home. That was 3 weeks ago and the issue has worsened. My vehicle is stalling in mid-sections. It's shaking and along with the fuel light the engine light continuously dings. My code reads engine misfiring and fuel valve failures. The dealership was unable to pinpoint the issue and told me to research the issue under NHTSA.org. I have almost caused several accidents and I do have a small child I must Transport in this vehicle as well. It should not take a fatality for this issue to be resolved by the parties responsible.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 062014

Charger

Every time I fill up the gas tank the car it stalls and shuts off. This causes lost of steering and may start immediately after or take a few tries. I've had my son with me in the car when this happens and I am afraid that we might be rear ended or it may shut off and have no steering at a crucial turn or in a busy intersection. I saw that this website closed the investigation because Dodge (allegedly) was sending owners letters to fix the problem with an extended warranty starting in Jan. 2014. It is April 2014 and the problem is not listed in the Dodge website. Dealerships are not aware either. I just talked to Dodge and my car does not fall under this extended warranty. They basically told me they were not responsible if anything happens because of the problem. I hope they are not waiting on a fatality to actually do something about it. Dodge needs to be proactive and not reactive. I see complaint after complaint here about the same problem. Something needs to be done.

- Mystic, CT, USA

Jan 182014

Charger

I have a 2006 Dodge daytona R/T Charger. In January of this year, with ~185K thousand miles on the car, it began stalling after fueling. The car will suddenly die and causes loss of power steering and brakes, and is often difficult to restart. This is causing extremely dangerous conditions, as it occurs when pulling out into traffic and/or moving through intersections. Because the car suddenly stalls, you are left in the middle of the street and at times, fast-moving traffic and unable to start the car to move it out of the way.

- Marengo, IL, USA

Feb 242014

Charger

Filled up gas tank, and after leaving the gas station and turning on to exit ramp the car stalled out, and I lost control of the steering. After a few attempts to restart the car started, but stalled multiple times until the fuel level dropped to about 3/4 full. I experienced this same problem a few days later after filling up again. I did some research online and found numerous Charger owners experiencing the same issue. I stooped filling up and only fill to about 3/4 full and I haven't experienced the issue again. Today I came across a report on the warranty extension concerning this issue (PE13-016). I called Chrysler and was told my vehicle was not included in the warranty extension. I am highly upset and annoyed by this total lack of regard for human life!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 122012

Charger

First time it staled was when I filled tank up and got imediatly to highway car stalled as I tryed to merg to highway speed.almost got run over by a tractor trailer behind me.it took a while till I discovered that a fil up will cause Charger to stall happened many more times after I found that it was gas fil up causing the stalling that is the only problem with Charger.I can only get small amounts of gas at a time.help me... please.

- Staten Isl, NY, USA

Apr 142014

Charger

Every time I fill up the car dies for about 5-10 miles every time I come to a stop. It looks like the roll over valve is faulty in the tank. I have heard rumors that this is an extended warranty period item. Is that correct?

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Jan 142013

Charger

The first time the issue happened was right after we filled up gas, we drove onto the I-5 and proceeded up the grapevine in California, very steep grade. As we started going up the car bogged and died, which slowed our speed dramatically as well as gave me very hard steering at 65 mph. We almost got rear-ended by a larger vehicle behind us, do to our rapid de-acceleration going up hill with no brake lights. The reason for no brake lights is because I was not slowing down on my own. Than the car took about 15 cranks to start on the side of the road. Than I proceeded to merge into traffic which was a safe merge, until the car bogged a second time in the slow lane which this time I had a semi truck behind us. Another close call getting to the shoulder. We waited 5 minutes started car again and proceeded on our way with no problems. Since this first incident in Jan 2013, our car has done this about a dozen other times. There were times driving around corners when the car bogged and died which made it very difficult to steer without power steering. After many incidents were figured out this only happens directly after fill up. If the tank is filled more than 7/8 of the way the car will stall while driving. Very unsafe for my family and this problem is a huge issue with these cars, exp. Charger, magnum, 300.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Charger

PE13-016 Chrysler is not meeting its obligations.

Jan 012013

Charger

Car stalls numerous times after fueling. Dodge says my VIN does not show any recalls. Refer to (PE13-016)

Dec 162013

Charger

The problem started back in December of 2013 at 77,000 miles. When I fill up at the gas station (I never top of) the car stalls and shuts off. It happens every time I fill up. I pull out of the gas station and it shuts off in the middle of the road. Dealer can't find the problem. It's very frustrating. My main concern is safety and the repeated service visits and cost. The last time was scary because it shut off at a red light. When I started up the car again it shut off in the middle of traffic. I managed to get home but the car shut off several times during the drive.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

Feb 052014

Charger

Vehicle stalled after refueling, in traffic.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Dec 112013

Charger

Vehicle stalled in the middle of a busy street while driving during rush hour traffic. Luckily no one hit me (especially since I had my daughter in the car). I had just filled up the gas tank (did not overfill--gas is way too expensive for that). Had it towed and the dealer had to replace the fuel tank, O-ring unit, vapor canister, solenoid-proportional purge and some misc. Pins etc. Cost me $1900 out of my pocket with the dealer giving me a 10% service discount. They also informed me that with the vapor canister failing, if you were in a rollover accident the car most likely would catch fire which would definitely decrease your chances of surviving. This is a huge safety concern for anyone that is driving or riding in the vehicle even if it only shuts off. You can not brake or steer when the car shuts off so getting out of harms way is a challenge without getting hit by another vehicle. I see that there are a huge number of complaints regarding this issue and it needs to be put out as a service recall. Not an alert or bulletin but an actual recall. I guess when people start losing their lives and the lives of their loved ones that are passengers then maybe Dodge will do the right thing. I see that there is some info out there that Dodge was extending the warranty on the fuel tank/system and letters were to be sent to the car owners. I have not received anything I honestly believe that I should be reimbursed. Dodge used to have "safety first" on their website. Odd, I don't see that anymore.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Feb 072014

Charger

PE13-016, this issue applies to my Charger R/T and anytime I fill up my gas tank the car will stall at any speed. I've had this happen at any speed from the low speeds mentioned to as high as 45 when I was accelerating and I had sloshed the gas tank. Anyway, I have talked with multiple Dodge dealerships and they have all told me that they have no idea what I'm talking about and that they have nothing in their system that would show them my car was affected. I feel that this is crazy and needs to be corrected. I have a car that will kill itself after any fillup and I can't get the manufacturer to own up to what they promised.

- Franklin, IN, USA

Apr 102014

Charger

I feel that Chrysler is not honoring the agreement of extending the warranty on the fuel tanks as stated. Its been months and Chrysler either isn't going to warranty the tanks or they are being very selective on which tanks they consider defective. My VIN is not showing being covered by this warranty even though it meets all the qualifications. This is the message I received from the local Dodge/Chrysler dealership regarding my fuel tank issue on April 10, 2014: In checking on Chrysler┐'s website, there is no listed extended coverage regarding your fuel tank pertaining to your particular vehicle at this time. Recall┐'s are VIN specific and after checking yours on Chrysler website it does not show any extended lifetime coverage regarding your vehicle in particular. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding this matter please feel free to contact Chrysler/Dodge at 1-800-423-6343. My original complaint regarding the issue with my 2006 Dodge Charger was filed: Date complaint filed: 01/07/2014 component(s): Fuel/propulsion system date of incident: 11/28/2013 NHTSA id number: 10558790

- Papillion, NE, USA