2.0

2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Dec 182013

Charger

Typical problem related by many after refueling the engine dies and thus, for over a year now, I never fill to more than 16 gallons. But, if one turns left with fuel level around 16 gallons, the engine quickly dies leaving the vehicle vulnerable in the middle of a busy intersection without steering or brakes. Left hand turns now have to be made at a very slow speed after refueling which can also create a dangerous situation. This is clearly a recall issue and Chrysler needs to own up to this sorry issue with a prestigious automobile.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Dec 112014

Charger

After filling up at gas station, car stalls in traffic when fuel is sucked into vapor recovery system. Dealer says fuel tank replacement is not covered by any recalls.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Sep 152014

Charger

PE13-016. Car stalls repeatedly after refueling.

- Millbury, OH, USA

Nov 202014

Charger

Full tank fill for trip to Florida from North Carolina. Car stalled within in few blocks from gas station. Restart and stall several times. Let idle for awhile and noticed RPM's going up and down at idle. Finally got going and fueled with a full tank 2 times on way to Florida, same problem each time. Contacted dealership in deland Florida and was told I had a faulty fuel float and would have to replace fuel tank or I could wait until I got back to North Carolina. They said if I only filled to 3/4 it should be fine. I did that and got back to North Carolina. Took car to dealership in greensboro, North Carolina. They were familiar with this problem. They did a diagnostic test by filling fuel tank and encountered the same problem. They contacted Chrysler for warranty. Chrysler denied it. I contacted Chrysler and got a case number. I talked to several people and was told they would call me back. None of them called back, so I had to make calls. They denied for reasons: VIN not covered, car built in wrong month, car has salvage title, not covered under X53 or Chrysler service bulletin #14-002-14 issued in February 2014.. I asked for a letter of denial. They refused. Said I could contact an attorney if I wanted a letter. The cost for this known problem will be $1,250. I have had Dodge and Chrysler vehicles sine 1969. Not a way to treat a good customer.

- Summerfield, NC, USA

Sep 302014

Charger

After filling up my gas tank and driving off the gas station lot onto a main road my car stalled and died almost causing the car behind me to run into the back of my car. My car continued to stall all the way home. It restarted after stalling but put me in a very dangerous position. I could not drive the car anywhere in fear that it would stall again. I had to pay to have it towed (money which I do not have) to a service station where they told me that there was a known issue of a fuel system problem. I called the car dealer and they did in fact acknowledge that there is a problem and the fuel tank will be replaced at no charge. I have now been waiting several months for a gas tank. The dealership has stated that they are not receiving any fuel tanks. I need my vehicle to get back and forth to school. I can not get a job because I have no transportation to and from. This is really put a hardship on me. I called another dealership only to find that they are having the same problem. Why are there no tanks being sent to the dealerships to fix this problem? I can not drive a car that puts my life in danger as well as the lives of others.

- Hazelwood, MO, USA

Dec 052014

Charger

Car locked in park in the driveway. While driving in the rain all the dash lights flickered for 2-3 seconds then all lights and gauges shut down this included the headlights as well. While driving 55 miles per hour the car shut itself off I was in heavy traffic at the time. Car is now at the dealership again they cannot find the problem. I still have the same problems with dash lights flickering and the car stopping. Don't know if anyone else is having this problem but the car will also surge forward at a high rate of speed like I have stepped on the gas but my foot would be on the brake. This has happened several times and it scarers me to death. These are safety issues that need to be corrected by the manufacture. Dealerships are aware of these issues and have done nothing to correct the problems. This will be the last Dodge I purchase even though I like to buy american made. An investigation should be done with so many complaints. I will be calling detroit with these issues.

- Concord, NC, USA

Apr 152014

Charger

After refueling, the car stalls at speed. This pretty much now happens after every fill up. The car always restarts, but usually happens 2-4 times after initially refueling. The danger is, it sometimes happens at speed, the car quickly decelerates in traffic making it dangerous. Many times we have had to pull off the road in traffic to restart.

- Millbury , OH, USA

Oct 012014

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 40 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was restarted, but the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Jul 192006

Charger

After filling up with gas car will either stall right away or sometimes after a few miles when car stalls loose power steering and brakes making for a very dangerous situation

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Nov 032014

Charger

After refilling the gas tank, the engine stalled several times with "bucking". the tank was not overfilled. After about 5 miles and several stalls, the condition went away and did not reoccur until I gassed up at a different station two weeks later. Again the tank was not overfilled. Internet search indicates that this is being investigated as PE13-016. Prior to this there has been no similar incidents. Others have had similar issues.

- Concord Twp, OH, USA

Aug 112014

Charger

After filling gas tank completely, car started stalling going down the road. Continued to stall at stop light and in parking lot and would not stay running unless hitting the gas pedal. Problem seemed to resolve itself after a few miles. Same exact issue has happened multiple times over the last few months, but only when filling the gas tank completely. When only putting partial amount into tank, this issue does not seem to be an issue. Have done research online and it seems to be a common problem with the 2006 Charger and 2 other Chrysler models. Spoke with Firestone in columbus ga and was advised there was a service bulletin regarding this issue and that my gas tank needed to be replaced. Contacted a Dodge dealership in columbus ga over 2 months ago and was advised fuel tank is on national back order.

- Fort Mitchell, AL, USA

Oct 012014

Charger

When I fill up with fuel I can make it out of the parking lot and to the intersection an the car will die. And then it won't start for a while and it spits and sputters

- Wilder, ID, USA

Oct 132014

Charger

I drive a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with the 5.7L hemi. It has the 19 gallon fuel tank in it. The tank is defective as it causes the car to stall soon after a fill up and usually it'll just stall anytime it chooses even in the middle of the road. This is a known issue and the NHTSA and Chrysler settled this earlier this year. Well, I called Chrysler Corp. About this and they transferred the warranty into my name and asked me to have it towed to the dealership. After all that was done, I get a call from Dodge customer care and they tell me that there is no warranty on the car since it was originally registered and made for Canada. This is a very stupid excuse to avoid repairing a problem they caused. They are refusing to repair their defect as per the terms they agreed to with the NHTSA. This vehicle is unsafe to drive as it stalls out at any time.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Oct 152014

Charger

I just filled my car up with gas and drove it. I came to a stop at the light and when I began to accelerate my car stalled in the middle of the intersection. It finally picked up speed, but as I approached the second light it completely cut off. I was able to start it but I had to go over 50+ or more miles per hour to keep it from stalling. Once I drove into my driveway it completely cut off again. I ran the car for 30 minutes and it did not cut off, but when my husband left for work, as he approached the red light it cut off once again. This has got be fixed. It is to dangerous to stop in the middle of the intersection, or anytime while driving for that matter. I have a 2006 Dodge Charger rt hemi 5.7liter engine.up to date on all oil changes.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Sep 102014

Charger

Car shuts off while driving at any speed.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Oct 112014

Charger

Vehicle jerks while driving as if something is starting to die or go out, then starts running again. Only appears to happen after filling the fuel tank to completely full. Vehicle will stall out within several feet after fueling up, then restart and you're good to go. You drive maybe an eighth of a mile and as you slow to a stop, the car will stall out and die again. Usually fine for the rest of the evening. Vehicle eventually shuts off when I come to a near stop or am stopped. Oil lamp light turns on when the car dies. Tried restarting twice, but was unsuccessful. Took the key out of the ignition, then waited a few minutes. Tried to start the engine again and was successful. It seems extremely unsafe to drive like this, but it seems I have to drive long enough to burn off some gas to keep the gas tank under full at all times to avoid this problem.

- League City, TX, USA

Sep 202014

Charger

After fueling my 2006 Dodge Charger on the above stated date the car stalled after exiting the gas station. I restarted the car and proceeded through an intersection where it hesitated and stalled again. After restarting the second time there were no more issues with the car stalling that day. A day later there was an issue with being able to stop the car upon pressing on the brakes and coming to an intersection. Luckily the car was able to be clear the intersection and an accident was avoided at that time. A couple days later there was an issue with the car not being able to stop as needed again at an intersection. During the times where the car is unable to stop it seems as if the car decreases in acceleration and is uncontrollable at that time, after taking it to a local Dodge dealership I was informed that the fuel tank needs to be replaced, which is covered under Dodge extended warranty but it is unknown as to when the two needed parts would be in because the dealerships are on restriction with ordering the needed parts (2 parts are needed, one part can be order 1 every 7 days and the other 1 can be order 1 every 14 days). The only advice that I am being given is not to fill the gas tank all the way up, but these issues have occurred without the tank being completely full. I was given an estimated time frame of 4 to 6 months before the parts are available, which is totally unacceptable because I have to work daily.Dodge seems unwilling to accommodate consumers while this issue in being addressed, which is bad business. This is a huge safety issue and I do not feel safe driving my kids in a car that stalls at any given time.

- Zion , IL, USA

Apr 072014

Charger

Since 4-7-14 thru 7-16-14 the dealership has replaced two fuel tanks ( according to extended lifetime coverage letter dated May 8,2014), O2 sensor, transmission module, spark plugs, ignition coils and disconnected the remote starter. The car continues to stall and shutoff.

- Medford, NY, USA

Sep 192014

Charger

Filled vehicle with 10% ethanol 87 octane gasoline at self-service station on September 19, 2014. Drove away and vehicle stalled at first intersection. I put the vehicle in neutral and started it with no further problems until I filled tank again after about 250 miles. (I was driving a 1500 mile trip from one state to another.) every time I refilled the tank, the vehicle would stall within a few hundred feet of filling station. This stalling has continued through yesterday, September 29, 2014, and I am concerned it will happen again when I refill the tank. If the vehicle stalls at the wrong time, someone could be seriously hurt or killed.

- Weslaco, TX, USA

Sep 252014

Charger

I have owned the car for only a week. It's a beautiful car with a 5.7 hemi. The first time I fueled the vehicle it stalled as I re entered traffic without warning. It stalled several times within a 4 block area but would restart each time. With a 16 year old son now driving I am concerned that he might not be able to react appropriatly. I'm going to call the dealership.

- Niles, MI, USA