2.2

hardy worth mentioning

2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 072013

Charger

About 3 months ago at around 65,000 miles, my 2006 Dodge Charger R/T started sputtering and cutting off after filling with fuel. A strong odor would come from underneath. It will last for about 5-10 miles and stop. I have no more problems with it until I fill up again. It has been in the shop several times with me paying for dignostics but they can not find anything wrong.I have explained to them it only happens when I put fuel in it. Now that I am seeing these complaints, I am contacting the Dodge dealership to see if this is my problem. It is dangerous driving this car like this. I have to make sure I don't put fuel in it in the city because you will get stuck in traffic and risk getting in and accident. Why want the company do a recall on this problem, it is very serious and need to be fix before someone gets hurt or killed..

- Midway, FL, USA

Nov 112013

Charger

After filling tank to full and leaving gas station to make a left turn on green, vehicle engine stopped and had to restart twice in order to make the turn safely. Engine continued stalling until after approximately 4 miles it finally stayed running. This same occurrence happened before on several occasions, and read about other 2006 Charger 5.7 hemi owners having same issues. The car cannot be filled up with fuel completely which is a great inconvenience and danger, especially when you need to enter traffic or make a safe left or right turn. Dodge refuses to repair or acknowledge the issues, cannot get rid of the car and purchase something else as I am a disabled veteran.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Mar 132013

Charger

Filled my car with gas, drive approximately 1/4 mile to a stop light and the car died. Restarted with no problem but died again when stopping at the next light, about 1 mile farther..restartedand drove very badly for the next 6 miles...didn't do it again until I filled with gas. Took it to a mechanic and he said the error code was contaninated oil. I had recently had oil changed, but he changed it again and it didn't do it for a few months. It has now started ding it again, everytime I fill the tank with gas..am taking it to dealer tomorrow (11-2013)

- Redding, CA, USA

Oct 222013

Charger

I just finished refueling almost to full. Vehicle started perfectly. Drove approximately 2 blocks at 15 mph when the vehicle suddenly stalled and shut off. It took 3 attempts to restart. I drove approximately 4 more blocks at 15 mph when the vehicle suddenly stalled and shut off again. I had the vehicle towed to the repair shop that I use. The mechanic at the shop drove the vehicle. The vehicle stalled and shut off 2 times while the mechanic drove it. Vehicle was scanned for codes. No codes were displayed. The mechanic cleaned out the throttle body. Vehicle has been operating perfect since that time. One other note. One month prior, with 3/4 tank of fuel, fuel gauge suddenly dropped to empty and chiming sound began ringing for approximately 10 seconds. Vehicle did not stall or shut off. Fuel gauge then suddenly returned to 3/4 full and chiming sound stopped ringing.

- Albertson, NY, USA

May 132013

Charger

My car has begun stalling immediately after filling up the tank. Originally thought it was bad fuel the first two times it happened but I have now had this occur 5 or 6 times. The first couple miles after leaving the gas station, the car will stall both while idling at a red light, and while accelerating..

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

May 192013

Charger

This has happened at least three times now. Twice for sure leaving a gas station the first time I was approaching a stop sign leaving the gas station and it stalled out. Most recently I was leaving the gas station and had made it out on the road at about 35 mph when the veh stalled. I made it to the shoulder and shut it down. I was able to get it started again. It died again about 150 ft later. Luckily this was right in front of my mechanics shop. He looked at it today and told me I need a new fuel tank because raw fuel is getting pushed up through the vapor valve. I now see I'm not the only person with this issue. Clearly it's a problem with the valve.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA

Nov 012013

Charger

Every time I fuel up mt Charger R/T, it stalls when I am stopped. It has happened the last 3 times I have fueled my car. No lights come on in dash, nor any warnings. Sometimes it will just sputter when I go to take off. After a day it goes back to normal.

- Kempner, TX, USA

Nov 132011

Charger

The car bucked and acted like it was going to stall entering the freeway. This happened after filling up with fuel at the gas station. This condition has progressively gotten worst. When I fill up, I can only fill to approximately 3/4 full tank in order to prevent stalling when stopping or accelerating around a turn. Apparently there is a problem with the roll over valve on the top of the fuel tank. It stops working over time and allows raw fuel to enter the evaporative system that is only designed to handle vapors. This causes the bucking, stalling condition. This condition is extremely dangerous in traffic. This valve is not a serviced item and only comes with the fuel tank. The cost of a new fuel tank is about $800 + labor. Dodge should replace the tank for a minimal fee because of this defect. Please pursue before someone gets seriously injured or killed due to this issue.

- Templeton, CA, USA

Oct 282013

Charger

After filling up the car and pulled out of the driveway of the gas station had approached the intersection making a left turn the oil light went on and vehicle died suddenly. I have taken it to get repairs, was told at first it was the oil pressure sensor. When replaced the engine light went on with a code reading the oil pressure senor low voltage. Now they want to replace the connector/harness that I was told Chrysler-Dodge no longer makes that part. Very costly repair

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Oct 282013

Charger

Shortly after filling up the gas tank the car stalled repeatedly when stopping.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Oct 042013

Charger

My 2006 Dodge Charger stalls after I fill up the gas tank. The check oil light will come on and the car shuts off. This happens after I come to a stop after the fill-up. Eventually it stops stalling.

- Chester, VA, USA

Oct 202013

Charger

Car stalls while driving right after fuel fill up.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

May 082013

Charger

Vehicle stalled again today (October 19th, 2013) with no warning while making a left-hand turn at a major intersection. Filled up earlier today with no top off. Has happened multiple times prior since (May 2013). Dealer can not diagnose. Normally happens after fuel fill up. After complaining multiple times to the dealer, replaced all spark plugs and performed a transmission flush and re flashed the PCM at my expense, despite having warranty coverage through 2015 120K miles because they could not repeat the problem on a 5 minute test drive. The vehicle stalled again two days later. After more visits no solution has been met and this car is extremely unsafe.

- Ogdensburg, NY, USA

Aug 082012

Charger

After filling up with gas was turing onto a main road when car suddenly stalled. Dodge dealer could not find probelm. Happended several more time over the next couple of month after filling gas tank. Replaced fuel pumps per dealer recommendation. A couple of months later it happend again after filling tank. Did a search and found same problem with gas tank on this same model. In May 2013 replaced gas tank. On several of thiese instances of car stalling I was leaving gas station and turning into traffic when the vehicle stalled causing near accidents. This is going to cause a fatality if it hasn't already.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 222011

Charger

Every time you fill up the gas tank the car wants to stall. I'm told there is a solenoid in the gas tank that fails and it lets raw fuel go to the evap canister causing a stall condition. This solenoid vavle is molded into the gas tank and the only way to fix it is to replace the gas tank. This stall can happen while your sitting at a stop light or just pulling out into an intersection. The intersection situation is very dangerous.

- Bartonville, IL, USA

Sep 012012

Charger

After fueling up/topping off to the first shut-off only, after pulling away from the gas pump, the car hesitated, stalled and failed to restart right away. It has been increasing this behavior from rarely to almost every time I fuel up - I am now at 171, *** miles. Last night I fueled up, drove about 300 yards and parked for the night. This morning the car failed to start. After about 6 attempts, I floored the accelerator while cranking and the car started. After pulling out of the parking lot where I was parked and onto the highway, he car sputtered/hesitated 4 times (kind of like a bucking Bronco) about 70 yards down the road, with traffic catching up to me and then it settled back to its normal self. About 3 weeks ago, while traveling through Tennessee, I fueled up, pulled into the street and approached a red light and I stopped at which time the car did its hesitation and stalled. I tried to start the car, but it would not start. I hit the 4-way flashers and I sat there for about 25 seconds before the car was able to be started again. I don't use cheap gas, I don't gas up at a station if I see a tanker truck filling the tanks (or pulling out of the station) and I stop filling after the initial shut-off of the pump. On a side note, since day one (Sep 2005), when gassing up, I have to rest the pump handle on the filler door, which ends up putting the pump handle upside down at about the 10 or 11 O'clock position depending on the padding of the handle. Any other position would cause the pump handle to click off almost immediately when trying to fill the tank. From what I have read on various Charger forums, I am not the only one that has had the above "problems". I am afraid one of these days this behavior will lead to an accident with somebody getting hurt or possibly even killed, either in a rear-end collision or a T-bone collision.

- Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Sep 302013

Charger

I had refueled the car and drove about 10 miles toward my home, as I turned into my neighborhood the car stalled and would not restart. I coasted to my residence and stopped the car and turned the key to the off position. After 10 minuets I tried to start the car and it did, then surged and died again. Restarted the car again and pulled it in to the garage and shut it down.

- Broken Arrow , OK, USA

Sep 252013

Charger

I just got done filling my car with gas and while pulling up to the very first light after the gas station the car completely shut off. I kept trying to start it and it would just shut back off. After 5 minutes of that I was finally able to drive away. Now my engine light is on also.

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 112013

Charger

After fueling vehicle, the engine died within half mile on road. Put car in neutral to start engine, drove another 1-2 miles where car stalled and died again. Has happened after filling up car and only with full tank, stalling occurs within 0-15 miles, then does not stall. Have read several posting and discussions about this issue with same model/year cars. Heard about possible investigation for faulty fuel/vapor separator valve with cuts off fuel to engine and causes engine to stall. Had this happened to a driver who did not know how to react properly, or had a distracted driver not see my car stalled or stopped, this could have resulted in a serious problem. I had no power steering or power brakes and was not able to immediately restart vehicle in traffic, after momentary loss of power and finally able to restart the engine was I able to maneuver off the roadway safely.

- Goodyear, AZ, USA

Aug 162013

Charger

Just after filling the tank and merging on to the major deegan expressway (I-87N) car dead stalled in the highway, causing to vehicles behind me to slam on their brakes to avoid an accident. It took me ten minutes to get my car restarted. Engine would turn over but not remain on. But after ten minutes of trying this, car remained on and I was able to drive it home. I thought that I had been given some bad gas, until the incident repeated itself again after a fill up seven days ago at a gas station near my home. The owner there says he has seen a similar problem with other Chargers after fill up. I then called Chrysler at 1-800-992-1997 (tami/cami?) and Chrysler claimed they have never heard of this problem before and that I will have to take my car to the dealer and have it repaired at my own cost, but if they've never heard of any problem like this before then how do they know the dealer will know how to repair it?

- New York, NY, USA