2.0

2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 4 of 10)

Jul 132014

Charger 8-cyl

I first noticed an issue not long after buying the car. After every fill up (without topping off), within a few hundred feet of driving off the oil pressure light comes on and the car shuts off. It has not caused an accident yet but it is a huge annoyance and could cause future problems. I've read online that its an issue with the evap system. Its an expensive issue and is due to poor vehicle parts, not operator use and needs to be recalled and fixed.

- Twentynine Palms, CA, USA

May 082014

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger rt. The contact received a manufacturer's recall on the fuel/propulsion system however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Springfield, GA, USA

Feb 172011

Charger 8-cyl

I filled a complaint back in 2/02/12 NHTSA id # 10446316. Look at that complaint. Dodge has a problem with there fuel tanks that allows gas into the evap system, causing raw fuel to be sucked into the motor through the evap purge solenoid after a fill up. I did receive a call from a third party on behalf of Dodge. But there solution to the problem could have ended up costing me close to a $1000 dollars. I was not willing to take a chance and be on the hook for that. I simply asked that if the gas tank was the problem what would Dodge do about it, to which I was told we cannot say. The wanted my commitment but would offer none on there end. I even talked to the local Dodge dealership and from my conversation with the service department I really felt that they had no idea how an evap system works, they only wanted to try parts on it not find the root cause, and I felt like this would have been done at my expense. Therefore we learned to live with this problem. No I see that there has been a finding where Dodge acknowledges that there is a problem with some tanks in Chargers. My complaint was specific about what was happening (fuel getting into the purge solenoid after fill ups and motor stalling because of it). I felt that I should have been contacted about this after the findings since my complaint was dead on about this issue. Not only do I feel that Dodge has dropped the ball but your organization as well.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 252015

Charger 8-cyl

After filling tank 2006 Dodge Charger rt V8 stalled multiple times. First two still sitting at pump, next at intersection while turning right and also lost power steering, next at parking space while straightening out. Serious safety hazard, especially at intersections or stalling in traffic. Found NHTSA PE13016 regarding this issue, but I see it is closed and was only issued to certain vins. All affected models should be covered for the tank replacement and associated 'float' and vapor purge valve.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Jan 182015

Charger 8-cyl

On 4 separate occasions now within the past few months, my car will shut off on its own after I have filled it with fuel. The first 2 times the car shut off while in the fueling station parking lot. The third time occurred while I was driving on a three lane road traveling at 50mph. The last incident occurred at a major intersection causing my vehicle to block traffic. Each time was immediately after filling the car with gas. I use only premium fuel in the car and the fuel was purchased at different businesses. After allowing the car to sit for a minute or so, the car will restart and runs as normal. I have called a local Dodge dealer and was told there are no recalls and that there is no way for them to diagnose what could cause this to happen. I have been told by other Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 owners that they too have had this issue; car shutting off after fueling. My concern is that by stalling in an intersection or at high speed, eventually a wreck will occur. I am also concerned by the Dodge dealer's service department telling me there is no way to diagnose this issue.

- Post, TX, USA

Jan 142015

Charger 8-cyl

This problem started about a year age. At first it was once ever 3 months now it happening more often. On 1/14/2014 after filling the gas tank the car stalled nearly being rear ended on the expressway. This problem getting worse and worse everytime. This problem is going to take someone's life in an accident.

- San Ygnacio, TX, USA

Dec 012014

Charger

Recently, upon filling up my vehicle (I never top off and only fill to the click) I merged on to the interstate. At approximately 70 mph I noticed my car begin to sputter and rapidly degrease in speed. I pulled off to the shoulder and my car stalled several times until I finally got it running properly. Ever since this incident my car will stall several times after every fill up, whether I put 15 gallons in or 5 gallons in. This forces me to fill up in either rural areas or late at night so that I do not put myself or others at risk. This seems to be a common problem with many Chargers, magnums, and 300cs. This problem needs to be resolved before someone gets killed.

- Nolensville, TN, USA

Jan 082015

Charger

I was driving right after filling up my gas tank I stop at a red light and I feel my car kick so I go the back way home as I slow down for a speed bump my car completely shuts off I've did some reading and this happens a lot with the 2006 Chargers a lot.

- Newark, CA, USA

Sep 202014

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the fuel tank was refueled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician informed that the vehicle was functioning as designed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Annaplois, IN, USA

Dec 222014

Charger 8-cyl

Engine stalls after refueling. Usually at idle but has stalled while moving rendering power steering inoperative. Common to PE 13-016 NHTSA.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Dec 212014

Charger 8-cyl

Please refer to PE13-016 regarding similar complaints. After filling car with gas left gas station and car stalled in traffic. After a few minutes car started but I had to sit blocking traffic until it started again.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Dec 202014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up the gas tank vehicle was running, sitting in traffic. Engine stalled. Vehicle took a few minutes to restart as it sat in rush hour traffic. Research indicates this dangerous problem is common on this vehicle.

- Northridge , CA, USA

Dec 312012

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was refueled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- Largo, FL, USA

Sep 152014

Charger 8-cyl

PE13-016. Car stalls repeatedly after refueling.

- Millbury, OH, USA

Dec 052014

Charger

Car locked in park in the driveway. While driving in the rain all the dash lights flickered for 2-3 seconds then all lights and gauges shut down this included the headlights as well. While driving 55 miles per hour the car shut itself off I was in heavy traffic at the time. Car is now at the dealership again they cannot find the problem. I still have the same problems with dash lights flickering and the car stopping. Don't know if anyone else is having this problem but the car will also surge forward at a high rate of speed like I have stepped on the gas but my foot would be on the brake. This has happened several times and it scares me to death. These are safety issues that need to be corrected by the manufacture. Dealerships are aware of these issues and have done nothing to correct the problems. This will be the last Dodge I purchase even though I like to buy american made. An investigation should be done with so many complaints. I will be calling detroit with these issues.

- Concord, NC, USA

Apr 152014

Charger

After refueling, the car stalls at speed. This pretty much now happens after every fill up. The car always restarts, but usually happens 2-4 times after initially refueling. The danger is, it sometimes happens at speed, the car quickly decelerates in traffic making it dangerous. Many times we have had to pull off the road in traffic to restart.

- Millbury , OH, USA

Oct 012014

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 40 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was restarted, but the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Jul 192006

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up with gas car will either stall right away or sometimes after a few miles when car stalls loose power steering and brakes making for a very dangerous situation.

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Nov 142014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up with gas drove out of gas station and car stalled started it up and I drove a couple blocks and it did it again drove about 1/2 mile it did it again. It was scary I was in heavy traffic.

- Tinlry Pk, IL, USA

Nov 032014

Charger 8-cyl

After refilling the gas tank, the engine stalled several times with "bucking". the tank was not overfilled. After about 5 miles and several stalls, the condition went away and did not reoccur until I gassed up at a different station two weeks later. Again the tank was not overfilled. Internet search indicates that this is being investigated as PE13-016. Prior to this there has been no similar incidents. Others have had similar issues.

- Concord Twp, OH, USA