2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Jul 012015

Charger 8-cyl

2006 Dodge Charger. Consumer writes in regards to replacement parts not available to complete fuel tank and airbag recall notices. The consumer stated after filling the vehicle with gas, the vehicle would then stall. For the next year, the vehicle stalled occasionally. In may of 2014, the consumer received a notice regarding an extended warranty on the fuel tank. The consumer attempted to get the vehicle repaired numerous times, only to be told the parts were not available for the fuel tank or the air bag.....updated 09/08/15..updated 05/19/16

- Bunnell, FL, USA

Apr 302014

Charger 8-cyl

While stopped at a traffic light, after having just left a gas station and filling the gas tank, the vehicle stalled. This has happened numerous times now at slow speeds as well. Does not occur every time, but does occur often and always within minutes of refueling.

- Euclid, OH, USA

Dec 022014

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling car starts jerking a little, then lights go dim and car shuts off. This is the second time I have noticed it and I am not topping the fuel because somesaid not to. I was also going around a roundabout and car shut off. It has happend 4 times since I fueled today.

- Pasco, WA, USA

Jan 082015

Charger 8-cyl

My 2006 Dodge Charger has began to stall after a gas fill-up. It is very scary because it does not matter how fast you are driving. I had it stall about 5 times after filling up today. One in which I was going 40 mph. The steering wheel locks up and it is very dangerous. I am very concerned for the safety if myself and family.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Dec 102014

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls after filling gas tank, at speed or idling. No codes or other indications.

- Atascadero, CA, USA

Dec 182013

Charger 8-cyl

Typical problem related by many after refueling the engine dies and thus, for over a year now, I never fill to more than 16 gallons. But, if one turns left with fuel level around 16 gallons, the engine quickly dies leaving the vehicle vulnerable in the middle of a busy intersection without steering or brakes. Left hand turns now have to be made at a very slow speed after refueling which can also create a dangerous situation. This is clearly a recall issue and Chrysler needs to own up to this sorry issue with a prestigious automobile.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Dec 112014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up at gas station, car stalls in traffic when fuel is sucked into vapor recovery system. Dealer says fuel tank replacement is not covered by any recalls.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

May 012014

Charger 8-cyl

My car will stall out while driving or sitting. I have tried to research what the problem, others indicated a fuel purge valve. My cars runs fine other wise but this should not be happen.

- Commerce City, Co, CO, USA

Nov 202014

Charger 8-cyl

Full tank fill for trip to Florida from North Carolina. Car stalled within in few blocks from gas station. Restart and stall several times. Let idle for awhile and noticed RPM's going up and down at idle. Finally got going and fueled with a full tank 2 times on way to Florida, same problem each time. Contacted dealership in deland Florida and was told I had a faulty fuel float and would have to replace fuel tank or I could wait until I got back to North Carolina. They said if I only filled to 3/4 it should be fine. I did that and got back to North Carolina. Took car to dealership in greensboro, North Carolina. They were familiar with this problem. They did a diagnostic test by filling fuel tank and encountered the same problem. They contacted Chrysler for warranty. Chrysler denied it. I contacted Chrysler and got a case number. I talked to several people and was told they would call me back. None of them called back, so I had to make calls. They denied for reasons: VIN not covered, car built in wrong month, car has salvage title, not covered under X53 or Chrysler service bulletin #14-002-14 issued in February 2014.. I asked for a letter of denial. They refused. Said I could contact an attorney if I wanted a letter. The cost for this known problem will be $1,250. I have had Dodge and Chrysler vehicles sine 1969. Not a way to treat a good customer.

- Summerfield, NC, USA

Sep 302014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up my gas tank and driving off the gas station lot onto a main road my car stalled and died almost causing the car behind me to run into the back of my car. My car continued to stall all the way home. It restarted after stalling but put me in a very dangerous position. I could not drive the car anywhere in fear that it would stall again. I had to pay to have it towed (money which I do not have) to a service station where they told me that there was a known issue of a fuel system problem. I called the car dealer and they did in fact acknowledge that there is a problem and the fuel tank will be replaced at no charge. I have now been waiting several months for a gas tank. The dealership has stated that they are not receiving any fuel tanks. I need my vehicle to get back and forth to school. I can not get a job because I have no transportation to and from. This is really put a hardship on me. I called another dealership only to find that they are having the same problem. Why are there no tanks being sent to the dealerships to fix this problem? I can not drive a car that puts my life in danger as well as the lives of others.

- Hazelwood, MO, USA

Jul 282014

My car was using way too much gas compared to what it used to and was running poorly so I took it in for a tune up. The filters, plugs, fluids, etc. Were done. About two weeks after the tune up I began to have trouble. At first I thought it was the shop that had done the tune up but after reading hundreds of letters from other people, I know now that it is the car. This is what happens: When I began to accelerate after stopping at stop sign, my car lost all power and died within two blocks of the stop sign. The car started up and seemed fine. Approximately a week and a half later, again, I was accelerating from a stop sign and the car stalled about 4 blocks from the stop sign. This continued to happen intermittently until september15, 2014, when the car died when I was approaching the stop sign and had to be towed. I have 5 grandchildren that I Transport daily and this car is just not safe to do so anymore. Thank goodness I have not gone out of town with a car load of children and have this happen.

- Tucumcari, NM, USA

Jan 182014

Charger 8-cyl

After I stop and fill my gas tank, my car will stall and shut off while driving. I was almost rear ended leaven the gas station because the car just shut off on me. This will only after I fill my gas tank to full.

- Riverdale, MD, USA

Jul 252012

Charger 8-cyl

Re:PE13-016 re: Dodge/Chrysler X53 - 19 fuel tank vehicle began shutting off about a mile down the road after refueling. Upon receiving "extended warranty" letter from Chrysler - May 8, 2014, called dealer to have part replaced. Part has been on "backorder" for last 2 months. I keep getting told "you are next in line to receive part" from the dealer and the Dodge customer service center toll free line. This is unacceptable when you are driving down the road and for no reason or fault of yours, the car begins to stall or cut off completely. My car has cut off while making a turn across two lanes of traffic - luckily no one was coming and I was able to coast across the lanes..."safely". my car has cut off going down the road at 40-50 miles an hour. This is a very dangerous situation. And truth be know, this needs to be a recall and handled promptly by Chrysler. I have several documented calls into Chrysler. No one can tell me when part will be ordered or sent to dealer or status of situation. Please help consumers get this problem escalated. Thank you.

- Madison, AL, USA

Aug 152014

Charger 8-cyl

I filled my gas tank getting ready to go on a trip and vehicle started stalling out without warning, engine would just shut down. I have been told that there is a known problem with the 2006 Dodge Chargers with the fuel tank.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Charger 8-cyl

This car stalls for the first 20-30 miles after filling the gas tank. It stalls in the middle of intersections, while idling, when cruising at highway speeds, etc...

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Jul 242014

Charger 8-cyl

After fill up car stalled shortly after, while in traffic, car started up and shut down immediately. I was able to make it home, but car kept turning on and shutting down at idle and low speed.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Jul 182014

Charger 6-cyl

I was stopped to make a left turn. I began making a left and the car stalled. An oncoming van nearly T'd my car at 40 mph. This was the third incident in the past month. This car should be recalled before Chrysler/Dodge faces a similar fate as GM.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Mar 152013

Charger 8-cyl

My 2006 Dodge Charger stalls and dies when I am driving at low speeds or when I stop. This usually occurs after I have refueled my car. On the last occurrence my car died in an intersection. The car usually restarts after I turn the key. However, the other day it took several tries to restart it again.

- Laplace, LA, USA

Jul 192014

Charger 6-cyl

Just an update since my first complaint in June 2014. The car continues to stall several times after every fill up. Today, it died in the middle of an intersection twice (with oncoming traffic) and then died a third time when I was past the intersection but within the same block. I wish my husband had never purchased this car.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Jul 082014

Charger 8-cyl

I was sitting at a stop light, the light turned green. I proceeded to go through the light and intersection (4-way very busy highway) and the car stalled locking up the steering wheel, lighting up the dash. I managed to maneuver just enough to get to the side of the road before someone rear ended me. This is not the first time this has happened but this was one of the times my child was with me during a very hectic day and it could have resulted in a major crash. Something needs to be done about the fuel cutting off or whatever is causing the car to cut off after filling up the car, it happens every time we put gas in the car.

- Roanoke, VA, USA