2.2

2007 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Dodge Charger:

2007 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 012012

Charger 8-cyl

My 2007 Charger is having the same problem that so many others have had... while driving, all the warning lights come on at once, fan (heat, A/C) goes dead, all gauges drop to zero and automatic headlights turn off... after a couple seconds, everything goes back to normal except for the headlights, those have to be manually turned on... this was happening once in a while before, but now is happening multiple times a day. Dealership has no answers and I called the 1 800 number for Dodge with no luck. Has anyone had this diagnosed properly and fixed?

- Kings Park, NY, USA

Feb 272012

Charger

My vehicles engine light was on while I was taking it to get inspected. Aaa ran a test to find out as to why the engine light was on. The diagnostics should a problem with the plenum, air intake valve and the car needed a reflash or update in the cars computer. I took the vehicle down to a Dodge dealership and found out that the plenum is a common fail part and is a dealer only part and cost $969 to replace. After having the reflash done on my vehicle and finding out about the plenum I returned to aaa to find out if they could fix the problem cheaper. They then checked the recall list to see if their were any recalls. The recalls for my vehicle were for the cars computer system, the interlock mechanism for the clutch, and the radiator fan. After finding out about the reflash being on recall I called the dealership in an attempt to get my money back and was told recalls are VIN specific, even though distributed by regular mechanics. After fixing the engine light problem and getting my car inspected, 3 days later the interlock mechanism broke and would not allow me to move the clutch to put car in gear. I took it to the dealership again and paid for a diagnostics and was told the problems I am having are all listed in the recalls but they can not fix due to recalls being VIN specific. I paid $478 for interlock to be fixed. I have two more items on my vehicle listed for recall and I now keep getting a lightning bolt warning sign on my dash when my vehicle is idle. I have paid for 2 out of 4 recalls that should have been taken care of by the dealership but were nt due to them being VIN specific even though everything matches up what's wrong with my vehicle and what is being recalled.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 062010

Charger 6-cyl

The electronic throttle control causes the car to lose power while driving. It makes it impossible to accelerate. It usually happens on a cold start and has happened on occasion after the car has warmed up. The dealer claims that they can't do anything about it unless it happens while at the dealership, because there is no way to read an error code.

- Canton, MI, USA

May 132011

Charger 6-cyl

Electrical pass through stud located at right side firewall/floor area shorted out resulting in total loss fire to police vehicle. Main power cable from battery not fused to this location. Electrical engineer hired confirmed shorting. Full report w/photos available if requested. Please investigate.

- Otley , IA, USA

Jul 282011

Charger

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Charger. While driving less than 10 mph, the contact applied the brakes and the vehicle continued to accelerate; however, after numerous attempts the vehicle came to a stop. In addition, smoke was emitting from underneath the hood. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road, the contact detected flames underneath the hood. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who stated the failure originated from the fuse box. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Aberdeen, SD, USA

Oct 222010

Charger

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Charger. The contact attempted to start the ignition. The engine failed to operate. Suddenly, smoke emitted from underneath the hood. The contact exited the vehicle. The fire department extinguished the small flames which originated from the battery. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 102010

Charger

I own a 2007 Dodge Charger. Biggest piece of junk ever in my drive way. I was excited when the challenger came out, my daughter would get the Charger and momma would get the new challenger. I can say, that wont be happening. In the three years I've had this car, I have had to spend several hundred dollars to have the transmission fixed from leaking fluid. A part I was told that was manufactured incorrectly, but no recall, I had to purchase the fix kit myself. Within 6 months from this happening, the instrument cluster went out. Loosing all electronics in the car. Again, no recall another $600+ out of my pocket. Now just this week the "pink thinky" has messed up. This left me stranded in any empty parking lot at work on a Friday afternoon and my husband an hour away. Thank goodness the mechanic shop I go to could tell me how to override and get me home. Of course I called the Dodge dealership first, but low and behold the service department could not help me. The answer, "I can send a tow truck. I do know there is an override but I'm not sure how it works." Really! three things right there a recall should be issued on! this car should not have the problems it does without someone taking responsibility for correcting it. Mitsibishi has Dodge beat by along shot! 00 galant, was traded in for the Charger with 260K miles on it, never spent 1 dime that was not for routine maintenance, and it still ran, drove and handled like it did the day I bought it. But I just had to have the new Dodge Charger, big mistake on my part! there will never be another Dodge anything in my driveway. I know Dodge does not care, I'm just one out of millions but they should! Dodge can go bankrupt totally, and never manufacture another thing and my work would keep right on revolving!

- Boyd, TX, USA

Mar 052010

Charger

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Charger. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph. The windshield wiper was activated; however, when the windshield wiper was deactivated, the motor continued to function. Also, the motor remained operable after the engine was turned off. The vehicle had not been repaired when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 60,000. The current mileage was 61,000.

- Randallstown, MD, USA

May 102009

Charger

Vehicle caught on fire and burned.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 042009

Charger

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start. The gaskets were replaced and new tires were installed on May 1, 2009. The alarm indicator was the only gauge he remembered illuminating on the instrument panel. The vehicle has not been taken to the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 34,725.

- Compton, CA, USA

Mar 072009

Charger

I purchased my 2007 Dodge Charger SE on Feb 17 2009. I had multiple problems when I bought the vehicle including the airbag light being on which they fixed by recalibrating the unit. The left washer fluid module had to be replaced and the passenger headlight had condensation that was poorly repaired by placing silcone around my headlight. The shop also said that they had to recalibrate the transmission because it was slipping and was causing my speedometer to drop to 0 but the RPM would never move and the car would not lose power. On March 7 I drove 90 miles away from home when I exited my vehicle and got about 10 feet away the car exploded in flames. The car drove beautifully the entire trip never hesitated and never overheated, never indicated any kind of problem!!!! the entire front of my car to the dash was completely melted within 5 minutes of the car exploding. Luckily I did not have my children with me and I was not in home as I park my new vehicle in the garage, I would have lost everything I own. The fire department had to bust out the rear window to get my purse because the only key hole is in the front door and the fob would not work to unlock the car. This is a huge safety hazard!!! if my 2 small children had been in the car I would have not been able to get them out in time because of how fast the car exploded!!! the fire department determined that it was the electrical system under the hood. The dealership I bought the vehicle from 2 weeks ago told me to go !@#$%myself and deal with my insurance company that it has nothing to do with them. Please if you have this car or are considering buying this car please please don't do it!!!!

- Versailles, KY, USA

Jan 202008

Charger

This has been an on going problem with my car since I bought it January 2008 I have all paper work on the car. This month alone February 20, 2009 it has been in the shop three times already. It has been in the shop for tire rims, key not working, engine light coming on all the time, stereo, speakers, had another light come on and I had to tow it myself. This is a 2007 Dodge Charger V6. I need some help on what to do, I drive my children and grand children in this car and I'm scared that I will be stranded some place, you don't know if the car is going to act up or not each day I pay alot of money to have and drive this car and I do not feel safe.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Jan 302009

Charger

Keyless remote fobs suddenly only started working on and off to unlock doors. At times, have to press remote unlock 15 or more times to get it to work. Happens throughout the day, every day. Changed batteries, still did not help. Working with a dealership to determine possible problem.

- Saint Helens, OR, USA

Feb 272008

Charger

While driving my 2007 Dodge Charger my cell phone Charger caught on fire in my console. The dealership said that this was not warrantied. I had to pay $1,000 out of pocket. This fire was not put there by me. I did not start the fire. We had to pull fuse out of outlet because the fire continued blazing. I think this is a factory defect. I have a kawasaki dealership and if this would have happened on our unit, . kmc would have covered it. How can Dodge expect me to buy extended warranty when basic did not cover my outlet catching on fire. My cell phone was being charged when the fire started.

- Op, LA, USA

Apr 272008

Charger

This is the 3rd time this has happen and I have 12,000 miles on my 07 Dodge Charger. I love my car but I am terrified that something bad may happen to me while driving it because when driving 60 mph on the highway my speedometer drops to "zero" then back to normal speed.... the car has only jerked 1X when this has happened and other times there is no change. The first time the dealership found there was a faulty computer and had to replace it. I told them on that first visit that there was very loud knocking on the left side of the front of the car also at this time. The second time they tried updating the soft wear and now they are working on it yet again!!!! I am so afraid of this thing giving out on me on the busy highway.

- Florissant , MO, USA

Feb 012008

Charger 6-cyl

2007 Dodge Charger with several problems. Consumer states that the vehicle shakes very hard while stopped at a light or parking, and the speedometer drops while driving not showing the accurate speed. The vehicle has also stalled twice. The dealer replaced several components in the vehicle, however the problem continued.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Apr 012007

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Dodge Charger. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle shut down. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The dealer stated that the failure was unrecognizable and no repairs were made. The current mileage was 15,000 and failure mileage was 1,500.

- Franklin, TN, USA