2.0

2008 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Charger:

2008 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 192014

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the starter and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Nov 142014

Charger

On my way to the gas station to fill up my tank, when I arrive I put my car in park and as I'm about to step out the car rolls back, I'm thinking maybe I put it in reverse by accident but no it was in park but it got stuck in reverse my car has almost 80K mikes on it 2008 Dodge Charger. This incident almost made me hit the car behind me because it rolled back luckily for emergency brakes it didn't. had to have my car towed the tiw truck driver knew how to put it back in park so he did as I called the dealership they said no recall for my transmission not for my car, you would think since the recall is about the transmission linkage bwcomeing loose or something and startling the driver and can result in a crash it would be covered but nope these dealerships never want to help you, just createmore pproblems. What happens if I didn't get out the car, slow and it rolled back and hit the car until this day my car is stillwhere the tow truck pparked

- Davie, FL, USA

Nov 012014

Charger

My engine light is on in the car and I have contacted several Chrysler dealerships and they are telling me that the parts for repair are not in. I have a fear of driving because the safety recall is so dangerous.

- West Bloomfied , MI, USA

Oct 032014

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 10 mph, the engine stalled and the vehicle failed to restart. The dealer stated that the win module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000. Updated 11/20/14

- Normal, IL, USA

Mar 252013

Charger

This vehicle occasionally stalls out, it can happen once and not again for 4 or 5 months or it can happen numerous times in a short period of time. This usually happens at low speed and there is no warning when it will happen, the radio, lights and windows all work, however the fuel gauge goes to zero. I have had the vehicle checked by Firestone and also an independent mechanic and the tests shows nothing is wrong.. until the vehicle recreates the situation when it is in the shop, the problem cannot be identified. Although it usually happens at low speeds, it is an extremely dangerous situation. I have had the car stall out numerous times when I am pulling out of a parking lot into traffic, or when I am accelerating after a red light. It is only a matter of time before this causes an accident with injuries.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Jun 112012

Charger

Car randomly began to shut off right after starting or sometimes while driving. It got to the point where it shut off and it wouldn┐┐T start again. I towed it to the dealership and they advised me that I need to replace ignition module and key fob also need to reprogram. The total came up to $ $696.18. Two years went by and it was working ok until one day again, randomly began to shut off right after starting or sometimes while driving. Is this issue related to the Chrysler ignition recall? I would like to know because I am not spending another price now $ 800+ on a new module and fob.

- Valrico, FL, USA

May 282014

Charger

I was driving down a street when all of a sudden my vehicle started to shake. I pulled over and found out the my cooling fan had broken off sending the blades into my radiator causing the system to loose coolant. I spent over 400 dollars for repairs. This is a common problem from what I red and I feel that I should be reimburse for the coat of the repairs and have Chrysler perform a check for any other damages it might of caused.

- Borger, TX, USA

Jul 192014

Charger

I was driving and stop to get few things from store, left car running and notice wired noise like something hit the car, I walk out and check for visual damage and notice antifreeze leak out. Got home and find out that driver side radiator fan blade are separated and make a holes on radiator. I don't understand how this can happen.

- Sarasota , FL, USA

Jul 122014

Charger

Cooling fan hit fan shroud breaking off a piece that hit the radiator.. this caused loss of radiator coolant. Fans and radiator had to be replaced along with coolant. According to Dodge forum this problem has been recalled on some same vehicles (2008 Chargers) but mine has not been recalled or notified that this could occur. Fortunately the car was at idle when this happened. No injury occurred. This is a design defect or part failure and owners should be compensated for towing and repair.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled with out warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the catalytic converter needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 165,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 202013

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and resumed normally. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on three occasions where the failure was unable to be duplicated. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Gary , IN, USA

Mar 272014

Charger 6-cyl

I recently been driving (Charger)to work because my other car was in the shop so I was leaving work one day and I hear a noise that was coming from the front of the car I had it towed so I took it to a shop and they told my it was a rod and I said was that and how did that could of happen they explain to me so than I took it to two more shop and everybody said the same thing that my vehicle is well maintain and that this should not have happened and that a lot of people been complaining about the same issue.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 112013

Charger

Vehicle shut off/stalled multiple times while driving or making a stop. Many other people owning Dodge cars, Charger, challenger, and some other models have been dealing with this for years. It has happened to me 4 times since I bought my car in 2012, the first time it happened while braking to make a left turn the car stalled completely all my dash lights came on I had to pull over and restart the engine. Second time I was doing bout 40mph in a local road when the car suddenly shut off for no reason, same thing dash lights came on I put it in neutral and restarted the engine. I did a google search on this problem and I found many complaints from Dodge owners of this models having the same problem and Dodge isn't doing nothing bout it even after multiple complaints from the public. They probably waiting like GM for people to be harm or killed to start doing recalls.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Jan 272014

Charger 6-cyl

Was pulling into a gas station and the engine stalled. Went to start it and would not start had it towed to a dealership and they replaced the starter. As soon as it started up there was a knock on the engine. As the mechanic claimed it's "rod knock" and claimed that the oil was never replace. The place that I bought it from did the oil change and have proof they did it. The engine ran fine before hand and no longer operates correctly.

- Corinth , NY, USA

Jan 212014

Charger 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Dodge Charger with the 3.5 engine. It is using 1 quart per 400 miles. I know this is a common problem with this engine. Is there a class action lawsuit for this problem.

- Oakland City, IN, USA

Jun 222013

Charger 8-cyl

I stopped my Dodge Charger in the gas station parking lot. I just finished washing my Charger and was on my way to a car show. I stopped at the gas station to wait for the rest of the people in my group. My girlfriend exited her vehicle and got into my car. I started my car back up to run the A/C. within a few seconds of starting my car up, I heard a loud bang. I immediately turned my car off and exited my vehicle. As I got out of my vehicle, I observed a small stream of green fluid (antifreeze) running beneath my vehicle. I popped my hood and observed my radiator was damaged again. I also observed that my cooling fan was in pieces again. But this time it was my passenger side cooling fan. I had my car towed to the same body shop as last year and the mechanic there advised me to look into an recalls involving the cooling system of my car. He explained that it occurred the same way as the other fan did a year ago. At that time I saw a customer satisfaction notification L08 that involved Dodge Chargers 2006-2008. I read the notification and learned that my vehicle was not covered by this notification. My Dodge Charger was originally sold in Florida and I bought it in Florida. My Charger was manufactured on 10/10/2007 and my Charger is a 2008. I felt like my car was covered by this notification in several ways. But Chrysler claims that my VIN was not covered due to the sales code, even though the defect the notification mentioned was precisely the same. (two realted voqs from same complainant: 1023591, 10523589)

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Jun 212012

Charger

On June 21st of 2012, while my car was sitting in the parking lot running with my kids in the car, my A/C was running to keep them cool. It was over 100* outside and my kids needed to stay cool. I was out of my car for a matter of minutes and I heard a loud popping sound. As I turned to my car, I saw a large pool of antifreeze under my car. I turned my car off and turned my car into the body shop that I was parked in front of to fix it. They advised that my cooling fan fell apart and caused damage to my radiator. This required my to replace the cooling fan and the radiator. It only required me to replace the driver's side cooling fan at this time. I was unaware of any problems with the Dodge Chargers cooling fans at this time. (two realted voqs from same complainant: 1023591, 10523589)

- Newburgh, IN, USA

Jun 212013

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph a loud popping and banging noise emitted from underneath the hood. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The driver noticed that the fan assembly and radiator both fractured as a result of a large amount of antifreeze leakage. In addition, steam emitted from underneath the hood. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The manufacturer issued a customer satisfaction notification related to the electronic power cooling fan. The reference was number L08. The VIN was not included in the customer satisfaction notification. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 182,000.

- Clemons, NC, USA

Jun 082013

Charger

Ignition modulator switch shut the car completly down as the was coming to a stop this part attaches into the computer and can go at anytime even when driving. Chrysler has a major back order on this part and has no idea when they can get the part to the dealerships to correct the issue. There are over 1000 vehicles currently with issue across the usa. I have checked with dealerships from NJ as far as mo after they check the database in the parts department I get the same answer no part in stock.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 052013

Charger 6-cyl

Driving down the highway the engine just shut off. No lights came on prior to this. I pulled over and it started back. I went back toward my home (20 miles) and stopped at a store and when I pulled back on the road it shut off again. It started back but left me afraid to drive the car anymore. This is very dangerous and I suspect it has something to do with the fobik key turning back to the off position on its on, because sometimes when I start it sticks in the start position and does not spring back.

- Mckee, KY, USA