2.1

2008 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Charger:

2008 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 232016

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving 20 mph, the driver heard an unusual noise from the front of the vehicle and noticed fluid that resembled antifreeze leaking from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the cooling fan blade was fractured. Also, shrouds of the fan went through the radiator, which caused a leak and damaged the radiator. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 54,000.

- Franklin, LA, USA

Jun 232016

Charger

While driving on the freeway, the driver side electric cooling fan blade broke and punctured a hole into the radiator causing my car to overheat.

- Cabazon, CA, USA

May 252016

Charger

While driving in rush hour traffic, the cooling system fan blades came apart and the shrouds of the fan went thru the radiator causing immediate leakage of all coolant and destroying the radiator. I almost got into an accident because of this. This caused loss of radiator coolant. Fans and radiator will have to be replaced along with coolant. According to Dodge, this has been recalled on some same vehicles (2008 Chargers) but mine has not been recalled or notified that this could occur. They stated in the attached document that they know they have installed a defective part that can cause future car damage, but won't do anything to fix it. I was refused since my VIN is not covered" by this notification, even though my car is in a warm climate state (Florida) and my make, model, year of vehicle are exact to the described issue in the notification

- Clearawter, FL, USA

Apr 122016

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The contact stated that the engine warning light illuminated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Apr 032016

Charger

2008 Charger police edition properly maintenanced it's entire life has a had piston in 3 cylinder at 130,000 I was told if I drive it again it will throw a rod so now I it's time for another motor that probably won't last another 100,000 the motors are junk it's well known that these motors have engine problems and start going as soon as warranty is up.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Dec 172015

Charger

The engine just died while driving and wouldn't start up again.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Nov 172015

Charger

On 4 separate occurances while car in motion the car engine stalled and required restarting. Various speeds at time of stalls 5 - 45 mph. The first time it happened I was driving over a set of bumpy railroad tracks at which time the car engine stalled and had to be restarted in neutral. The other times I was on level roadway when car engine stalled and required restarting. The most recent incident happened 11/17/15 and the car engine stalled 2 times in one day at a speed of 45 mph. When turning the key to the right to start the vehicle it tends to hang up and get stuck in that position. I found that a recall was done on certain 2008 Dodge Chargers regarding ignition switch problems so I called to see if my vehicle was included in the recall. It is not included - this is a very dangerous problem and I travel a major interstate daily. I would like to have my vehicle included in the recall for the faulty ignition switch. I did have my car checked for indicator codes to see if there were any problems indicated and nothing found.

- Vidor, TX, USA

Oct 132015

Charger

Takata recall: TL* the contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. When attempting to start the vehicle, the ignition seized randomly and the check engine light lluminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V567000 (electrical system) and 15V313000 (air bags). The parts to do the recall repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 165,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Patterson, CA, USA

Jun 182015

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that when the fob was inserted in the ignition, it had to be maneuvered in order for the vehicle to start. The contact also stated that while driving 40 mph and approaching a stop light, the engine stalled without warning. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine rod failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 102,000.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Jul 152015

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 15 mph and making a turn, the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system); however, the part was unavailable to perform the repair. The contact also received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags). The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall remedy. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.

- Troy, MO, USA

Jun 232015

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. After the vehicle was started, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact also received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 102014

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While traveling at 10 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system). The part to do the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Sep 142015

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving 60 mph, the engine stalled without warning but was able to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V567000 (electrical system) and 15V313000 (air bags). The parts to do the recall repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jul 202015

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving at approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000. The VIN was not available.

- Huntington , NY, USA

Apr 092013

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The contact stated that the instrument cluster illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician stated that the module failed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Patchouge, NY, USA

Sep 232013

Charger

Vehicle has had multiple issues with ignition switch, sometimes as soon as I start the car then engine will die. I thought initially that I was doing something wrong and I let it pass because this vehicle is not heavily used, but started seeing online that people were complaining for similar issues. I tried switching keyfobs but that did not solve the issue. Fortunately, I've never had the engine die on me while driving, but seems like it could happen. I now have removed everything from my key chain for this car and basically drive the car with only a very light key ring attached to the key. I also have been trying to get this issue fixed since the recall notice came to me. That was last year! I've repeatedly called the dealership and they claim they do not have parts for this recall. A few weeks ago (today is 9/24/2015) I got a new notice to take the car in, called the dealership, got the car in the shop; service advisor called me in the afternoon stating that Chrysler does not have parts!! and they do not know when they'll be available. This recall (P57) and (R25) are issues that can cause loss of function without warning. To me it is unbelievable that the company is not making sure parts are available. That is totally unacceptable.

- Rolling Meadows, IL, USA

Sep 012015

Charger

Car does not start immediately due to ignition switch recall. Ignition switch has been on recall since November 2014. Part still not in. Currently on back order.

- Boardman, OH, USA

Sep 072015

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While parking the vehicle in a driveway, the contact noticed flames coming from under the hood. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. A police and a fire report were filed. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V567000 (electrical system) and 15V313000 (air bags). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that a investigator would be assigned to inspect the vehicle. The failure mileage was not available.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 112015

Charger

My wife had parked the car after driving it 5 miles, it would not restart we sent it to our mechanic and he also could get it to start after they checked it on the computer they tore down the engine to find the number 4 cylinder crumbled sending metal parts all through the engine. My wife used the car for her job cleaning condo's, she owns the business so she does a lot of short runs to various locations, not high speed or even highways. He sent us the picture, we have been using tuffy's for a while as our main repair shop for our other vehicles as well. You could see the rim of piston 4 was 3/4 gone.

- Panama City Beeach, FL, USA

Feb 132015

Charger

Upon purchasing the vehicle on 01/31/2015 the first incident where the vehicle just cut off when I stopped at a red light happened on 02/13/2015 and then numerous times after that, I was able to crank the car back up and proceeded to drive. I took the vehicle to a private dealer and he told me that it was an electrical problem, that the vehicle isnt receiving power to the engine. It happened again yesterday on 09/02/15. I fear for the safety of my children and that of my patients, my job requires that I travel from city to city receiving patient care, this is the only vehicle that I have at the moment and cannot afford monthly payments on another vehicle. I also reported this problem to Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership to the one here in enterprise, al and to the one in dothan, al and they both told me that I am on a waiting list and they will call me as soon as the parts are in. I can no longer wait its happening more frequent now.

- Enterprise, AL, USA